• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahness

release date for the new Isis album (from isistheband.com - official website):

1/27/2009

ISIS - "Wavering Radiant" out May 5, 2009

Our 5th studio album entitled "Wavering Radiant" will be available on CD May 5th, 2009 (Ipecac). A super extra special vinyl edition will be available 2 weeks previous on April 21st. In the meantime stay tuned for some previews, both aural and visual, as well as some springtime USA tour dates.

Interview regarding new album here: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/isis-rides-the-wave-on-new-album-1003933334.story

My top 10 of 2008:
1 The Monolith Deathcult – Triumvirate
2 Darkspace – Dark Space III
3 Ihsahn - angL
4 Opeth – Watershed
5 Cult of Luna – Eternal Kingdom
6 Nachtmystium – Asssasins: Black Meddle Part 1
7 Hail of Bullets - …Of Frost and War
8 Septic Flesh - Communion
9 Coldworld – Melancholie2
10 Lifelover - Konkurs

I've gotta listen to that Krallice, sounds like something I would appreciate a lot.

Sandman42

What are you guys anticipating for 2009 in the world of Metal?

I'm hoping that Dream Theater's new album makes it out this year. On Mike Portnoy's website he said that he has already recorded the drum tracks for the new album. So hopefully that means we can see it before the end of the year.

Wintersun's Time could be out this year, but who knows. They've been working on that one forever.

I hope that they can get another Demons and Wizards album out this year too. One of my favourite side projects.

I don't know, what else is coming out?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
DanDeschain said:
I really like the new Mastodon single and can't wait for Crack the Skye.
I think I like this song more than anything from Blood Mountain, which I didn't really care for. Hopefully that's a good sign.

Ceres

Banned
Sandman42 said:
What are you guys anticipating for 2009 in the world of Metal?

New Orphaned Lane finally (along with their and Sabaton performances at PPUSA this year). Otherwise not sure as most bands I like are probably on schedule for a late 2009/early 2010 release.

Heaven and Hell, baby!

They kicked ass live, and while the new songs weren't really all that inspired, they were still sold. I have high hopes for the reunion album. Provided it does come out :p

Also, Wolves in the Throne Room have an EP out soon and an album to follow, and thus far I've loved everything so I have high hopes.

Thus far I've been fairly impressed by Fen's Malediction Fields. It might not tread that much new ground, but it's a nice take on the prog/post/black metal concept.

I personally hope we'll at least see news of a new Iron Maiden album, though I figure it won't be out until 2010.

Oh, and gotta second Orphaned Land's ORwarriOR (or however they capitalise it :p), Mabool was pretty awesome and I think they can really put out a massive album.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that Negura Bunget were planning an 09 release for their follow-up to Om, which couldn't possibly be anything but godlike.

Mayhem are kinda due for a new release too, aren't they?

The return of Dan Swano to growling on Obliterhate's album is something I'm really wanting to hear. The guy had some of the most accomplished death metal vocals I've ever heard and I was really sad when I found out he had quit with it after Crimson II. Hopefully this'll be a return to form.

2009 is going to be so awesome :D

Ravager61

NameGenerated said:
Cannibal Corpse's new album comes out in like 4 days...if anyone cares. :lol

I listened to about half of it before I got bored. But Cannibal Corpse is a band that ive never felt was all that interesting.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Ravager61 said:
Its really incredible. I've listened to it about 4 or 5 times now and it gets better with each listen.

Indeed. I was dubious that it would actually be as good as Memoria Vetusta I but it's in the same vein and truly feels like a successor.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Phobophile said:
Indeed. I was dubious that it would actually be as good as Memoria Vetusta I but it's in the same vein and truly feels like a successor.
I've only listened to it once so far, but yeah, I am quite impressed as well.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
PrinceAdam said:
http://headbangersblog.mtv.com/2009...children-of-bodom-god-forbid-municipal-waste/
This tour is coming by my town. For some reason Bodom isn't playing though. I don't really care too much, the only guys i give a shit about from there are Municipal waste.
Holy shit, they announced the TBA date and it is what I hoped, Richmond, VA. The home of Lamb of God AND Municipal Waste, meaning the show will be insane! I don't really give a fuck about Lamb of God but MUNICIPAL WASTE!!! and Bodom to boot, although I saw them in Sept. but I will gladly see them again.

Edit: Actually I'm not sure Bodom will be there, it just says LoG, God Forbid, and Municipal Waste on the site. Anyone know what the support rotation stuff is?

Edit2: After some research it appears every other show has all the bands there, I'd be mad if we get the shaft. I hope it's just the fact that the show announcement for Richmond is much later that all of the band sites just haven't updated.

Masenkame

I listened to the new Absu album and really enjoyed it. It's my first time listening to these guys, so now I have to check out the earlier albums.

Only Blut aus Nord album I own or have even listened to is Memoria Vetusta I, which is a magnificent album. Gave the new new album a listen, and I like it. They use some same and similar melodies on the album from the first Memoria Vetusta, especially on the keyboard. Makes me feel nostalgic for the first album.

I've been on a Scott Weinrich kick lately, and have been listening to Saint Vitus, Spirit Caravan, and The Hidden Hand. His new solo album is out, "Wino" is the name. Mr.Wino does it again with some really kickass music on the album. If you like doom/stoner you should check it out.

I'm not feeling the new Wolves in the Throne Room EP. I've loved all their work so far, but the EP is disappointing. I've only given it one listen so I have to check out again though. The production just sounds muted.

Esch

Banned
Masenkame said:
I listened to the new Absu album and really enjoyed it. It's my first time listening to these guys, so now I have to check out the earlier albums.

Only Blut aus Nord album I own or have even listened to is Memoria Vetusta I, which is a magnificent album. Gave the new new album a listen, and I like it. They use some same and similar melodies on the album from the first Memoria Vetusta, especially on the keyboard. Makes me feel nostalgic for the first album.

I've been on a Scott Weinrich kick lately, and have been listening to Saint Vitus, Spirit Caravan, and The Hidden Hand. His new solo album is out, "Wino" is the name. Mr.Wino does it again with some really kickass music on the album. If you like doom/stoner you should check it out.

I'm not feeling the new Wolves in the Throne Room EP. I've loved all their work so far, but the EP is disappointing. I've only given it one listen so I have to check out again though. The production just sounds muted.

The Work Which Transforms God is the best Blut Aus Nord album. Picking it up is a great idea.

Phobophile

EschatonDX said:
The Work Which Transforms God is the best Blut Aus Nord album. Picking it up is a great idea.

Ultima Thulée has become one of my favorite albums.

You pretty much can't go wrong with any BAN album, save MoRT or Odinist (although Odinist wasn't terrible).

Alivor

I've started to get back into metal and have been enjoying Winds of Plague, Despised Icon, Born of Osiris, and Whitechapel.

Esch

Banned
Alivor said:
I've started to get back into metal and have been enjoying Winds of Plague, Despised Icon, Born of Osiris, and Whitechapel.

;\

Phobophile said:
Ultima Thulée has become one of my favorite albums.

You pretty much can't go wrong with any BAN album, save MoRT or Odinist (although Odinist wasn't terrible).

Yeah, I'd agree.

MoRT really was a waste of everyone's time. I guess the new album's pretty sweet then, huh?

Masenkame said:

I love Absu - Tara. The drumming is insane! I need to hear the new one :D

Masenkame

EschatonDX said:

I've been meaning to listen to that album, seems generally very liked. Haven't listened to Ultima Thulée either which always seems to come up as their best album.

Alivor said:
Whitechapel is passable, have only listened to The Somatic Defilement. Not really into deathcore, but don't really have a problem with it unlike many metalheads. They have three guitarists which is strange, but I guess it works for them.

Despised Icon is good shit though. Didn't really give the band a chance at first, but now I really like their latest album. They have a great drummer, and I like the interplay between the hardcore/metalcore vocals and growls. The pig squeals are somewhat annoying, but if used sparsely, like in the song "In the Arms of Perdition", they work well.

Haven't listened to the other two bands.

Phobophile

Masenkame said:
I've been meaning to listen to that album, seems generally very liked. Haven't listened to Ultima Thulée either which always seems to come up as their best album.

Despised Icon is good shit though. Didn't really give the band a chance at first, but now I really like their latest album. They have a great drummer, and I like the interplay between the hardcore/metalcore vocals and growls. The pig squeals are somewhat annoying, but if used sparsely, like in the song "In the Arms of Perdition", they work well.

The Work Which Transforms God is a fantastic album if you like minimalism, dischord/dissonance, and a bit of industrial influence. I fucking love it. Ultima Thulée, although being blatant Burzum worship, holds up on its own. Great riffs, melodies, and solos. Vindisval is fucking talented.

Darko said:
Best Metal album of all time

Megadeth - Rust in Peace

Discuss.

*leaves thread*

nothing more to discuss other than it being Megadeth's best album and Marty Friedman is a god.

Saw Cynic last night in San Francisco, CA. They were freakin AMAZING. Waited 15 years for this. They played a good mix of the new album and stuff off of Focus. Paul Masvidal is a legato king. They were also being very receptive and responses the fan reaction/requests. Pretty amazing to see the whole place packed, but in awe and mesmerized when they played. Quite a surprise that there were LOTS of Cynic fans that night.

Meshuggah was awfully retarded as usual though.

and a crappy cell phone pic.
Cynic.jpg

NameGenerated

5zjjfc.jpg

Well that's pretty lame. I guess they want to give MW and LoG more time due to them both being from Richmond. Too bad it couldn't be Bodom instead of God Forbid. =\

I was at Priest Feast in Belfast tonight. I'm not a huge metal fan but Megadeth and Judas Priest were awesome, even if Halford had to sit down in a big chair for a few songs. And going up n down stairs in giant boots at his age must be a blast. :lol Megadeth played the hits and a few from their most recent, which I appreciated.

Testament were lol, too loud and shitty. Boy does their singer like to air guitar, it's actually pretty impressive.

NameGenerated

Well what did Testament play? Formation of Damnation is a pretty sick album. That sounded like a ridiculously awesome concert.

NameGenerated said:
Well what did Testament play? Formation of Damnation is a pretty sick album. That sounded like a ridiculously awesome concert.

Hell if I know. I don't know their work, place was like half empty when they were on, filled up for megadeth and priest. Their sound compared to the other two was poor, just a little bit too loud so it smashed into one sound.

FFChris

Did Megadeth play any new songs? They are in the studio recording at the moment, I thought they might bring out something new.

FFChris said:
Did Megadeth play any new songs? They are in the studio recording at the moment, I thought they might bring out something new.

01. Sleepwalker
02. Take No Prisoners
03. Wake Up Dead
04. Skin O' My Teeth
05. Washington Is Next
06. In My Darkest Hour
07. Hangar 18
08. Tornado of Souls
09. Symphony of Destruction
10. Peace Sells
---------------------
11. Holy Wars

Phobophile

WitTR won't top Diadem of 12 Stars.

First decent USBM? There are plenty of American bands far better than a Weakling clone. If you really want to hear some fantastic Weakling-esque BM, get Krallice's S/T. It was my #1 album of 2008.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Flynn said:
Woo. I just booked my Atlanta tickets for the Scion Rockfest. It's really happening.
Damn, I'm jealous. I wish I could go, but I'm going to SXSW and don't really have the means/resources to do both.

Rektash

Phobophile said:
WitTR won't top Diadem of 12 Stars.

First decent USBM? There are plenty of American bands far better than a Weakling clone. If you really want to hear some fantastic Weakling-esque BM, get Krallice's S/T. It was my #1 album of 2008.

The problem is: I don t like weakling at all, as most BM out there. WitTR is pretty much an exceptions for me. Just listened to some Krallice as well - it s not my kind of music (well of course there are some (nonsbm!)exceptions). I pretty much ignore all of the sorrounding ideology.

And sorry to tell you but Two Hunters already topped Diadem ;D.

Flynn

vatstep said:
Damn, I'm jealous. I wish I could go, but I'm going to SXSW and don't really have the means/resources to do both.

I hear you. Luckily, I have tons of banked Frequent Flyer miles and a good friend willing to put me up.

I'd love to go to SXSW, but I don't know anyone in Austin. Would be expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom