• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Flynn said:
Any other suggestions in the Krallice/Weakling/Nachtmystium/Wolves in the Throne Room vein?
I'm not a huge black metal fan, but in addition to enjoying the bands you mentioned, I really like Leviathan and Lurker of Challice (both are the same dude), Drudkh, and Blut aus Nord.

Mandewd said:
Some of the bands my Finnish friend turned me on to

Stratovarius-Visions1997.jpg

Stratovarius

epica.jpg

Epica

fallen_empire_cover_400.jpg

Altaria

kamelot-blackhalo.jpg

Kamelot

sirenia2004.jpg

Sirenia

sonata3946037hh.jpg

Sonata Arctica

...and say what you will about Nightwish, but I love them as well.

Well, at least Sirenia is good.

Their first album, at least.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Flynn said:
Any other suggestions in the Krallice/Weakling/Nachtmystium/Wolves in the Throne Room vein?

Well, Krallice = Deathspell Omega + Weakling/WitTR, so yeah try out DSO's Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice.

Flynn

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm a bit of a dilettante when it comes to black metal -- anything post 1995, really.

vatstep said:
I can't believe that I'm only just now discovering Obscura by Gorguts. This album is fucking unbelievable.

yea, it was a bit out there for its time. Seeing them perform this stuff live is a total mindfuck, especially when they had that super fat slob on guitar.

been listening to a lot of Cult of Luna lately and this relatively new band called Supercontinent. In the same vein as ISIS and Cult of Luna, but thicker and heavier:

6038175-60c.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/supercontinentisdrunk

oh, and the Boris Live Smile album is fucking amazing. AWESOME sound and replicates a Boris show faithfully. Floor Shaker is the most amazing song performed live on the album.

Guy

i've been pretty much absent from the metal scene lately...has anything good came out in the last two years that I could have missed? Here is what I listen to, if you guys have any suggestions...I need new bands.

acturus, winds, anathema, age of silence, agalloch, woods of ypres, vulture industries, therion, summoning, suidakra, subterranean masquerade, starofash, ihsahn, finsterforst, deadlock, buckethead.

thanks

Mandewd

Neo Member
Insane Metal said:
Well, at least Sirenia is good.

Their first album, at least.

Sirenia is by far the closest to death metal of those. Recently i've also been turned onto Theocracy (weird that a christian metal band is this good - if you like stratovarius, sonata arctica or altaria, you'll like these guys as well)

Just want to say that in the last few weeks I listened to Pantera's "Vulgar Display of Power" and "Cowboys from Hell" and they are awesome. I know, probably everybody knows them but whatever. The best heavy metal >1990 for me.

Flynn

Have you guys seen the line-up for the Scion Rockfest in Atlanta?

Kylesa also announced they are on board for the holy shit fest, I mean, the Scion Rock Fest at The Masquerade in Atlanta, GA on Feb 28th with Mastodon, Neurosis, High on Fire, Boris, 1349, Cryptopsy, Torche, Nachtmystium, Wolves in the Throne Room, Baroness, Harvey Milk, Zoroaster, Withered, Krallice, Toxic Holocaust, Skeletonwitch, Rwake, A Storm of Light, Warbringer, Salome, Suidakra, Tyr, and Alestorm. That shit is FREE. More info forthcoming.

Official site.

jex%20thoth-debut.jpg

show_album_picture.php

Jex Thoth/Totem

Killer doom/psych/folk stuff from the US. With a female vocalist that invoke the spirit of Ozzy Osbourne rather than Sarah Brightman, which I really appreciate. I have a hard time with many female metal vocalists, but this stuff is killer. Recommended for fans of 70's rock, because it really has an old-school sound. It's nothing brilliantly innovative, but both the debut album and the EP (as Totem) kick ass.

a543_2.JPG

Pagan Altar

Early doom/sabbathy stuff from the NWOBHM-scene, which to me was kind of a surprise since I associate that stuff with the likes of Priest/Maiden. Either way it's a killer album if you want some old-school heavy metal. Great, unique vocals and killer riffs.

83762.jpg
2005%20Demo.jpg

Wolves in the Throne Room - demos

I know WitTR get all kinds of cred in this thread, and I'm all for that, I've come to love both Diadem and Two Hunters, but I never heard about the demos until I stumbled upon their self-titled track on Youtube. And boy do they rule. If you like WitTR you owe it to yourselves to check this out.

Also, thanks for the Weakling recommendation, those guys rule.

54310c78ca0e834cdffa9c50a92ae7b7_full.jpg

Cynic - Traced in Air

I mentioned them before the album was released, and I saw them in December (opening for Opeth). The album ruled, they kicked massive amounts of progressive ass, and any fan of progressive/jazz-metal needs to check them out. Sean Reinert is hands down my favourite drummer after this album. The guy is insane and the album is tighter than [insert lewd comment]. It's a tad short at only 35 minutes, but it is a strong contender for my AOTY 2008 (with Watershed being the main competition).

Here's a vid from the Gothenburg gig, just listen to that guy go!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7FyO7VIZ7Q&feature=related

JimmyV

Banned
hhhmmm, so maybe I'll ask for a suggestion here: I need some good metal instramentals. Somthing along the lines of Orion, Call of Ktulu, Dream Theater's stuff, Manwar's Today is a Good Day to Die(and their others). Or heck, it doesnt even have to be!

I just need some good metal instramentals!! Help Gaf!

Flynn

Shrike_Priest said:
Wolves in the Throne Room - demos

I know WitTR get all kinds of cred in this thread, and I'm all for that, I've come to love both Diadem and Two Hunters, but I never heard about the demos until I stumbled upon their self-titled track on Youtube. And boy do they rule. If you like WitTR you owe it to yourselves to check this out.

Right on. I'll try to get my hands on those demos.

Southern Lord posted some Wolves in the Throne Room news: tour dates (mostly Europe), new logo and vinyl EP (CDs available on tour).

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
jimmbow said:
hhhmmm, so maybe I'll ask for a suggestion here: I need some good metal instramentals. Somthing along the lines of Orion, Call of Ktulu, Dream Theater's stuff, Manwar's Today is a Good Day to Die(and their others). Or heck, it doesnt even have to be!

I just need some good metal instramentals!! Help Gaf!
I assume you already have To Live is To Die?

Also I really hope we get to hear Wintersun's "Time" this fall. They've been working on it forever and have had so many technical difficulties. I read their website and posts from time to time and it's expected to be out this year but I hope nothing else bad happens.

Flynn said:
Have you guys seen the line-up for the Scion Rockfest in Atlanta?

Official site.

yea, fucking nuts. Better line up than what the last couple of SXSW's have been. I'm considering flying out there for that.

and its FREE.

Also listened to the new CYNIC album. Its good, but it doesnt blow me away like how Focus continually does to me.

Phobophile

Oh shit, I forgot to share my top 10 of 2008 with GAF:

1. Krallice - Krallice
2. Seamount - ntodrm
3. Cardiac Arrest - Cadaverous Presence
4. Human Mincer - Degradation Paradox
5. Enchanter - Defenders of the Realm
6. Abominable Putridity - In The End Of Human Existence (yeah it's a 2007 release but no one was able to get a hold of it until Jan 08)
7. Valkyrie - Man of Two Visions
8. Intestine Baalism - Ultimate Instinct
9. Ansur - Warring Factions
10. Demiurg - The Hate Chamber

Esch

Banned
How do you guys feel about Brutal Legend? Personally, I'm not a fan. I like Schaffer's games but as a tribute to metal i think it'll be one-sided and shallow, the game kind of already seems to focus only around 70's-80's metal/the typical guitar hero bands instead of giving a more comprehensive look at the genre.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Anyone else heard the new Khanate album? It's their final release. Not bad-- about what you would expect from them-- slow, violent, discordant. I still need to let it sink in more, but right now I would say it's probably one of their weaker offerings.

Flynn

EschatonDX said:
How do you guys feel about Brutal Legend? Personally, I'm not a fan. I like Schaffer's games but as a tribute to metal i think it'll be one-sided and shallow, the game kind of already seems to focus only around 70's-80's metal/the typical guitar hero bands instead of giving a more comprehensive look at the genre.

It's a good thing we don't depend on awesome, funny video games to serve as comprehensive expressions of all that metal has to offer.

Phobophile

Giant Robot said:
wtf Intestine Baalism released a new album?

Banquet in Darkness was a huge letdown for me.

You're fucking shitting me, right? Banquet in the Darkness is a death metal masterpiece.

Esch

Banned
Flynn said:
It's a good thing we don't depend on awesome, funny video games to serve as comprehensive expressions of all that metal has to offer.

Nah, but it would be awesome if we could.

Phobophile said:
You're fucking shitting me, right? Banquet in the Darkness is a death metal masterpiece.

maybe compared to other releases at the time, but Anatomy Of The Beast was a way better album imo. Banquet had Gothenburg written all over it, with the exception of the very last track on there. I believe that was one of their older songs, hence why it sounded totally different from the rest of the album.

Ravager61

Phobophile said:
Oh shit, I forgot to share my top 10 of 2008 with GAF:

1. Krallice - Krallice
2. Seamount - ntodrm
3. Cardiac Arrest - Cadaverous Presence
4. Human Mincer - Degradation Paradox
5. Enchanter - Defenders of the Realm
6. Abominable Putridity - In The End Of Human Existence (yeah it's a 2007 release but no one was able to get a hold of it until Jan 08)
7. Valkyrie - Man of Two Visions
8. Intestine Baalism - Ultimate Instinct
9. Ansur - Warring Factions
10. Demiurg - The Hate Chamber

Nice list. The only album on there that I don't really enjoy much is the new Demiurg one. I wasnt a huge fan of that.

Heres my list. This is off the top of my head so im sure im forgetting something.
1. Nachtmystium - Assasins
2. Krallice - Krallice
3. Cynic - Traced in Air
4. Behexen - My Soul for His Glory
5. Torche - Meanderthal
6. Mgla - Groza
7. Intestine Baalism - Ultimate Instinct
8. Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom
9. Grand Magus - Iron Will
10. Revelation - Release

Phobophile

Giant Robot said:
maybe compared to other releases at the time, but Anatomy Of The Beast was a way better album imo. Banquet had Gothenburg written all over it, with the exception of the very last track on there. I believe that was one of their older songs, hence why it sounded totally different from the rest of the album.

Banquet sounds like old Dismember with less groove and more blatant Japanese arena rock influence (they manage to put that in every single metal band). I can see how the harmonies would come off as Gothenburg-esque but I see the album as blatant Dismember worship.

Immortal_Daemon said:
LoG and CoB are two of my favorite bands.

The closest show is 7 hours away though. :(
Road trip man, I went 8 hours to see Judas Priest and Testament. It's worth it.

I saw a bunch of great shows this year

Origin+Cryptopsy
Alice Cooper
Misery Index/Soilent Green/Black Dahlia Murder
Hellacuast

Of all of them I's say Soilent green were the best live, So fucking groovy live!

Phobophile said:
Banquet sounds like old Dismember with less groove and more blatant Japanese arena rock influence (they manage to put that in every single metal band). I can see how the harmonies would come off as Gothenburg-esque but I see the album as blatant Dismember worship.

yea there are traces of Dismember in it. I actually felt Anatomy Of The Beast was Dismember/Iron Maiden worship

NameGenerated

So I just got Iced Earth's Alive in Athens because I'm an Iced Earth noob and it seemed like a good place to start. I already had Horror Show which is ok and Framing Armageddon, which I don't really like, I know it's Owens singing though. Anyways, I foolishly ordered the 2 disc edition, rather than the 3 disc one which was only like 5 dollars more. It's awesome so far but I was wondering if I am missing anything good that was on the 3rd disc? I'm kind of mad because now it feels incomplete. I already opened it though because I wasn't aware.

NameGenerated said:
So I just got Iced Earth's Alive in Athens because I'm an Iced Earth noob and it seemed like a good place to start. I already had Horror Show which is ok and Framing Armageddon, which I don't really like, I know it's Owens singing though. Anyways, I foolishly ordered the 2 disc edition, rather than the 3 disc one which was only like 5 dollars more. It's awesome so far but I was wondering if I am missing anything good that was on the 3rd disc? I'm kind of mad because now it feels incomplete. I already opened it though because I wasn't aware.

Night of the Stormride and the S/T is a good place to start. Super thrashy riffs and pretty technical riffing. It just gets more and more epic from there. Burnt Offerings and onwards was "ok" for me.

NameGenerated said:

Disc 3 isn't the best, you're missing Desert Rain but there aren't any more of the big hit IE songs on it.

I would suggest getting Days of Purgatory. It's the best collection of IE songs, personally. It has songs from their first three albums all redone with Barlow singing the songs that are from the first two albums
Of course I'd say you should listen to the original albums to hear the original singers, but Barlow's versions are superior.

NameGenerated

fistfulofmetal said:
Disc 3 isn't the best, you're missing Desert Rain but there aren't any more of the big hit IE songs on it.

I would suggest getting Days of Purgatory. It's the best collection of IE songs, personally. It has songs from their first three albums all redone with Barlow singing the songs that are from the first two albums
Of course I'd say you should listen to the original albums to hear the original singers, but Barlow's versions are superior.
Sounds cool, thanks! And I must say Travel in Stygian is badass and Dante's Inferno is epic as hell.

No pun intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom