• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceres

Banned
nitewulf said:
anyone listen to this? the cover intrigues me.

Not a comment on the band but if you don't know much about retro art styles, I highly suggest you check out the art nouveau movement. The cover is especially similar to Alphonse Mucha. It's a favorite style of mine and we've got the entire downstairs filled with Mucha art.

On topic, We're leaving for Progpower tomorrow. Seeing Helloween, Gamma Ray, Manticora, Iced Earth, Amorphis, Elvenking, Riverside, and a number of other bands. Oddly enough I'm almost more excited for the announcement of bands for next year's fest (10th anniversary).

Ravager61

Giant Robot said:
ahhaha, thats as great as Autopsy getting a lot of funding from Peaceville to record their second album "Mental Funeral" and blowing most of the money on weed. But it turned out for the better because it was simply one of the BEST death metal albums ever conceived. Without it's shitty production, it wouldn't have sound perfect like the way it is.

agree 100%. The bass guitar and bass drum sounds on the first 2 Autopsy records are a big part of what make them so good.

Lebron

Guess this is the best place to ask. I've gotten into Metal recently and I'm looking to expand my library. Most of my friends aren't into it, so recommendations are hard to come by. So suggestions would be appreciated. I'm still new to it all, so bear with me. This is what I'm currently listening to, and like.

Kamelot- basically everything post The Fourth Legacy. The Black Halo is my favorite, like most people.

Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Knight, Successor, Unia

Edguy- Hellfire Club, Mandrake

Amon Amarth- With Odin on Our Side(only have Cry of the Black Birds though)

Nightwish- Dark Passion Play, Oceanborn, Once, Century Child

Almah- Edu Falashi

Dream Evil- Evilized

Equilibrium- Sagas

Yeah, pretty bare bones, I know. Thus why I'm asking. Thanks

yacobod

Banned
seems like you enjoy power metal

i would check out blind guardian

cant go wrong with the following BG albums: battalions of fear, follow the blind, tales from the twilight world, somewhere far beyond, and imaginations from the other side, if you want to make it easy you could try out the live album tokyo tales which is like a best of the early speed metal years

another good power metal band is gamma ray, check out somewhere out in space, land of the free, or powerplant, all good albums

also might as well pimp judas priest

definately check out Unleashed in the East, Painkiller, Stained Class, and Screaming for Vengeance

also in the same vein might as well check out Maiden, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and Somewhere in Time are very power metalish

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
yacobod said:
seems like you enjoy power metal

i would check out blind guardian

cant go wrong with the following BG albums: battalions of fear, follow the blind, tales from the twilight world, somewhere far beyond, and imaginations from the other side, if you want to make it easy you could try out the live album tokyo tales which is like a best of the early speed metal years

another good power metal band is gamma ray, check out somewhere out in space, land of the free, or powerplant, all good albums

also might as well pimp judas priest

definately check out Unleashed in the East, Painkiller, Stained Class, and Screaming for Vengeance

also in the same vein might as well check out Maiden, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and Somewhere in Time are very power metalish
You have such good taste but your Opeth hate sickens me.

Outlaw

Banned
Lebron said:
Guess this is the best place to ask. I've gotten into Metal recently and I'm looking to expand my library. Most of my friends aren't into it, so recommendations are hard to come by. So suggestions would be appreciated. I'm still new to it all, so bear with me. This is what I'm currently listening to, and like.

Kamelot- basically everything post The Fourth Legacy. The Black Halo is my favorite, like most people.

Almah- Edu Falashi

Dream Evil- Evilized

Equilibrium- Sagas

If you like Equilibrium then try:

Eluveitie
Turisas
Tyr
Ensiferum
Wintersun

For Nightwish:

Epica
After Forever

For Amon Amarth:

Einherjer

Lebron

Thanks for the suggestions, yacobod and outlaw. I'll definitely look into the ones you mentioned.

Also, I, err, well friend just bought us tickets to see Metallica when they come to Chicago in January. I'm not that big of a fan mainly to being out of the loop, but hey, it's free! I, since I couldn't find anyone that wanted to go, also bought tickets to see Kamelot & Edguy in October. The Kamelot and Edguy show will be my first metal concert. Should be interesting:lol

Edit: Simone Simons is one hot little piece...Oliver from Kamelot is one lucky, lucky, sucker :p

I'm listening to the band Next Waste Dimension right now and really like it. Are there more similar bands like it? It's death metal mixed with dance music.

http://www.myspace.com/nextwastedimensioncom

Edit: Also, I like to hear metal in other languages than English. I know a lot of folkmetal bands do this (Moonsorrow, Finntroll, Heidevolk, Týr) and a lot of German bands. But do you guys know any bands that sing in other languages? French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese etc..?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
SecretSphere said:
I'm listening to the band Next Waste Dimension right now and really like it. Are there more similar bands like it? It's death metal mixed with dance music.

Edit: Also, I like to hear metal in other languages than English. I know a lot of folkmetal bands do this (Moonsorrow, Finntroll, Heidevolk, Týr) and a lot of German bands. But do you guys know any bands that sing in other languages? French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese etc..?

They're not bad but they really sound like a rip-off of ...And Oceans.

Ceres

Banned
Lebron said:
Thanks for the suggestions, yacobob and outlaw. I'll definitely look into the ones you mentioned.

Also, I, err, well friend just bought us tickets to see Metallica when they come to Chicago in January. I'm not that big of a fan mainly to being out of the loop, but hey, it's free! I, since I couldn't find anyone that wanted to go, also bought tickets to see Kamelot & Edguy in October. The Kamelot and Edguy show will be my first metal concert. Should be interesting:lol

Kamelot is awesome in concert. I'm really disappointed I'm missing this tour but I don't have any more time I can take off from work and they'll only be in my area (3 hrs away) on weekdays. Therion is probably the only other band that I'd put up there in my all time favorite performances. I haven't seen Edguy but I've heard they're pretty fun live.

Also, other bands to check out: Ayreon, Avantasia (lead singer from Edguy's side project), Angra, and Serenity.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Lebron said:

Almah- Edu Falashi

Dream Evil- Evilized

Equilibrium- Sagas

Well if you like Kamelot, you might like Rhapsody of Fire (formerly known as Rhapsody) or Helloween.

And if you like Nightwish, you might like Elis, Angtoria, or Tarja's solo album.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Zero Hour's newest album, Dark Deceiver, is really good. Typically I don't like prog, but when a buddy told me it sounds like a darker-sounding Spiral Architect, I was sold. And this album's fantastic.

192881f6cea.jpg

And probably what is going to be this year's best black metal album:

Krallice - Krallice

20420931c78.jpg

I'm gonna borrow an excerpt from a review at the Metal Archives as it describes perfectly what I'm feeling about this album:

The immediate comparison that struck me from the opening chords of “Wretched Wisdom” was Weakling; long songs, distant shrieks and shouts, seething, tremolo picked riffage littered with layered, intricate structures and some moments of haunting introspection. I also hear some Deathspell Omega here in the chaotic guitar work though far less malevolent, and also some classic Ulver and Wolves in the Throne Room in the more organic hues, simple drum work, minimalist basslines and chord progressions.

Also, the chord progressions and the chord resolutions give it a real shoegazey vibe without making it overtly hipster as fuck.

Ceres

Banned
SecretSphere said:

Try the Secret of the Runes album from Therion. Most of the songs are in Swedish.

陰陽座(aka Onmyo-Za or Onmyouza) - Japanese

Seraphim - Chinese

Versailles - Japanese (and um..... that's a guy)

Phobophile said:
Zero Hour's newest album, Dark Deceiver, is really good. Typically I don't like prog, but when a buddy told me it sounds like a darker-sounding Spiral Architect, I was sold. And this album's fantastic.

192881f6cea.jpg

Those guys are really cool. I've personally known them and have had them on my show quite a few times. But haven't kept up with their music since The Towers Of Avarice. Will check this one out soon.

BTW, Spiral Architect ruled, once you get over that singer's voice >=[

Siyou

Witchfinder General said:
Cradle of Filth are fine - Cruelty and the Beast is a decent
If you don't I - and I'm sure many others could happily recommend you similar bands to open up your repertoire.
hook it up =)

Also i recommend Tvangeste if nobody has heard of them, they have SOME decent stuff.

sample

the videos are shitty as hell tho

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Siyou said:
hook it up =)

Also i recommend Tvangeste if nobody has heard of them, they have SOME decent stuff.

sample

the videos are shitty as hell tho

Ok, try the following albums:

Angtoria - God Has a Plan For Us All
The Sins of Thy Beloved - Lake of Sorrow
Tristania - Beyond the Veil
The Meads of Asphodel - Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans

Their not exactly like Cradle of Filth but I think if you do like COF then you'll probably reap some enjoyment from the aforementioned bands.

Flynn

Phobophile said:
And probably what is going to be this year's best black metal album:

Krallice - Krallice

20420931c78.jpg

I'm gonna borrow an excerpt from a review at the Metal Archives as it describes perfectly what I'm feeling about this album:

Also, the chord progressions and the chord resolutions give it a real shoegazey vibe without making it overtly hipster as fuck.

I'm glad somebody else mentioned this record. I posted about it a while ago to complete and utter silence.

-Eddman-

Lebron said:

Soooooo... you like Power Metal, cool, my favorite kind of metal, that's why i'm so fucking disappointed no one said:

-Motherfuckin' Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1
zswsv7.jpg

-Motherfuckin' Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2
2j34ojs.jpg

Both by Helloween

ashamed of metal-GAF, those albums define the sub-genre...

also, you will fall in love with:

-Gamma Ray (Kai Hansen am GOD)
-X-Japan (Vanishing Vision and Blue Blood albums)
-Rhapsody of Fire (Legendary Tales and Symphony of Enchanted Lands)
-Stratovarius (Episode is one of my fav. power metal albums)
-Running Wild
-Iron Savior
-Sex Machineguns

Garbage that you must avoid at all costs: DragonForce

-Eddman-

fistfulofmetal said:
I've never been a fan of Kai Hansen's voice. It just irks me.

Listen to the "Skeletons in the Closet" live album if you have a chance, surprising how the voice is significantly better than the studio versions in songs like "The Silence" or "Shine On" :D

Siyou

Ceres said:
Try the Secret of the Runes album from Therion. Most of the songs are in Swedish.

陰陽座(aka Onmyo-Za or Onmyouza) - Japanese

Seraphim - Chinese

Versailles - Japanese (and um..... that's a guy)
defintely enjoy Versailles, also Seraphim and the other asian bands were decent as well.

Witchfinder General said:
Ok, try the following albums:

Angtoria - God Has a Plan For Us All
The Sins of Thy Beloved - Lake of Sorrow
Tristania - Beyond the Veil
The Meads of Asphodel - Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans

Their not exactly like Cradle of Filth but I think if you do like COF then you'll probably reap some enjoyment from the aforementioned bands.
I checked out each of the bands and checked multiple songs, didn't really have the feel that CoF does for me. I can't really explain it.

TSoTB & Tristania reminded me a bit of Theatre of Tragedy, although it isn't really a metal band i guess it was the vocals that did it for me. The lyrics I also looked up, they didn't seem to appeal to me either (by no means am I saying CoFs lyrics are by far any better) i honestly did give the bands a shot and thanks for the suggestion anyways, ill keep my eyes peeled on this topic for interesting bands. =)

also i forgot to mention kekal, not sure if any1 posted them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXsBA1AemFg&feature=related

duffey

Actually if you dig CoF you might enjoy Chthonic. They were at Ozzfest a couple years back but they're pretty far from the usual dreck that ends up there (and to be honest, I have no idea how they even ended up at Ozzfest). Anyway, Seediq Bale would probably be the best album to start with from them as it's probably their best output to date.

edit: In regards to the Trivium mention, having only heard the songs they posted on Youtube it should be really good. Way thrashier than I thought.

Lebron

Thanks for the additional suggestions, I've been downloading like crazy. This is where having a Zune Pass begins to show its worth:lol

some new favorties are, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody of Fire, Stratovarius, Elis, and After Forever.

SecretSphere said:

Skyforger - Latvian (folk/pagan)
Negură Bunget - Romanian (black)
Asesino - Spanish (death/grind)
!T.O.O.H.! - Czech (prog death)

!T.O.O.H.! is really recommended if you like tech/prog death, especially the album Rád A Trest/Order and Punishment. Someone recommended Lykathea's Elvenefris, if you liked that than you should check this band out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3M-vB_r9Z2o

yacobod

Banned
-Eddman- said:
Soooooo... you like Power Metal, cool, my favorite kind of metal, that's why i'm so fucking disappointed no one said:

Both by Helloween

-Running Wild
-Iron Savior
-Sex Machineguns

i prefer Walls of Jericho to both Keepers albums

and Running Wild is particularly awesome, pirate metal ftw
i'd check out blackhand inn, death or glory, pile of skulls, and port royal, probably the 4 best running wild albums

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
-Eddman- said:

Both by Helloween

-Running Wild
-Iron Savior
-Sex Machineguns

US power metal kicks the shit of Euro flower metal. All the melody and soaring vocals with the balls to back them up. And riffs. European power metal doesn't have nearly enough riffs. (I'm looking at you, Stratovarius)

Examples:

Attacker - The Second Coming
Crescent Shield - The Last of My Kind
Enchanter - Defenders of the Realm
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Omen - Battle Cry
Twisted Tower Dire - Isle of Hydra

So here's a few favorites:

Opeth - Probably my favorite, they just write great music. Death Metal with some jazz influence courtesy of former drummer Martin Lopez and bassist Martin Mendez. I was disappointed with the most recent album, Watershed [as well as the fact that Peter and Martin Lopez left the band], but it had some alright moments, as well as Opeth's first blast-beats [The Lotus Eater] lol. I'd recommend Still Life, Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries. Great albums.

Between the Buried and Me - Yes, their songwriting skills can drag sometimes, but they're talented. Also, Dan Briggs has to be one of my favorite bassists along with Martin Mendez [see Opeth above XD ], and being a bassist myself, I really appreciate bands that have bassists that go above and beyond that of the cliche "holding a rythymn" like a lot of modern bands do. Death Metal with some really odd throw-ins [mainly on Colors]. All of their albums have great songs, I'd point out their newest, Colors, and probably The Silent Circus. Song recommendations: Ad a Dglgmut, Aspirations, All Bodies, Shevanel Take 2 [for some soft music fun lol], Sun of Nothing, Viridian [for bass enthusiasts, great solo], and of course Selkies: The Endless Obsession.

Protest the Hero - Alright, I absolutlely hated this band in the beginning. Their old albums were like thrashy punk, pretty boring. Kezia stepped it up, but was still a little sickening after a few listens. They found a great sound, though, with Fortress, their newest album. Not sure exactly what kind of metal, tbh. I'll let you know off-the-bat that this dude's singing is not for everyone, most people tend to hate it. But it fits the music rather well, and its done well. If you listen to the old albums and then listen to Fortress, you'll see how this band really stepped up to the metal scene. I'm sure I have satisfied at least three Canadians by mentioning them XD The guitars are fast-paced, and the bassist is great [taps a shitload for a bassist lol]. Songs: Bloodmeat, Sequoia Throne, Limb from Limb [awesome key solos, not sure whether it was a guest musician or one of the members], No Stars Over Bethlehem, Heretics and Killers.

Iron Maiden - Doubt I have to introduce the band to anybody, but they are really one of bands that got me into ANY kind of metal. Great guitars, crazy ass vocals [from Bruce] and even great vocals when they had Paul [first two albums, if i'm not mistaken], and of course, the bassist that is Steve Harris. Songs: Wrathchild, Remember Tomorrow, Where Eagles Dare, The Trooper, Aces High, Run to the Hills, Number of the Beast, Flight of Icarus, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Rainmaker [good song from the newer stuff]. Album: PIECE OF MIND. Get nao.

Alarum - This is a band my brother introduced me too. Find them on myspace, they're a great listen. Not sure exactly what to classify em as, mostly fast paced death metal. The albums is Eventuality, and a great song [which doubles as a metal porno song, i swear lol] is Remote Viewing.

SiKTh - Fucking amazing British technical/death/idkwtf metal, they are amazing. Great guitars, great bass, great drums and awesome vocalists [two people in the band were solely for vocals]. Their first album, The Trees Are All Dead and Dried Out Wait for Something Wild, has some hard-hitting songs, such as Pussyfoot, Wait for Something Wild and Hold My Finger. The opening track, (If You Weren't So) Perfect gives a pretty good display of the variety of voices the two pull off, and the next track, How May I Help You? shows off the craziness of the vocals, creating characters in the middle of the song with very unique voices for a quick conversation. Their follow-up album, Death of a Dead Day, is great technical metal, with tracks such as Flogging the Horses, Summer Rain and Sanguine Seas of Bigotry being the standouts. Sadly, this band recently broke up, but they are still definitely worth a listen.

And this is a bit of whoring, but Portraits of Murder, my brother's band, is pretty good metal IMHO. No, not cause hes my bro, but cause these guys write great music. They have an old song [Gas Chamber Hotbox, from an EP they recorded] and a somewhat rough version of a song called Body Farm Robbery, due out when they complete their album, up on their myspace, [www.myspace.com/portraitsofmurder]. Hopefully you like, and if you're in the NJ area, check out show dates, they're playing with PsyOpus soon.

Anyway, theres my few favorite bands. Hope someone enjoys. And don't hate Opeth. Embrace them :D

And just to make this clearer:

DRAGONFORCE IS FOREVER GARBAGE, AND YES, MUST BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS. WHEN THEY HAVE AT LEAST FIVE SONGS THAT ARE SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT, THEN WE'LL REVIEW AGAIN, BUT DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP :D

As a sidenote, they have God awful music videos. Whoever they let make them should be fired immediately.

Siyou

duffey said:
Actually if you dig CoF you might enjoy Chthonic. They were at Ozzfest a couple years back but they're pretty far from the usual dreck that ends up there (and to be honest, I have no idea how they even ended up at Ozzfest). Anyway, Seediq Bale would probably be the best album to start with from them as it's probably their best output to date.
holy fuck

Ceres

Banned
Just got back from seeing Helloween/Gamma Ray/Manticora.

Manticora and Gamma Ray were both awesome even though we missed most of Manticora set (damn you airlines for delaying my flight 3 hrs!). I generally can't listen to a band like Gamma Ray on CD but they are great live. A lot of fun.
Helloween on the other hand I didn't care for. Andi Deris's voice was very grating on my ears.
Oh well, Pathosray, Riverside, Elvenking, Andromeda, Iron Savior (likely my meal time) & Amorphis tomorrow. :)

Aske

SecretSphere said:

In addition to the ones others have mentioned, and excluding bands with near incomprehensible vocals, here are a few:

Enslaved (Norwegian) - Eld
Kampfar (Norwegian) - Mellom Skogkledde Aaser
Nokturnal Mortum (Ukrainian band singing in Russian) - NeChrist, Weltanschauung (available in both Russian and English)
Temnozor (Russian) - Horizons
Arkona (Russian) - Vo Slavu Velikim

-Eddman-

SecretSphere said:

Spanish:

-Avalanch (Sorry for the shitty AMV)
-Tierra Santa
-Luzbel
-Transmetal
-Rata Blanca
-Leprosy
-Angeles del Infierno
-Sargatanas
-Brujeria
-Asesino
-Mago de Oz (I personally hate them, but have a rather big fanbase in Spain and Latin America, and lol, this song is actually about teh intertubes)

I've yet to see any love for Impaled Nazarene and that makes me sad. Here you go, enjoy fuckers.

With that said thanks to gaf for showing me Electric Wizard. Fun shit, just got Dopethrone from emusic.

Fusebox

Banned
-Eddman- said:

I've been listening to Helloween for decades and you've listed ace albums but I also support Dragonforce, the DF sound is pure high-energy and the guys are all mad musicians. It's a shame they're such a popular band to rip on, they don't deserve the hate.

Fusebox said:
I've been listening to Helloween for decades and you've listed ace albums but I also support Dragonforce, the DF sound is pure high-energy and the guys are all mad musicians. It's a shame they're such a popular band to rip on, they don't deserve the hate.

except Dragonforce plays sloppy live and are a "studio effects" band

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom