• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yacobod

Banned
OK, due to this thread (I love you guys!) I recently got the new Kreator Album; Phantom AntiChrist. Needless to say, My impression is very recent so I need more time with it. However, so far its good. It hasn't blown my mind, but some of the guitar play is really great and I really like the vocals. The only problem with it si that it feels that its at high tempo all the time and does not let up or take some steam. That is why I found the song Your Heaven My Hell to be my favourite because it have some Melodeath attributes that sets it apart and the guitar solo is freaking amazing.

the last Kreator album i bought was Enemy of God, which as pretty crappy and reaked of melodeath.

so if my favorite Kreator stuff is Pleasure to Kill, Coma of Souls, and Terrible Certainty, how much will i like this?

I'm loving this Maiden talk. I only got into them about... six months ago?... and they immediately became one of my favorite bands. I have pit tickets for their July 5th show in Chicago. So unbelievably stoked. I just wish they had an opener that was better than Alice Cooper, but I've never seen him before either so it will be cool just for the novelty factor

From all the live videos I've seen it seems like they go all out for their performances

ya i'm probably going to end up going to Tinley Park for the concert, I've seen maiden live 4 times, but they always put on a great show, and since the setlist is Maiden England, we know it will be quality. the best concert I've ever been to was when maiden was touring in 2008 doing the somewhere back in time tour.

faridmon

the last Kreator album i bought was Enemy of God, which as pretty crappy and reaked of melodeath.

so if my favorite Kreator stuff is Pleasure to Kill, Coma of Souls, and Terrible Certainty, how much will i like this?

Sorry mate. It is my first Kreator Album and I got it because of this thread. Are the other Album really good as well? I might as well invest in this band.

You're lucky. The other day I pulled out Kreator's "Renewal" album for the hell of it and I've been wanting to stab my ears out.

The most monotone shit ever...and most of the album is like this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAFqb_sbHg0#t=1m45ms

Wow, that is something...

Sorry mate. It is my first Kreator Album and I got it because of this thread. Are the other Album really good as well? I might as well invest in this band.
Early Kreator is SO DAMN GOOD. Terrible Certainty, Pleasure to Kill, and of course my personal favorite, Coma of Souls. Doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't check some of these out

Quikies83

That's fucking terrible!! These guys just can't get a break -- the whole Boston thing was crazy. I caught these guys on their first US tour back in 2009 with BTBAM and Veil of Maya (Not metal Not Metal:: i know, stfu). I got to meet and hang out with Tosin and he was just super friendly and modest.. Really enjoyed the show and enjoyed meeting them.

I hope they're able to recover at least some of the equipment - he had some great custom guitars.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
That's fucking terrible!! These guys just can't get a break -- the whole Boston thing was crazy. I caught these guys on their first US tour back in 2009 with BTBAM and Veil of Maya (Not metal Not Metal:: i know, stfu). I got to meet and hang out with Tosin and he was just super friendly and modest.. Really enjoyed the show and enjoyed meeting them.

I hope they're able to recover at least some of the equipment - he had some great custom guitars.

totally not metal bro.

Full stream of the new Ihsahn album "Eremita" here: http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds#/11

I'm about half way through so far, it's kinda early to pass judgement but I really like it so far, it could possibly replace AngL as my favorite solo album of his. The saxophone is a lot more tasteful than in After, the riffs are awesome as always, and his clean voice has never been better.

Edit: It's also on Spotify, but this aol thing has no ads between songs...pretty nice for bums like me who have the free version of spotify!

Nopren

A new Killswitch Engage song has apparently leaked: New KxE song

Judging by Warners attempts to remove the song from the interwebz, it sure seems real.
Not really that impressed by it, but Jesse Leach sounds pretty good, and it's probably just a demo so we might get a little bit more oomph in the final product.

Blackheim

So "new" Mantas album on stream: http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=81712

I don't get this album. It's seems like a bad Scream Bloody Gore recorded in a garage or somethin.

That's basically what it is heh. Demos from Mantas before the name change to Death. I'm not that hardcore of a Death/Chuck fan so, I'll be passing on that release.

Edit: Heard the new Katatonia song 'Dead Letters'. Meh, I guess I'm officially done with those guys. Once they move beyond their current sound (Viva Emptiness 'til now), I'll check back in on them. Fans of that sound will undoubtedly like the new album as it seems more of the same. Personally, I'm over it.

Oh, seems Geoff Tate is out of Queensryche and I guess that Todd La Torre fella will be taking over instead of the Rising West band sticking around, I guess? *shrug*

Kaladin

I just got my copy of Panopticon's Kentucky on LP. I can't wait to give this thing a spin later....bluegrass and black metal!

Melchiah

Never really been a fan of Swedish death metal myself. Too melodic for me, and don't like the vocal style that goes with it either. I'm more of a Carcass(old)/Xysma/Demilich/Autopsy/Deicide/Pungent Stench kinda guy.

Never really been a fan of Swedish death metal myself. Too melodic for me, and don't like the vocal style that goes with it either. I'm more of a Carcass(old)/Xysma/Demilich/Autopsy/Deicide/Pungent Stench kinda guy.

Are you referring to the Gothenburg bands? That stuff was way more melodic than the Stockholm stuff i.e. In Flames, Dark Tranquility, At The Gates, Soilwork, Meshuggah etc.

Totally different from the Stockholm bands that have that crazy buzz saw sound. i.e. Entombed, Dismember, Carnage, Grave, Unleashed etc.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Left Hand Path is essential for any death metal fan. Clandestine is really good too.
Also, you need the Nihilist discography comp.

its good but not THAT good...if you've said grave- into the grave (another essential death metal album), I'd say yeah as well as entombed's clandestine...love it.

ShaneB

For the recent Maiden discussion, new tour is underway, and this was posted...

"The full set list at Charlotte was: Moonchild, Can I Play With Madness, The Prisoner, 2 Minutes To Midnight, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, The Trooper, The Number Of The Beast, Phantom Of The Opera, Run To The Hills, Wasted Years, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, Clairvoyant, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden, Aces High, The Evil That Men Do, Running Free."

God damn I wish I was going, darn friend having to get married the same weekend!
KuGsj.gif

For the recent Maiden discussion, new tour is underway, and this was posted...

"The full set list at Charlotte was: Moonchild, Can I Play With Madness, The Prisoner, 2 Minutes To Midnight, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, The Trooper, The Number Of The Beast, Phantom Of The Opera, Run To The Hills, Wasted Years, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, Clairvoyant, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden, Aces High, The Evil That Men Do, Running Free."

Hnnnngggg. Friday can't come soon enough. Holy fuck is that a setlist for the ages.

Blackheim

Random thoughts for the day:

Control and Resistance by Watchtower is getting a remastered release next month.
You can d/l a digital compilation from here with a song from it and a bunch of other good songs.

Was also on Slough Feg's site today checkin' out their merch and saw this plate with the Vargr from the Traveller album cover on it. I kinda want >_>

flUWV.png

Blackheim

<3

I actually like the original recording with the weird drum tom sounds and all.

Haha, I can't even remember what it sounded like. I had the Noise Records (I think that was who originally put it out) cassette forever ago and know that I will be getting the remaster when it comes out :D

Have you heard Crematory? They actually sound more Finnish than Swedish. Try to find the Denial discography comp.
Unconsecrated Ground
The Exordium
its good but not THAT good...if you've said grave- into the grave (another essential death metal album), I'd say yeah as well as entombed's clandestine...love it.

I prefer Left Hand Path but both of those are great too.

Greg

anyone listen to the new gojira yet?
Yeah, I'm really enjoying it, and it might be my favorite release from them despite it being their most straightforward.

It's easily their most well-produced album, the rhythm and groove is still there, the drums are on another level, and the vocals seal the deal with how emotive they are.

I could definitely see it being a disappointment for fans of their more progressive side, but it's incredible for what it is.

Blackheim

edit: have necrophagist released anything new?

This is what I found:

Legendary gore metal pioneers NECROPHAGIA have announced that the band's upcoming release, "WhiteWorm Cathedral", will feature the return of Mirai Kawashima (SIGH) on keyboards/synthesizer. Both NECROPHAGIA mainman Frank "Killjoy" Pucci and Mirai have stated that really miss working together. According to NECROPHAGIA, "The keyboards will be Mirai's most horrific and chilling yet!"

"WhiteWorm Cathedral" will tentatively be released this Halloween.

March Of The DeathCorps(e) demo version

Gospel of Gore DVD teaser

Oops nevermind, wrong band. Got Necrophagia and Necrophagist mixed up :/

faridmon

I think I maybe the only one who can not get into Gojira. My friend is swearing by the band, but the more I listen to them (on youtube) the more I despise them. They radiate certain Nu-metal vibe from what I can interprit.

Greg

I think I maybe the only one who can not get into Gojira. My friend is swearing by the band, but the more I listen to them (on youtube) the more I despise them. They radiate certain Nu-metal vibe from what I can interprit.
They have a pretty unique sound that might not appeal to you, but I don't see any nu-metal comparisons.

Do you dislike Meshuggah by chance? Maybe the whole focus on rhythm just isn't your thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom