• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, I got my guitar to B tuning. Anyone knows good bands with use this tuning? (Besides Carcass)

I believe later Boltthrower was B tuning. A tuning was too heavy for them, haha.
Early Arch Enemy (with Johan Liiva), At The Gates, Edge of Sanity are in B.
Of course a lot of the Carcass clones were in B, i.e. Exhumed, Impaled.

I know a lot of the Stockholm Swedish stuff (Entombed, Dismember, Carnage, etc) were in C#.

A lot of the Florida "Morrisound" bands were in D (Obituary, Death, etc.)

Seeing this performed live was fucking insane. It felt like my insides were going to vibrate their way through my skin.

I've heard that DEAF people go to Sunn O))) shows just to "feel". I still haven't seen Sunn O))), but I can only imagine how much low frequency can be seriously intense.

Amon Amarth is my favourite band but even I can admit that they make pretty much the same album every time nowadays. Once Sent is my favourite album by them, even got my copy signed at one of their concerts. Seen them live about 5 times or so, and they're amazing every time.
They're kinda a one-trick pony, but they do that trick extremely well. Which is fine, its nice that you already know what their next album is going to sound, as long as they keep up the quality. Which they've managed to do so far IMO.

Cudder

I've been away from metal for a while, but I just listened to Agallochs latest again, and damn that shit is atmospheric.

cacophony

What are everyone's thoughts on The Black Dahlia Murder?

one of my favorite bands ever. every release is solid. they stick to their formula and it works because they execute it so well. miasma & deflorate are my favorite releases. also their documentary DVD is one of the funniest things ever, best band docu I've seen by far. So much energy live too

Greg

What are everyone's thoughts on The Black Dahlia Murder?
I love them. Nocturnal, Deflorate, and Ritual are all amazing records.

A lot of people seem to associate them with some of the generic death-influenced core bands that came out around the same time, but they're far from it. Just an all-around great modern melodic death band.

Ryan definitely added a lot to the band's sound with their 2 latest releases (Deflorate being my favorite), so I'm interested to see where the band is going.

edit: and his solos are on another level (Arsis solos end at 4:46)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEfm4PQehI0

Ravager61

I've heard that DEAF people go to Sunn O))) shows just to "feel". I still haven't seen Sunn O))), but I can only imagine how much low frequency can be seriously intense.

This is very true. The Sunn O))) show I saw was one of the most trance inducing things I've ever experienced. The combination of incredibly loud music and the thick fog that fills the venue really isolates you and lets you take everything in. Someone could be standing next to you yelling into your ear and you probably wouldn't hear them. Really makes you focus in on everything.

Sunn O))) are one of my favorite bands of all time but I'm also very into ambient and atmospheric music to begin with, so I'm a bit biased.

Sleepy

So what was the consensus on the new Meshuggah album? I'm pretty fucking devoted to it. I still listen to it 2-3 times a week.

Ixion

Listened to a few more albums...

Strapping Young Lad - City

Strappingyoungladcity.jpg

Genre: Industrial Metal, Extreme Metal

Released: 1997

Rating: 4/5

The heavy wall of sound and Devin's soaring vocals make this album an engulfing listening experience. Half of this album is comprised of some top-notch tracks, such as "All Hail The New Flesh", "Detox", "AAA", and "Spirituality". The rest of the album is solid, with "Oh My Fucking God" being the only track I couldn't get into, even though it seems to be a fan favorite for its wacky nature. Perhaps it will grow on me.

Strapping Young Lad - Strapping Young Lad

220px-Strappingyoungladsyl.jpg

Released: 2003

This is a very consistent album, as I found every song enjoyable and there's never a moment devoid of well done riffage. That's the difference I noticed with this album compared to City, as the riffs are the focus this time around instead of the "wall of sound". Both approaches are enjoyable in their own way. However, while being more consistent, this album doesn't have many tracks that will blow you away.

The Gathering - Mandylion

TheGatheringMandylion.jpg

Genre: Gothic Metal, Doom Metal

Released: 1995

This is as soothing as metal can get. The songs are moderately paced and the vocals are angelic. Six of the songs sound quite similar, even though they're still good and contain some interesting sections that add to the gothic atmosphere. With that said, the title song changes things up with an atmospheric instrumental, while the following song, "Sand & Mercury", is the longest song on the album and adds some progressive elements into the mix.

Cudder

Listened to a few more albums...

Strapping Young Lad - City

Strappingyoungladcity.jpg

Released: 1997

The heavy wall of sound and Devin's soaring vocals make this album an engulfing listening experience. Half of this album is comprised of some top-notch tracks, such as "All Hail The New Flesh", "Detox", "AAA", and "Spirituality". The rest of the album is solid, with "Oh My Fucking God" being the only track I couldn't get into, even though it seems to be a fan favorite for its wacky nature. Perhaps it will grow on me.

Strapping Young Lad - Strapping Young Lad

220px-Strappingyoungladsyl.jpg

Released: 2003

This is a very consistent album, as I found every song enjoyable and there's never a moment devoid of well done riffage. That's the difference I noticed with this album compared to City, as the riffs are the focus this time around instead of the "wall of sound". Both approaches are enjoyable in their own way. However, while being more consistent, this album doesn't have many tracks that will blow you away.

The Gathering - Mandylion

TheGatheringMandylion.jpg

Genre: Gothic Metal, Doom Metal

Released: 1995

This is as soothing as metal can get. The songs are moderately paced and the vocals are angelic. Six of the songs sound quite similar, even though they're still good and contain some interesting sections that add to the gothic atmosphere. With that said, the title song changes things up with an atmospheric instrumental, while the following song, "Sand & Mercury", is the longest song on the album and adds some progressive elements into the mix.

How many times do you listen to an album before you review it? Seems like you give everything a 4/5, even if you're text doesn't read like it lol.

Ixion

How many times do you listen to an album before you review it? Seems like you give everything a 4/5, even if you're text doesn't read like it lol.

At least three times or so. I don't see why my descriptions don't correlate with 4s though. I was positive for all three albums, but mentioned a drawback for each. Also, I know I tend to only give positive ratings, but that's mainly because I'm only listening to acclaimed albums by bands that I've already tried out and liked.

But I'm not a professional reviewer or anything, so I'll take any feedback I can get.

Ixion, please keep doing your mini reviews! It's interesting seeing someone on a metal journey discovering new albums, and your format is compact and digestible. I'm thoroughly enjoying them.

I believe later Boltthrower was B tuning. A tuning was too heavy for them, haha.
Early Arch Enemy (with Johan Liiva), At The Gates, Edge of Sanity are in B.
Of course a lot of the Carcass clones were in B, i.e. Exhumed, Impaled.

I know a lot of the Stockholm Swedish stuff (Entombed, Dismember, Carnage, etc) were in C#.

A lot of the Florida "Morrisound" bands were in D (Obituary, Death, etc.)
Oh thanks man! I know that Bloodbath and Haemorrhage uses this tuning too.

Flynn

Terrible news about Baroness.

Satan, drugs, women are all doable. The tour bus is the true enemy of metal.

ALSO:

I saw Agalloch on their L.A. date. Man, these guys are great live. I don't know why, but I was surprised at how fucking tight and energetic they were.

Kaladin

The band members of Baroness and their crew are recovering from injuries sustained after their tour bus crashed outside of Bath, England early on Wednesday morning.

John Baizley has broken his left arm and left leg. Allen Blickle and Matt Maggioni each suffered fractured vertebrae. All three remain in the hospital as of this writing. Pete Adams has been treated and released from the hospital.

Three of the five crew members who were on the bus have also been treated and released. One member is still undergoing testing. The driver of the bus remains in critical condition.

Please stay tuned for further updates. Thank you for all the support during this extremely difficult time.

Hope they have a speedy recovery. I can't wait to see them live again.

Kaladin

246871_10151000052100264_238136666_n.jpg

Apparently after Metallica films their 3D movie in Vancouver, all of their new stage set-up is going into storage for several years. I was hoping they would do a wide tour with it all.

I'm finally moving ahead with my metal website, and I now need a logo. I've never commissioned anything like this before, so I don't really know where to begin. Does anybody know of a good place that does well-designed logo for a reasonable price? What I'm looking for isn't very elaborate or large, so I'm hoping it won't cost too much.

Ixion

Ixion, please keep doing your mini reviews! It's interesting seeing someone on a metal journey discovering new albums, and your format is compact and digestible. I'm thoroughly enjoying them.

Indeed! Please join me on my quest, as I travel through the forests of Black Metal...

rsz_1rsz_dark-forest-night-image-31002.jpg

the mountains of Power Metal...

rsz_epic2.jpg

the oceans of Post-Metal...

rsz_surreal-ocean-before-the-storm-wallpaper-1280x800.jpg

the factories of Industrial Metal...

japan_factory08.jpg

the underworld of Death Metal...

rsz_hell.jpg

the deserts of Stoner Metal...

rsz_1rsz_car-desert.jpg

the malls of Metalcore...

rsz_mall-girls-10.jpg

and beyond!

Terrible news about Baroness.

Satan, drugs, women are all doable. The tour bus is the true enemy of metal.

ALSO:

I saw Agalloch on their L.A. date. Man, these guys are great live. I don't know why, but I was surprised at how fucking tight and energetic they were.

I was at the gig too, and it was probably the best performance I've seen them put on in the 5 times I've seen them.

Melchiah

I dunno how many are interested in these, but here's a load of old & rare pics of (in)famous Black Metal figures.

1zfNI.jpg

Dead/MayheM

n3Gw0.jpg

Vi2mg.jpg

Fenriz/Darkthrone

RMwdL.jpg

Aldrahn & Vicotnik/Dodheimsgard in the front, Shagrath/Dimmu Borgir in the back.

U8rb4.jpg

ZnbTi.jpg

Blasphemy (Black Winds in the latter pic)

qalIl.jpg

s56g0.jpg

XLoMM.jpg

Quorthon/Bathory

yqto5.jpg

Ihsahn/Emperor

5V22q.jpg

Arioch/Funeral Mist (Mortuus/Marduk)

qk39O.jpg

Euronymoys & Dead/MayheM (when Dead's dead)

CwHs2.jpg

Hj9xo.jpg

Euronymous/MayheM & Vikernes/Burzum

jmdajr

Indeed! Please join me on my quest, as I travel through the forests of Black Metal...

rsz_1rsz_dark-forest-night-image-31002.jpg

the mountains of Power Metal...

rsz_epic2.jpg

the oceans of Post-Metal...

rsz_surreal-ocean-before-the-storm-wallpaper-1280x800.jpg

the factories of Industrial Metal...

japan_factory08.jpg

the underworld of Death Metal...

rsz_hell.jpg

the deserts of Stoner Metal...

rsz_1rsz_car-desert.jpg

the malls of Metalcore...