• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

This album is fantastic.

AjDjE.jpg

RDreamer

I might totally take you up on that offer, as I completely blow at photoshop. Actually I'm not the greatest writer either, but it will be a learning experience.

I'm a graphic designer and writer, and I'd love to work on a metal site. I don't have much experience with reviews and stuff like that. I mostly write in fiction, though I do write press releases and copy for my job. It's something I'd love to hone a skill in, though.

I'd probably get more into the progressive metal side of reviews and stuff, but I'm open to talking about and writing about pretty much anything. Hit me up!

Enosh

The thread had a surprisingly somber and mature conversation about whether metalcore belonged in this thread a few pages back.
went and looked that up out of curiosity, seems like I missed it when it was actualy posted but this line was interesting to me:
Thus, the majority of the metal community have deemed metalcore separate from metal, as demonstrated in the apparently despised Metal-Archives, and metal communities around the world
but there are plenty of metalcore bands on MA, even those with just the tag metalcore, he kinda addresses this by saying
Yeah, if they lean more towards metal than hardcore, they're considered metal.
but that is against his original point of metalcore never being metal since the community said so, so metalcore isn't metal but it is metal if it is more metal than core :p

just found it kinda interesting that's all, just goes to shows that imo the metal community itself doesn't know what the fuck to do with metalcore and where to place it ^^

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Metalcore is on its own boat along with christcore bands.

anyways, it seems a lot of people here are quick as hell giving new albums "The best shit they ever heard" or "AOTY!!" tags.
:lol

I personally don't like metalcore. Upon visiting this thread I was honestly disappointed by the amount of discussion it garnered over uhh "kvlt" metal. I do wish more discussion would take place over more death/black/mixed genre bands though.

That being said it's absurd to think that it's not within the same realm as other forms of metal. True, the kvlt guys are gonna take a dump on it (as I have in the past on other forums) but bleh.

Finland's doom/death-lords HOODED MENACE have completed work on their devastating, down-tuned masterpiece 'Effigies of Evil'! Marking their first release for Relapse Records, 'Effigies of Evil' will be unleashed upon the masses on September 11th in CD, 2xLP and digital editions including a special deluxe edition vinyl release, which comes with a limited edition 7" featuring covers by Witchfinder General and Eternal Darkness.

xpDwz.jpg

Oh, man. The Curse of Feanor live would be so fucking amazing. I'm a funny one with BG. I couldn't care less for their early, more speed metal days; IFTOS through to ANATO I adore - NIME being the best of the three; and I haaaaate what they've become, in a nutshell.

Melchiah

There's an interesting happening tomorrow here in Helsinki, at Club PRKL.

Trashdisco - 80's & 90's pop hits vs. metal.

Venom vs. Scooter
Slayer vs. Haddaway
Dio vs. Snap
Morbid Angel vs. Ace Of Base
Cannibal Corpse vs. Queen

Sounds like something that just have to be experienced. =D

Verano

Anybody heard the new Gojira and thoughts?

yes. its alright. Personally, there's few good tracks such as Liquid Fire, Born In Winter, The Fall but the rest of the album doesn't match its quality as those songs. It leaves much to be desired overall.

So far Kreator's Phantom Antichrist has been one of the AOTY's for me. Im eagerly awaiting Testament's Dark Roots of Earth. Heard a few tracks and so far so good. Should be in my top 5 of 2012.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I personally don't like metalcore. Upon visiting this thread I was honestly disappointed by the amount of discussion it garnered over uhh "kvlt" metal. I do wish more discussion would take place over more death/black/mixed genre bands though.

That being said it's absurd to think that it's not within the same realm as other forms of metal. True, the kvlt guys are gonna take a dump on it (as I have in the past on other forums) but bleh.

It's because it's goddamned boring. It was decent over 10 years ago, back when they actually used either melo-death or thrash metal as their "base metal" but now they've all either become incredibly watered down or they've upped it to deathcore, which is all the same goddamned shit (how can we out finger tap Necrophagist and add more leads than riffs).

Greg

There's a lull in new music for me right now. The new Nile was disappointing compared to their other releases, and the new Miseration was an all-around disappointment. Testament and Zonaria come out at the end of the month, and then there's not another release I'm looking forward to until Katatonia at the end of next month.

It's because it's goddamned boring. It was decent over 10 years ago, back when they actually used either melo-death or thrash metal as their "base metal" but now they've all either become incredibly watered down or they've upped it to deathcore, which is all the same goddamned shit (how can we out finger tap Necrophagist and add more leads than riffs).
The same can be said about every style of music depending on the sample size you're basing it off of - especially if you're using popularity as the guide. There are plenty of metalcore bands with heavy influences from across the metal spectrum.

Verano

There's a lull in new music for me right now. The new Nile was disappointing compared to their other releases, and the new Miseration was an all-around disappointment. Testament and Zonaria come out at the end of the month, and then there's not another release I'm looking forward to until Katatonia at the end of next month.

same here. there's a lot of known bands that released new shit this year thats "supposed to be good and what not" ends up being mostly shit.

Can't wait for Dark Roots of Roots tho. Haven't heard Zonaria tho..I know who they are but haven't listened to their musecks. gonna do so now.. :O

lame doom metal.

same here. there's a lot of known bands that released new shit this year thats "supposed to be good and what not" ends up being mostly shit.

Can't wait for Dark Roots of Roots tho. Haven't heard Zonaria tho..I know who they are but haven't listened to their musecks. gonna do so now.. :O

lame doom metal.
Vitus is classic man

Greg

lame doom metal.
Yeah, every year I'm disappointed with about half of all releases I was looking forward to (based on the standards I hold them to from previous releases I loved). It gives me time to discover new bands, but it's also disappointing knowing how many bands I overlook by just basing them off a specific release.

And yeah, I hadn't heard anything from Zonaria in a long time. Their last release was in 2008, and it caught my eye when I was scanning a release calendar for the year before I made my post. Checked out some new tracks on their facebook, and it definitely shows some promise.

I knew I liked you.
Yeah man, I listened to Colors on the way to work today and I was pretty much just sitting in my car smiling the whole way in. Turns out that's a pretty great way to start a day.

beyond_death said:
Anybody heard the new Gojira and thoughts?
I decided to give this one a listen when I saw you guys talking about it and I think it sounds pretty good. Early favorites for me are Liquid Fire and The Gift of Guilt. I haven't listened to these guys much but so far I think they're at their best when they are playing on the death metal side of things.

Phobophile said:
I do believe the overall quality of metalcore has gone downhill lately (mostly because I prefer the metal part to the hardcore part, and nowadays the focus seems to be more on the latter) but I think you're oversimplifying things. Like Greg said, metalcore is a pretty broad genre.

yacobod

Banned
finally got around to listening to yellow/green, first impression is that it's pretty solid. i enjoyed it quite a bit while sipping some oaked arrogant bastard. i don't think it's that big of a departure from blue, i never felt like baroness was like a full blown metal band at any rate.

good music, the hell with labels.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
finally got around to listening to yellow/green, first impression is that it's pretty solid. i enjoyed it quite a bit while sipping some oaked arrogant bastard. i don't think it's that big of a departure from blue, i never felt like baroness was like a full blown metal band at any rate.

good music, the hell with labels.

I agree friend. It gets better after a few spins.

Verano

Anyone have a take on the latest Be'Lakor album?

Its my 1st time listening to these guys and Im impressed how jizz-tastic it is. I guess the only drawback I can come up with so far is that some songs are so lengthy like Opeth. And speaking of Opeth, the singer sounds almost like Akerfeldt. So yah, you wont be disappointed bro.

RDreamer

Its my 1st time listening to these guys and Im impressed how jizz-tastic it is. I guess the only drawback I can come up with so far is that some songs are so lengthy like Opeth. And speaking of Opeth, the singer sounds almost like Akerfeldt. So yah, you wont be disappointed bro.

I thought the singer sounded a lot closer to the guy from Dark Tranquility. Actually, as a whole this album and Be'lakor kind of reminds me of Dark Tranquility but with longer, more drawn out songs.

I liked the album for the most part. It has some really great parts in it, though it also has a few pretty generic sounding leads and solos. I also wish some of the acoustic interludes and some of those more interesting moments lasted longer than a few seconds. That's a missed opportunity, I think.

Saw ArnoCorps last night in London, at the Bull & Gate in Kentish town, and it was a fucking amazing show. I've been to hundreds of gigs since 1999, but this was without a doubt one of the best, and I'm not even a die-hard fan of ArnoCorps recorded material. They had so much energy, and the crowd was so fucking in to it, you couldn't help but be charmed, and all the ArnoCorps guys were super awesome, hanging out with fans and signing stuff before and after the show. During the gig, I've never seen so many crowd surfers in my life. They'd get on stage, and the singer would pick them up and gorilla press them back into the crowd. More than a few dudes got dumped on the back of their head, but no one seemed seriously hurt, lol. At one point, the singer crowd surfed all around the tiny shoe-box of a venue while standing on a guitar case! They played pretty much every track from the album and the ballsy EP, plus two new tracks (which were on sale for £2 at the merch table). The encore was epic, with Commando, then my favourite ArnoCorps track; Crom (Strong on His Mountain), and finally, Last Action Hero. Fucking amazing show, great little venue, and I wouldn't hesitate to go see them again next time they're over. Here's some photos (quoted for size);

looks like someone went to an arnocorps gig and felt The Pump :D

Haha, that's an understatement, my neck and arms feel absolutely knackered. There's clearly only one word to describe an ArnoCorps gig; BALLSY!!!

What gigs does everyone else have lined up for the rest of the year?

I've got Kvelertak next month, Torche in September, Down in October, Godspeed You! Black Emperor at the start of November, Monster Magnet on the Spine of God 20th Anniversary tour at the end of November, and Katatonia with Alcest in December. Fuck yes.

RDreamer

No one told me how awesome Sigh was. You should all be ashamed!

Ok, so plenty of people did, and I had seen them recommended dozens and dozens of times over the years... I suck

Also, in case anyone else wants, The Omega Order is having a nice $5 sale with a lot of good stuff. I picked up 2 sigh albums, Imaginary Sonicscape and Gallows Gallery, and an Ulver one.

Saw ArnoCorps last night in London, at the Bull & Gate in Kentish town, and it was a fucking amazing show. I've been to hundreds of gigs since 1999, but this was without a doubt one of the best, and I'm not even a die-hard fan of ArnoCorps recorded material. They had so much energy, and the crowd was so fucking in to it, you couldn't help but be charmed, and all the ArnoCorps guys were super awesome, hanging out with fans and signing stuff before and after the show.

Same here. I've been to so many shows since the mid 90's and Arnocorps are still clearly one of the funner ones I've been too. Sometimes they'll do an arm wrestling contest before the shows or in between bands. One time they played at some dudes property here and they ziplined onto stage!

The very first time I saw them was in this tiny bar that could probably only hold 100 people. Within seconds chairs and stools were flying.

Highly suggest to see them even if you're not into their music at all.

Fantastic band.
I was actually their first drummer... :(
Their style is very unique, but I think it begins to wane a bit on this release; there's nothing anywhere near as "hooky" as Sun's Delusion, Countless Skies, etc. I came away from it with no real desire to spin any particular track again.

MattyH

been on a bit of a king diamond binge lately and im wondering is there any bands out there today that are of the same style/level of epicness

Jon Lord (you know, Deep Purple's keyboard player) has died...He really helped create a sound that spawned thousands of bands from the 70s till today! R.I.P!

XenoRaven

So after years and years of hearing how awesome Mastodon is, I finally actually bought one of their albums. I ended up getting Leviathan, not based on a particular recommendation, but because the album cover was cool. I want to read Moby Dick now.

I have a few questions though. Is the entire album based on Moby Dick or are only a few songs? If it is entirely based on Moby Dick, what's the significance of the last track being title Joseph Merrick? I did a quick search and only found two references for that name. One was a British guy who had a genetic disorder that dramatically disfigured his body and he ended up becoming a side show under the name "Elephant Man". The other was a Jamaican missionary. Does anyone know, or is it a mystery?

NGAMER9

So after years and years of hearing how awesome Mastodon is, I finally actually bought one of their albums. I ended up getting Leviathan, not based on a particular recommendation, but because the album cover was cool. I want to read Moby Dick now.

I have a few questions though. Is the entire album based on Moby Dick or are only a few songs? If it is entirely based on Moby Dick, what's the significance of the last track being title Joseph Merrick? I did a quick search and only found two references for that name. One was a British guy who had a genetic disorder that dramatically disfigured his body and he ended up becoming a side show under the name "Elephant Man". The other was a Jamaican missionary. Does anyone know, or is it a mystery?
Yep, Leviathan is entirely based on Moby Dick aside from the final track, which is more of a bonus ending instrumental. Joseph Merrick refers to the elephant man, which was the subject of the final song on Mastodon's previous album as well.

Kaladin

You should definitely check out Crack The Skye. It's an awesome concept album with a story involving an astral projecting/traveling paraplegic who's soul gets pulled into Rasputin just before he tries to usurp the Czar of Russia and is murdered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom