• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Mastodon is touring with Ghost and Opeth over the summer. Mastodon and Opeth are trading off headlining while Ghost opens. It's going to be one fucking magical night of metal.

I love Ghost to death. Would be so awesome if this could happen in EU also. Have fun :'(

I have a question for you blokes. [...]
Gracias for any feedback on this idea

It's a cool idea, why not? I don't read many music blogs but I tend to like open minded writers. For example this one: a woman writing about stoner/metal and vegetation (plants, metal, beer, plants). :D
http://phyteclub.org/page/5/

Awesome idea, I think. You always feel she really means it and writes about stuff she's interested in. Maybe just be yourself, I guess, and write about stuff in metal that grabs your attention. :D

What do you guys think? I'm sure the market is over saturated enough with metalheads making shitty metal blogs. The difference is that mine wouldn't be shitty (at least not objectively). Does what I just described sound interesting to anyone? Would any of you guys read it? And don't be polite. If you guys think nobody would read it, tell me. The only metal blog I occasionally read is angry metal guy, so I really have no idea what the landscape at large for this niche type of blog is.

I'm not THAT big on death metal so if it was mostly that I don't think I would read it too much.

But if your going to cover everything, fuck yeah I'd read it!!

Edit: On that note, does anyone here have a blog? I could have sworn at least one person did.

It's a cool idea, why not? I don't read many music blogs but I tend to like open minded writers. For example this one: a woman writing about stoner/metal and vegetation (plants, metal, beer, plants). :D
http://phyteclub.org/page/5/

Awesome idea, I think. You always feel she really means it and writes about stuff she's interested in. Maybe just be yourself, I guess, and write about stuff in metal that grabs your attention. :D
Interesting! I'll have to check this blog out. Sounds cool. And thanks for the encouragement!

I'm not THAT big on death metal so if it was mostly that I don't think I would read it too much.

But if your going to cover everything, fuck yeah I'd read it!!

Edit: On that note, does anyone here have a blog? I could have sworn at least one person did.
What gave the impression that it would mostly be about death metal? Here are my top three favorite bands:

Blind Guardian
Led Zeppelin
Iron Maiden

I love metal of all types, including death metal, but I would definitely try to stay away from bogging down the blog (blogging down?) by making an already narrowly accessible topic (metal) even less accessible by only focusing on one subgenre (death metal). And excellent, my readership base is growing and I've yet to do anything! This is easier than I thought, maybe I'll just quit now while I'm still ahead :p

And yeah, if anyone else here has a blog I'd be interested to see it too!

Zampano

Hello Metal Gaf. This thread introduced me to Agalloch when I was still lurker, so thanks for that.

I have a problem. Ulcerate have made about 95% of my heavy music collection seem irrelevant. Whenever I'm listening to anything else, I just think "I should listen to The Destroyers of All or Everything is Fire instead". This has been going on since last summer. I need some new jams. Not necessarily death metal, just something bleak and awesome.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Hello Metal Gaf. This thread introduced me to Agalloch when I was still lurker, so thanks for that.

I have a problem. Ulcerate have made about 95% of my heavy music collection seem irrelevant. Whenever I'm listening to anything else, I just think "I should listen to The Destroyers of All or Everything is Fire instead". This has been going on since last summer. I need some new jams. Not necessarily death metal, just something bleak and awesome.
I need an excuse to post Type O Negative songs (shut up, it's doom metal, damn it!). So, here you go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngvsNwFuoXw

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Bro-fist to everyone seeing Maiden, I have tickets for the August 17th show in Dallas, will be finally fulfilling a life-long dream of seeing Maiden live!!

In other news, I'm seeing Corrosion of Conformity, Torche, and Valient Thorr this Saturday night. Should be wicked!

You could try some of the albums I posted on the last page if you're interested in death metal.

Another High on Fire update, someone has to do it. ;D There are minute-long previews of every song online over at the american itunes store.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/de-vermis-mysteriis/id508431236
I love serums of liao...The chorus is really catchy! Overall the album snippets remind me of the Blessed Black Wings and Death is this Communion albums, plus some more epicness, minus any of the thin production of their Snakes album. That's great. :D
THANK YOU! I still wouldn't even know that HoF has an upcoming album if not for your updates :D

*metal brofist*

I'll check these samples out later tonight, can't wait :D

Sonki.

Banned
RHINOCERVS is one of my favorite labels right now.

"RHINOCERVS is a relatively new metal collective in Southern California. Loosely associated with the Crepusculo Negro and Black Twilight folks, their objective appears to be creating dark and oppressive atmospheric black metal instead of showering themselves with adoration from fans. So focused are they on the music, rather than the mania, that the first two RHINOCERVS releases are without band names, without release names, without song titles - just two cassettes, each bearing a catalog number and four movements. Howling, primitive, soaring....raw and gorgeous."

http://rhinocervs.blogspot.com/

One of my favorite releases is RH-02. They are all sold out, but I have a download link...

http://terminalescape.blogspot.com/2011/07/rhinocervs.html

You'd have to be an IDIOT not to hear this.

Edit: http://youtu.be/vrT0tbZb0CU
The quality is better than the youtube video suggests.

NGAMER9

RHINOCERVS is one of my favorite labels right now.

"RHINOCERVS is a relatively new metal collective in Southern California. Loosely associated with the Crepusculo Negro and Black Twilight folks, their objective appears to be creating dark and oppressive atmospheric black metal instead of showering themselves with adoration from fans. So focused are they on the music, rather than the mania, that the first two RHINOCERVS releases are without band names, without release names, without song titles - just two cassettes, each bearing a catalog number and four movements. Howling, primitive, soaring....raw and gorgeous."

http://rhinocervs.blogspot.com/

One of my favorite releases is RH-02. They are all sold out, but I have a download link...

http://terminalescape.blogspot.com/2011/07/rhinocervs.html

You'd have to be an IDIOT not to hear this.

Edit: http://youtu.be/vrT0tbZb0CU
The quality is better than the youtube video suggests.
Wow, I know relatively little about black metal (Bathory, Burzum, Darkthrone, but very little aside from the obvious names) but I've been wanting to get more into it, and I'm really digging this right now. Thanks for the recommendation.

chiQ

I have a question for you blokes. I've been mulling over the idea of creating my own blog for a while now (the originality... I know!), and I just recently decided that creating a metal blog could be damn good fun.

Creating the blog would serve two primary functions:

1. I'm a public relations major. As some of you may or may not know, the vast majority of public relations work is writing. Writing press releases and news releases, designing messages, saying the right things to the right audiences. Having a blog will get me practice with all of those things. Not only will I be meticulous with how I write each piece, but since I'm a senior in my major, I know quite a few tips and tricks I could utilize to promote the blog and gain a following. If I am able to mount some sort of notable readership base, my blog would make an excellent portfolio piece, demonstrating that I know how to effectively target and engage populations.

2. I love metal. It is more than a hobby for me. In fact, it's the closest thing to a religion that I have. By doing this project I would be able to explore, reflect, and learn more about one of my prime passions in life.

I would comment on anything metal related that interests me. Reviews, upcoming releases, news, opinion pieces, educational pieces (history of a certain aspect of the metal genre or of a band), etc. I would also probably have guest writers if there is any interest, as I am only one over-worked college student who probably won't have as much time to devote to this project right away as I'd like. Even some of my GAF bros could write a feature piece! Providing the article passes my rigorous professional standards, that is :p

What do you guys think? I'm sure the market is over saturated enough with metalheads making shitty metal blogs. The difference is that mine wouldn't be shitty (at least not objectively). Does what I just described sound interesting to anyone? Would any of you guys read it? And don't be polite. If you guys think nobody would read it, tell me. The only metal blog I occasionally read is angry metal guy, so I really have no idea what the landscape at large for this niche type of blog is.

I run an industrial metal band fan-site, and associate with a metal news site owner. I can safely say yes, there is a huge range of metal fan and news sites, but hell, why not? If you will enjoy it and get to stretch your wings in your field at the same time more power to you. Have fun!

I'd read it to start with, but have very specific taste, so whether I stuck with you would depend on who you reported on.

Sonki.

Banned
Wow, I know relatively little about black metal (Bathory, Burzum, Darkthrone, but very little aside from the obvious names) but I've been wanting to get more into it, and I'm really digging this right now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Funny you say this AS I am listening to Frances the Mute. Man, I've been having the weirdest things happening to me lately.

THANK YOU! I still wouldn't even know that HoF has an upcoming album if not for your updates :D

*metal brofist*

I'll check these samples out later tonight, can't wait :D

Say what you think! : ) Listening again right now...This is going to be one massive and solid album! I need to hold it in my hands right now. :D I really dig the artwork, too!

Say what you think! : ) Listening again right now...This is going to be one massive and solid album! I need to hold it in my hands right now. :D I really dig the artwork, too!
I will! I didn't get around to it last night, but I am currently drinking and once I'm good and feeling it I will unleash the majesty that is ten new HoF song samples upon my tiny tiny ears (seriously, my ears are smaller than those of my 8 year old sister... we just compared ear sizes a couple days ago)

I'm clearly already feeling it, so maybe I should go listen right meow

I will! I didn't get around to it last night, but I am currently drinking and once I'm good and feeling it I will unleash the majesty that is ten new HoF song samples upon my tiny tiny ears (seriously, my ears are smaller than those of my 8 year old sister... we just compared ear sizes a couple days ago)

I'm clearly already feeling it, so maybe I should go listen right meow

Ok, time for a beer I guess! *grabs a bottle* :D Cheers!

Ok, time for a beer I guess! *grabs a bottle* :D Cheers!
Haha, do you live in the US? Nothing like drinking before noon on a Wednesday :p

I just listened to all of the High on Fire previews. I'm almost hesitant to comment on them though... I'm reasonably sure I will love this album, but it is so hard for me to get a sense of songs from a preview, even if it is a minute and a half long. I listen to song samples all the time for upcoming albums I'm excited about, but to me, it's kind of like asking someone what their opinion of a painting is if they can only see the top right quadrant of the piece. Songs flow and build within themselves, and so having a third of a song to listen to doesn't give me the sense of scope or muscianship within a track to form an opinion.

That disclaimer aside, I wasn't blown away by the previews. They sounded good, but they sounded like traditional High on Fire. More of the same... almost.

I say "almost" because Fertile Green is fucking amazing. And if I just judged the song based on the iTunes sample, I would have said "more of the same." But the preview on iTunes doesn't show off the absolutely godly riff found starting at 3:04 in the song. And that entire section of Fertile Green solidifies the song for me as one of High on Fire's best. Not to mention that "more of the same" from High on Fire is still so much better than the vast majority of other metal bands.

The same thing happened to me with the latest Dream Theater album. They released short samples of a few songs, and I was thinking "great, they are taking a big step backwards from Black Clouds and Silver Linings." But I ended up loving A Dramatic Turn of Events, even moreso than Black Clouds. Granted, it's even harder to get a sense of a song when it's from a prog band, but my point still stands. To summarize:

I didn't immediately fall in love with the samples. I liked them and they seem like quality songs, but they didn't stand out from the pantheon of other accomplished metal bands. That being said, I still am confident in saying that this album will be a strong contender for my AotY because of how great Fertile Green is, along with what I've read from interviews about the upcoming album.

I'm considerably drunk now (and I have class in less than two hours, hell yeah!), so I apologize in advance for any spelling mistakes or mechanical errors in my writing :p

EDIT: Forget to agree with you on how fucking great the artwork is. I love the muted colors with the stark red contrast of the band's name. My favorite album art since The Hunter, which was my favorite artwork since Odin knows how long.

I know what you mean! They are just previews after all. ; ) Although there were reverse cases where the samples promised more than bands could live up to...That won't be the case here, though! I just know it!! Roaaaar!
Oh, and HoF are a slow grower for me, too! I listened to two of the new songs from youtube live videos countless times, so in my head I always tried to imagine how the studio versions are going to sound. :D (Serums of Liao Madness of an Architect I have a feeling Fertile Green won't even be in my top 3 songs from the album, even though it's great. :D
HoF is one of the few bands I simply trust when it comes to loving the album when it's out. Actually I really couldn't "get" Blessed Black Wings and Death is This communion until recently; now they are my favourites. : ) One thing I know is that I already prefer the sound over Snakes sooo much!

Oh, one funny example of the same thing: You know "Yeti", the song from their second album? The riffs are so loooong and seemingly random that I couldn't appreciate the song for the heavy monster it really is, at first. I love it! Same with Sleep's Dopesmoker. Those weren't even samples, I just skipped the songs after a while (or in case of Dopesmoker just didn't listen to it :D ).

Haha, do you live in the US? Nothing like drinking before noon on a Wednesday :p
Germany : ) It's already dark here!

bart jr

Neo Member
NA only

MASTODON, OPETH, GHOST - 2012 TOUR DATES
Apr. 04 - Portland, ME - State Theater (M)
Apr. 05 - Boston, MA - Orpheum Theater (O)
Apr. 06 - Montreal, QC - Metropolis (O)
Apr. 07 - Toronto, ON - Sony Centre (O)
Apr. 09 - Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory(M)
Apr. 10 - Wallingford, CT - The Dome (M)
Apr. 11 - New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom (M)
Apr. 13 - Chicago, IL - Riviera Theatre(M)
Apr. 14 - Grand Rapids, MI - The Intersection (M)
Apr. 15 - Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE (M)
Apr. 16 - Knoxville, TN - TN Theater (O)
Apr. 18 - Oklahoma City, OK - Diamond Ballroom (M)
Apr. 19 - Dallas, TX - Palladium Ballroom (O)
Apr. 20 - San Antonio, TX - Back Stage Live (O)
Apr. 21 - Corpus Christi, TX - Concrete Street (O)
Apr. 23 - Denver, CO - Fillmore Auditorium (O)
Apr. 25 - Las Vegas, NV - House of Blues (M)
Apr. 26 - Los Angeles, CA - Gibson Amphitheatre (O)
Apr. 27 - Oakland, CA - Fox Theatre (O)
Apr. 28 - Reno, NV - Grand Sierra Resort (M)
Apr. 30 - Seattle, WA - The Paramount (O)
May 01 - Vancouver, BC - Orpheum Theatre (O)
May 03 - Edmonton, AB - Edmonton Events Center (O)
May 04 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan Hall (M)
May 05 - Saskatoon, SK - The Odeon (O)
May 06 - Winnipeg, MB - Burton Cummings Theatre (O)
May 09 - Washington, DC - The Fillmore (O)
May 10 - Charlotte, NC - The Fillmore (M)
May 11 - Myrtle Beach, SC - House of Blues (M)
May 12 - Atlanta, GA - Masquerade Music Park (M)

I really wish there was an Ohio date.

Also - for those of you into fast/thrashier type stuff, you should check out Power Trip from Texas. Power Trip - Hammer of Doubt. That link is to one of my favorite songs of theirs, but they just released a new 7", which you can listen to on their bandcamp page as well. They tour with a lot of hardcore bands, but have some awesome shows lined up in the future with bigger bands(Crowbar, Prong, Toxic Holocaust, etc).

I know this is old but it's still hilarious.
The Darkthrones - Californian Hunger

The Emperors - I Am The Surf Wizards

all brilliant.

In 1959 Chip Ihsahn and Rocky Samoth met on the beach in California. They shared a love of crude reverb units, surfing, smoking illicit substances and driving cars with fake wood on the sides. The soon formed a surf band which had a variety of name changes including The Dark Devices, then The Xerasias, then The Embryonics. The group soon evolved into the now well-known band The Thou Shalt Suffers. Soon, however,Rocky Samoth began to write surf music music outside of The Thou Shalt Suffers, and together with Chip Ihsahn and a new bass player called Woody Mortiis (later of his own eponymous band The Mortiises), The Emperors was formed.

The Emperors toured with fellow surf group The Cradle of Filths, and after this tour the band ceased wearing surf clothing; they stated that it was becoming a trend and losing its original significance and symbolism. In the autumn of that year, the police began to investigate the murder of Clint Euronymous of The Mayhems, naming Varg 'Kenneth' Vikernes (of The Burzums) as a suspect; this investigation eventually led to the incarceration of Rocky Samoth for arson, and of Walter Faust for the murder of Magne Andreassen.

maxxpower

Dark Lunacy - Forget Me Not and The Diarist.

Did someon say Rhapsody Of Fire NA tour?
Date Venue City Country
5/25/2012 The Trocadero Philadelphia
5/26/2012 Soundstage Baltimore
5/27/2012 The Palladium Worcester
5/29/2012 Gramercy Theatre New York
5/30/2012 Club Soda Montreal
5/31/2012 Imperial de Quebec Quebec City
6/1/2012 Mod Club Toronto
6/3/2012 Peabody`s Cleveland
6/4/2012 Altar Bar Pittsburgh
6/5/2012 Mojoes Joliet
6/6/2012 Station 4 St. Paul
6/8/2012 Gothic Theater Englewood
6/10/2012 El Corazon Seattle
6/11/2012 Hawthorne Theatre Portland
6/12/2012 Slim's San Francisco
6/14/2012 House of Blues San Diego
6/15/2012 The Grove Anaheim

Kaladin

Blackheim

Since I donated to City of Fire for the recording of the new album, Trial Through Fire, I received a picture of the artwork for the album yesterday:

e-mail excerpt said:
Today we want to share with you - before we share with everyone else - the new CD cover. The artwork was completed by a friend in Vancouver, BC and since all of you went above and beyond for us, we wanted to share this with you before posting on Facebook, or Pledge Music on Friday!
8VZME.jpg

For those who don't know, City of Fire is Burton C. Bell, Terry "Sho" Murray, Byron Stroud and Bob Wagner.

Song from the new album for the curious: Bad Motivator

Hopefully they don't mind me sharing with you guys a bit ahead of schedule >_> I imagine they'll post it in a few hours anyway since it's almost Friday <_<

Did someon say Rhapsody Of Fire NA tour?
Date Venue City Country
5/25/2012 The Trocadero Philadelphia
5/26/2012 Soundstage Baltimore
5/27/2012 The Palladium Worcester
5/29/2012 Gramercy Theatre New York
5/30/2012 Club Soda Montreal
5/31/2012 Imperial de Quebec Quebec City
6/1/2012 Mod Club Toronto
6/3/2012 Peabody`s Cleveland
6/4/2012 Altar Bar Pittsburgh
6/5/2012 Mojoes Joliet
6/6/2012 Station 4 St. Paul
6/8/2012 Gothic Theater Englewood
6/10/2012 El Corazon Seattle
6/11/2012 Hawthorne Theatre Portland
6/12/2012 Slim's San Francisco
6/14/2012 House of Blues San Diego
6/15/2012 The Grove Anaheim

yesjacknicholson.gif

This place is becoming my goto metal place!

Has anyone in here ever been to the Supersonic festival in Birmingham? I know it's not really a metal festival but was wondering. Just wanted to see if anyone could share their experiences if they have. Really want to try and go this year but I would be going on my own which makes me nervous just thinking about hehe.

I'm not 100% sure yet, but I really, really, want to!!
Let me know if you do! It would be most excellent to rock out with a fellow metal GAFfer

I had actually never even heard of Virgin Steele before my two metal bros got me on board for the Ragnarokrr fest, but holy god do they have some excellent stuff. I haven't explored too many albums of theirs yet, but Invictus so far is a favorite of mine. They could possibly be my favorite power metal band now behind Blind Guardian. From the three or four albums I've listened to so far they have a perfect balance of heavy and catchy

Say goodbye! Hands held high-- on Dominion Day!

Doomshine

Let me know if you do! It would be most excellent to rock out with a fellow metal GAFfer

I had actually never even heard of Virgin Steele before my two metal bros got me on board for the Ragnarokrr fest, but holy god do they have some excellent stuff. I haven't explored too many albums of theirs yet, but Invictus so far is a favorite of mine. They could possibly be my favorite power metal band now behind Blind Guardian. From the three or four albums I've listened to so far they have a perfect balance of heavy and catchy

The Marriage of Heaven & Hell: Part I & II, Invictus and The House of Atreus Act I & II are all fantastic.

One of my personal favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd9bQ9KkqW0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom