• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

That both took me by surprise and was oddly familiar. For that I thank you ;)

Cheers for the recommendations guys. Still working my way through the list. It seems to go on a spectrum from "Just a bit overkill - Stuff I'm really enjoying" as I go down the list. Vinterland and Ulver were too heavy for my tastes but Dissection, Immortal and Demonaz were far more enjoyable for me.

Thanks Gaf, as usual ;)

It's in downtown Orlando. Right next to The Social.

I was at that same show I admit the sound at the venue wasn't great but I thought Symphony X's set up sounded good, for Iced Earth I could barely hear their vocals and the bass on the instruments seemed to be turned all the way up.

Wish it would have been at House of Blues.

XShagrath

I was at that same show I admit the sound at the venue wasn't great but I thought Symphony X's set up sounded good, for Iced Earth I could barely hear their vocals and the bass on the instruments seemed to be turned all the way up.

Wish it would have been at House of Blues.
Yeah, HoB is a way better venue. Beacham is mainly a nightclub, so I think their system is much better equipped for bassier music.

I thought Symphony X sounded better than Iced Earth, as the vocals came through really well when he was doing the higher-range stuff, but not the mid to lower range.

It'd be great it this show was even at Firehouse. That's an awesome local venue, and I've seen numerous metal shows there and all have sounded fantastic.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
this one exceeded my expectation
amob.jpg

and this one was disappointing
epica-requiem-for-the-indifferent-2012-album-cover.jpg

Went the the Iced Earth show last night. Fucking ROCKED!!! My ears are still ringing.

It was my first time at a venue in Joliet, IL called Mojoe's. It was a very nice, little, place!

I also heard Warbringer for the first time. I'm a huge thrash fan and they killed it. I'm definitely going to pick up their albums!

this one exceeded my expectation
amob.jpg
I just gave this a spin for the first time earlier this morning. It was... a lot less diverse and proggy than I was hoping for. It was also has a surprisingly angry sound throughout the album, something I definitely didn't expect.

It was good, and I think that now I know more of what to expect I'll enjoy it more on repeat listens.

Now I'm getting ready to listen to my very first Orphaned Land album... The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR! I've heard nothing but excellent things about both the band and this album in particular, so I am pumped to get my Israeli groove on

Yeah, HoB is a way better venue. Beacham is mainly a nightclub, so I think their system is much better equipped for bassier music.

I thought Symphony X sounded better than Iced Earth, as the vocals came through really well when he was doing the higher-range stuff, but not the mid to lower range.

It'd be great it this show was even at Firehouse. That's an awesome local venue, and I've seen numerous metal shows there and all have sounded fantastic.

Never been to Firehouse.

Know anymore good metal shows coming to the area soon?

XShagrath

Never been to Firehouse.

Know anymore good metal shows coming to the area soon?

Don't know what you're into, but here's what I found..

3/29 - Firestone Live
Deicide, Jungle Rot, Abigail Williams, Lecherous Nocturne

4/17 - The Beacham
Gwar, Kylesa, Ghoul, Legacy of Disorder

4/17 - The Social
Protest the Hero, Peripher, Jeff Loomis, The Safety Fire, Today I Caught the Plague

5/6 - Hard Rock
Megadeth, Lacuna Coil

5/8 - House of Blues
Miss May I, Whitechapel, After the Buriel, Within the Ruins

5/8 - Firestone Live
Overkill, God Forbid, Diamond Plate, Suidakra

That looks to be about it, from what I found on pollstar.

-Eddman-

I saw these guys yesterday at a festival in Guadalajara, Mexico. Destruction

Holy fuck, the best thrash act I've seen live! They played in one of the small stages and the sound was pretty tight and clear, warm and responsive crowd. My neck still hurts from the headbanging, haha.

There were other good bands at the festival, Black Oil and Soulfly from Brazil and the surprise for me was this mexican band, Here Comes The Kraken. I'm not a fan of their sub-genre (at all) but surprisingly, they were very enjoyable live.

Don't know what you're into, but here's what I found..

3/29 - Firestone Live
Deicide, Jungle Rot, Abigail Williams, Lecherous Nocturne

4/17 - The Beacham
Gwar, Kylesa, Ghoul, Legacy of Disorder

4/17 - The Social
Protest the Hero, Peripher, Jeff Loomis, The Safety Fire, Today I Caught the Plague

5/6 - Hard Rock
Megadeth, Lacuna Coil

5/8 - House of Blues
Miss May I, Whitechapel, After the Buriel, Within the Ruins

5/8 - Firestone Live
Overkill, God Forbid, Diamond Plate, Suidakra

That looks to be about it, from what I found on pollstar.

Nice thanks. Protest is awesome, saw them last year might go see them again. Always wanted to see Megadeth, maybe I'll get around to seeing them too.

We just made a deal with my band, Enochian Crescent, and Spinefarm (Universal), after months of negotiating. Everything is dictated by our standards. This call for drinks! I understand not (m)any on you are interested in this, but this was a huge victory for us. And I couldn't be happier about it.
That's great news Wrath! Really looking forward to the next EC album.

I saw these guys yesterday at a festival in Guadalajara, Mexico. Destruction

Saw them and Kreator play in San Francisco quite a few years ago. It was one of the most awesome and nostalgic feeling shows I've been to. Both bands played the well known older stuff of course. Can't remember why, but Sodom didn't play the US tour with them. It would have been the a perfect show.

I shit you not, Destruction never changed their look and sound and this is exactly how they were at the SF show, haha
Destruction - Thrash Attack

Has anyone here gottten the new Psycroptic album "The Inherited Repression"? I Is it just me or is it kinda bland and uninterresting? I've given it a few spins but I barely remember any of the songs on it.

RDreamer

Now I'm getting ready to listen to my very first Orphaned Land album... The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR! I've heard nothing but excellent things about both the band and this album in particular, so I am pumped to get my Israeli groove on

ORwarriOR is pretty awesome. My only real complaint is that it's kind of long and drags on a bit. But at the same time I'm not sure there's anything they should have cut from the album, since it's all really good.

ORwarriOR is pretty awesome. My only real complaint is that it's kind of long and drags on a bit. But at the same time I'm not sure there's anything they should have cut from the album, since it's all really good.
Nice! My speakers actually blew while listening to the album so I haven't been able to give it a proper listen yet :( I'll get around to it sometime this week though

And I like the avatar! I've been on a huge Porcupine Tree kick lately. The only album of theirs I had listened to was Deadwing, but I just recently got In Absentia, Fear of a Blank Planet, and The Incident. IA and TI are awesome (and I haven't had a chance to listen to FoaBP yet, but I'm sure that will be great as well)

How is Wilson's solo stuff?

Flynn

On that Orlando discussion -- apparently Will's Pub books metal bands. I think Alcest played there on their East Coast tour. When I used to live there (like 15 years ago) Will's didn't have a stage, but it seems like a cool place to see small acts.

RDreamer

Nice! My speakers actually blew while listening to the album so I haven't been able to give it a proper listen yet :( I'll get around to it sometime this week though

And I like the avatar! I've been on a huge Porcupine Tree kick lately. The only album of theirs I had listened to was Deadwing, but I just recently got In Absentia, Fear of a Blank Planet, and The Incident. IA and TI are awesome (and I haven't had a chance to listen to FoaBP yet, but I'm sure that will be great as well)

How is Wilson's solo stuff?

PT's my favorite band ever, and I'm a bona-fide card carrying Steven Wilson nutcase. I love all his projects (No-Man, Blackfield, IEM, Bass Communion, Solo, etc). That guy is pretty much my music god.

FOABP is pretty great, though that's one of my least favorite PT releases. I'm kind of alone with that, though. I think my real problem with it was that I listened to the live bootlegs when they did the concerts of that material before it was released. There were some amazing spots in those bootlegs that didn't translate at all to the actual album. In the album he sounds kind of drugged up and weird, though I'm sure that's intentional given the subject manner. FOABP is awesome live, though. If you were to add the companion EP, Nil Recurring to it, though, it'd skyrocket forward on my list of PT albums. If you don't have that, get it. Actually, just get everything PT. Their older albums are different, but still insanely good.

His solo stuff is also amazing. Insurgentes is a bit more modern sounding. It has a lot of his different sounds throughout, from his ambient pieces to more catchy things. Harmony Korine sounds like it could have been a PT song. It also has a lot of noise influence from his Bass Communion side. It's kind of a hodgepodge, but it comes together insanely well. Originally when I was ranking albums the year this came out and The Incident came out, I actually put Insurgentes ahead. Grace for Drowning, his album from last year, was also insanely good. It takes a more old school prog approach (think Lizard era King Crimson). There's still a bit of modernism in a few tracks, but otherwise it's pretty old in technique. Still, he has his signature amazing song writing and hooks strewn throughout, and that's something you don't find in a lot of that old prog quite as much. Definitely give it a listen.

Spwn

Went to see Arcturus on Saturday and it was amazing! Really hope they'll make a new album soon.

They didn't play Radical Cut even though they've played it on a number of other gigs during the tour. We talked a bit to Knut Magne Valle (the guitarist of Acturus) and asked why they didn't play it and the answer was that the last time Radical Cut was played, Hellhammer played so fast that all the other members got pissed off and decided they won't play it again. Brilliant gig overall. If you don't mind watching an iphone quality video then here's a clip I recorded.

NGAMER9

So the new Meshuggah album is finally out there, and it blew me away. Certainly slaughters ObZen at least, and it's much better than "Do Not Look Down" may have led you to believe.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So the new Meshuggah album is finally out there, and it blew me away. Certainly slaughters ObZen at least, and it's much better than "Do Not Look Down" may have led you to believe.

While not having heard all of koloss, i would say that obzen's "bleed" is still unmatched. Even the band themselve said that no song on the new record is as crazy as bleed. I love me some bleed.

NGAMER9

While not having heard all of koloss, i would say that obzen's "bleed" is still unmatched. Even the band themselve said that no song on the new record is as crazy as bleed. I love me some bleed.
Maybe it's because I overplayed Bleed so much back when it was released, but there's a couple songs on Koloss that I would say are easily heavier or faster than Bleed. "The Demon's Name Is Surveillance" sounds like the spiritual successor to Bleed to my ears. The album as a whole is much stronger than Obzen anyway, even though Bleed will be their best known song for years to come.

Kaladin

I must admit, Meshuggah is one of those popular bands I could never get into for some reason. I can't put a finger on any one thing, I was just never a fan.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Maybe it's because I overplayed Bleed so much back when it was released, but there's a couple songs on Koloss that I would say are easily heavier or faster than Bleed. "The Demon's Name Is Surveillance" sounds like the spiritual successor to Bleed to my ears. The album as a whole is much stronger than Obzen anyway, even though Bleed will be their best known song for years to come.

From what i heard, i really like the more organic sound, can't wait to hear the whole album.

Thomas Haake said that no song on koloss is as difficult to play for him as bleed and that he has to switch to triggers, on his base drum, (only for this song) when playing bleed live.

I just can't tell you how much i love bleed :D

While the difficulty of a song has nothing to do with its quality, it has some magic to it knowing that a song is fucking hard to play.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I must admit, Meshuggah is one of those popular bands I could never get into for some reason. I can't put a finger on any one thing, I was just never a fan.

Same here, and i typically like heavy for the sake of heavy. Nothing about them appeals to me.

Not sure what I was expecting with that Adrenaline Mob album, but I'm happy I only tried a few tracks on Spotify. It's pretty bland. Kinda reminds me of a cross between the current Ozzy material and Nickelback. (ie shitty)

New Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death, Spawn of Possession and Coldworker albums slay, though.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Same here, and i typically like heavy for the sake of heavy. Nothing about them appeals to me.

I usually tend to like one or two songs from each album while the rest doesn't appeal to me at all. From the new album, Koloss, I only liked overall is The Demon's Name Is Surveillance since its a bit structured and doesn't change tempo every 10 sec.'s or more and some ambient noise in some tracks. Thats it.

What does that even mean? Isn't that just a sneaky way of saying "I think their songwriting is bad"?

The only thing that's actually "heavy for the sake of being heavy" is Slam-metal garbage, wich is just breakdowns and BREEBREE pigsqueals for 20 minutes.

Also, Pravus is the best song on ObZen. No contest.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
What does that even mean? Isn't that just a sneaky way of saying "I think their songwriting is bad"?

The only thing that's actually "heavy for the sake of being heavy" is Slam-metal garbage, wich is just breakdowns and BREEBREE pigsqueals for 20 minutes.

Also, Pravus is the best song on ObZen. No contest.

No. I don't think their song writing is bad. I 'get' what people like about them, it just doesn't appeal to me personally. Stylistically or thematically.

e_i

Ohhh...my co-worker just told me about Storm Corrosion. Akerfeldt and Wilson, FTFW! I preordered the special CD/Blu-ray edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom