• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I've always been a huge fan of Zakk. It's become cool amongst the Blabbermouth crowd to talk as much shit about him as humanly possible, but the first two BLS records are still amazing.
He's a really underrated lyricist, imo.

Yup! I met Zakk a couple years back, awesome dude!
Yeah, I had a friend who met him, and said that he was really down to earth, and appreciative of his fans.

Kaladin

Apparently the rumor of a shooting threat was enough to call the cops out to Summer Slaughter yesterday.....

TAMPA — The call to police Monday came from inside the Ritz Ybor, the scene of a day-long death-metal band tour called Summer Slaughter.

A young woman had told a bartender she'd overheard two people saying a man armed with a gun and knife would start killing people during an upcoming set by the band Job For a Cowboy.

More than a dozen officers sped to the Ybor City club on E Seventh Avenue around 6 p.m. as Job for a Cowboy took the stage and played a couple of songs.

Nearly 1,000 people were evacuated, and part of Seventh Avenue cordoned off with yellow crime-scene tape, while police swept the building. Officers, who brought bomb-sniffing dogs, found nothing, said Lt. Barry Moskowitz.

Nearly two hours later, the concert resumed. A private security firm, Sentry Security, made pat-down searches of each patron who came back in the door.

Moskowitz said it was unclear if the report was a prank. But given the recent killings in a Colorado movie theater, he said, police could not take a chance.

The unexpected interlude sent into the early evening sunlight the black-shrouded concertgoers, many of them wearing T-shirts featuring such bands as Goatwhore or bearing such world views as "Living Hell."

They griped, they stood with arms folded, they looked for sustenance.

"Sir dude, can we cross and get a beer?" a young man asked an officer, who nodded and lifted the crime tape for passage.

Justin Freeman, 27, of Wesley Chapel, had been waiting to see the headliner band, Cannibal Corpse. He said he couldn't imagine violence at a death metal tour, where fans indulge brief slips into fantasy and laugh at intentionally overwrought lyrics.

"Who would want to kill at a death metal show?" he asked.

Indeed, it was the last thing on their minds when police arrived.

"We thought it was a drug thing," said Mike Persach, 25, of Tampa.

One young man waiting to get back in begged not to mention his name in the newspaper. He said his mother would have a fit.

Also.....wtf is up with the tone of this article? I highlighted some of the gems in here, but is this what passes for journalism these days?

http://www.tampabay.com/news/rumor-of-shooting-threat-at-ritz-ybor-delays-metal-show/1243327

This is from the Tampa Bay Times.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Apparently the rumor of a shooting threat was enough to call the cops out to Summer Slaughter yesterday.....

Also.....wtf is up with the tone of this article? I highlighted some of the gems in here, but is this what passes for journalism these days?

http://www.tampabay.com/news/rumor-of-shooting-threat-at-ritz-ybor-delays-metal-show/1243327

This is from the Tampa Bay Times.

Its shit like this that makes me realize that metal will always be the red headed stepchild of the music community.

Kaladin

564623_10151046264754144_1500441563_n.jpg

I am tempted to go to this.

Flynn

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I just listened to Ozzy's Scream album for the first time. Wow, this is really underwhelming. Another generic rock station anthem, another generic attack on Christianity to sound deep (but still ambiguous enough to still claim to be a Christian himself), another positive message song. It's unfortunate, but from interviews and listens, it's like he's not even himself. Ozzy has no idea what he's doing, what he's singing, why he does this or that. Whoever is pulling his strings has cultivated his image to such an extent that there's no reason to listen.

EDIT: From written serious interviews, he also sounds incredibly bitter and angry, for some reason.

spink

seeing Sunn O))) in October. can't wait.

have just recently discovered Deasthspell Omega.
can't get enough of Paracletus.

I just listened to Ozzy's Scream album for the first time. Wow, this is really underwhelming. Another generic rock station anthem, another generic attack on Christianity to sound deep (but still ambiguous enough to still claim to be a Christian himself), another positive message song. It's unfortunate, but from interviews and listens, it's like he's not even himself. Ozzy has no idea what he's doing, what he's singing, why he does this or that. Whoever is pulling his strings has cultivated his image to such an extent that there's no reason to listen.

EDIT: From written serious interviews, he also sounds incredibly bitter and angry, for some reason.

I totally agree with this. I could barely finish the album. The only thing I enjoyed where some of the solos thanks to Gus.

I've been listening to Sacrificium's Escaping the Stupor (2005) a lot lately and I can't get enough of it. Gotta love that Christian Death Metal. :p

102814.jpg

There are quite a few stand out songs on the album but I Am The Enemy is probably one of my favorites. Anyone else ever listen to these guys?

Zonaria's Infamy and the Breed (2007) has been a getting a lot of my attention lately as well. I haven't heard their new album yet, anyone have any thoughts on it?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Ozzmosis was the last ozzy record worth listening to.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
To be fair, I think it was like this in the Black Sabbath days, too. :)
Yeah, but at least then, the people telling him what to sing were the other members, which made it great.

do you really need to ask that question friend? you know it's
his cunt wife
Sharon.
It's unfortunate, because in interviews, Ozzy sounds like he had the musical freedom of his older contemporaries like McCartney or Springsteen. He's become bitter, and considering the life he lives that's unfortunate.

Ozzmosis was the last ozzy record worth listening to.
Agreed.

I totally agree with this. I could barely finish the album. The only thing I enjoyed where some of the solos thanks to Gus.
I finished it, but never again. And Gus had little to do with the solos, as most were done when he got there. There isn't a single memorable track that you would listen to again, unless you were an obsessive Ozzy fan.

Subprime

Anyone else think pelicans drummer is fucking terrible? Its like he doesnt know where the emphasis in a beat is supposed to be.

Subprime

I have gotten to see Animetal Jpn, Anthem, Outrage, United, Dir En Grey, Gackt's rock band Yellow Fried Chicken (LOL)...still need to see Loudness and X Japan...the visual kei stuff I would prefer to go with someone but I don't really know anyone who is into that, the Liv Moon stuff kind of same. Galneryus would be fun to see!

The fad here with indie bands is unfortunately screamo/hardcore ... that is what the kids are into ... it makes me sad. I had some 20 year old tell me he doesn't like thrash because they don't scream enough.

The concert in November looks like a winner! Thanks for letting me know - that is actually close to where I live...

I hope Loud Park this year has an epic lineup! Last year the excuse was that people wouldn't come because they were afraid of Fukushima fallout rads

When you say screamo I assume you mean the 2000's metalcore phenomenon? Its not actually screamo. Dont call it hardcore either, because its not. Black flag/ minor threat / bad brains is hardcore, not that stuff.

Ravager61

seeing Sunn O))) in October. can't wait.

have just recently discovered Deasthspell Omega.
can't get enough of Paracletus.

Nice. Easily one of my favorite bands. Si Monumentm... is easily my favorite album from them. Heavy, complex, even catchy at times. Not to mention, evil as all hell. \m/

Anyone else think pelicans drummer is fucking terrible? Its like he doesnt know where the emphasis in a beat is supposed to be.

he's a goon at it. Still doesn't detract from the rest of the riffing...although I'll have to say that I've lost a lot of interest in them since that last EP.

bart jr

Neo Member
Dog Days - Via Dolorosa

For fans of Converge, The Black Dahlia Murder(Unhallowed - era)

The whole album is great, and although they aren't my favorite songs I think 'Dead Ends' and 'Rain Shadow'/'Sun Shadow' give a good representation of their style.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Live Metallica always amaze me. They've played these songs so often that they've perfected their performance. Everything is so fine tuned, it's amazing.

Melchiah

Here's a song from the upcoming album of Behexen, We Burn With Serpent Fire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAovSlFxtIQ

BEHEXEN ”Nightside Emanations” CD/LP
The release date will be September 21
By Debemur Morti Productions.

1. Intro
2. Wrathfull Dragon Hau-Hra
3. Death´s Black light
4. Circle Me...
5. We burn with Serpent fire
6. Luciferian Will