• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eideka

Banned
Guys. y'all should really listen to this. I've been following this band for a few years now, and their debut album is finally out. And it's really, really good.

http://svartalvheim.bandcamp.com/album/cosmic-sorrows

Thanks for the link it's really good.

As for myself, here's my playlist at the moment :

1349 - Hellfire
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Dream Theater - Awake
Bullets and Octane - In the Mouth of the Young

Gaspode_T

I have been trying to get myself into a grindcore mood for the upcoming Napalm Death show here...some of Napalm Death's albums are pretty freaking amazing, and I am blown away by Nasum too. It was cool watching some of Wacken where Napalm Death's brutality is going over 90% of the crowd's head. It is kind of sad that they are not more popular

Nopren

I have been trying to get myself into a grindcore mood for the upcoming Napalm Death show here...some of Napalm Death's albums are pretty freaking amazing, and I am blown away by Nasum too. It was cool watching some of Wacken where Napalm Death's brutality is going over 90% of the crowd's head. It is kind of sad that they are not more popular

zuh? Isn't Napalm Death one of the most famous grind bands?
Anywho, may I recommend Wormrot for some grindcore moodsetting: Wormrot - Dirge (Full Album).
They have been my go to, while we wait for Pig Destroyer TO FUCKING GET ON WITH IT AND RELEASE THEIR NEW ALBUM!!!

brinstar

Awesome man, I've been waiting for Napalm to come back to the states for a while now... I caught them in '09 here in NJ and that was one of the best shows of my life. They still kill live.

strafer

Testament's new album is soon upon us.

iMvNXhP7XRxo.gif

Ravager61

For fans of doom metal and riffs in general, check out Poland's DopeLord.

Fucking riffs in this track are heavier than a very heavy thing. I bought the album via the link provided after hearing the first minute of this song. The whole album is amazing.

DopeLord - Ghost Cargo From the Bong

Good stuff man. I'm digging this resurgence of Psychedelic Doom Metal right now. Acid Witch's latest album is pretty awesome as well. I love how campy they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsQbXWJokd4

Mush

Anyone else digging The Contortionist? I just got into them after they dropped their sophomore LP recently. The closest thing I could compare them to is BATAM, but more djenty.

"Causality"

Speaking of BATAM, they just announced today that they're coming over my way for 2 shows, so I'm pretty stoked.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Anyone else digging The Contortionist? I just got into them after they dropped their sophomore LP recently. The closest thing I could compare them to is BATAM, but more djenty.

"Causality"

Speaking of BATAM, they just announced today that they're coming over my way for 2 shows, so I'm pretty stoked.

No.

strafer

So I finally got my hands on this album, the original and not the stupid re-recording.

It also features the remastered concert from what I think is the Tribute album from released in 87, it sounds sooooooooo good.

Randy was truly one of a kind. Makes the hair on my arms stand up.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
The new Testament album is amazing.

its decent. Im kind of disappointed. I expected a more aggressive/thrashy element to this album.

Overall, there's nice riffs, leads, more or less catchy and some kick ass songs like True American Hate, Rise up, Last Standm Mankind and them 4 lengthy songs. The rest is forgettable and dull as hell.

Greg

its decent. Im kind of disappointed. I expected a more aggressive/thrashy element to this album.

Overall, there's nice riffs, leads, more or less catchy and some kick ass songs like True American Hate, Rise up, Last Standm Mankind and them 4 lengthy songs. The rest is forgettable and dull as hell.
Yeah, I only gave it two listens so far, but that's how I feel as well.

Flynn

Some tours:

False

8/31 - Minneapolis
9/1 - Milwaukee - House early show, late show at Quarters.
9/2 - Ft. Wayne, IN - Harrison House
9/3 - Detroit, MI - House
9/4 - Huntington, WV
9/5 - Richmond, VA - Strange Matter
9/6 - Baltimore, MD
9/7 - New Brunswick, NJ
9/8 - Brooklyn, NY - Acheron
9/9 - Philadelphia, PA - Golden Tee
9/10 - Pittsburgh, PA - Roboto Project
9/11 - Columbus, OH - Carabar
9/12 - Indianapolis, IN - Vibes Music
9/13 - Chicago, IL
9/14 - St. Louis, MO
9/15 - Columbia, MO - Hairhole
9/16 - Kansas City, KS
9/17 - Omaha, NE
9/18 - Denver, CO - Blastomat
9/19 - Albuquerque, NM - House show
9/20 - Las Cruces, NM - The Trainyard
9/21 - Phoenix, AZ
9/22 - San Diego, CA
9/23 - Los Angeles, CA - Blue Café
9/24 - Los Angeles CA - Vacation Vinyl (early show), LAPP Pad (late show)
9/25 - San Jose, CA
9/26 - Oakland, CA
9/27 - San Francisco, CA
9/28 - Santa Rose, CA
9/29 - Sacramento, CA
9/30 - Chico, CA
10/1 - Salem, OR
10/2 - Portland, OR - Beach House (early show), The Space (late show)
10/3 - Olympia, WA
10/4 - Seattle, WA
10/5 - Missoula, MT - Zoo City
10/6 - Billings, MT
10/7 - Minot, ND
10/8 - Fargo, ND

Vektor

3cHZD.jpg

Count me in the same group as being disappointed in the new Testament album. About half the tracks are really solid, but the rest of the album feels pretty generic. Disappointing :(

Vektor is going on tour? Awesome, I'm gonna have to try and catch them. I loved Black Future, but haven't heard their most recent one... how is it?

Ravager61

Nachtmysitum's new album Silencing Machine is out there for hearing.

Listening to the second track right now and it seems pretty great so far. It feels very similar to Instinct: Decay from what I've heard.

Count me in the same group as being disappointed in the new Testament album. About half the tracks are really solid, but the rest of the album feels pretty generic. Disappointing :(

Vektor is going on tour? Awesome, I'm gonna have to try and catch them. I loved Black Future, but haven't heard their most recent one... how is it?

Outstanding album. Definitely better than Black Future.

Check em' out live if you can, great performance.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Nachtmysitum's new album Silencing Machine is out there for hearing.

Listening to the second track right now and it seems pretty great so far. It feels very similar to Instinct: Decay from what I've heard.
I'm liking this a LOT more than the last album, which I thought was awful (loved Assassins Pt. 1 though).

I know there was some Black Sabbath Tony Martin appreciation. This song is still so damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ox-LQzN-Dw

It's always strange to see the name "Black Sabbath" attached to that music. You could argue that Tony Iommi was the heart of the band but the non-Ozzy versions of the band just sounded so damn different. It's still good for what it is, especially the Dio stuff, but they certainly added a huge amount of cheese in the 80s and lost the "heavy". I think poor Tony Martin will always be remembered as a copy of (and standing in the shadow of) Dio.

New Testament is awesome! Even the 'generic' songs on the album outshine other generic songs since they are so damn catchy you want to listen to them again. Plus 3 unique takes on classic songs. Hell yeah! Well worth the wait!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's always strange to see the name "Black Sabbath" attached to that music. You could argue that Tony Iommi was the heart of the band but the non-Ozzy versions of the band just sounded so damn different. It's still good for what it is, especially the Dio stuff, but they certainly added a huge amount of cheese in the 80s and lost the "heavy". I think poor Tony Martin will always be remembered as a copy of (and standing in the shadow of) Dio.
I'm glad they didn't copy, because it would have been a piss poor imitation. One of the things I appreciate about post Ozzy Black Sabbath is that they did try to reinvent their sound.

I'm glad they didn't copy, because it would have been a piss poor imitation. One of the things I appreciate about post Ozzy Black Sabbath is that they did try to reinvent their sound.
Agreed! I liked how the Dio version called itself Heaven and Hell for the tours. Made more sense and let people enjoy the music for what it was. Because of the Black Sabbath name the Tony Martin stuff will always stand in the shadow of the older work.

blahness

More MDF 2013 announcements today

‎"8 more bands have been confirmed for MDF XI!

REPULSION
PAGAN ALTAR (UK) - Exclusive US show!
BROKEN HOPE
PIG DESTROYER
VINTERLAND (Sweden) - Exclusive US show!
WEEDEATER
GRIDE (Czech Republic)
LOSS

An updated list of confirmed bands can be found below. We have quite a bit in the works with some of the headliners for next year's fest, so with a little luck, we'll be able to announce them soon, along with plenty of other bands. As mentioned previously, we expect to reveal information regarding the new venue sometime in August.

!T.O.O.H.! (Czech Republic)
AHUMADO GRANUJO (Czech Republic)
ANTAEUS (France)
AOSOTH (France)
BROKEN HOPE
CARCASS (UK)
CONVULSE (Finland)
GRIDE (Czech Republic)
INGROWING (Czech Republic)
INTEGRITY
KOMMANDANT
LOSS
MANILLA ROAD
MIDNIGHT
MORGION
PAGAN ALTAR (UK)
PELICAN
PENTAGRAM
PIG DESTROYER
REPULSION
RIGHTEOUS PIGS
VENOM (UK)
VINTERLAND (Sweden)
WEEDEATER"

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Holy cow it's been that long :(
I can vividly remember the first time I heard Andrew WK. It was around the time that album came out; I was in an AIM chat with some friends, and a few of us had some late night MTV2 video show on, talking shit about the stuff they were playing. "Party Hard" came on, and well, we had no idea what we were watching/hearing, but sort of loved it. I bought the album shortly thereafter, and it surprisingly ended up being a pretty big part of the "soundtrack" of that time in my life. Never would've expected that.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
You know what's a fun band that's cool to listen to for a while, and is really underrated?

Black Label Society.

I've always been a huge fan of Zakk. It's become cool amongst the Blabbermouth crowd to talk as much shit about him as humanly possible, but the first two BLS records are still amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom