• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

NEW NEUROSIS ALBUM ON OCTOBER 30TH

Track listing and artwork:

NR085_Neurosis_HonorFoundInDecay_Cover_lowres-e1346102310313.jpg

Honor Found In Decay Track Listing:

1. We All Rage In Gold

2. At The Well

3. My Heart For Deliverance

4. Bleeding The Pigs

5. Casting Of The Ages

6. All Is Found… In Time

7. Raise The Dawn

Press release:

Anticipation for Honor Found In Decay, the tenth studio album by NEUROSIS, is starting to intensify, as we count down the days until its North American release date on October 30th. Like an eclipse, a brand new NEUROSIS album is not a frequent occurrence and when it comes around, every last moment must be savored. For this momentous event, all the forces are aligned.

NEUROSIS forged the songs on Honor Found In Decay with the revered Steve Albini, marking their fifth collaboration with the engineer in their longstanding relationship. Their monolithic sound captured at Electrical Audio studios, Chicago, the seven tracks were then mastered by John Golden at Golden Mastering in Ventura, California.

Aesthetics have always been paramount for NEUROSIS and with Honor Found In Decay, Steve Von Till, Scott Kelly, Noah Landis, Jason Roeder and Dave Edwardson’s musical vision is brilliantly evoked by NEUROSIS‘ visual guru Josh Graham. And with that, we proudly unveil the cover art and track listing for this prodigious album, which is shaping up to be one of the biggest releases in the band’s extensive history.

NEUROSIS have been invited to perform at ATP’s Nightmare Before Christmas at Camber Sands Holiday Camp, England on November 30th through December 2nd, which Steve Albini’s band Shellac have been asked to curate. Keep your ears to the streets for a plethora of pending announcements on NEUROSIS in the weeks ahead including music from Honor Found In Decay, additional live appearances and more.

http://www.neurosis.com

http://www.facebook.com/officialneurosis

http://www.neurotrecordings.com

http://www.facebook.com/neurotrecordings

Dave Edwardson's reaction shot:

daveedwardsoniisgu.png

Ixion

So im a retard and didnt know that tool were very well known..whats the verdict GAF?

My favorite band. They pretty much have everything I could ask for in a band. They seem to getting a lot of hate recently though. Not sure why.

Maybe it's because they're taking an eternity to release their next album.

Although I'm sure some people here enjoy them, you're probably looking more for the prog rock thread for Tool love.

Why wouldn't they be Metal? Progressive/Alternative Metal is still Metal.

But then again, Tool is better than Metal. They transcend Metal. They have reached a level of musical existence we cannot fully understand.

Kaladin

My favorite band. They pretty much have everything I could ask for in a band. They seem to getting a lot of hate recently though. Not sure why.

But then again, Tool is better than Metal. They transcend Metal. They have reached a level of musical existence we cannot fully understand.

Not saying Tool wouldn't be metal, just saying there would probably be more Tool fans floating around in that thread.

Also, your last sentence is why Tool fans get a bad rap.

What's the best resource for keeping track of bands coming to your city? I barely go to concerts because I don't know a good place to look up what my options are.

Kaladin

What's the best resource for keeping track of bands coming to your city? I barely go to concerts because I don't know a good place to look up what my options are.

I like Facebook. Follow the bands you like on Facebook and follow the venues which book bands you like on Facebook.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Rofl. Yea ok.

*edit*
I really hope you did NOT come in this thread with that asinine comment. You just walked into a gunfight with a q tip.

Subprime

Tool is only for the enlightened. Once you're able to see what we see, you will understand.

Tool is an entry level band to underground metal. They took meshuggah and mastodon and isis on tour. They have utility in that, but beyond that they're just a slightly above average band that has good riffs, idiotic recording practices, overpriced live shows, and large amounts of filler songs in their albums.

Everything they do well is done better by neurosis, isis, alaskan, fall of efrafa, light bearer, mouth of the architect, milanku, envy, minsk, bossk, alpinist, old man gloom.

to name a few.

additionally, despite tool fans' perception that not many people like them, tool is hugely succesful financially and is a part of the majorlabel pyramid scheme. They collude with the enemy, and they will fail with them.

Not to mention they way overprice their albums by rediculous amounts.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Tool is an entry level band to underground metal. They took meshuggah and mastodon and isis on tour. They have utility in that, but beyond that they're just a slightly above average band that has good riffs, idiotic recording practices, overpriced live shows, and large amounts of filler songs in their albums.

Everything they do well is done better by neurosis, isis, alaskan, fall of efrafa, light bearer, mouth of the architect, milanku, envy, minsk, bossk, alpinist, old man gloom.

to name a few.

additionally, despite tool fans' perception that not many people like them, tool is hugely succesful financially and is a part of the majorlabel pyramid scheme. They collude with the enemy, and they will fail with them.

We dont get many of these instances in our humble thread. This is almost cathartic.

Subprime

For context, I have listened to tool more than any other band. I know this fucking band, I have listened to them to death. I cut my teeth on bass learning to play their songs.

Ixion

to name a few.

First of all, I was just having some fun with you guys.

And all you did was list a bunch of solid, but nothing special, Post-Metal/Sludge bands, most of which came after Tool. Neurosis is the only band that competes with Tool in terms of influence and originality. Isis comes close too.

The rest of what you mentioned is miscellaneous stuff that doesn't matter.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
First of all, I was just having some fun with you guys.

And all you did was list a bunch of solid, but nothing special, Post-Metal/Sludge bands, most of which came after Tool. Neurosis is the only band that competes with Tool in terms of influence and originality. Isis comes close too.

The rest of what you mentioned is miscellaneous stuff that doesn't matter.

0073_1nbe.gif

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
You got me.

By the way, some of those bands have nothing to do with Tool. For example, Envy is good, but they have nothing to do with Tool.

You have absolutely zero clue of what you're arguing about. I've been in this scene for twenty years and almost every one of the guys who posts in this thread is more informed then i am.

Ixion

Whatever you're taking. Please hook me up.

Another ad hominem.

Look, this won't go anywhere. I like Tool and I also like most of the bands he listed and a lot of other underground bands. But Tool is a popular band and popular bands will always polarize.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Another ad hominem.

Look, this won't go anywhere. I like Tool and I also like most of the bands he listed and a lot of other underground bands. But Tool is a popular band and popular bands will always polarize.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Tool transcends metal? and is BETTER than metal? Youre fucking high.

Ixion

Ixion, I found it funny...surely you other guys knew what he was doing?

The fact they thought I was serious shows how delusional some Tool fans can be I suppose. lol

Anyway, I'm currently in the middle of Dave Mustaine's autobiography. Definitely interesting and well paced. When he told how he was kicked out of Metallica though, the story seemed suspicisously one-sided. He basically said they kicked him out for partying a little too much. I'd like to hear the other side.

jmdajr

Is it just me, or do the metal stations on sirius xm need a bit more bass in the mix?

Um.. Sounded ok in the car. It's new, so I have not compared a lot of stuff.
You know am, fm, satellite, cd, aux for zune hd :)
Don't know what compression they use and all that jazz.

Kaladin

Um.. Sounded ok in the car. It's new, so I have not compared a lot of stuff.
You know am, fm, satellite, cd, aux for zune hd :)
Don't know what compression they use and all that jazz.

It's new to me too......only had satellite radio for about 4 months now and I've just noticed the metal stations lack bass vs the other stations.....maybe it's just my listening preference though since I enjoy a bit more low end in my metal.

Ixion

I enjoy a bit more low end in my metal.

Same here. Metal is all about power, so the low end needs to be strong.

Also, do you guys use one of the equalizers for your iTunes or iPod? I've had it off this entire time, and only a month or so ago did I try using "Rock", and it gives Metal so much more power.

Thoughts?

jmdajr

It's new to me too......only had satellite radio for about 4 months now and I've just noticed the metal stations lack bass vs the other stations.....maybe it's just my listening preference though since I enjoy a bit more low end in my metal.

I guess just turn up da bass, but it's going to mess up all the other stations...and you'll have to lower it again.

I always do my EQ in a V shape. Perfect for metal in my opinion. It gets a little too much is you EQ the mp3 player AND the car stereo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom