• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenoRaven

You should definitely check out Crack The Skye. It's an awesome concept album with a story involving an astral projecting/traveling paraplegic who's soul gets pulled into Rasputin just before he tries to usurp the Czar of Russia and is murdered.
Well that sounds right up my alley! Thanks!

Dark Roots of Earth samples on iTunes.

Two more weeks until this awesomeness is in our hands in it's entirety!!! :D

It seems they are doing an old school style ballad with Cold Embrace.

RDreamer

rVy6f.jpg

Consider this a formal recommendation to all of you. Sigh's newest, In Somniphobia is pretty awesome. Not quite Gallows Gallery awesome, but it's up there. I'm really digging it.

Also, Between the Buried and Me announced Parallax II: Future Sequence will be out on October 9. I'm pretty excited for that, since I loved The Great Misdirect and the Parallax EP.

Tess3ract

Banned
Well now I have to listen to it, Alaska is my top 5 album of all time, I could listen to that forever. Colors I'd wipe my ass with. Get the fuck out of here with your dream theater shit.

edit:

Someone PM me with where you're hearing this, is it leaked?

edit2: it's not out yet.

Greg

My favorite BTBAM is actually The Great Misdirect. I feel like I'm the only person in the world that thinks this way.
I'm with you.

I'm not a fan of their old stuff, disliked the production/mix on Alaska to the point where it's tiring to listen to for long periods, and just about every section on Colors I like revolves around a section of clean vocals.

RDreamer

I'm with you.

I'm not a fan of their old stuff, disliked the production/mix on Alaska to the point where it's tiring to listen to for long periods, and just about every section on Colors I like revolves around a section of clean vocals.

Hah, I'm kind of the same way with colors. I feel like Colors and older the heavier parts are so jumbled together it's really hard to find a section that stands out. It also changes so much and never really seems to go back on anything. I mean I can listen to and really like Alaska for the most part, and after quite a few listens I really love Colors, but I feel like The Great Misdirect did things better. The pacing on that album is light years better than anything else they've ever put out. I feel like it has variety in songs and structures of the songs, and each song stands out really well. And Desert of Song, for instance, is an absolute brilliant piece, both by itself, and in the album as a whole. That song is part of the reason the pacing works so well. It gives you that nice long breather before barreling back into a longer song. I also feel like overall some of the really cool heavy parts in TGM stick around long enough that you can actually appreciate them.

Greg

Hah, I'm kind of the same way with colors. I feel like Colors and older the heavier parts are so jumbled together it's really hard to find a section that stands out. It also changes so much and never really seems to go back on anything. I mean I can listen to and really like Alaska for the most part, and after quite a few listens I really love Colors, but I feel like The Great Misdirect did things better. The pacing on that album is light years better than anything else they've ever put out. I feel like it has variety in songs and structures of the songs, and each song stands out really well. And Desert of Song, for instance, is an absolute brilliant piece, both by itself, and in the album as a whole. That song is part of the reason the pacing works so well. It gives you that nice long breather before barreling back into a longer song. I also feel like overall some of the really cool heavy parts in TGM stick around long enough that you can actually appreciate them.
Yeah, I'm all for technical or progressive music, but a lot of the heavier stuff on older releases (and even on Hypersleep Dialogues) lacks direction and seems to change for the sake of change.

I agree with all the reasons why you appreciated TGM.

cacophony

Yeah, I'm all for technical or progressive music, but a lot of the heavier stuff on older releases (and even on Hypersleep Dialogues) lacks direction and seems to change for the sake of change.

lol, that's exactly how I feel about the newer stuff. random ass hoe downs and shit. The music has zero structure & terrible transitions. The Silent Circus and s/t are their best & have the best songwriting imo. Although btbam's songwriting has never been that great lol

Meh, I understand all the criticism that BTBAM gets, but it never really gets to me, I love all their stuff. It just feels legitimately expressive, whether it's the unrefined potential of early albums to the stream-of-consciousness wank of certain sections of Alaska/all of Colors/the epitome of wank known as "Swim to the Moon" to the more refined sound of The Great Misdirect and The Parallax EP. It just does it for me, the mix of precise technicality and troll-tastic genre bending is pretty sweet. Definitely a band that has a ton of fun with what they do, and they do it exceptionally well.

Meh, I understand all the criticism that BTBAM gets, but it never really gets to me, I love all their stuff. It just feels legitimately expressive, whether it's the unrefined potential of early albums to the stream-of-consciousness wank of certain sections of Alaska/all of Colors/the epitome of wank known as "Swim to the Moon" to the more refined sound of The Great Misdirect and The Parallax EP. It just does it for me, the mix of precise technicality and troll-tastic genre bending is pretty sweet. Definitely a band that has a ton of fun with what they do, and they do it exceptionally well.
I completely agree. I love almost all of BTBAM's stuff and I definitely don't think it has to be a one or the other type deal. I was turned on to the band with The Silent Circus which is their only album that I don't think very highly of (production values were just a bit too low for my taste and their sound in general was still just very raw at that point) but once Alaska hit I was completely on-board and I haven't gotten off since. If it was up to me I would prefer that they stick to a slightly less progressive style than what we saw in The Great Misdirect but slightly more than what we saw in Alaska. A mix between Alaska and Colors would be the perfect blend for me, I think.

Either way, it's hard to hold anything against these guys because they seem like a cool bunch of dudes who just legitimately love making music. In all of the interviews I've seen with them they never come of as completely arrogant or showy so I don't mind if they go a little overboard once in awhile. It's not like Swim to the Moon is a bad song, you know?

Bauer91

Alaska, Colors, The Great Misdirect and The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues are all amazing in my book. BTBAM had their first European tour last year and seeing how they're my favorite band I traveled ~10 hours to a nearby country see them and even got to talk to Blake, Paul and Dan for a bit after the show. Awesome guys.

Two months ago I won a meet and greet with Metallica and unlike BTBAM down to earth wouldn't be how I'd describe those guys but I guess that's to be expected with the difference in popularity between the bands and how long they've been playing.

blahness

First announcements for next years Maryland Deathfest! Spotify playlist: http://open.spotify.com/user/blahness/playlist/6AyDjOpN6uCDcTi5f3RGo8

"The wait is over! We're pleased to announce that the following 16 bands have been confirmed for MDF XI:

VENOM (UK) - Exclusive US headlining show.  
 CARCASS (UK) - Exclusive US show.  
 MANILLA ROAD  
 RIGHTEOUS PIGS - Exclusive US reunion show.  
 PENTAGRAM  
 ANTAEUS (France) - Exclusive US show.  
 INTEGRITY   
 CONVULSE (Finland) - Exclusive US show.  
 AOSOTH (France) - Exclusive US show.   
 PELICAN  
 MIDNIGHT  
 !TOOH! (Czech Republic) - Exclusive US show.   
 MORGION  
 KOMMANDANT  
 AHUMADO GRANUJO (Czech Republic)  
 INGROWING (Czech Republic)  

Stay tuned for more band announcements + new venue information."

Ravager61

First announcements for next years Maryland Deathfest

"The wait is over! We're pleased to announce that the following 16 bands have been confirmed for MDF XI:

holy fuck

Blackheim

Haha, Andrew W.K. is awesome. Knowing my luck I'd get the hangnail :/ I may try my luck anyway, somehow I don't have that album yet even though I have everything else <_<

Oh oh! Watchtower remaster is finally in stock and shipping after a manufacturing error. Grab from here if you want it. Amazon won't get it until next month...

brinstar

First announcements for next years Maryland Deathfest! Spotify playlist: http://open.spotify.com/user/blahness/playlist/6AyDjOpN6uCDcTi5f3RGo8

VENOM (UK) - Exclusive US headlining show.  
 CARCASS (UK) - Exclusive US show.  
 MANILLA ROAD  
 RIGHTEOUS PIGS - Exclusive US reunion show.  
 PENTAGRAM  
 ANTAEUS (France) - Exclusive US show.  
 INTEGRITY   
 CONVULSE (Finland) - Exclusive US show.  
 AOSOTH (France) - Exclusive US show.   
 PELICAN  
 MIDNIGHT  
 MORGION  
 KOMMANDANT  
 AHUMADO GRANUJO (Czech Republic)  
 INGROWING (Czech Republic)  

oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit

I WILL NOT MISS THIS.

strafer

haha, Pantera goes rockabilly. Never heard of these until I found them on Spotify.

It's basically Pantera with a country singer.

It worked for Volbeat and sure as hell it works for Pantera. :D

JB6rm.jpg

Kaladin

haha, Pantera goes rockabilly. Never heard of these until I found them on Spotify.

It's basically Pantera with a country singer.

It worked for Volbeat and sure as hell it works for Pantera. :D

JB6rm.jpg

Love this album. I'm a fan of old outlaw country and the newer Americana/roots country that is coming out now. David Allan Coe is the singer on this album and his stuff is great.

Also, that is a bit heavier than rockabilly, it's more like DAC goes metal.

Enosh

anyone else can't wait for the new Ex Deo music video, the last 2 were so awesome in the "cheesy as fuck" way, the soldier with the duct tape armor :lol
will see if they can top them self

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom