• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ixion

pabilto: Did you happen to pick up that CD reissue of the Timeghoul demos that came out a while back?

After looking up all those bands, the artwork for Timeghoul really grabbed my attention. It makes me want to listen to them...

Timeghoul%20cover.jpg

pablito

pabilto: Did you happen to pick up that CD reissue of the Timeghoul demos that came out a while back?

i did, and i enjoyed it. i haven't compared it to the originals yet, though.

Only obscure Black & Death Metal for you it seems! The only band I have from there is Demilich, as you probably saw. I'll try and check out the others when I get a chance.

lol yeah. the raw and filthy side of black metal isn't a "pleasant" experience. but that's exactly what i like it so much.

Quackula

Cool, cool.

Been meaning to grab that and a few other recent reissues of some more obscure stuff for the past few months, but I've kept putting it off.

Guess I'm just waiting until I feel like going on another buying binge.

on the subject of How to Death Metal, I used to run a blog (well, it still exists but for different purposes) where I basically archived the shit out of all my OSDM and other stuff worth looking at. I still have most of the stuff I uploaded, so just to get some use out of them again I'll present some recommendations in the form of pretty scans.

01_500.png

01_500.png

depravity_silence_01_500x500.png

obituary_slowly_01_500x500.png

obituary_cause_01_500x500.png

morpheusdescends_truth_01_500x500.png

suffocation_effigy_01_500x500.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

some obvious, some obscure, but all legit I will guarantee that. I never got to spend as much time as I wanted to doing this. I really hate it when the artwork of a release can never be fully appreciated.

http://squirrel-uk.blogspot.com/

not really any use now, but it's worth a plug. Once I get my space where I live cleaned up I might get back to work on it.

I actually have an original MC of Tumultuous Travelings. I think the comp on the whole is an excellent release. Audio wise it's the best anyone could do most likely.

pablito

heard those except for morbuis. i'll hit up the youtube when i get home.

what's everyone's favorite releases of the year? for some reason i feel lacking this year

deiphago - satan alpha omega
gaza - no absolutes in human suffering
timeghoul remaster
chapel - satan's rock n roll
pseudogod - deathwomb catechesis
antediluvian/adversarial split
wrathprayer - sun of moloch
satan's satyrs - wild beyond belief! (punk, but my favorite of the year)

yeah Morbius are cool. I like everything they did, but Sojourns is by far the one to listen to IMO. I dunno the exact trivia but they're somehow related to GBK.

Even though this thread is for "metal," this still might be out of place due to how many posts are regarding death and black metal (not necessarily my thing, although some death is okay).

Anyone like prog-metal (Dream Theater, Symphony X) or symphonic metal (Nightwish)?

Dream Theater is definitely my favorite band, and they are ridiculous instrumentalists.

Heavy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSX86zPnUkY
Mellow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se5NkM4V26I
Epic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH_9lJxeiXg
Guitar/Keyboard Solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5qR7zKK3c

timeghoul remaster

LOL what the fuck, either I know you personally somehow or you just frequent the same boards as me.

blahness

what's everyone's favorite releases of the year? for some reason i feel lacking this year

timeghoul remaster

Thank you! added Timeghoul, Chapel, and Gaza to buy purchase list

pablito

LOL what the fuck, either I know you personally somehow or you just frequent the same boards as me.

could be the second one. i'm not much of a participant in other forums, though. been a member here for a couple months and just barely started posting. so i don't really know anybody lol.

does the name carl(zilla) ring a bell?

Even though this thread is for "metal," this still might be out of place due to how many posts are regarding death and black metal (not necessarily my thing, although some death is okay).

Anyone like prog-metal (Dream Theater, Symphony X) or symphonic metal (Nightwish)?

Dream Theater is definitely my favorite band, and they are ridiculous instrumentalists.

Heavy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSX86zPnUkY
Mellow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se5NkM4V26I
Epic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH_9lJxeiXg
Guitar/Keyboard Solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5qR7zKK3c
I enjoy Dream Theater, I just hate the vocal. But it is a fine band.

Nice to see Death on the top of Death Metal Bands, Chuck was a God.

Subprime

Too much metal follows the stupid rock tradition of the solo. It is overused and it peaked with hendrix (or neil young, arguably). Give it up. Focus on the actual song. Theres a reason that most of the best metal is made by punks.

Too much metal follows the stupid rock tradition of the solo. It is overused and it peaked with hendrix (or neil young, arguably). Give it up. Focus on the actual song. Theres a reason that most of the best metal is made by punks.
Somewhere in Sweden, Yngwie just shed a tear. :p

Bought the new Testament album, Dark Roots of Earth a couple days ago. Can't stop being amazed at how well has this band aged. I feared Formation... was going to be difficult to follow but this one is also a stellar effort. Gene Hoglan is the fucking man.

That DM list is missing this album. So good...

indeed, I'm actually blasting it at work at the moment. DEAD BY DAWN.

lol i'm not carl, believe it or not. but the whole bestial thing clicked with me (he showed me hades archer), so i'm always eating up his black metal recs.

ridiculous, it's almost like you're copying and pasting stuff he would actually post lol.

edit:

actually no, he said he skipped the Timeghoul comp. OK, so that's that. But wow, you must really follow what that dude listens to.

Hi metal-gaf hop(?) this is my first post ever here and while I don't listen to much metal I would love to start. So I am asking the metal gaf overlords for some recommendations for some death metal bands.

I really like behemoth, not sure if there 'death' metal though, but anything similar would be greatly appreciated!

Behemoth is death metal, unless you are listening to old Behemoth. Some bands I'd recommend: Necrophobic - Hrimthursum. Also give The Monolith Deathcult a try.

timeghoul remaster

Mgła - With Hearts Toward None Black metal http://youtu.be/wHfUsIm0z28

Deathspell Omega - Drought black metal http://youtu.be/JgED7nXlxZE

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Piñata Fun mix of symphonic/prog/avant-garde metal with swing as usual. http://youtu.be/-VRUSfNOrRU

Christian Mistress - Possession Heavy metal with female vocals http://youtu.be/oYUKgKnoaGo

Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht Atmospheric black metal http://youtu.be/hvJhTuPt_UM

Btw, can tell someone me something about the following bands and project. Any (live) experience with them, what kind of styles do they play?

TULUS (Nor)
SETH (Fra)
THULCANDRA (Ger)
FUNERAL WINDS (Nld)
ONE TAIL, ONE HEAD (Nor)
ISVIND (Nor)

And a tribute band playing A Blaze in the Northern Sky
"We're thinking of brining the torches and we will be playing the entire "A blaze in the Northern Sky Album".

The lineup for this tribute band:
Nagash - Troll, Covenant/The Kovenant
K: Virus, Whip, Blindfisted, Enthral
Sturt: Nattefrost, Troll
V: Sarkom, Svarttjern, Magister Templi
Goblin: Isvind"

pablito

ridiculous, it's almost like you're copying and pasting stuff he would actually post lol.

oh don't get me wrong, i do like them. those are my go to metal albums right now. but yeah he showed me the genre and i took a liking to bestial black metal a whole lot. hades archer and diocletian are my favorites, though, his are different.

plus some non metal albums from this year i'm sure he'd never touch

lil ugly mane - mista thug isolation
iamamiwhoami - kin
key nyata - tha phonkilation
thee oh sees - putrifiers ii

Flynn

If we ever have to reboot this thread I propose a "How to Metal" series of suggestions/guides. There's so much knowledge, passion and good taste in this thread.

fallout

If we ever have to reboot this thread I propose a "How to Metal" series of suggestions/guides. There's so much knowledge, passion and good taste in this thread.
Most of the new stuff that I've listened to in the past year or two has been a result of this thread.

I want to find some awesome ambient, brooding stuff similar to Summoner but with better PQ? I just can't stand how it sounds, the music is great but ugh @ the static. I'm a sucker for great PQ and when they literally sound like they recorded their stuff in the forests of Norway it's hard for my ears to take it.

I tend to go between fast and crazy stuff and really ambient, brooding and or depressing stuff so I'm trying to balance my tracklist a bit. Orchestral stuff is definitely a plus as well. Any suggestions are awesome :)

I want to find some awesome ambient, brooding stuff similar to Summoner but with better PQ? I just can't stand how it sounds, the music is great but ugh @ the static. I'm a sucker for great PQ and when they literally sound like they recorded their stuff in the forests of Norway it's hard for my ears to take it.

I tend to go between fast and crazy stuff and really ambient, brooding and or depressing stuff so I'm trying to balance my tracklist a bit. Orchestral stuff is definitely a plus as well. Any suggestions are awesome :)

Not sure if it's exactly what you want, but you could check out Wolves In The Throne Room and Altar Of Plagues.

Ravager61

Sunn O)))? Brooding, atmospheric, heavy as shit, and often incorporates orchestral elements. Especially on their latest album Monoliths and Dimensions.

They are probably my favorite band.

After looking up all those bands, the artwork for Timeghoul really grabbed my attention. It makes me want to listen to them...

Timeghoul%20cover.jpg

Timeghoul is fucking great. A really really obscure band, but they deserve a listen. Check out Creepmime as well.

our tastes in metal are exactly the same, and that's not stretching the truth one bit.

here are some of my favorite merch items to illustrate this:

120215_03.png

120215_01.png

that last one was a joke based on the subject of some guy trying to bootleg some RBC merch; never got to use it but there it is.

\m/ Hemklamp

I also think it's kinda weird how Autopsy - Mental Funeral is ranked on here, but Severed Survival (a much better album imo) doesn't show up at all.

I always go back and forth on this. I love Autopsy so fucking much that they're probably one of my top 3 death metal bands. Severed Survival and Mental Funeral are so different, yet are unmistakably Autopsy. I can see how Mental Funeral can out top Severed Survival since that album kind of sets the tone and dirtyness for the rest of their catalogue.

Sleepy

indeed, I'm actually blasting it at work at the moment. DEAD BY DAWN.

The opening/closing gates sound crushed me the first time I heard them. I had never heard anything like it. I think I first heard this album in 1991...still have it, still listen to it quite often.

MANSON!!!!!

Melchiah

In case someone over here is interested, some guy has uploaded our currently unavailable old album as a whole on YouTube, to which I have no objections. It's better that people can listen to it somewhere, rather than nowhere.

It's accompanied with quite amusing user comments, "- The first song sounds like gullum or however u spell it from lord of the rings makes me Laugh. - It's Gollum, with the letter "O", like LOL."

Black Dawn: Blood for Satan (2001)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvHJBlf2M4g

The opening/closing gates sound crushed me the first time I heard them. I had never heard anything like it. I think I first heard this album in 1991...still have it, still listen to it quite often.

MANSON!!!!!

DED-BY-DAH, DED-BY-DAH, DED-BY-DAAAAH.

just as awesome as John Tardy singing "Volleyball, join me, slowly we rot."

This would be awesome, but some math and logical progression shows how far off it is:

1. Threads get locked after 200 pages
2. This thread started in 2006
3. We are on page 96
4. The new metal thread shall rise sometime in 2019

At least that gives us plenty of time to make sure the OP is good

Kaladin

This would be awesome, but some math and logical progression shows how far off it is:

1. Threads get locked after 200 pages
2. This thread started in 2006
3. We are on page 96
4. The new metal thread shall rise sometime in 2019

At least that gives us plenty of time to make sure the OP is good

Which will be released first: The Metal Thread OT2 or Wintersun - Time 2?

Since Order From Chaos was mentioned... does anyone know what happened to the discography box-set Nuclear War Now was supposed to put out? I think they announced it in 2010 or something.

Currently listening to this awesome EP:

Also, if you want to check out the best Death Metal albums that aren't too famous, then you can choose the 'Esoteric' option, which is great for more experienced Death Metal fans...

For example:

ScreenShot2012-08-23at23046PM.png

ScreenShot2012-08-23at23113PM.png

But yeah, rateyourmusic is a great site that seems to help a lot of people find music a lot faster. Just thought I'd share in case you guys didn't know about it yet. No, I do not work for them. lol
The Disciples of Mockery album is great. It's basically a continuation of old Incantation by the Onward to Golgotha line-up minus John McEntee.

Btw, can tell someone me something about the following bands and project. Any (live) experience with them, what kind of styles do they play?

TULUS (Nor)
SETH (Fra)
THULCANDRA (Ger)
FUNERAL WINDS (Nld)
ONE TAIL, ONE HEAD (Nor)
ISVIND (Nor)
Tulus are pretty good. They have a bigger focus on the bass than most black metal bands.
Inskripsjon etter Jordferd
Samlerens Kammer
I haven't heard any of their newer albums so I can't comment on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom