• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

As much as I love the winter and the break from the summer heat, my god it's great to have warmer weather showing up. Had the windows down yesterday while driving and blasting some great driving metal.

Kaladin

Probably not metal, I know but Storm Corrosion's Collector's Package is now up for pre-order:

http://merch.roadrunnerrecords.com/...lp-set-special-edition-blu-ray-cd-bundle.html

Storm Corrosion is the long-discussed and highly anticipated collaboration between two of the modern progressive rock scene's most innovative and multi-talented artists: Mikael Åkerfeldt of Opeth and Porcupine Tree’s Steven Wilson. The pair will release Storm Corrosion on May 8 via Roadrunner Records.

Double-LP Set:
• Limited Edition Double-LP set of the self-titled album with exclusive artwork
• 180-Gram black virgin vinyl in gatefold jacket
• Digital download of high quality Flac files of the entire album
• Autographed 12" x 12" poster of exclusive artwork
• 24" x 36" fold out poster of exclusive artwork

* Please Note that this is a Pre-order and will not ship until the week of Album Release, 5/8.

Track Listing
1. Drag Ropes - 9:52
2. Storm Corrosion - 10:12
3. Hag - 6:28
4. Happy - 4:53
5. Lock Howl - 6:09
6. Ljudet Innan - 10:20

Blu-Ray/CD:
• 5.1 audio mix of entire self-titled album
• 2 exclusive demo tracks
• 5 instrumental tracks
• Storm Corrosion self-titled CD

CD Track List:
1. Drag Ropes 9:52
2. Storm Corrosion 10:12
3. Hag 6:28
4. Happy 4:53
5. Lock Howl 6:09
6. Ljudet Innan 10:20

Blu-Ray Track List:
1. Drag Ropes
2. Storm Corrosion
3. Hag
4. Happy
5. Lock Howl
6. Ljudet Innan
7. Drag Ropes
8. Storm Corrosion
9. Hag
10. Happy
11. Lock Howl
12. Ljudet Innan
13. Drag Ropes (demo)
14. Hag (demo)

sc_marketingmini.jpg

It came to $61 with tax and shipping when I ordered. That's not bad for getting the album on every format that is currently in production.

Let me know if you do! It would be most excellent to rock out with a fellow metal GAFfer

I had actually never even heard of Virgin Steele before my two metal bros got me on board for the Ragnarokrr fest, but holy god do they have some excellent stuff. I haven't explored too many albums of theirs yet, but Invictus so far is a favorite of mine. They could possibly be my favorite power metal band now behind Blind Guardian. From the three or four albums I've listened to so far they have a perfect balance of heavy and catchy

Say goodbye! Hands held high-- on Dominion Day!

Same. Exact. Situation!!!

And I'll definitely let you know if I wind up going! \m/

Kaladin

I saw Hank 3 last night in Jacksonville. For those that aren't familiar with him, he does a set of country to start the show, then a set of "hellbilly" which is kinda like punk mixed with country and now he's touring with two new metal acts called Attention Deficit Domination and 3 Bar Ranch.

ADD is slow, sludgy stoner rock which was completely awesome live:

You can actually see a full set of that here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q_3e4uYzAE

Yes, he does covers of Alice In Chains and Sleep in this set.

Also it's just him and his drummer on stage....

3 Bar Ranch is a bit different. His fiddle player comes back out and grabs a flying V guitar so they've got 2 guitars on stage and it's full on thrash/speed metal. Here's where it's different....there are rarely any vocals from Hank on stage and every song has cattle auctioneers in the background. It makes for an odd live experience because while you can focus on the guitars and headbang, the cattle auctioneers are always there in the mix and it's kinda annoying.

Full Set of 3 Bar Ranch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTYLERJMC0U

Neither of these sets are from last night, I just took a couple of pictures during the country set.

For anyone interested, I found a video with a full country and hellbilly set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3DOqAOEdBQ

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I can't unhear the almost Snakeman theme in the new Sigh album. Thanks for suggesting it GAF, this album is great.

Oh come on its just the first two notes. I totally hoped it would be a shameless ripoff :/. Also i just realized i hadn't listened to megadeth's thirteen record at all, I recalled Ellefson is back so i guess i got something to listen over tonight.

Maddog

Oh come on its just the first two notes. I totally hoped it would be a shameless ripoff :/. Also i just realized i hadn't listened to megadeth's thirteen record at all, I recalled Ellefson is back so i guess i got something to listen over tonight.

It's a pretty solid album imo.

Watevaman

Kinda sucks there aren't any bundles with this Sigh album. Both Scenes From Hell and A Tribute to Venom had t-shirts bundled with the vinyl. Candlelight isn't doing that, plus it's more expensive to boot.

Ecrofirt

So, I might be getting an interview lined up with Rob Zombie or Megadeth during their upcoming tour.

It sounds like I've got to decide which band I'd rather interview (though, really, I'd love to just interview both).

Problem is, I'm not really sure what the hell I'd even ask either band.

Rob Zombie would likely be a bit easier, as Zombie has a new movie coming out, and he's supposed to be working on a new album.

Megadeth, I'm almost nervous to talk to. It's fucking Dave Mustaine.

Sonki.

Banned
So, I might be getting an interview lined up with Rob Zombie or Megadeth during their upcoming tour.

It sounds like I've got to decide which band I'd rather interview (though, really, I'd love to just interview both).

Rob Zombie would likely be a bit easier, as Zombie has a new movie coming out, and he's supposed to be working on a new album.

Both are kinda boring. IMO. Talk about white zombie and how that was his only good musical project. (And i'm stretching cause I was 10 when I gave a fuck). and then talk about how megadeth was cool when you were 12.

YES. :)

I met Mustaine and got his autograph a little over a year ago. He acts like a snob, but he's really cool.

I'd figured Mustaine would be boring to interview since he's probably heard every single question and we know and heard everything about him. Unless all you want to do is focus on his new material. But at the same time, its DAVE MUSTAINE. If he's anything like Kerry King when I talked to him, it's fucking worthless.

Rob Zombie sounds like he'd be more fun to interview because of all his other projects, more approachable, and more mysterious than Mustaine.

I love being reminded that there is literally a metal song for every occasion

It is the birthday of somebody close to me today. Whenever this happens I grace his or her facebook wall with the best birthday song ever!

EDIT: Also I would totally interview Mustaine. Probably because I never have and never will care about a single thing that Rob Zombie does

Melchiah

We just made a deal with my band, Enochian Crescent, and Spinefarm (Universal), after months of negotiating. Everything is dictated by our standards. This call for drinks! I understand not (m)any on you are interested in this, but this was a huge victory for us. And I couldn't be happier about it.

Blackheim

We just made a deal with my band, Enochian Crescent, and Spinefarm (Universal), after months of negotiating. Everything is dictated by our standards. This call for drinks! I understand not (m)any on you are interested in this, but this was a huge victory for us. And I couldn't be happier about it.

Woo congrats! I'm totally interested as it means hopefully something new fairly soon :p Should make your album(s) more widely available instead of having to hunt them down on websites that purchase their stock from and ships from Russia haha.

How's the new material shaping up to sound like anyway? Aside from that one song you posted that you guys performed live, I don't believe you've elaborated much on it...

-Eddman-

Congrats Melchiah, I do really like Enochian Crescent, you guys do your own thing and don't follow many "black metal cliches" in terms of music and image. Looking forward to whatever comes next.

Melchiah

Woo congrats! I'm totally interested as it means hopefully something new fairly soon :p Should make your album(s) more widely available instead of having to hunt them down on websites that purchase their stock from and ships from Russia haha.

How's the new material shaping up to sound like anyway? Aside from that one song you posted that you guys performed live, I don't believe you've elaborated much on it...

Our schedule is to go to studio in the late summer/autumn, but I can't say when the release will be. And there's a possibility of making a new video as well.

It's all in Finnish, and from my point of view there are three parts to the album. The parts are more divided by lyrics than music though.

Melchiah

Congrats Melchiah, I do really like Enochian Crescent, you guys do your own thing and don't follow many "black metal cliches" in terms of music and image. Looking forward to whatever comes next.

Thanks. And I'm happy about we could negotiate a deal where our "artistic integrity" won't be compromised; ie. we have final say where, when and how our music can be used. I wouldn't really appreciate of hearing our song in Finnish reality show, or sport match, for example. And it has happened with other more or less similar bands.

Melchiah

Is it typical policy for that label, or did you have to fight hard for it?

It was a common policy, as far as common deals go, to which we demanded that we have control of everything concerning such things, but we didn't really have to fight for it, as the the label understood our stance.

Melchiah

That's cool, good to hear there are labels like that out there. I didn't actually know you were in a band, going to go check you guys out right now :)

Well, it helps that our former gig organizer is nowadays our label manager, so he knows what we want, and we're friends with him. I imagine it would have been different with a person who knows nothing about us, or is unfamiliar with the black metal genre.

EDIT: The same guy also signed the Swedish Shining, and you really don't want to heard what gruesome tales I heard from the singer tonight. Let's just say say, that you wouldn't necessarily want to tour with certain bands.

Blackheim

Our schedule is to go to studio in the late summer/autumn, but I can't say when the release will be. And there's a possibility of making a new video as well.

It's all in Finnish, and from my point of view there are three parts to the album. The parts are more divided by lyrics than music though.

Ah, so maybe a late '12 or early '13 release then if all goes well, yes? Pretty cool that Spinefarm signed you guys though, they haven't had a lot of Black Metal bands signed over the years. Though the ones they do have tend to have a fair bit of notoriety in one way or another. Hopefully they are a good fit :)

As far as the album having 3 parts, sounds cool but, I won't have a clue how to differentiate the parts since I don't understand a bit of Finnish :p

As long as the words sound good when sung and they sit on some nice riffs, it's all good to me.

Melchiah

Ah, so maybe a late '12 or early '13 release then if all goes well, yes? Pretty cool that Spinefarm signed you guys though, they haven't had a lot of Black Metal bands signed over the years. Though the ones they do have tend to have a fair bit of notoriety in one way or another. Hopefully they are a good fit :)

As far as the album having 3 parts, sounds cool but, I won't have a clue how to differentiate the parts since I don't understand a bit of Finnish :p

As long as the words sound good when sung and they sit on some nice riffs, it's all good to me.

Something like that. The labels usually prefer to release in the beginning of the year, as it's then a "new" album, instead of being an album of last year. It's always seemed somewhat silly to me.

Spinefarm seems to have turned a new leaf after they got their current label manager. They've signed more extreme bands, and got rid off some less extreme (and more awful) ones. They've recently signed bands like Shining and Sotajumala.

Well, it's more a lyrical thing, having three writers, one being the old member Pfosforus, and it doesn't really have anything to do with the music. Although our songs are usually composed to fit the lyrics, and not vice versa, which seems to be the usual method.

I would very much lik to see a music video featuring Melchiah. If it's even remotely like any of the pics you've posted, both from gigs and various stuff you do, I'm sure it will be a fascinating watch.

I need some entry level black metal guys :p It's not really a field I know too well. Where is Enslaved on the spectrum? :lol Melodic stuff it at all possible.

I would very much lik to see a music video featuring Melchiah. If it's even remotely like any of the pics you've posted, both from gigs and various stuff you do, I'm sure it will be a fascinating watch.

I need some entry level black metal guys :p It's not really a field I know too well. Where is Enslaved on the spectrum? :lol Melodic stuff it at all possible.

Not a big fan of melodic black metal so these might be a bit too obvious.

Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter
Our Dawn of Glory
As I Behold the Dying Sun

Ulver - Nattens Madrigal ( if you want something more folk-ish try Bergtatt instead)
Hymne III: Wolf And Hatred
Hymn VIII - Wolf And The Night

Dissection - The Somberlain and/or Storm of the Light's Bane
The Somberlain
Soulreaper

Depends on what era of Enslaved you are talking about. I'm not too familiar with the early stuff, it's black/viking. Later they started adding progressive elements. I don't consider the last two albums to be black metal.

Immortal (Also check out I and Demonaz)
http://youtu.be/hqwF2wtKmAc
http://youtu.be/gRyv94qk51A
http://youtu.be/gUaFD4JFU8c

Rotting Christ
http://youtu.be/T2ho99lK1a0
http://youtu.be/b4hhTtrP9DM
http://youtu.be/ck1OdW_asew

Melechesh
http://youtu.be/BSgIclwhNgo
http://youtu.be/0O5D0A-YHxg
http://youtu.be/C9HDXk2AvAQ

XShagrath

I hope I am able to go to the Orlando show. It's just a matter of getting a ticket.
Just to let you know, that venue absolutely sucks (at least for metal). I saw the Symphony X/Iced Earth show there earlier this month. You could barely hear the vocals, and the guitars were very muddled. Same thing happened when I saw Children of Bodom there last year.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
Iced Earth play on monday here in my City and sadly I won't be able to go D: But maybe I'll go for a while and listen to them from the outside lol.

Luckly I got a job and I will be able to go and see Amon Amarth! Can't fucking wait!

Sleepy

Just to let you know, that venue absolutely sucks (at least for metal). I saw the Symphony X/Iced Earth show there earlier this month. You could barely hear the vocals, and the guitars were very muddled. Same thing happened when I saw Children of Bodom there last year.

Where is the venue? If it's the UCF arena, it sucks balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom