• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ceres said:
I didn't go to Wednesday's show this year due to limited vacation days (going on my honeymoon in 6 weeks). I post on the PP forums though so I've seen a video and photos and can't say I'm disappointed I missed that particular set.

And I forgot to mention I really enjoyed Mustasch even though I hadn't liked what I'd heard beforehand.

What's your name on the PP forum? Mines the same but I rarely post.

yacobod

Banned
Giant Robot said:
Yacobod- This Torture Squad band is fucking awesome. Been listening to it nonstop

ya i just recently picked up that album, been spinning it at work quite a bit (much to the chagrin of the ppl in the cubes next to me :lol )

i think the release is almost too good to have gone so unnoticed, i never heard of them until a few weeks ago

edit:
apparantely they released a new album a few months ago called "Hellbound", its supposed to be a little thrashier than "Pandemonium", i will have to check it out, its supposed to be their first major label release, most reviews ive seen have been pretty positive, ill have to check out the torrents tonight

Ceres

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
What's your name on the PP forum? Mines the same but I rarely post.

I'll give you a hint. My avatar is a modified version of an image that gets used on Gaf a lot.

BioHazard

Someone recommend me some MOAR METAL. I really like bands like Judas Priest, Black Tide, Metallica, Blind Guardian, Sword, Priestess.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
BioHazard said:
Some one recommend me some MOAR METAL. I really like bands like Judas Priest, Blind Guardian, Sword, Priestess.
That's kind of vague right there, all of those bands fall in different genres (is Priestess even metal?) so what type are you looking for? And what other metal bands do you like, or is that just it?

BioHazard

NameGenerated said:
That's kind of vague right there, all of those bands fall in different genres (is Priestess even metal?) so what type are you looking for? And what other metal bands do you like, or is that just it?

Yeah I was thinking that it was kind of varied. Lets just say Judas Priest. If someone can give me some similar bands that would be great. I'm big Priest fan, which I'm sure is surprising.

BioHazard said:
Yeah I was thinking that it was kind of varied. Lets just say Judas Priest. If someone can give me some similar bands that would be great. I'm big Priest fan, which I'm sure is surprising.

ummm......Maiden?

yacobod

Banned
BioHazard said:

Iron Maiden, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Primal Fear, and Blind Guardian

you could check out Rob Halford's solo band Halford, try to download Live Insurrection, has most of the songs off his 1st solo album Resurrection + a lot of classic Judas Priest, a fucking great live album, might as well call it Unleashed in the East part 2

BioHazard said:
Someone recommend me some MOAR METAL. I really like bands like Judas Priest, Black Tide, Metallica, Blind Guardian, Sword, Priestess.
Not like Judas Priest but if you like the Sword and Metallica you really should try Black Sabbath. Classic but hey, not everyone knows them, as it seems.
Little taste of their discography:
Behind the Wall of Sleep 1970
The Wizard 1970
war pigs (obvious) 1970
Children of the grave 1971
Into the Void 1971
Under the Sun
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath 1973
Hole in the Sky 1975
Symptom of the Universe 1975
<3

They changed direction with Dio as the singer but still made great records. Could be your taste if you like more traditional metal like Judas Priest:
Heaven and Hell 1980
Neon Knights 1980
The Mob Rules 1981

And if you happen to like that try Rainbow (Richie Blackmore's Band after Deep Purple with Dio on Vocals. Great 70s hardrock/metal)
Tarot Woman 1976
Stargazer 1976
A light in the Black 1976

Also listen to the guys recommending Iron Maiden and Helloween.

Korranator

DieNgamers said:
Not like Judas Priest but if you like the Sword and Metallica you really should try Black Sabbath. Classic but hey, not everyone knows them, as it seems.
Little taste of their discography:
Behind the Wall of Sleep 1970
The Wizard 1970
war pigs (obvious) 1970
Children of the grave 1971
Into the Void 1971
Under the Sun
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath 1973
Hole in the Sky 1975
Symptom of the Universe 1975
<3

They changed direction with Dio as the singer but still made great records. Could be your taste if you like more traditional metal like Judas Priest:
Heaven and Hell 1980
Neon Knights 1980
The Mob Rules 1981

And if you happen to like that try Rainbow (Richie Blackmore's Band after Deep Purple with Dio on Vocals. Great 70s hardrock/metal)
Tarot Woman 1976
Stargazer 1976
A light in the Black 1976

Also listen to the guys recommending Iron Maiden and Helloween.

Not sure how you can mention all those Sabbath albums without mentioning Born Again, which one of their heavest and darkest albums. Featuring Ian Gillan on vocals from Deep Purple.

Disturbing the Priest 1983

Zero the Hero 1983

Korranator said:
Not sure how you can mention all those Sabbath albums without mentioning Born Again, which one of their heavest and darkest albums. Featuring Ian Gillan on vocals from Deep Purple.

Disturbing the Priest 1983

Zero the Hero 1983
I simply forgot :D
I even prefer the unmixed demo of zero to Hero:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=4B5VD2glBnc
Raw stuff ;) Still I'm one of those who prefer the original lineup. However, Born Again sometimes comes really close to the atmosphere of their old stuff.

Korranator

DieNgamers said:
I simply forgot :D
I even prefer the unmixed demo of zero to Hero:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=4B5VD2glBnc
Raw stuff ;) Still I'm one of those who prefer the original lineup. However, Born Again sometimes comes really close to the atmosphere of their old stuff.
Everyone prefers the original lineup, however Born Again ranks up there as well. It should be in every Sabbath fan's collection.

BioHazard

I've listened to all these bands you guys have recommend for me for years. :lol Oh well, I should have said. The only one that I haven't is Helloween. I'll definitely check them out.

Aske

Tael said:
Burzum, Darkthrone, Emperor, Enslaved, Immortal etc.

That's a pretty diverse range of bands, all of which have undergone profound evolutionary development since their conception. You have everything covered: raw, symphonic, extreme, and Viking/Heathen. Seems wisest to assume there's no BM subgenre or offshoot genre you don't like, so here are my suggestions:

Funeral Mist - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRi2dzf30AU
Graveland - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFz-Nan62MM
Walknut - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ZPuIRmR9E
Marduk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBtkyUAhr3A
Nokturnal Mortum - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubpkcwj9sRo&feature=related
Ad Hominem - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhd6QcoKX4c&feature=related
Belenos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqsWJ56_GVk
Nehema - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiwzwfDkwiw

Saw Alice Cooper, Damn that was great the best part was when Cooper put a spike through a baby's head and During a new song about Alice pleading to be elected Obama ans McCain came on stage and started fighting. They eventually started to make out until Cooper broke it up:lol They played Halo of flies which was magnificent! He's got some REALLY hot daughters too.

yacobod said:
havent been able to find a torrent of Torture Squad's new album yet

but finally got around to finding some clips on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HpiG_c-RdI "living for the kill"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6NVpH1WCnc&feature=related "the beast within"

the new songs sound thrashier than off their previous album pandemonium

highly recommend these guys, if you like thrash with some death metal influence you will like this band a lot

hell yes, I've been listening to Pandemonium nonstop ever since you made the suggestion.
Have you heard Hypnosia? They broke up a long time ago, but were destined to be one of the saviours of death/thrash back in early '00

yacobod

Banned
Giant Robot said:
hell yes, I've been listening to Pandemonium nonstop ever since you made the suggestion.
Have you heard Hypnosia? They broke up a long time ago, but were destined to be one of the saviours of death/thrash back in early '00

ok i checked out a few songs off Extreme Hatred, now this is some kick ass stuff

some how this slipped under my radar, released in 2000 you say, sounds more like something released between 1986-88

reminds me of old kreator circa pleasure to kill with a splash of darkness descends and maybe a touch of eternal nightmare, searching for a torrent as we speak

excellent death thrash, 100% riff fucking madness, sucks that they disbanded

yacobod said:
reminds me of old kreator circa pleasure to kill with a splash of darkness descends and maybe a touch of eternal nightmare, searching for a torrent as we speak

YES, thats how i used to described whenever i plugged them on my radio show, but also add a touch of Beneath The Remains. During that same time there was another band vying for the perfect death/thrash combo called Maze of Torment. Their album "Death Strikes" is what Hell Awaits would sound like if Dismember recorded it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Flynn, thanks for mentioning that Krallice record a few pages back. I finally got around to picking it up and it's fucking great. Until I actually had the CD in my hands, I had no idea that they're a super-group of sorts, featuring the amazing Mick Barr and some other guys from awesome bands.

Anyway, I'm totally pumped to see Black Cobra later this month, and Bloody Panda with Ocean (doom version from Maine, not the Metal Blade band) early next. Baroness (whom I'm not too fond of, but may be better live) are also touring with Coliseum soon, which has the potential to be decent.

Also, a recommendation of sorts: Fissure. They played a couple of shows with my friends' band earlier this year and blew me away; sort of post-rock, ambient-influenced doom. They recorded a full-length and broke up shortly thereafter, so they just put the whole thing up for download. Pretty good stuff.

Flynn

vatstep said:
Flynn, thanks for mentioning that Krallice record a few pages back. I finally got around to picking it up and it's fucking great. Until I actually had the CD in my hands, I had no idea that they're a super-group of sorts, featuring the amazing Mick Barr and some other guys from awesome bands.

Anyway, I'm totally pumped to see Black Cobra later this month, and Bloody Panda with Ocean (doom version from Maine, not the Metal Blade band) early next. Baroness (whom I'm not too fond of, but may be better live) are also touring with Coliseum soon, which has the potential to be decent.

Also, a recommendation of sorts: Fissure. They played a couple of shows with my friends' band earlier this year and blew me away; sort of post-rock, ambient-influenced doom. They recorded a full-length and broke up shortly thereafter, so they just put the whole thing up for download. Pretty good stuff.

I'm glad you dug Krallice. I have to thank Mishka's blog for turning me onto them.

I terribly bummed I missed the Sun 0))) show in LA this week. I'm up in SF and they didn't play here. :(

I need to get out to more metal shows. I'll check out Black Cobra and Fissure on your recommendation.

Flynn said:
I terribly bummed I missed the Sun 0))) show in LA this week. I'm up in SF and they didn't play here. :(

whoa, Sunn O))) are touring?
You gonna go see TORCHE @ Slim's November 3rd?
It'll be about my 5th time seeing them this year alone.

Flynn

Giant Robot said:

If you count six or seven dates (now all in the past) a tour. Brooklyn Vegan has pics of their 10th Anniversary show.

I'm home in Minneapolis now, so no Torche for me. Still haven't seen them. I didn't have the stamina to go to the second Boris show after Pitchfork.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Giant Robot said:

Man, I think Torche fucking skipped over Chicago altogether. And I moved out of Chicago. Either I drive 2.5-3 hours to Chicago or 1 hour to Iowa City for the incredibly few shows that play there.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Finally got around to picking up The Man Closing Up by Ehnahre, which I'd been looking forward to for a while. Definitely recommended — this is some heavy shit. They're being referred to as "ex-Kayo Dot" in reviews, but beyond that, there aren't many similarities between the two bands. There IS a bit of dissonant noise and ambience on the record, but the rest is absolutely brutal death metal with doom influences. There's nothing resembling traditional song structure here, so it's tough to digest, but it's been worth it so far.

Phobophile said:
Man, I think Torche fucking skipped over Chicago altogether. And I moved out of Chicago. Either I drive 2.5-3 hours to Chicago or 1 hour to Iowa City for the incredibly few shows that play there.

I'll be out in Chicago in a few weeks, but not certain on a date yet. Any live music clubs/bars/venues to check out? I'd like to see Bongripper, but they rarely have shows. I remember seeing some kind of "metal" restaraunt that had Mayhem nachos or some bullshit...

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Opeth concert. Saturday night. Fucking incredible.

6e0fec285e83.jpg

f9a5587ae95d.jpg

67daec4cdaf8.jpg

Mikael Åkerfeldt = god.

soakrates

NameGenerated said:
Opeth concert. Saturday night. Fucking incredible.

Mikael Åkerfeldt = god.
They were awesome when I saw them in SF earlier this month. Second time seeing them and the place was PACKED. The Grand Ballroom is one of the best venues I've ever been to.

Also, you all must know that Hammers of Misfortune released this pair of albums recently, and both are incredible:

2821990785_44ab4f68dc.jpg

"Fields"

2821991641_75cf65e455.jpg

"Church of Broken Glass"

Not to be missed if you enjoy DIY metal and prog in the vein of the NWOBHM and proto-metal bands like Thin Lizzy, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull, etc.

Don't think you'll be getting retreads of those bands, however. If I had to come up with a way to describe them, I'd say take those bands and imagine what might happen if they wrote a really dark Broadway musical. HoM are really one of a kind, and all of their albums are fantastic.

Hit up their myspace for a few samples.

currently listening to One Man Army and the Undead Quartet. I'm not sure if im liking it or not. Hearing Johan Lindstrand, formerly of The Crown, in the band caught my interest. It's a little too "Gothenburg" sounding for me, but are similarities of The Crown in it thats sort of holding it for me.

ONEMANAAMRY_GRIMTALES.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/onemanarmyandtheundeadquartet

oh yeah and i saw TORCHE play in SF a few days ago, with the most perfect setlist:

She's So Heavy (Beatles cover)
In Return
Grenades
Pirana
Rule The Beast
Healer
Across The Shields
Vampyro
Rockit
Little Champion
Safe
Mentor
Iron Girl (FLOOR cover!!!)
Charge Of The Brown Recluse
Tarpit Carnivore

1103082151-1.jpg

1103082209a-1.jpg

1103082206a-1.jpg

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
soakrates said:
They were awesome when I saw them in SF earlier this month. Second time seeing them and the place was PACKED. The Grand Ballroom is one of the best venues I've ever been to.

Also, you all must know that Hammers of Misfortune released this pair of albums recently, and both are incredible:

"Fields"

"Church of Broken Glass"

Not to be missed if you enjoy DIY metal and prog in the vein of the NWOBHM and proto-metal bands like Thin Lizzy, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull, etc.

Don't think you'll be getting retreads of those bands, however. If I had to come up with a way to describe them, I'd say take those bands and imagine what might happen if they wrote a really dark Broadway musical. HoM are really one of a kind, and all of their albums are fantastic.

Hit up their myspace for a few samples.

I really wish they'd go back toward the style they had on The Bastard and The August Engine. Their post-Scalzi efforts have almost been a bit too ostentatious for my tastes.

I really wonder what happened between Scalzi and Cobbett. Slough Feg hasn't been the same without Cobbett just as HoM hasn't without Scalzi.

vatstep

I can't believe that I'm only just now discovering Obscura by Gorguts. This album is fucking unbelievable.

Flynn

Picked up the Weakling record "Dead as Dreams" today at Aquarius records:

DeadAsDreams.jpg

The song "This Entire Battlefield" is pretty sweet.

Any other suggestions in the Krallice/Weakling/Nachtmystium/Wolves in the Throne Room vein?

Mandewd

Neo Member
Some of the bands my Finnish friend turned me on to

Stratovarius-Visions1997.jpg

Stratovarius

epica.jpg

Epica

fallen_empire_cover_400.jpg

Altaria

kamelot-blackhalo.jpg

Kamelot

sirenia2004.jpg

Sirenia

sonata3946037hh.jpg

Sonata Arctica

...and say what you will about Nightwish, but I love them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom