• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
What does MetalGAF think of 5FDP? I had never heard of them (I mainly stick with classic metal and doom metal), but someone played me their new album tonight (American Capitalist), and I didn't think it was that bad, honestly. I don't know how their old stuff is, though.

I think their first album Way of the Fist is a much better album than Capitalist and War, check it out.

Melchiah

Hmm, how many many black metal (or similar) bands have black members? I know plenty of death metal bands with black members, but in black metal front they're a bit of a rarity.

Not many, only Blasphemy and Mystifier come to mind, but it's not an excuse for such redneck behaviour. From what I've heard, it's a bigger problem in Poland, where the neo-nazis tend to attack bands who have members of a darker skin color. Happened with Archgoat and Hell Militia, when they played there.

Anyone heard of Bloodshot Dawn? Got their debut album free with my Terrorizer subscription, and it's not bad - just some good technical/melodic death metal, although the vocals are a bit weak imo. Check 'em out;

Bloodshot-Dawn-e1325534339318.jpg

01. Beckoning Oblivion
02. Dedication to a Dead Cause
03. Forlorn World
04. Godless
05. Vision
06. Sentient Disease
07. The Quantum Apocalypse
08. Sickening Dogma
09. Illusion Aesthetic
10. Prototype/Archetype

Melchiah

http://www.thatsnotmetal.com/2012/03/news-that-matters-paint-norwegian.html
Paint Norwegian Planes with Euronymous

If your hearts were broken over the outcome of The Summer Slaughter Tour vote, then fear not. By some miracle, your worth as a democratic metal fan have remained in tact. You can still make a difference in the world, by bringing black metal to Norwegian skies.

An airline in Norway, mysteriously named Norwegian Air Shuttle, is holding a vote online for people to choose their favorite popular Norwegian individual of cultural or historical importance. The person who gets the most votes will have their image immortalized on the tails of the airplanes to celebrate the company's 10th anniversary. Here's the company's description of the contest if you'd like more information:

The late Øystein Aarseth, or as we all knew him, Euronymous of Mayhem, somehow made it onto the polls. The article I read about this on Gun Shy Assassin was posted two days ago, and at the time of that writing, Aarseth was in a bleak 23rd. At the time of this writing, he made it all the way to 5th place. The progress is staggering, and I want this to happen so bad now that I can taste the goat's blood.

To cast your vote, click here. The website isn't in English, obviously, and I know how you guys have a hard enough time as it is reading and writing in your own fucking language. However it shouldn't be too hard to figure out for those of you that aren't retarded. (Click the heart, mongoloid.)

Spread the word like hellfire. We already got him to 5th in two days, so there's no reason we can't make this happen. You can vote through March 28th.

Voted.

I'm so pumped! Have you listened to it yet? What do you think of it?

I'll report back later after I've had some time to give it a couple spins
I have listened two times now, right now enjoying the third time with headphones! : ) Right now i'd put it next to my personal winning team of Surrounded by Thieves and Death:itc!

Epic arrangements on this one...There are even some more doomy Sleep-like moments here and there, like Madness of an Architect or the ending of Warhorn. Yep, I really like it as a whole and it only will grow with every listening. The sound/production really is killer, too. Pike's guitar sounds super heavy! Can't wait for my limited edition red vinyl of the album! :D Much much better than their last SftD in every aspect...I really didn't like the overall direction they were taking with that album but now they are back to dirt and epicness and more! It's awesome.

yacobod

Banned
i heard a rumor that High On Fire is going to be the surprise band at this years 3Fs Dark Lord Day, take it as you will, not sure if it's legit or not.

maxxpower

Not many, only Blasphemy and Mystifier come to mind, but it's not an excuse for such redneck behaviour. From what I've heard, it's a bigger problem in Poland, where the neo-nazis tend to attack bands who have members of a darker skin color. Happened with Archgoat and Hell Militia, when they played there.

Poland really disappoints me.

Melchiah

Fuck yes, another one. I've got the first one and it has some awesome footage. There's a segment where they are rehearsing in 1987 and theres a LITTLE KID standing next to Reifert's drum set and amps!!!

here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO1diUNreco

hahah good god.

Thanks for the link! I've never seen that before. It's somewhat odd to think it's been about 22 years since I bought their debut album, which I still have on vinyl here.

EDIT: I saw them playing for the first time at the last summer's Hammer Open Air, here in Finland. Too bad I got an explosive diarrhoea during their set, but I think it kind of fitted the context; Shitfun. ;)

Archon473

Melechesh isn't a concept band....

they own though

I was only joking because the light leading to the mountain/structure in the background looked similar; plus, that album is years old. "Djinn" is good, "Sphynx" is amazing to me, and "Emissaries" is great as well.

As not to come in here empty-handed, dig Battlemaster from Richmond, Virginia. They've been playing with Absu lately and GWAR before Cory Smoot's passing.

GAF, I need some thrash on Spotify. I know of the bigger players, Nuclear Assault, and Overkill.

Gimme some more names! Preferably bands with at least an entire album up(stupid Metallica). Even specific alums are welcomed!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
And the new singer of LUCA TURILLI'S RHAPSODY is:
bandmkk3b.jpg

He st.

they all look like trannies except for the guy on the far left. He looks like Tom fishcer of Celtic frost fame. metal!!!

also, I'll see if they're as good as the other rhapsody...

GAF, I need some thrash on Spotify. I know of the bigger players, Nuclear Assault, and Overkill.

Gimme some more names! Preferably bands with at least an entire album up(stupid Metallica). Even specific alums are welcomed!

Assassin - Interstellar Experience
Sabbat - Dreamweaver
Coroner - Punishment For Decadence
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Vektor - Black Future
Sodom - Agent Orange
Razor - Evil Invaders
Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
Atrophy - Violent By Nature
Onslaught - The Force
Morbid Saint - Spectrum Of Death
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
Sadus - Chemical Exposure
Kreator - Extreme Aggression
Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred
EvilDead - Annihilation of Civilization
Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
From the Agalloch Facebook:

Agalloch have completed the recording of their forthcoming EP entitled “Faustian Echoes”. With acclaimed engineer Billy Anderson at the helm, the band recorded a 20 minute long conceptual and colossal track live onto two-inch tape. The recording took place at Jackpot Studio in Portland, Oregon during March 24th-25th. A release date has yet to be set, but we will keep you all updated through our official Facebook page. This EP will appear on both LP and CD.

YES.

NGAMER9

The End Records' webshop, The Omega Order, has a 70% off sale going on with some decent stuff up for grabs + a free random t-shirt with an order :D Code is JOKES

Giving a plug to Melchiah's bands Black Dawn/Enochian Crescent. The 3-way split with those bands + O is available during this sale. As well as Enochain Crescent's Black Church.
Holy shit, thanks for tipping me off on the crazy webshop deal. If I'm calculating correctly, 15 bucks could net you all those Opeth reissues and that free t-shirt. That's a steal.

Blackheim

Holy shit, thanks for tipping me off on the crazy webshop deal. If I'm calculating correctly, 15 bucks could net you all those Opeth reissues and that free t-shirt. That's a steal.

I don't know if the Opeth albums are part of the deal, wouldn't hurt to try though :p I think the albums eligible are contained in the link. Last I looked, it was 808 CDs/vinyl...

NGAMER9

I don't know if the Opeth albums are part of the deal, wouldn't hurt to try though :p I think the albums eligible are contained in the link. Last I looked, it was 808 CDs/vinyl...
Nope, the code worked for me at checkout. So now I'm scouring through and throwing everything I can find into this cart...

Melchiah

Giving a plug to Melchiah's bands Black Dawn/Enochian Crescent. The 3-way split with those bands + O is available during this sale. As well as Enochain Crescent's Black Church.

Heh. Had no idea about any kind of sales. And if anyone has some misconceptions, I don't get anything from any sales, in fact, I've never ever seen any royalties, but that's not a problem because we've grown accustomed to it, and we create music just for the sake of doing so, ie. to please ourselves. I don't expect the deal with the bigger label to change it in any way, other than to continue recording our stuff in a professional studio.

EDIT: The better, the more available it is for everyone, as there are certain old albums stuck in limbo, we can't make available ourselves.

Blackheim

Heh. Had no idea about any kind of sales. And if anyone has some misconceptions, I don't get anything from any sales, in fact, I've never ever seen any royaltias, but that's not a problem because we've grown accustomed to it, and we create music just for the sake of doing so, ie. to please ourselves. I don't expect the deal with the bigger label to change it in any way, other than to continue recording our stuff in a professional studio.

Bah, that's crap :( Well, as long as they aren't cutting into your live/merch sales or meddle with your musical/creative output...

Considering that Unisonic's debut album has just came out in Europe and has been out for a week in Japan: What's MetalGAF's opinion on it? I know it's more Hard Rock than Heavy Metal but considering the line-up how could I not post it here?

600px-Unisonic_-_album_cover.jpg

Michael Kiske - Vocals
Mandy Meyer – Guitar
Kai Hansen – Guitar
Dennis Ward – Bass
Kosta Zafiriou – Drums

1. "Unisonic" (Dennis Ward, Kai Hansen, Mandy Meyer)
2. "Souls Alive" (Ward, Meyer )
3. "Never Too Late" (Hansen)
4. "I’ve Tried" (Ward)
5. "Star Rider" (Ward, Hansen)
6. "Never Change Me" (Hansen)
7. "The Morning After (Japanese bonus track)" (Michael Kiske, Meyer)
8. "Renegade" (Ward)
9. "My Sanctuary" (Ward, Hansen)
10. "King for a Day" (Hansen)
11. "We Rise" (Ward, Hansen)
12. "No One Ever Sees Me" (Kiske)
13. "Over The Rainbow (European bonus track)" (Hansen)

Videos:
Unisonic
UNISONIC Backstage: A committed band at work

Youtube Uploads:
My Sanctuary
Souls Alive (Demo before Kai joined)
We Rise (Radio Rip)

Melchiah

Bah, that's crap :( Well, as long as they aren't cutting into your live/merch sales or meddle with your musical/creative output...

It's not like I'm complaining, I'm perfectly satisfied when someone offers the opportunity for us to create something, pays our studios and has a good enough distribution. After all, you're not going to make any money performing extreme black metal ;)

EDIT: To be more clear, nowadays most of the bands I know record their stuff at home, because the small labels can't afford the studios, due to diminished sales caused by people downloading the albums for free via torrent sites and such.

Blackheim

It's not like I'm complaining, I'm perfectly satisfied when someone offers the opportunity for us to create something, pays our studios and has a good enough distribution. After all, you're not going to make any money performing extreme black metal ;)

Well, I wouldn't expect a person could solely live off the money from making that kind of music :p Would be nice if you made some, at least :p

Melchiah

Well, I wouldn't expect a person could solely live off the money from making that kind of music :p Would be nice if you made some, at least :p

Well, we make some, but not from the record sales, and it's nothing you could live by. Most of us have our daytime jobs. ;)

Once again, EDIT: I personally believe, that if you're financially dependable on your music, you end up restricting yourself eventually.

Blackheim

Well, we make some, but not from the record sales, and it's nothing you could live by. Most of us have our daytime jobs. ;)

Well, hopefully that changes for the better at some point, Enochian Crescent is some good shit.

So, buy that Black Church album people! Even though Melchiah won't benefit from it, you'll be getting awesome music. :D A shame that NEF.VI.LIM seems so rare/hard to find that it's not available in the sale :/ Telocvovim too, good stuff!\

Once again, EDIT: I personally believe, that if you're financially dependable on your music, you end up restricting yourself eventually.

Perhaps, not always though. :p

Melchiah

A shame that NEF.VI.LIM seems so rare/hard to find that it's not available in the sale

That's the one thing I hope will change by being on a bigger label, that everyone who wants our album can get it, as it's extremely frustrating to hear continuous requests from people outside Finland, who can't find our albums anywhere.

But I think that's enough about us.

I'm somewhat surprised and excited that Unholy is making their "comeback" appearance at this summer's Hammer Open Air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom