• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I usually tend to like one or two songs from each album while the rest doesn't appeal to me at all. From the new album, Koloss, I only liked overall is The Demon's Name Is Surveillance since its a bit structured and doesn't change tempo every 10 sec.'s or more and some ambient noise in some tracks. Thats it.

Yea im in the same boat. There's a few riffs that i really like but then they diverge away and i just lose interest.

Type2

the new spawn of possession cd incurso is fantastic!

im gonna see meshuggah and whats left of decapitated next month =]

So the first vocalist announced for the Death To All tour is Charles Elliott of Abysmal Dawn. I can't say I'm a fan of Abysmal Dawn....but at least he has some history with Death. His first band Inhuman Visions opened for Death on the show that was recorded for Live In L.A.

I must say , this announcement doesn't do anything for me.

http://www.sickdrummermagazine.com/...ts-charles-elliott-of-abysmal-dawnbereft.html

honestly, i think the whole "re-union" thing is kind of sad. Totalling dismissing first half people like Chris Reifert, Kam Lee, James Murphy, Rick Rozz, etc.

Kaladin

honestly, i think the whole "re-union" thing is kind of sad. Totalling dismissing first half people like Chris Reifert, Kam Lee, James Murphy, Rick Rozz, etc.

I'm mostly interested because I never got to see Death live. They ended before I really started going to shows so it would be nice to see the reunion show. Plus it's a limited engagement for a good cause.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
Gonna check out the Adrenaline Mob album, but I honestly don't know what to expect.

Shame about the new Epica. I thought their last one was by FAR their best.

The thing with Epica is that, Mark Jansen wants to do a million things at a time that he is leaving Epica behind. The new album sounds pretty much like the same in the sense that their sound is like if they didn't grow up or like if they don't want to leave their comfort zone to try something different, this work doesn't show us something unique or that makes us think 'hey! those dudes are not only selling Simone Simon's pretty face [or body in all case, haha!]" but to me is like more of the same and pretty boring, and I really admire the band but this was really disappointing indeed.

Well, so Dragonforce are coming to my City with Trivium, let's give those Dragonforce dudes a chance :p

Melchiah

I might as well recommend a few Finnish DM bands of friends of mine.

Desolate Shrine - The Smell Of Blood And Iron
Lie in Ruins - Raging Fire (features the same singer, as the above)
Maveth - Of Serpent and Shadow

BTW, I've been talking with the guy who plays all the instruments in Desolate Shrine, and the vocalist of Demilich, of a project in the vein of old Carcass, Xysma, Impetigo and Nuclear death. It remains to be seen, when we find the time to actually start making it happen, as everyone has their own projects that consume most of their time.

Fucking killer shit. Sounds like old school Finnish death metal sound is making a comeback.

BTW, I've been talking with the guy who plays all the instruments in Desolate Shrine, and the vocalist of Demilich, of a project in the vein of old Carcass, Xysma, Impetigo and Nuclear death. It remains to be seen, when we find the time to actually start making it happen, as everyone has their own projects that consume most of their time.

super interested in this. As long as Antti Bowman still does the extreme guttural/gurgly vocals :) Actually mixing brutal, tongue in cheek, and quirky to any metal band is a recipe for success.

Melchiah

super interested in this. As long as Antti Bowman still does the extreme guttural/gurgly vocals :) Actually mixing brutal, tongue in cheek, and quirky to any metal band is a recipe for success.

Well, he would naturally be contributing on the lower end of the vocals. ;)

Fucking killer shit. Sounds like old school Finnish death metal sound is making a comeback.

What I've heard of the upcoming Desolate Shrine's album (sans vocals) sounds awesome as well. Maveth actually has an American singer, who nowadays lives in Finland.

yes Martin Van Drunen era Pestilence fucking crushes.

Check out Asphyx. It's what he did after, slower yet heavier.
Asphyx - M.S. Bismarck

even his latest band Hail of Bullets is pretty good.
Hail of Bullets - General Winter
I second this.

The Desolate Shrine album is great. I haven't heard of the others but I liked the tracks you posted.
Keep us posted on that project. I would love to hear it!

Found this on YouTube - possible song from Storm Corrosion? After hearing it, I don't know what to think. It could be fake, but it's definitely Mikael singing (in Swedish). Part of it sounds like "To Rid the Disease" from the Opeth album Damnation.

The drumming sounds pretty basic. Until he started singing, I was thinking this is definitely fake. But no doubt it's his voice, so I don't know.

Anyway, I like the song regardless of what it actually is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64behhTZ8K0

Now that I look at it, this was posted on Feb. 9. If it actually was Storm Corrosion, I guess it would have been pulled down a long time ago. Maybe this is an old Opeth demo or something?

Kaladin

Speaking of Storm Corrosion, they've already posted a review on Facebook. I'm not sure if it's ok to post since it is a magazine scan (even though they posted it themselves) but I'll just point you to Storm Corrosion's facebook to see it.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Does Kyuss count as metal?

Are you shitting me? Welcome to sky valley is one of the most monumental things to ever be printed onto a piece of plastic. So damn heavy. I miss John Garcia. I like Hermano and Unida but...eh....

SoulPlaya

more money than God
What does MetalGAF think of 5FDP? I had never heard of them (I mainly stick with classic metal and doom metal), but someone played me their new album tonight (American Capitalist), and I didn't think it was that bad, honestly. I don't know how their old stuff is, though.

Maddog

What does MetalGAF think of 5FDP? I had never heard of them (I mainly stick with classic metal and doom metal), but someone played me their new album tonight (American Capitalist), and I didn't think it was that bad, honestly. I don't know how their old stuff is, though.

I like them quite a bit. I know they do get a lot of hate in the Metal scene but their music is pretty badass. Makes me want to start a mosh pit in my room. And I'd definitely recommend their two other albums as there are some real gems there as well.

Fantastic. Check other videos, War Ensemble is just crazy

Guys and gals, some help please. My x dumped me, so any good metal songs to get myself occupied? Been listening to some extreme death metal and now i just want to go to her and made horrible some stuff with her (and her new love)....

Deströyer 666
http://youtu.be/TBNvbllRHw8
http://youtu.be/Ax7cdHiZ010

The Monolith Deathcult
http://youtu.be/q4jmwPTb5ek
http://youtu.be/sv-iuK_2DPA

Nokturnal Mortum
http://youtu.be/p4ZzqWhvOVA
http://youtu.be/RYT1QTPZrxI

lopaz

Banned
I went to Hammerfest in Wales a week ago, and saw Hell. They had an incredible stage show so I bought their album, and it turned out to be super sweet and awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpkuYxyYM2A

They're an old NWOBHM band from the 80s who disbanded because their singer committed suicide. Now years later they are back to school everyone in how to be rad

Hesemonni

Banned
It's a pretty interesting story involving a certain D666 and Blasphemy guy; the former asks the latter, why you have a n****r in your band, and the later immediataly punches him with a bottle he had in his hand. =)
Hmm, how many many black metal (or similar) bands have black members? I know plenty of death metal bands with black members, but in black metal front they're a bit of a rarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom