• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Hey, metalgaf what are the five best albums so far this year ?
I'm ashamed to say I've been kinda out of the loop.

High On Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis
Royal Thunder - CVI
Rush - Clockwork Angels
Corrosion of Conformity - Corrosion of Conformity
Municipal Waste - The Fatal Feast

Well some of my favorites are iron maiden, 3 inches of blood, sigh, and therion.

You know there's a new Sigh album out? Also you should look into the new Diablo Swing Orchestra

I've been listening to the new Diablo Swing Orchestra. A delightful mix of symphonic/prog/avant-garde metal with swing as usual. It seems they toned down the opera vocals on this album compared to the other two. Give them a listen!
o3691135ovud6.jpg

Guerilla Laments
Voodoo Mon Amour
/url]

Some more I like of this year

Christian Mistress - Possesion
(heavy metal with female vocals)
Mgla - With Hearts Towards None (black metal)
Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht (BM)
Ne Obliviscaris - Portal Of I

The new Ihsahn will probably be good as usual, check it out if you like prog with a black touch

brinstar

Yeah, Necroticsim is great. Need to buy it again, one of the many albums I've managed to lose due to a ton of moving :/ I did get to see them on their 1994 tour (Life of Agony opening along with Monster Voodoo Machine and Seducer), Carlo Regadas was on guitar then. I do have pictures from that show somewhere...

ah man, that's awesome. I'm a fiend for all the late 80s/early 90s UK grind/death metal bands that were popping up at that time, but I was too young to ever have seen them in their prime. I even missed Carcass' 2008 reunion tour as that was before I had realized how incredible they were .__.

DieNgamers said:
Some of the best is yet to come (new DOWN, Cathedral :O )

wow, a fellow Cathedral fan? this thread rules. Another incredible band that I'm bummed I never got to see and now they've broken up...

Some of my favorites from this year include:

Ihsahn-Emerita
Orange Goblin-A Eulogy for the Damned
Pallbearer-Sorrow and Extinction
Ne Obliviscaris - Portal Of I
High on Fire-De Vermis Mysteriis
Panopticon-Kentucky

And if you include EP's, Agalloch's new EP Faustian Echoes is easily my favorite song of the year thus far, still gotta check out the new Deathspell Omega too.

Blackheim

ah man, that's awesome. I'm a fiend for all the late 80s/early 90s UK grind/death metal bands that were popping up at that time, but I was too young to ever have seen them in their prime. I even missed Carcass' 2008 reunion tour as that was before I had realized how incredible they were .__.

wow, a fellow Cathedral fan? this thread rules. Another incredible band that I'm bummed I never got to see and now they've broken up...

I'll scan & post some pictures later on then, maybe tomorrow. I'm at work right now :/

And yeah, I dig Cathedral too :p Well, up until around and including Caravan beyond Redemption >_>

Any Carcass fans around? I've been into their stuff over the years (and pretty much anything with Bill Steer in it) but man recently I've been obsessed with the Necroticism album. I know Heartwork's the fan favorite these days and I think that album is also incredible but something about the riffs on Necroticism...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaOjq-CoUAc&feature=share

Here's them playing Lavaging Expectorate and Exhume to Consume live. Ugh man if only I was born a decade earlier :(

When I was doing radio for a few years, I based my show name and On-Air name after Carcass stuff.

Glimpse of Carcass related stuff I owned.
UGgNk.jpg

Have a bunch of shirts, tour memorabilia, promos, cassettes, etc too.

Enosh

anyone knows any bands similar to Red Fang?
apparently it falls under stoner meta, never really looked into that genre so no idea where to start

Blackheim

Alright, Carcass pictures from 1994. Picture quality ranges from crap to OK. I used a disposable camera for these and it was dark more often than not, also a crowd at a Death Metal show tends to be rambunctious so ... yeah.

A friend, Jeff Walker, myself:
jbeLjh3FPczfEz.jpg

Jeff Walker during the show:
ib1Oq6zKvYP2th.jpg

Carlo Regadas during the show:
ibjn0mDDzQumxG.jpg

Alan Robert & Joey Z from Life of Agony and Ken Owen:
ibajkOoOu4CJKa.jpg

Me, Carlo Regadas and 2 friends:
iqVIkaVmoSiLo.jpg

Me, Bill Steer and same 2 friends:
ibcpfIBMZzLlLG.jpg

Bill Steer doing sound check:
iXYGSwNp5IJFt.jpg

Jeff and Bill behind the dude in Immolation shirt heh:
ibf2BozEFHyWTO.jpg

Carlo on stage:
ibjVgPF9Mkp2p7.jpg

Jeff on stage behind another dude's head:
ijFc4hSflB1nV.jpg

So, there ya go, craptastic 18 year old pictures of Carcass :p

Melchiah

Alright, Carcass pictures from 1994. Picture quality ranges from crap to OK. I used a disposable camera for these and it was dark more often than not, also a crowd at a Death Metal show tends to be rambunctious so ... yeah.

Cool to see pics from that era. I have two of their 1991 gigs on VHS, sadly I have no means to transfer them to PC.

Blackheim

Cool to see pics from that era. I have two of their 1991 gigs on VHS, sadly I have no means to transfer them to PC.

'91, I bet that stuff is raw haha! I know there is a dongle or PCI card you can buy that could aid in that :D Don't know what those run in price though.

Melchiah

'91, I bet that stuff is raw haha! I know there is a dongle or PCI card you can buy that could aid in that :D Don't know what those run in price though.

Perhaps I'll look into how much they cost, as I've got a lot of ther gigs from that era that I'd like to transfer to PC. The PCI card is out of question though, as I've got only a laptop.

Jharp

Holy shit thanks for posting that Iron Maiden setlist ShaneB! Seeing them on August 10th in Irvine, CA, and man that setlist is balls to the wall awesome.

This'll be my sixth time seeing the greatest band of all time and I'm pumped as fuck. Only thing that bums me a bit is that my favorite Maiden song is Infinite Dreams, and between the five times I've seen them since 2006, they've never once played it, and I had high hopes to see it on tour this time, but that doesn't look to be the case. I'd still hold out hope if I didn't know the band so well that I know they hold pretty steady to a single setlist for a leg of their tour. I really can't complain though because man that setlist is awesome, and in all fairness I've seen them play Rime of the Ancient Mariner not once, not twice, but three motherfucking times, so that really alone makes up for it.

Also, my first Maiden show was the A Matter of Life and Death tour, and fuck every single one of the haters because that album was fantastic, and seeing it played in its entirety live will stand as one of the greatest days of my life. Just knowing they'll never play half of those songs for the rest of their career and I got to see them. For the Greater Good of God, Lord of Light, and The Legacy are among Maiden's best songs. In any case, I'm pretty hopeful that I'll get to see Infinite Dreams live one day, and I'm content with that hope. This setlist is pretty fantastic regardless.

hah, Carlo Regadas....the guitarist that everyone forgot in the depths of hell along with John Hand from Death.

How were they in person for that tour? I've read a lot how they were completely uninterested during that entire Swansong recording/touring.

Tess3ract

Banned
I love melo death when there isn't any lyrics. I find melo death lyrics are just boring and a pain to listen to. That album is pretty good.

Blackheim

hah, Carlo Regadas....the guitarist that everyone forgot in the depths of hell along with John Hand from Death.

How were they in person for that tour? I've read a lot how they were completely uninterested during that entire Swansong recording/touring.

Yeah, people forget about poor Carlo and tend to only remember Amott and Hickey :p

Well, from what I remember Carlo was actually super cool and didn't mind hanging out, bullshitting about whatever. The other guys were more aloof, pleasant enough, but much more of a doing the business thing. Understandable and they still took time to shake hands/take pictures, so no complaints. I don't know that I'd day they were disinterested when I saw them, possibly though. As I said, they seemed more about getting the show ready and done, close to a going through the motions vibe I guess *shrug*. All in all, a good time from what I do remember of it.

brinstar

When I was doing radio for a few years, I based my show name and On-Air name after Carcass stuff.

Glimpse of Carcass related stuff I owned.

Have a bunch of shirts, tour memorabilia, promos, cassettes, etc too.

Blackheim said:

Man awesome, awesome stuff dudes. I actually just came across that reissue of Reek of Putrefaction yesterday. Now I gotta get the rest of the reissues for the DVD documentaries haha.

...I wonder what ever happened to Sanjiv

Man awesome, awesome stuff dudes. I actually just came across that reissue of Reek of Putrefaction yesterday. Now I gotta get the rest of the reissues for the DVD documentaries haha.

...I wonder what ever happened to Sanjiv

Sanjiv was a mythical figure...

Blackheim: You and George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher have the best necks in death metal.

QFzcZ.jpg

Archon473

Anyone in the York, PA area should come to The Depot on July 13th. Not for Bunsen Burner or even for Skeletonwitch, but for Warhawk. The bar owner has no clue how to put together a metal show and despite knowing the members of the band personally for years, threw Warhawk from playing third into the opening slot (despite a Warhawk member organizing the show and booking Skeletonwitch in the first place) and having some Black Sabbath cover band play before the two touring bands. Since I know the band members and used to live a block from the bar, my friends and I are going there to see Warhawk open and then getting fucked up and raising hell at the place. Should be a hoot and holler!

Listen to "Projected Aggression" off Warhawk's debut album here, then come to The Depot to make noise and drink beer.

527678_399068916802247_1386166652_n.jpg

ShaneB

Well I guess I had my dates all screwed up, I am seeing Iron Maiden next week!

This weekend I'm flying out of town to my friends wedding. and next weekend is Maiden on Friday. My wallet is going to be hurting :(

ShaneB

Maiden is such a fun show. You will have a great time.

Yeah, I've seen them live a few times already, always a blast. Can't wait, and I'm drooling over that setlist. Phantom of the Opera is one of my favourite songs, and Afraid to Shoot Strangers is so underrated, I love that track, so to see it live will be great.

Melchiah

As I remember there being a couple of GAFfers, who were interested in my band Enochian Crescent, I might as well post these announcements here.

The journey of seventeen years has come to its end. Enochian Crescent in its current form ceases to exist. Certain long-lived differences became too much of a burden, and we decided to part our ways about a month ago.

I will continue to spread the gospel of scissors with Black Dawn (when we find a rehearsal place) and possibly some other projects, and the rest of the Omega Korps will continue under a different name with Viktor creating the musical magick he's known for. There's no ill will involved, I wish those grim old men the best in their future endeavors. The album recordings will continue despite of the departure. I recorded my last shrieks for the song Tuhkaa (Ashes) last week, which was a fitting way to end it all. The Omega branding on our last performance proved out to be a proper finale for this long story of ours.

There's a sense of sadness, when something that has lasted for nearly two decades ends, but there's also a feeling of great anticipation for what foul things may lie in the dark corners of tomorrow.

- Wrath

“Not every end is the goal. The end of a melody is not its goal, and yet if a melody has not reached its end, it has not reached its goal.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

“All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.” - Anatole France

After all the twists and turns, ups and downs that we have lived through as years rolled by I never thought that there would be a day when Wrath and I put our musical partnership to a shelf. The decision was a moment of both great sadness and great relief. However, this was something that had to be done at this stage to ensure the continued productive musical careers of both parties. I can assure you all that both Wrath with Black Dawn and I with the remaining members of Enochian Crescent shall outpour new music with newfound vigour and intensity.

When we founded Enochian Crescent in 1995, Wrath and I made a pact that should either quit the band we would put the name to rest also. As a man of my words I shall honour this agreement. The remaining members (Bolton - drums, Tunturituuli - bass, Vilhelm - guitar, and Viktor - guitar, vocals) shall continue the musical legacy of Enochian Crescent and you will be hearing songs from the old albums in the live-set. We are recruiting a new lead vocalist, whose name shall be announced in the future, to complete the band and to finish up the new full-length album. The already booked festival gigs shall be played under the name Enochian Crescent alongside with other contractual responsibilities.

The remaining band members want to wish Wrath all the best in the future and I personally want to thank my long standing Omega Comrade and friend for all these years. He is a man with unique vocal talent and personality to match in this world of mediocrity.

The new album is already recorded music wise and we shall bellow in the rest of the vocals in late August or early September, so you can expect a late 2012 or early 2013 release through Spinefarm Records. The new material pushes the borders of Enochian Crescent's musical realm further in every direction and to be honest I just cannot get enough of the new songs.

Even though these news might shock and upset some, worry not; it was all for the best. And you may (if you will) enjoy both the voice of Wrath and the music of Enochian Crescent in near future.

In LVX et NOX

Viktor / Enochian Crescent

That's terrible news to wake up to. Well now I'm kicking myself for not going to that Turku gig.

Still very much looking forward to this upcoming album though. And any further musical endeavors from you Wrath.

Melchiah

That's terrible news to wake up to. Well now I'm kicking myself for not going to that Turku gig.

Still very much looking forward to this upcoming album though. And any further musical endeavors from you Wrath.

Eventhough I'm not continuing with the band, I think there's a great material on the upcoming album. It'll be interesting to follow from the outside what comes further ahead. In many ways it feels like ending a long-term relationship, but nothing lasts forever. As an appropriate coincidence, the beginning and the end landed almost on the same date. A devilish symmetry, perhaps.

When we find a rehearsal place, we'll get things moving with BD, and the old school goregrind project I mentioned here some time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom