• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Eddman-

UNISONIC post

Got it some hours ago from iTunes. Delivered nicely for what it is: a Hard Rock album.

Songs are incredibly catchy and Kiske's voice is as good as ever. My favorites so far are Star Rider, We Rise, King for a Day and of course the title track. Sadly, I'm anticipating a lot of shit thrown at this album from people expecting a new Keeper of the Seven Keys. The sound of Unisonic is, in my opinion, closer to bands like Boston or even the lighter Gamma Ray stuff, like Heaven can Wait or Free Time.

Having said that, this is in my opinion, the best Hard Rock album released in many, many years. Totally recommended.

Sarcasm's "Crematory" album

Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican

The German "three kings" come to mind:

Kreator
Destruction
Sodom

Apparently, they're all on Spotify.

Assassin - Interstellar Experience
Sabbat - Dreamweaver
Coroner - Punishment For Decadence
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Vektor - Black Future
Sodom - Agent Orange
Razor - Evil Invaders
Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
Atrophy - Violent By Nature
Onslaught - The Force
Morbid Saint - Spectrum Of Death
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
Sadus - Chemical Exposure
Kreator - Extreme Aggression
Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred
EvilDead - Annihilation of Civilization
Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican

Ill have fun at work on Monday, thanks guys! :D

Flynn

Thanks for the heads up on that sale. I got a bunch of stuff for around $30 bucks.

LOSS - Despond
GRAVEYARD - Hisingen Blues
MOURNFUL CONGREGATION - The Unspoken Hymns
DARK CASTLE - Surrender To All Life Beyond Form
RWAKE - Rest
TOMBS - Path Of Totality
ALTAR OF PLAGUES - White Tomb
AGALLOCH - Pale Folklore
PESTE NOIRE - L'Ordure A L'Etat Pur

ShaneB

Really digging what I'm hearing from that Unisonic album. It's definitely more on the edge of Hard Rock, but plenty of Heavy Metal riffage there too, and it's perfect summertime driving music. Such incredible vibrato in Michael's voice too, damn. Perhaps my driving music tomorrow will be some of his Helloween work. :)

maxxpower

Been listening to Burzum's Umskiptar and it's definitely "different" from his previous albums. It's more vocal driven which I guess he somewhat hinted at in Fallen. There's about five songs with just guitars and vocals, no bass or drums, and those songs somewhat remind me of Dark-folk projects like Tenhi.

NGAMER9

Been listening to Burzum's Umskiptar and it's definitely "different" from his previous albums. It's more vocal driven which I guess he somewhat hinted at in Fallen. There's about five songs with just guitars and vocals, no bass or drums, and those songs somewhat remind me of Dark-folk projects like Tenhi.
This leaked? Where the hell have I been? I was a little soured by his rerecordings to be honest, as I thought that was simply an unnecessary release, but hopefully this will be a good one. I quite liked some moments on Fallen, but I'm not sure he'll reach near his early period again, especially with his new sounding voice.

maxxpower

This leaked? Where the hell have I been? I was a little soured by his rerecordings to be honest, as I thought that was simply an unnecessary release, but hopefully this will be a good one. I quite liked some moments on Fallen, but I'm not sure he'll reach near his early period again, especially with his new sounding voice.

I liked some songs in the re-recording, but I couldn't fully enjoy the album because of his whisper-harsh vocals. I don't know what you mean by reaching his early period again, I honestly never expected him to sound like his older stuff when he released Belus. Umskiptar sounds completely different from anything he's done before. It captures the melancholy and depression that his older works like Filosofem managed to capture as well, but it does so with a completely different approach music wise. Based on people's reactions to Belus and Fallen, I predict that many people will loathe Umskiptar. Personally, I'm liking it a lot.

NGAMER9

I liked some songs in the re-recording, but I couldn't fully enjoy the album because of his whisper-harsh vocals. I don't know what you mean by reaching his early period again, I honestly never expected him to sound like his older stuff when he released Belus. Umskiptar sounds completely different from anything he's done before. It captures the melancholy and depression that his older works like Filosofem managed to capture as well, but it does so with a completely different approach music wise. Based on people's reactions to Belus and Fallen, I predict that many people will loathe Umskiptar. Personally, I'm liking it a lot.
I think I was a bit shocked at the vocals post-prison. I used to love his primal screams on the classic albums, and they've been replaced with a whisper or clean vocals, so it's hard for me to put his current work up to the first four albums. Not that that's a bad thing, Varg is still putting out good material in an entirely different style than those albums.

Listening to this album, it's strange, but good strange. Definitely going to take me a ton of listens to really wrap my head around. No idea how I feel about it thus far, but that's probably a good thing.

Considering that Unisonic's debut album has just came out in Europe and has been out for a week in Japan: What's MetalGAF's opinion on it? I know it's more Hard Rock than Heavy Metal but considering the line-up how could I not post it here?

600px-Unisonic_-_album_cover.jpg

Love this album. It was definitely a bit of a bait-and-switch for me, but I listened to it a lot the past few days and it has grown on me immensely. You can feel Kai and Kiske's footprint all over it, and it clearly has a really rich and diverse mix of influences. Everyone sounds great, too; especially Michi. I really feel sorry for those people who will inevitably have been sorely expecting a Helloween-era sound and can't see how good this record actually is.

That said, I goddamn hate "Never Change Me". Cringe most of the way through every time I listen to it.

In other news, has anybody heard the new Dragonforce song? Yeah, groan, I know, I have never been a big fan either, but the song is actually pretty awesome. Best work they've ever done by a country mile, IMO.

Check it out here.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The End Records' webshop, The Omega Order, has a 70% off sale going on with some decent stuff up for grabs + a free random t-shirt with an order :D Code is JOKES
Damn, Omega's e-mails end up going to my spam folder half the time so I must have missed that one. Thanks for the heads-up... I shouldn't be spending money but maybe have to browse. Their sales are always pretty good.

EDIT: Man, word must've gotten out pretty quick about the sale because there's not much left. Probably a good thing for my wallet. I did get my favorite Menace Ruine album on vinyl, though. For $10 shipped I couldn't resist.

Subprime

Heh. Had no idea about any kind of sales. And if anyone has some misconceptions, I don't get anything from any sales, in fact, I've never ever seen any royalties, but that's not a problem because we've grown accustomed to it, and we create music just for the sake of doing so, ie. to please ourselves. I don't expect the deal with the bigger label to change it in any way, other than to continue recording our stuff in a professional studio.

EDIT: The better, the more available it is for everyone, as there are certain old albums stuck in limbo, we can't make available ourselves.

Thats fuckd up. More labels should go the dischord route of doing a 50/50 royalty split with the band once the recording fees are covered.

Melchiah

Thats fuckd up. More labels should go the dischord route of doing a 50/50 royalty split with the band once the recording fees are covered.

Well, there's not much to share, as recording a full length album in a professional studio can cost up to 5000€, and far more + mastering and cover art, and possibly promotion and a music video. Bearing in mind this kind of albums very rarily sell anywhere near 10000 copies.

Some bands make money by recording the albums at home, or rehearsal place, and as the label doesn't have to pay for the studios they usually get to sell a fairly large amount of their albums themselves. Seems too much trouble, as far as I'm concerned.

DieH@rd

Banned
they all look like trannies except for the guy on the far left. He looks like Tom fishcer of Celtic frost fame. metal!!!

also, I'll see if they're as good as the other rhapsody...

The guy on the far left wrote all the music and lyrics for the old Rhapsody, and he played main guitar.

So... they are gonna be good as the "other rhapsody". :)

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
Considering that Unisonic's debut album has just came out in Europe and has been out for a week in Japan: What's MetalGAF's opinion on it? I know it's more Hard Rock than Heavy Metal but considering the line-up how could I not post it here?

600px-Unisonic_-_album_cover.jpg

Michael Kiske - Vocals
Mandy Meyer – Guitar
Kai Hansen – Guitar
Dennis Ward – Bass
Kosta Zafiriou – Drums

1. "Unisonic" (Dennis Ward, Kai Hansen, Mandy Meyer)
2. "Souls Alive" (Ward, Meyer )
3. "Never Too Late" (Hansen)
4. "I’ve Tried" (Ward)
5. "Star Rider" (Ward, Hansen)
6. "Never Change Me" (Hansen)
7. "The Morning After (Japanese bonus track)" (Michael Kiske, Meyer)
8. "Renegade" (Ward)
9. "My Sanctuary" (Ward, Hansen)
10. "King for a Day" (Hansen)
11. "We Rise" (Ward, Hansen)
12. "No One Ever Sees Me" (Kiske)
13. "Over The Rainbow (European bonus track)" (Hansen)

Videos:
Unisonic
UNISONIC Backstage: A committed band at work

Youtube Uploads:
My Sanctuary
Souls Alive (Demo before Kai joined)
We Rise (Radio Rip)

Will see them in May and I have to say that this album totally blew my mind, Michael Kiske is one of my all time music icons and he never ever disappoints me, Loved his work with Tobias Sammet in Avantasia, Amanda Somerville, Place Vendome, etc. and this time was like woaaaaaaah! this pure joy to my ears.

Hey Metal gaf, I'm Looking for "Beauty and the beast" types of bands. Where, Male - growl and girl - clean vocals etc.

Any suggestions?

Already Known:
Deadlock

maxxpower

Hey Metal gaf, I'm Looking for "Beauty and the beast" types of bands. Where, Male - growl and girl - clean vocals etc.

Any suggestions?

Already Known:
Deadlock

I don't quite enjoy that particular genre of metal that much, but one of my favourite metal bands happens to be a gothic(beauty and the beast) metal band, and it's Without Face. Compared to most gothic metal bands, Without Face just sounds more organic and doesn't rely on crappy synthesized strings. Here's one of my favourite Without Face songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIgrXZ-tLPI

BHK3

Banned
In other news, has anybody heard the new Dragonforce song? Yeah, groan, I know, I have never been a big fan either, but the song is actually pretty awesome. Best work they've ever done by a country mile, IMO.

Check it out here.
I don't love them but I don't hate them, when was the last time they did anything though? I haven't heard from them in years. Like the song though, they still have that twang to it.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
I guess you could check out Thorr's Hammer. The twist being it's just a girl doing both!

They just realised one EP right? I think I saw that here in Mexico a couple of years ago, I remember their name cuz of the double 'R' in the Thor word. The girl kicked ass in grunts. I think she is norwegian. That's what the dude that was selling their stuff told me the day I listened to them. Great stuff.

Hey, a metal thread that isn't full of douches that hate anything that isn't super heavy and about Satan!

This has always been a dream of mine.

Luca Turilli = God

That is all.

Hey, a metal thread that isn't full of douches that hate anything that isn't super heavy and about Satan!

Luca Turilli = God

That is all.
Are you new to this thread? If so, welcome! One of the best things about this thread is the civility of its discussion. I think all of us metal GAFfers deserve another "Hell yes" for that, so...

Hell yes!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

Luca Turilli = God

That is all.

I love satan. there needs to be more bands mentioned here that deals about satan, crucifying jesus/christians, etc...also whats wrong with super heavy??

anyways, stop being a douche to other douches of this metal thread, you douche :p

finally, Im one of the fewest douches here tho...lol

and Luca tuirilli= god?? is what way?

Flynn

Are you new to this thread? If so, welcome! One of the best things about this thread is the civility of its discussion. I think all of us metal GAFfers deserve another "Hell yes" for that, so...

Hell yes!

Seconded. The more people and perspectives in the metal thread the more awesome music we get turned onto. Everybody wins!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I'm all for Satan and heaviness, sure.
You guys even tolerate my dalliances into posting bands that are way more on the punk side of things, and there's much less befuddlement than in the punk thread (though a guy there was down with Liberteer). I'm going to keep posting there, it just feels like I'm pissing in some Goldfinger fan's cereal every time me and Dr Dawg or whoever start talking about d-beat.

hail satan!

also, whats wrong about d-beat? I like it. Disfear motherfuckers!!!
:D

Picked up Mastodon's The Hunter deluxe edition, mostly because of the cover. :D It's kind of addictive and slightly on the poppy side...but great! Complex, heavy and accessible...A strange mix; I don't think I have owned an album like this before. There are 2 or 3 songs, though, that have singing passages in it that remind me of emo clean style I really hate. However, a few seconds later some interesting parts keep popping up so I have no problem with that. Mastodon sure changed their sound since Leviathan but I can see the progression, it makes sense.

Doomshine

Tell me gaf what are the must owns from Manowar?
Im up for some goodol metal cheese.

I would go for at least the first four albums, but there's something great on most of them. A lot of people dislike Fighting The World, but hey, it has Black Wind, Fire and Steel and Violence and Bloodshed. It's probably the weakest album though.

Kings of Metal, The Triumph of Steel and Louder than Hell all have classic songs on them so I wouldn't overlook those either.

While we are talking about Satan, this is the secret best Manowar song :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAmfjU_tlB4

Always liked Luca's guitar playing but there are a whole lot of egos in play with that band in my opinion anyway. After seeing the trailer for his guitar dvd a while back... *shudders*

Picked up Mastodon's The Hunter deluxe edition, mostly because of the cover. :D It's kind of addictive and slightly on the poppy side...but great! Complex, heavy and accessible...A strange mix; I don't think I have owned an album like this before. There are 2 or 3 songs, though, that have singing passages in it that remind me of emo clean style I really hate. However, a few seconds later some interesting parts keep popping up so I have no problem with that. Mastodon sure changed their sound since Leviathan but I can see the progression, it makes sense.
I almost didn't like The Hunter the first time I listened to it, but it's definitely a grower. I think the only song I don't really enjoy at all is Creature Lives; everything else is great (Stargasm being my favorite). I like what Mastodon's become, because at nearly 40 I can't take a sonic assault all of the time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom