• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomshine

lol.

This time for real! Honest!

I honestly didn't know there had been update before I posted, but I'm not getting my hopes up:

I´ve been mixing my ass off and things are going smooth and steady now and the album will be released late summer. Stay tuned for bigger updates about the album (or should we say "albums", wink wink!)“ Jari and the Wintersun boys, cheers!

Double album? :eek:

Sonki.

Banned
423583_350665504975476_170775862964442_956785_272196801_n.jpg

These guys are from Calgary and they are ripping it lately. Best guys. They know their shit and they are making some really rad old school speed metal. This is a violent poser crushing speed assault. GOOD SHIT. I'm stoked. Songs about getting fucked and drinking beer and death to posers.

They play in other bands around the city. But this is refreshing. Download the EP.

For fans of Razor, Running Wild, Exciter, Destruction, Venom, Judas Priest, etc.

GATEKRASHOR - FEAR OF ATTACK EP
http://www.mediafire.com/?nf7ifffhdbelakw

Anyone bought Iron Maiden's En Vivo live album/dvd yet? Excellent sound quality. Much better than Death on the Road. I absolutely love the live version of 'The Way the Wild Wind Blows'.

I'd like them to mix the song choice up a bit more for the next live album. I'd love them to crack out Phantom of the Opera and some of the older stuff. Leave Hallowed Be Thy Name, Fear of the Dark and The Evil that Men Do off of the next one.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Anyone bought Iron Maiden's En Vivo live album/dvd yet? Excellent sound quality. Much better than Death on the Road. I absolutely love the live version of 'The Way the Wild Wind Blows'.
All songs from The Final Frontier sound awesome live

22fbf96c7b928d69721a3a15f05.jpg

Have any of you guys given Soen a listen? Martin Lopez on drums and Steve DiGiorgio on bass. Lopez was the drawcard for me, as I've always loved his style in Opeth. The vocalist - a fellow by the name of Joel Ekelof - is also fantastic; think of a slightly more restrained Akerfeldt, but with the precision to match.

Anyway, they are likened to Tool quite a bit and sure, the similarities are there, but to my ears, they are far less "tribal-y" (a trait of Tool's that I find tiresome) and just flat-out better. The compositions also share similarities with Opeth's more accessible and catchier tunes. There is an abundance of hooks existing within a tapestry of fairly interesting structures and as expected, the production/musicianship is flawless.

I know that a comparison to Tool might not go down well with metalheads, but don't let that deter you. It's simply great, mature progressive rock/metal delivered impeccably.

Have a taste!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9-aQcMfGjgCached

Ixion

Have any of you guys given Soen a listen? Martin Lopez on drums and Steve DiGiorgio on bass. Lopez was the drawcard for me, as I've always loved his style in Opeth. The vocalist - a fellow by the name of Joel Ekelof - is also fantastic; think of a slightly more restrained Akerfeldt, but with the precision to match.

Anyway, they are likened to Tool quite a bit and sure, the similarities are there, but to my ears, they are far less "tribal-y" (a trait of Tool's that I find tiresome) and just flat-out better. The compositions also share similarities with Opeth's more accessible and catchier tunes. There is an abundance of hooks existing within a tapestry of fairly interesting structures and as expected, the production/musicianship is flawless.

I know that a comparison to Tool might not go down well with metalheads, but don't let that deter you. It's simply great, mature progressive rock/metal delivered impeccably.

Have a taste!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9-aQcMfGjgCached

I listened to these guys a bit a few weeks ago and they just seemed like Tool, but more watered down. Tool is my favorite band, so keep my bias in mind.

That's a damn fine support lineup. I was able to catch Velnias at Heathen Crusade 3 and their show was awesome.

Yeah, Velnias were excellent tonight, they killed it. Fen were good too, but their sound was a bit weak. Agalloch were as awesome as expected, although the drums needed to be lower in the mix and the venue didn't lend itself well to Agalloch's more subdued moments.

I listened to these guys a bit a few weeks ago and they just seemed like Tool, but more watered down. Tool is my favorite band, so keep my bias in mind.

Ha. Fair enough. I totally get bias towards imitators, so I'll not hold it against you; and that's not to say that Soen is objectively better or anything.

Yeah, Velnias were excellent tonight, they killed it. Fen were good too, but their sound was a bit weak. Agalloch were as awesome as expected, although the drums needed to be lower in the mix and the venue didn't lend itself well to Agalloch's more subdued moments.

Please tell me that their drummer doesn't suck as much live as he does in studio (I'm going on Pale Folklore here, so I'm guessing that the line-up may have changed since) :).

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Holy shit. I just came back from the Opeth Mastodon show. What a night. I'll do a decent write up a little later but rest assured it was great.

Wow, thanks for all of the answers to my question guys. I had no idea so much glorious metal was slated to be released in 2012! Now the list of albums I'm keeping an eye for this year on has grown five times its original size

On the proggier side of things, I just found out Arjen Lucassen (mastermind behind Ayreon and Star One) is releasing a solo album next month! He just released the first track from the upcoming project.

Lost in the New Real

The video features typed commentary throughout the song from Arjen, so it's an interesting watch

New Pantera song:

Piss

I dig it. Kinda like Using My 3rd Arm with new lyrics, heh. I actually submitted a video for this and was accepted but they sent me an e-mail at like 3 AM on the 5th that said I needed to print the form, sign and scan it and send it back by the 7th. Not a real big window of opportunity there and of course I didnt check my e-mail until right after midnight on the 7th. Sigh...really bummed about that.

Kaladin

I finally got around to listening to the new High On Fire record. This thing is fucking heavy. If it wasn't for some of the other stuff I already know about coming out this year, I'd declare it album of the year. It's top 10 material for sure though. I'm glad I bought one of the clear LPs.

Ravager61

I finally got around to listening to the new High On Fire record. This thing is fucking heavy. If it wasn't for some of the other stuff I already know about coming out this year, I'd declare it album of the year. It's top 10 material for sure though. I'm glad I bought one of the clear LPs.

Yes, this album is very good. Definitely a step up from their last one.

In other Matt Pike news, Southern Lord is releasing a new mix of Sleep's Dopesmoker next month and I could not be more excited for it. One of the heaviest albums of all time is about to get heavier.

Melchiah

For those interested in Finnish black metal, our booking agent just put his first podcast online.

Mrcö Bookings Podcast 13.04.2012 - The Oath of Finnish Blood
http://soundcloud.com/mrcobookings/mrc-bookings-podcast-13-04-theoathoffinnishblood

- Horna: Verilehto (Sanojesi Äärelle, Debemur Morti Productions 2008)
- True Black Dawn: Blood For Satan (Blood For Satan, Necropolis Records 2002)
- Ride For Revenge: The Evil Complete (Goatmoon/Ride For Revenge 'In the Spirit of Ultimate Sacrifice', Bestial Burst 2008)
- Korgonthurus: Kahlittu Huora Jumalan (Ristillä Mädäntyen, Obscure Abhorrence Productions 2007)
- Baptism: Ruins (Evil Mysteries, Northern Heritage Records 2006)
- Sacrilegious Impalement: Behead The Infants Of God (World In Ashes, Blasphemous Underground Productions 2008)
- Archgoat: Jesus Spawn (Angelcunt Tales of Desecration, Necropolis Records 1993)
- Musta Surma: Kuolema (Riena, Surma Productions 1999)
- Enochian Crescent: Tango Absinto (Black Church, Woodcut Records 2006)
- Satanic Warmaster: Majesty Of Wampyric Blood (Satanic Warmaster/Totenburg, Hammerbund Division Vinland 2009)
- Vitsaus: Kuolema (Ruumiinvaellus, Ahdistuksen Aihio Productions 2005)
- Clandestine Blaze: Trophy (Crushing the Holy Trinity, Northern Heritage Records 2005)
- Behexen: Mouth Of Leviathan (Behexen/Satanic Warmaster, Hammer Of Hate 2008)
- Exordium: Wrathprayer (Nihil I.N.R.I, Northern Heritage Records 2005)
- Goatmoon: BlackgoatWorship (Azazel/Goatmoon, Werewolf Records 2011)
- Desolate Shrine: The Smell Of Blood And Iron (Tenebrous Towers, Hammer Of Hate 2011)
- Uncreation's Dawn: Hateful Assault (Baptism/Uncreation's Dawn, Hammer Of Hate 2004)
- Beherit: Hail Satanas (Dawn of Satan's Millennium, Turbo 1990)
- Diaboli: Baptized In Blood (Invocation, Northern Heritage Records 2010)
- Lord Of Pagathorn: Chapter I (Msilihporcen, Demo 2010)
- Kadotus: Three Chalices (Vaienneet Temppelit, Werewolf Records 2011)
- Anal Blasphemy: Sermons Of Sodomite (Sermons Of Sodomite, Hammer Of Hate 2011)
- Charnel Winds: The Spear And The Crocodile (Der Teufelsbund, Werewolf Records 2011)
- Sargeist: Crimson Wine (Crimson Wine/As the Blood Flows On..., Moribund Records 2011)
- Förgjord: Musta Lintu (Sielunvihollinen, Hammer Of Hate 2012)
- Bloodhammer: Kaikki saastuneet Tuhotaan (Bloodhammer/Black Beast, Primitive Reaction 2006)

Yes, this album is very good. Definitely a step up from their last one.

In other Matt Pike news, Southern Lord is releasing a new mix of Sleep's Dopesmoker next month and I could not be more excited for it. One of the heaviest albums of all time is about to get heavier.

The new Dopesmoker album art is also awesome (your avatar)! It's from Arik Roper, who also made the last Dopesmoker artwork most of HOF's covers (Blessed Black Wings, Death is This Communion, Snakes for the Divine
offsite

Good to see others liking the new HOF! That and Death is This Communion are in constant rotation here.

Melchiah

What? I wouldn't support the genre if every metal band adhered to all of the brutal shit that gets sung about

Hence, European black metal... You are what you are.

I just read an interview of Deafheaven, who claim to be black metal; "We don't agree with the idea, that black metal is supposed to be solely about Satanism." - How stupid can you be? It's the one genre, which is defined by ideology, and you want to say it's otherwise? Perhaps they should chooose another genre, as BM has always been defined by idea, more than music.

Milchjon

Hence, European black metal... You are what you are.

I just read an interview of Deafheaven, who claim to be black metal; "We don't agree with the idea, that black metal is supposed to be solely about Satanism." - How stupid can you be? It's the one genre, which is defined by ideology, and you want to say it's otherwise? Perhaps they should chooose another genre, as BM has always been defined by idea, more than music.

Hmm? I like a lot of music where I don't agree with the content/sentiment. I'd hate 99% of all Metal if they believed and lived what they sing about.

Melchiah

Hmm? I like a lot of music where I don't agree with the content/sentiment. I'd hate 99% of all Metal if they believed and lived what they sing about.

Like I said, Black metal is not a music style (never has been), it's about the ideology. When the "Norwegian sound" became common, people assumed that's black metal, when in truth there's no BM sound, only the idea.

Flynn

Like I said, Black metal is not a music style (never has been), it's about the ideology. When the "Norwegian sound" became common, people assumed that's black metal, when in truth there's no BM sound, only the idea.

I think this definition of black metal, though likely true to the spirit of the originators, requires a fair amount of cognitive dissonance to really believe. There are sonic signifiers of black metal. Maybe you aren't trve black metal if you sound a certain way but don't live by all kinds of crazy beliefs, but if it looks, smells and sounds like a duck...

It's about the ideology to some, and about the musical style to others. Don't get me wrong, I hate metal bands that "sell-out", and the music does feel disingenuous to me if the artists don't fit my definition of "metal". To me, it's more about the philosophy of inner strength and not blindly accepting authority rather than about actually worshipping satan and slaughtering your enemies or whatever the literal extension of the lyrics are.

Melchiah

It's about the ideology to some, and about the musical style to others. Don't get me wrong, I hate metal bands that "sell-out", and the music does feel disingenuous to me if the artists don't fit my definition of "metal". To me, it's more about the philosophy of inner strength and not blindly accepting authority rather than about actually worshipping satan and slaughtering your enemies or whatever the literal extension of the lyrics are.

There's no that and this, or inbetween, it's either this or it's not. Simple as that.

EDIT: I dislike the idea, that someone, who's a fresh-comer, tries to tell me how it is, or it's supposed to be.

There's no that and this, or inbetween, it's either this or it's not. Simple as that.

EDIT: I dislike the idea, that someone, who's a fresh-comer, tries to tell me how it is, or it's supposed to be.
But you are telling other people how it is or how it's supposed to be. I'm just not sure why black metal specifically has to be performed by people who are ideologically pure but not other metal sub-genres.

I'm certainly not trying to discredit your opinion, but I'm curious as to why you don't think there can be any in-between or gray area

EDIT: One of your bands is Black Dawn, right?

"In the garden once holy
Now desecrated and stained
Semen runs on the hallowed ground
Into the mouths of the blessed

Semen for the blessed... desecrated the dead"

Do you literally go around to graveyards masturbating on corpses?

"Sex with steel, blade me
I ejaculate black blood
Bloody painful masturbation
I am the whore of Satan!"

Do you literally cut your flesh in worship of Satan, and derive sexual pleasure from it?

My gut instinct tells me the answer to those questions is no. Unless I'm missing the point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom