• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ok with growling.
Dark at dawn sounds pretty good, I'm gonna check more of their songs.

High on fire led me to Sleep (This blew me away http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3XYhXaPitE&feature=related )which led to Orange Goblin and Cathedral and I think they're all right up my alley.

Turns out they are something called 'Stoner rock'. I like this slow, sludgy feel more than the epic operatic. I also found this compilation and I'm really enjoying it:

Burn One Up!: Music for Stoners [1997] [Compilation]
1 Queens of the Stone Age - 18 A.D.
2 Karma to Burn - Ma Petit Mort
3 Fu Manchu - Asphalt Risin'
4 The Heads - Gnu
5 Spiritual Beggars - Monster Astronauts
6 Floodgate - Feel You Burn
7 Slaprocket - Holy Mother Sunshine
8 Leadfoot - Soul Full Of Lies
9 Celestial Season - Wallaroo
10 Cathedral - You Know
11 Acrimony - Bud Song
12 Blind Dog - Lose
13 Sleep - Aquarian
14 Hideous Sun Demons - Icarus Dream
15 Beaver - Green

Don't you love it when you find exactly what you were looking for? Thanks gaf and keep those recs coming.
Sounds like you need some Saint Vitus.

SoulPlaya has posted lots of doom metal so check out his posts.

ShaneB

First of all, yeah I'm a metal noob. I know my rock, so I'm not completely music illiterate, but metal not so much.

I was playing Nation Red and Killing Floor (zombie-shoot-shoot-kill-kill games, in case you don't know them) which have generic loopy "metal" for soundtracks. So I turned the music volume off and listened to this instead while playing:

The number of the beast
Sabbath
Reign in blood
White Zombie
Pantera
AC/DC
Rammstein
Motorhead
The big 4 concert in Sofia

Could you please recommend something to add to my limited selection?

I could list recommendations all day, and it's always AWESOME to see someone get deeper into metal and discover the depth of the genre, but it does take a bit of knowledge to really get the best suggestions out. There are plenty of 'gateway' bands that will lead to more and more bands.

My playlist today at work has been Kalmah, so I'll recommend them!

Kalmah - Bullets Are Blind

yacobod

Banned
Arise is Sepultura's best, and destroys BtR.

If you don't like brutal thrash, then i'd guess i agree with you. Arise is watered down beneath the remains. The best song on arise wouldn't even make the top 5 on BTR. Rigorous scientific analysis has led me to conclude that arise has less riffs than the song from the past comes the storms.

If you don't like brutal thrash, then i'd guess i agree with you. Arise is watered down beneath the remains. The best song on arise wouldn't even make the top 5 on BTR. Rigorous scientific analysis has led me to conclude that arise has less riffs than the song from the past comes the storms.

Arise was a huge leap forward for the band. I remember buying it when it came out, and it gave me chills the first listen. It was not only light years beyond BtR, but everything else out there (other than Justice). Nothing else was even close. The acoustic intros still hold up as some of the best on any metal album ever.

BtR is essential once you get into the band, but that's it.

sgossard

I could list recommendations all day, and it's always AWESOME to see someone get deeper into metal and discover the depth of the genre, but it does take a bit of knowledge to really get the best suggestions out. There are plenty of 'gateway' bands that will lead to more and more bands.

My playlist today at work has been Kalmah, so I'll recommend them!

Kalmah - Bullets Are Blind

You're right ShaneB, I'm aware I'm looking at the tip of the iceberg here. You gotta start somewhere right?

I liked the Kalmah song you recommended, so I listened to some more. I'm not sure I like this kind of 'melodic' (for lack of a better word) metal but thank you nonetheless.

Saint Vitus sounds a bit more like what I'm looking for, thank you Dr Dawg.

You're right ShaneB, I'm aware I'm looking at the tip of the iceberg here. You gotta start somewhere right?

I liked the Kalmah song you recommended, so I listened to some more. I'm not sure I like this kind of 'melodic' (for lack of a better word) metal but thank you nonetheless.

nicerdicer put up a nice list. If you don't mind some harsher vocals you might like Graves At Sea.

ShaneB

Thumbs up, I was just about to recommend Kalmah too:

http://youtu.be/FO1pFUZ4_Yc

Excellent!

Heh, it's all good man! And it would likely fall under the genre of 'melodic death metal', so yes, feel free to use that word :p I figured with the mention of Killing Floor and Nation Red I'd stick to something a little faster paced. I'm not really into the Doomy stuff mentioned, so we've all got different taste.

Something a little more techy Arsis - Overthrown

Maybe I'm completely off since I'm going a totally different route than the other recommendations. lol

Wino was/is the singer of St. Vitus. He had some more really good bands! Spirit Caravan!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGavqvkxrhQ
Stoner infused doom metal, slightly bluesy as well. : ) Awesome stuff, I love him! I'll see him in a cafe around here (acoustic concert) in a few days, oh yeah!

Blackheim

The number of the beast
Sabbath
Reign in blood
White Zombie
Pantera
AC/DC
Rammstein
Motorhead

Let's give these a shot, there should be something here that tickles your funny bone:

Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding: Link

Sheavy - Synchronized: Link

Kreator - Cause for Conflict: Link

Crowbar - Odd Fellows Rest: Link

Armored Saint - Delirious Nomad: Link

Souls At Zero - Souls At Zero: Link

gibson theater plz.

also, how the hell is BTR "brutal" thrash!? come on son if there's any safe label to give BTR is prog/thrash.

I don't see Beneath The Remains as anything proggy about it. It's almost borderline death metal with deep roots of thrash. Hell, John Tardy of Obituary and Kelly Schaeffer of Atheist lend their voices on the album. All the hallmarks of thrash riffing are there i.e. string skipping, intricate right hand picking, etc. Pretty much Brazil's answer to Slayer and Vio-Lence's "Eternal Nightmare" album.

Arise on the other hand....pretty uneventful and dry. I can barely listen to that album anymore. They seemed to know they've exhausted what they were doing after Arise. Chaos A.D. was the biggest step for them and is pretty great for what it is.

sgossard

nicerdicer
Ufomammut ------- Very heavy but very very interesting, me likey.
Church of Misery------- These guys are sick. Will definitely keep listening.
Bongzilla-------Ooooooh yeah. pssssssst. Just what the doctor ordered.

Kyuss and Boris I had already heard and I like them.

ShaneB
Arsis------- Very interesting, will listen to more of their songs.

Blackheim
Bruce Dickinson ------ Really liked it, more than I expected. Didn't even know he had a solo career.
Kreator-------wtf is the drummer doing?? Sounds a bit like Sepultura to me and has that 90s metal vibe I like. Really good.

SoulPlaya
Pale Divine------Damn, instant favorite.

Oldschool
Bookmarked that playlist and will listen to it tomorrow.

Thanks a lot metalgaf

Onemic

Listened to Protest The Hero once again after dismissing them as being not for me a few years back.

Tried the Keiza album for starters, and the the opinions I had about them befpre are coming up again. I don't know what it is, but they just aren't doing it for me. I don't know if it's the lack of rawness/ferocity or the overproduction, or a mixture of the two, but something just isn't drawing me in. I don't know if there other albums are any different, but they feel like late Dream Theater pretentious era of music, but just not as talented.

Are their other albums different or is it pretty much the same? I'm not even halfway through and I'm already pretty tired of it.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
nicerdicer
Ufomammut ------- Very heavy but very very interesting, me likey.
Church of Misery------- These guys are sick. Will definitely keep listening.
Bongzilla-------Ooooooh yeah. pssssssst. Just what the doctor ordered.

Kyuss and Boris I had already heard and I like them.

ShaneB
Arsis------- Very interesting, will listen to more of their songs.

Blackheim
Bruce Dickinson ------ Really liked it, more than I expected. Didn't even know he had a solo career.
Kreator-------wtf is the drummer doing?? Sounds a bit like Sepultura to me and has that 90s metal vibe I like. Really good.

SoulPlaya
Pale Divine------Damn, instant favorite.

Oldschool
Bookmarked that playlist and will listen to it tomorrow.

Thanks a lot metalgaf
I think me and you may have similar tastes. Here's some more recommendations:
Black Pyramid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aAOwA4Ozhw
Heavy Eyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHlBwO5F-RM
Orchid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LEmp9NDCNs
Uncle Acid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjO5PuXJO48
Graveyard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cfXN4qCt1I&feature=related

EDIT: One more, Witchcraft-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnOz4udTY5Q

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
IB]I don't see Beneath The Remains as anything proggy about it.[/B] It's almost borderline death metal with deep roots of thrash. Hell, John Tardy of Obituary and Kelly Schaeffer of Atheist lend their voices on the album. All the hallmarks of thrash riffing are there i.e. string skipping, intricate right hand picking, etc. Pretty much Brazil's answer to Slayer and Vio-Lence's "Eternal Nightmare" album.

Arise on the other hand....pretty uneventful and dry. I can barely listen to that album anymore. They seemed to know they've exhausted what they were doing after Arise. Chaos A.D. was the biggest step for them and is pretty great for what it is.

what I meant was that BTR has elements of of prog-like structure song. A good example of this is Stronger than Hate..starts slow, then gets a bit thrashy, melodic lead, then heavy. Somewhat similar in the vein Coroner. Also, lobotomy is another one.

anyways, did anybody listen to Napalm Death's Utilitarian yet?

Blackheim

Yep, figured if you were into Maiden, Bruce's solo career would be right up your alley. That particular song/album by Kreator is from the '90s, one of my faves by them :)

Gonna throw 2 more your way that I forgot to include earlier:

Outrage - Blind to Reality: Link

(The Lord Weird) Slough Feg - Traveller: Link

to add more to the stoner/doom vibe I can't recommend BONGRIPPER enough. Heavy as elephant balls instrumental doom.

Reefer Sutherland
Satan
Sex Tape
Hate Ashbury Pt. II

Actually, you can listen to their discography at their website: http://bongripper.bandcamp.com/

New Sonata Arctica album "Stones Grow Her Name" to be released May 18th.

I'm excited, and after hearing some of the song titles, terribly worried. At the same time.

New Sonata Arctica album "Stones Grow Her Name" to be released May 18th.

I'm excited, and after hearing some of the song titles, terribly worried. At the same time.

Shitloads of Cash or something right? Album art was really cool... I'm expecting someting very mainstream as a single and hopefully some great songs tucked away on the album.

Shitloads of Cash or something right? Album art was really cool... I'm expecting someting very mainstream as a single and hopefully some great songs tucked away on the album.

"Shitload of Money" and "Don't be Mean" would be the main offenders, though I won't let it judge my actual opinion of the music. I don't find the titles "cheesy" (and as anyone who follows this thread can tell I couldn't give any less of a shit about supposed "cheese"), they are just bizarre.

Initial reports suggest it's varied, but probably their most midpaced album... so we'll see how that goes. I still love this band, regardless of their change in direction.

"Shitload of Money" and "Don't be Mean" would be the main offenders, though I won't let it judge my actual opinion of the music. I don't find the titles "cheesy" (and as anyone who follows this thread can tell I couldn't give any less of a shit about supposed "cheese"), they are just bizarre.

Initial reports suggest it's varied, but probably their most midpaced album... so we'll see how that goes. I still love this band, regardless of their change in direction.

Wildfire II and Wildfire III, as well as the puppet figure on the cover suggests a nod towards Reckoning Night... I hope...

Jhriad

Weird. After not having visited this thread in weeks I just got the hankering to pop into this thread to see if anyone could recommend me some more stuff along the lines of Kyuss. Then I'm greeted with all this Stoner Rock/Metal on the most recent page. GAF is conspiring to fuck with my mind.

EDIT: Thought I'd suggest Beastwars in the doom metal/stoner rock vein of things.

Hehe, just in time: High on Fire's new album is called De Vermis Mysteriis and will be released on april 3rd. Birthday of my girlfriend. :D
http://www.roadburn.com/2012/02/high-on-fire-to-release-new-album-de-vermis-mysteriis-on-april-3/
HIGH-ON-FIRE-De-Vermis-Mysteriis.jpg

Cactus

Banned
First of all, yeah I'm a metal noob. I know my rock, so I'm not completely music illiterate, but metal not so much.

I was playing Nation Red and Killing Floor (zombie-shoot-shoot-kill-kill games, in case you don't know them) which have generic loopy "metal" for soundtracks. So I turned the music volume off and listened to this instead while playing:

The number of the beast
Sabbath
Reign in blood
White Zombie
Pantera
AC/DC
Rammstein
Motorhead

Eternal Elysium
Sons of Otis
Colour Haze
Arkham Witch
Doomraiser
Blood Farmers
Pentagram

-Eddman-

http://i.imgur.com/od8Hi.jpg[IMG]

Hail Finland![/QUOTE]

Well, expected from Scandinavia. The real surprise for me is Iceland being so high and Japan being so low. And they must be just including bands with record labels or something; Mexico has plenty of small, no-name metal bands, we should be at least in orange!

Well, expected from Scandinavia. The real surprise for me is Iceland being so high and Japan being so low. And they must be just including bands with record labels or something; Mexico has plenty of small, no-name metal bands, we should be at least in orange!

Per 100,000 people though.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
Wildfire II and Wildfire III, as well as the puppet figure on the cover suggests a nod towards Reckoning Night... I hope...

Yeah, I saw that too, and I am expecting as well sth mainstream, but like I remember when The Days of Grays and Unia came out, aaaaaaaaall people were complaining a lot about how different were those albums compared to Silence or Winterheart's Guild for example.

The only thing I am kinda 'worried' about is that well I dunno if Wildfire II & III will be sth I will like, is maybe me but one side of me really wants to listen to those single tracks because I am reaaaaally curious, and in the other hand I think I will be either very disappointed or very hyper and happy with them. Also the first track makes me think it will be a sequel of No Dream Can Heal A Broken Heart (which is one one my favourite tracks from The Days of Grays)

However, I agree with you that the puppet girl in the cover reminds me of the one that is in Reckoning Night.

And honestly after reading what Tony says about the album, I dunno what to expect save sth mainstream and that I actually will end up loving, as always happens to me with Sonata Arctica :p

Mexico has plenty of small, no-name metal bands, we should be at least in orange!

Hah! But you MUST take in consideration this, how many national bands (I'm mexican) last longer than 1 Year? and how many of them are good enough to count as metal bands, you know here things are different, countries like Finland, Norway, Russia, etc produce a lot of bands but they are good enough to stay between people's taste and last long enough. Mexican bands don't have that.

sgossard

Blackheim
Definitely getting some more Kreator. About Dickinson albums, should I start with his Best of compilation or go straight to Chemical wedding?
(And dude, if that's you in your avatar, you totally look like Matt Cameron (Pearl Jam's drummer))

Soulplaya
Graveyard------dat 70s sound. Really liked this one.
Witchcraft-------didn't know they made metal this groovy, wow.

Giant Robot
Bongripper-------Very soundtrack-y. I liked the fast ones better than the slow ones.

Cactus
Colour haze-------DAMN. DAMN. DAMN. Sounds like Tool playing Led Zeppelin. Wow. What album is that? I can't find much info anywhere.
edit: found it. Getting Tempel right about now.

Blackheim

Is Overkill........

Overkill = *bows* Those dudes never disappoint me

I've skipped a couple albums they've put out (Taking Over [yeah yeah, I know, never clicked with me], W.F.O., Coverkill and Relix) but, overall I'd say that they very much deliver. Love them.

Blackheim
Definitely getting some more Kreator. About Dickinson albums, should I start with his Best of compilation or go straight to Chemical wedding?
(And dude, if that's you in your avatar, you totally look like Matt Cameron (Pearl Jam's drummer))

Kreator is awesome! I like Cause For Conflict best I think. Renewal too, even though that album seems to be universally hated by Kreator fans :p
If you can get the 2 disc version of the Best of, I'd say grab that. If not, Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth, the re-releases with the extra tracks if you're not a stickler for preserving the original album content and don't mind getting some extra songs :D Oh, yeah that's me >_> Never changed back to my original avatar after real pic January heh.

Melchiah

Well, they've used Metal Archives as a source, and the site features more obscure bands as well. At least there's a plenty of old bands who've only released a demo or two back in the 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom