• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed! Please join me on my quest, as I travel through the forests of Black Metal...

the mountains of Power Metal...

the oceans of Post-Metal...

the factories of Industrial Metal...

the underworld of Death Metal...

the deserts of Stoner Metal...

the malls of Metalcore...

and beyond!

great post, but you forgot Thrash Metal!

Flynn

I was at the gig too, and it was probably the best performance I've seen them put on in the 5 times I've seen them.

Nice. I'm trying to up my metal show attendance in LA. I ALMOST went to see Agalloch that time they played in Long Beach but it was raining pretty hard.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Fuck yes! Sunn O))) just added a Boston show to their east coast tour. I'm psyched now. It's gonna be at this really cool, old theatre — the atmosphere should be amazing.

Fuck yes! Sunn O))) just added a Boston show to their east coast tour. I'm psyched now. It's gonna be at this really cool, old theatre — the atmosphere should be amazing.

I'm kicking myself for not going to the show they did at the "haunted" restaurant/hotel here a few years ago.

Kaladin

I'm still not sure if I want to see Sunn 0))) live. I don't know if I could listen to their music for that long, but it would surely be a hell of an experience.

Flynn

Atmosphere is a huge contributor. When a saw the Altar show they did it at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis. They lit the theater so that it looked like pitch darkness behind their amps, like the band was playing on the edge of an abyss and that they were channeling the sound of that abyss out into the crowd. At least that's where my mind went with it.

Great pics.

Blasphemy are badasses haha.
1xLJ7.jpg

ehl6M.jpg

Best black metal pics award goes to Masters Hammer.
n17pm.png

Pv2bS.jpg

choodi

Banned
New Katatonia is good. I've only listened to it a couple of times, but it is giving me good vibes.

Only problem so far is that there doesn't seem to be any "standout" tracks, which might make it less likely for me to go back to after the initial rush.

Greg

New Katatonia is good. I've only listened to it a couple of times, but it is giving me good vibes.

Only problem so far is that there doesn't seem to be any "standout" tracks, which might make it less likely for me to go back to after the initial rush.
If you loved Night Is the New Day, this one will grow on you as well.

There aren't too many standout guitar moments, so it all falls on the vocal arrangements and the programming/keyboards (a lot which isn't that apparent considering the quality of the rip that's out isn't great).

Ixion

Saw this posted on another forum...

This is the situation. There's a beautiful princess trapped in a castle guarded by a dragon. Here's the end of the story with different kinds of metallers...

POWER METAL:

The protagonist arrives riding a white unicorn, escapes from the dragon, saves the princess, and makes love to her in an enchanted forest.

THRASH METAL:

The protagonist arrives, fights the dragon, saves the princess, and fucks her.

HEAVY METAL:

The protagonist arrives on a Harley Davidson bike, kills the dragon, drinks some beers, and fucks the princess.

FOLK METAL:

The protagonist arrives with some friends playing acordeons, violins, flutes and many other weird instruments, the dragon falls sleep (by all the dancing), then everyone leaves....without the princess.

VIKING METAL:

The protagonist arrives in a ship, kills the dragon with his migthy axe, cooks and eats it, rapes the princess to death, steals everything in the castle, and burns the whole place before leaving.

DEATH METAL:

The protagonist arrives, kills the dragon, fucks the princess, kills her, and then leaves.

BLACK METAL:

The protagonist arrives at midnight, kills the dragon and impales it in front of the castle. Then he sodomizes the princess, drinks her blood in a ritual before killing her, and then impales her as well.

GOREGRIND:

The protagonist arrives, kills the dragon, spreads its guts in the front of the castle, fucks the princess, and kills her. Then he fucks the dead body, slashes her belly and eats her guts.....then he fucks the carcass for the third time, burns the corpse and fucks it for the last time.

DOOM METAL:

The protagonist arrives, sees the size of the dragon and thinks he could never beat him. Then he gets depressed and commits suicide. The dragon eats his body and the princess as well.

PROGRESSIVE METAL:

The protagonist arrives with a guitar and plays a solo for 26 minutes, the dragon kills himself out of boredom, the protagonist arrives at the princess' bedroom, plays another solo, the princess escapes looking for the Heavy Metal protagonist.

GLAM METAL:

The protagonist arrives, the dragon laughs at his appearence and lets him enter. He steals the princess' make-up and tries to paint the castle in a beautiful pink color.

Saw this posted on another forum...

First time posting in OT, figured it should be something I love, possibly even more than gaming - METAL. I remember reading/seeing something similar to that somewhere else as well, I love the stereotypes that are associated with various sub-genres of metal.

I primarily listen to progressive, orchestral and industrial but I tend to switch genres way too much. I also love doom, death, power hell even glam and 80s junk. My favorite person from the metal scene is most definitely this guy though:

Devin%20Townsend%20-%201.jpg

I was curious what your guys' thoughts on him were, if you're enjoying his newer stuff or not. I'm still debating on whether or not I preorder all the junk for his upcoming album.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
First time posting in OT, figured it should be something I love, possibly even more than gaming - METAL. I remember reading/seeing something similar to that somewhere else as well, I love the stereotypes that are associated with various sub-genres of metal.

I primarily listen to progressive, orchestral and industrial but I tend to switch genres way too much. I also love doom, death, power hell even glam and 80s junk. My favorite person from the metal scene is most definitely this guy though:

I was curious what your guys' thoughts on him were, if you're enjoying his newer stuff or not. I'm still debating on whether or not I preorder all the junk for his upcoming album.

I tried really hard to get into his stuff and i just couldn't . Something just doesn't click with me. Addicted felt like an industrial pop record. There wasn't much to sink your teeth into.

Ixion

I've only listened to Strapping Young Lad so far (as you can tell from my album reviews), and I really enjoy that band, but I haven't gotten around to the solo stuff yet. I will soon!

I tried really hard to get into his stuff and i just couldn't . Something just doesn't click with me. Addicted felt like an industrial pop record. There wasn't much to sink your teeth into.

That was the point of Addicted in a way though. It works well in context to the four albums it was a part of. Is that the only album you checked out? If so I would recommend Ocean Machine and Infinity, some really amazing stuff there.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
That was the point of Addicted in a way though. It works well in context to the four albums it was a part of. Is that the only album you checked out? If so I would recommend Ocean Machine and Infinity, some really amazing stuff there.

I listened to Ocean Machine but not infinity. I still have the same lukewarm feelings about it. I think i just don't like industrial.

I listened to Ocean Machine but not infinity. I still have the same lukewarm feelings about it. I think i just don't like industrial.

From what I've read/heard, people tend to either love Devy's work or hate it. His style really does vary from album to album it seems, especially with his solo work - case in point are the "Band" albums versus the "Project" albums.

I tend to think the DTB albums are way more orchestral/progressive, while DTP albums tend to be more concept albums IMO. Addicted was definitely meant to have a pop-y sound while Deconstruction generally kind of sounds really eclectic and crazy. Epiccloud is supposed to be heavy but with lyrics and themes typically not associated with heavy stuff.

Overall I think his style has always been wacky and eclectic, it's just been a lot less depressive and cynical since the SYL days (back when he did a lot of stuff..), which I personally love. I can't wait for Epiccloud and eventually Ziltoid 2. If it isn't obvious, I absolutely love Devy:

308301_10150407309160240_136135495_n.jpg

(That's me and him)

There's about 100+ hard rock and metal records on sale for $5 at Amazon. Some weird stuff in there if you dig.

Between finding out that I can now purchase Disturb's masterpiece 10,000 Fists for a Lincoln...

... and hearing this funky gem for the first time, I can now hang up my metal hat and get out of the game. I've seen the pinnacle, and that's all I'll ever need.

Hey, cool

600px-Silverthorn_cover.jpg

"[Silverthorn] will also be their third concept album, based on a story about a little girl who dies at the hands of her twin brothers."

I just found out about this minutes ago. Releasing in October

Poetry for the Poisoned was enjoyable, and I'm anxious to see the new direction of the band now that Khan is gone

RDreamer

Heard the new Devin Townsend Project album, Epicloud. He put up commentary with the album playing in full onto youtube yesterday and I listened twice. It was neat hearing him talk about everything while listening. The album itself is amazing. Simply amazing. I was kind of weary after Lucky Animals. It was a good song, but it was an odd direction. In context it makes sense, and the rest of the album just rocks. I was pretty correct that it's a sort of combination of Addicted and Synchestra. It's a bit more simplified, but what it lacks in complexity it seems to make up for in just being big and, well... epic. It sounds huge. It also flows really really well. There are nice interludes and breaks when needed, and the pacing is great. I can tell it'll be way up in my top 10 this year.

I just discovered Korpiklaani.

They have a song about Vodka, a song about Tequila, and a song about Pints of Beer.

They are awesome.

Tervaskanto is an incredible album. I can't wait to see these guys again, and with Moonsorrow and Tyr. I've seen all three of these bands before, but to see them all together is going to be ridiculous.

Epicloud is good for what it is, but he'll be back to progressive Devin on the next album I'm sure.

Physicist is still my favorite Devin album.

Watevaman

They're coming to my local place in September and I hope to go see them again. Last time I saw them was when it was Korp+Tyr. I went into the show not liking Tyr and loving Korpiklaani but left loving Tyr and not feeling Korp. Korpiklaani was ~20 minutes late coming to the stage and when they got there it really felt like they didn't want to be there, whereas Tyr was so damn happy to be playing.

They're coming to my local place in September and I hope to go see them again. Last time I saw them was when it was Korp+Tyr. I went into the show not liking Tyr and loving Korpiklaani but left loving Tyr and not feeling Korp. Korpiklaani was ~20 minutes late coming to the stage and when they got there it really felt like they didn't want to be there, whereas Tyr was so damn happy to be playing.

The thing about Korpiklaani live, is that it's like one long Korpiklaani song and you get worn out. Maybe I was fizzling, too much beer or something, but I was exhausted after 10 or so songs and that was like halfway heh.

I've seen Tyr a few times, when they're on they are great.

Now, Moonsorrow... they are the shit. Those guys are my heroes. The greatest band in the world.

edit: and Metsatoll is with them, and they are incredible. What a fucking lineup.

RDreamer

Epicloud is good for what it is, but he'll be back to progressive Devin on the next album I'm sure.

Physicist is still my favorite Devin album.

Nah. Next albums are Casualties of Cool and Ziltoid 2. We know how Z2 will be. It'll be like Z1, but more epic. Casualties of Cool was described like this: " … it sounds like haunted Johnny cash songs. late night music, completely isolated sounding and different than anything I’ve done. Che sings most of the leads, and it’s probably the truest reflection of who I am in life at this point."

Quackula

I think it'll be a long time before we get a more traditional sounding Devy album.

Given the frequency of releases he does these days though, I'm okay with that. I've loved pretty much everything he's ever released, so yeah.

RDreamer

I think it'll be a long time before we get a more traditional sounding Devy album.

Given the frequency of releases he does these days though, I'm okay with that. I've loved pretty much everything he's ever released, so yeah.

What exactly constitutes a traditional sounding Dev album though? As I said, Epicloud is basically Addicted and Synchestra mashed together. It's kind of traditional, an wouldnt feel out of place if he did it right after Synchestra, though it is still different enough. He's always changed things up.

I've also loved everything he's ever released, and he's probably one of my top 2 or 3 musicians and songwriters. I love that he tries something different each time.

To those going to the Korpiklaani and Tyr shows, please make sure to catch Metsatoll. They're an amazing band with an amazing live show. I wish they were headlining.

Quackula

What exactly constitutes a traditional sounding Dev album though? As I said, Epicloud is basically Addicted and Synchestra mashed together. It's kind of traditional, an wouldnt feel out of place if he did it right after Synchestra, though it is still different enough. He's always changed things up.

I've also loved everything he's ever released, and he's probably one of my top 2 or 3 musicians and songwriters. I love that he tries something different each time.

That's very true.

I love how he's always so confident about what he's doing. Like you always know that anything he puts out is exactly what he wants to do, and his heart's 100 percent in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom