• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager61

But do you actually like the music? I don't think I've ever used that reasoning to like a band. I either like the songs/sound of the band or not.

Oh of course. Black metal is my favorite sub-genre of metal. I like the music first and foremost. The imagery is just peripheral but I do enjoy that aspect as well.

I'm not one of the purists that thinks black metal must have satanic imagery to be considered black metal. Most of my favorite bands have nothing to do with that aspect. I'm just saying why I enjoy that aspect of the music when it pops up.

jmdajr

I'll flip it around, when I found out I liked certain bands making Christian Metal I was kind of debating wether to stop listening to them. As a convinced Atheist I figured I shouldn't be listening to Christian music.

In the end however I figured it doesn't really matter. Bands being pasionate about things I don't care for doesn't affect the music they produce and as long as the lyrics aren't overly preachy I'll like it all the same.

That's kind of funny you bring that up. I almost didn't want to like As I Lay Dying because of it.
Never as a child did I ever think I'd be ashamed of listening to Christian music!

I'm over that now though. Same reason, try to focus on the music/sound.

spink

I've always found the idea of christian metal hilarious.
the subject matter just isn't conducive the the aggressive nature of the music.
you love god, no need to write a bunch of terrible songs about it.

jmdajr

Well I think some bands just happen to be Christian, but don't sing about anything biblical.
Austrian Death Machine is a christian dude, and every song is about Arnold movies.
Even Tom Araya believes in God.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't find metal to be aggressive per se. I would sooner call it energetic.

For me personally, metal calms me down more then it riles me up, if that makes sense. Whenever I was studying for a big test or something I'd put on the hardest metal I had.

Maybe I'm just weird.

Point is, I don't find it weird that there's Christian Metal. As said, it's just a band playing their favorite music and using it to express their passion for something. Doesn't really matter what that passion is, even if it is religion.

jmdajr

For me personally, metal calms me down more then it riles me up, if that makes sense. Whenever I was studying for a big test or something I'd put on the hardest metal I had.

Maybe I'm just weird.

Point is, I don't find it weird that there's Christian Metal. As said, it's just a band playing their favorite music and using it to express their passion for something. Doesn't really matter what that passion is, even if it is religion.

I'm a pretty laid back dude and people are shocked when they find out what I listen to. Seems people think you have to be all deranged like Andrew W K (cool dude) to listen to it. So I hear ya, sometimes I can just chill listening to the music, no matter how heavy. But sure... if I am working out, at a show, or driving on the highway..I might get a little pumped if you know what I mean.

I like that word..energetic. Which would explain my 2nd love for pop and electronic music.

Greg

The lyrical content doesn't change the music though.

If the lyrics click with me then it definitely enhances the experience, but they always take the back seat against the music (especially in metal). I don't care what the band looks like or represents - if the music is good, then the music is good.

Maybe I'm just weird.

Yeah, I don't always associate it with aggression. I can work out to it, but I can also fall asleep to it.

Ixion

Wanted to start up a little conversion. How do you all feel about listening to "Blasphemous" music? These days I'm pretty much agnostic but I grew up Catholic and went to said schools all my life. Me and my friend grow up listening to metal and as the usual progression, the stuff got heavier and heavier. You start off listening to Guns n Roses and move on to Metallica and so on. I remember the first time he showed me his Deicide CD and I freaked. This was no "satanic" band like Ozzy or Motley Crue supposedly were. This was the real deal. You had a dude with an upside crucifix on his forehead and CD linear notes with a disemboweled Lord an Savior Jesus Christ! I was most assured my friend would be going to hell.

So years passed, went on to college and become more open minded. I was shocked to discover there was actually non-blasphemous Death Metal, but even so I thought bands like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir were too cool to pass up. I was even more open to bands like Slayer which I had previously ignored for being TOO evil. I listened to them without too much guilt. But these days, eh I don't know what I feel. I don't feel bad per se but I do know some legit Christians who are actually wonderful folks and are (gasp)*...tolerant of OTHER PEOPLE! So while I think Religion is a perfectly fine target to expose hypocrisy, kinda feel weird about the bashing of the good people I know. But anyway, it's not like a band such as Kiss were very Christian. Every single song they ever wrote was about fucking women. Plus lots of the bands are all show.

Anyways, thoughts?

still don't listen to Deicide!

As others have said, if the music is good, then I'll enjoy it.

The miscellaneous aspects of a band can make me interested in hearing their music, such as Mayhem's shenanigans for De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and what not. But in terms of actually enjoying the music, that's different.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
You could make the same argument the other way around. You love Satan? No need to write a bunch of terrible songs about it. It's all subjective. Christian metal is like any other genre, there's good and bad.

Just ask Black Sabbath, who started the genre of Christian Metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luhQjFX5h6Y

Flynn

You could make the same argument the other way around. You love Satan? No need to write a bunch of terrible songs about it. It's all subjective. Christian metal is like any other genre, there's good and bad.

Just ask Black Sabbath, who started the genre of Christian Metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luhQjFX5h6Y

Can you think of another genre of music that relies on transgression so much? I think it is difficult to make metal that doesn't, at least a little, touch on those themes. Christian metal, which is inherently conformist, has a really difficult time not rubbing up against that problem.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Can you think of another genre of music that relies on transgression so much? I think it is difficult to make metal that doesn't, at least a little, touch on those themes. Christian metal, which is inherently conformist, has a really difficult time not rubbing up against that problem.
How is it conformist? The fact that they buck the trend on what metal usually tends to be is rebellious to me, not conformist. Metal is defined by a style of music (and there are so many different styles that yo could argue that even that's not true), not lyrical content or themes. Trying to restrict that lyrical content or theme to a set amount is conformist. Christian Metal has been around for decades, has multiple artists, and many fans. Who is anyone to discredit them, especially when there are so many damn styles of metal already? If the founders of metal had no problem playing it, then how can anyone discredit it?

Flynn

How is it conformist? The fact that they buck the trend on what metal usually tends to be is rebellious to me, not conformist. Metal is defined by a style of music (and there are so many different styles that yo could argue that even that's not true), not lyrical content or themes. Trying to restrict that lyrical content or theme to a set amount is conformist. Christian Metal has been around for decades, has multiple artists, and many fans. Who is anyone to discredit them, especially when there are so many damn styles of metal already? If the founders of metal had no problem playing it, then how can anyone discredit it?

It is conformist in that Christianity has been a major force over culture, life and politics for 2000 years.

I usually do not pay attention to the lyrics and the themes of bands. So I don't really mind what the ideology of the band is and whether it comes across in the music. Mostly I'm unaware of/uninterested in their ideology. But I would listen to a band even if I know that their ideology clashes with mine (and I do). Anti-religious/blasphemous themes are fair game to me, and I will tolerate racist/fascist themes (in music). I'm also under the impression that racist/fascist bands usually don't make very good music, at least not my tastes. Temnozor is nice though.

However, I got to say that I like occult/blasphemous themes, especially in BM. And sometimes they really add something, the lyrical themes of Si Momentum Requires, Circumspice really help further developing its evil and hateful atmosphere.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It is conformist in that Christianity has been a major force over culture, life and politics for 2000 years.
How does that negate Christian Metal? I'm really not following here. Most metal reflects some part of major cultural themes, be they political or religious. I mean, most bands that sing about the occult are simply borrowing their themes from old Medieval writings and art.

Like I said, Sabbath started Christian Metal (or at least, made a metal song that was Christian). Are you saying it's not metal? Metal is a style of MUSIC, regardless of theme or lyrical content.

Flynn

How does that negate Christian Metal? I'm really not following here. Most metal reflects some part of major cultural themes, be they political or religious. I mean, most bands that sing about the occult are simply borrowing their themes from old Medieval writings and art.

Like I said, Sabbath started Christian Metal (or at least, made a metal song that was Christian). Are you saying it's not metal? Metal is a style of MUSIC, regardless of theme or lyrical content.

When you put Christian themes in metal it is still metal, but it is compromised metal. Hell, all rock music had roots in spirituals, but what made the blues and rock music transgressive was its embracing of the secular and the sinful. It was what made the music dangerous and lively.

Christian music is not dangerous. If it is metal it may sound dangerous, but it that is only it is coopting a dangerous means of expression for its conformist message.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
When you put Christian themes in metal it is still metal, but it is compromised metal. Hell, all rock music had roots in spirituals, but what made the blues and rock music transgressive was its embracing of the secular and the sinful. It was what made the music dangerous and lively.

Christian music is not dangerous. If it is metal it may sound dangerous, but it that is only it is coopting a dangerous means of expression for its conformist message.
I'm sorry, but that's just silly as hell to me. Music is an expression of your thoughts and feelings. That's all. You want to talk about Christianity? Then, go ahead.

A song like Penny Lane by the Beatles isn't dangerous, but it has every right to be a rock song. Your viewpoint is also incredibly small minded and ignorant. I'm from Iraq, and playing a Christian song there, let alone a Christian Metal song, could get you killed.

That's dangerous.

Flynn

I'm from Iraq, and playing a Christian song there, let alone a Christian Metal song, could get you killed.

That's dangerous.

You're right about that.

Where I'm from Christian anything is the safest, and honestly, most boring thing you can do. Your mileage certainly varies in that regard.

Greg

Sorry, I'm just not following you here at all.

Ignore the religious aspect then - how do you feel about lyrical themes in metal that are positive/uplifting? Is that also "compromised"?

edit: I have to go for most of the night, but I'll be back later if the discussion is still going on

SoulPlaya

more money than God
You're right about that.

Where I'm from Christian anything is the safest, and honestly, most boring thing you can do. Your mileage certainly varies in that regard.
You understand now why I say it's subjective? You may not like it, but it's metal, and it's not compromised.

EDIT: The objective standard in metal is how the music is played (the instruments), not the lyrical themes.

I doubt you will find anyone who will agree with everything, as is usual with lists. At looking at the bands, I don't think it's "our" kind of music. It's definitely not mine, but let's say something about it other than WHY IS X NOT THERE, LIST AM FAIL

Firstly, if they are making a list of riffs, why the hell don't they give links to every song? It's kind of baffling.

The piece about Ghost makes me rolls my eyes . I like Ghost and I really liked their live performance last year. But I fail to see how they are supposed to be so special.

Ghost – "Elizabeth"
The foreboding, relentless guitar sorcery here elevates Ghost to a level of sonic witchcraft few ever reach. It's a frighteningly catchy little tribute to Elizabeth Bathory that provides a front row seat to her madness. Even a pact with Satan couldn't yield playing this incredible…It must be something else. Or maybe it is. We'll never know, and that's why Ghost fucking rules. [RF]

And some choice quotes
Metallica - "My Apocalypse", the finale of Metallica's 2008 masterpiece, Death Magnetic,
All of the competition has been burned down to the ground at the end, and Metallica remain victorious once again. Hail the lords of the riff…

Slipknot - The catchy, yet extremely heavy song will satisfy the angst of anyone who will listen

BfMV - Tuck and Paget need to be regarded in the same breath as the best for keeping metal alive

And why no did they pick for Gojira something from L'Enfaunt Sauvage and not the superior From Mars to Sirius?

And I actually listened to the Slipknot and BfMV songs. Strafer, What have you done to me? The first minute of BfMV was okay though.

Flynn

Sorry, I'm just not following you here at all.

Ignore the religious aspect then - how do you feel about lyrical themes in metal that are positive/uplifting? Is that also "compromised"?

No, because these messages are typically being directed at the outsider. "Wasted Years" is a super-positive song, but the implication, because the song is being delivered by Iron Maiden at a loud volume and not some other method, is that the message is intended for a particular audience.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
No, because these messages are typically being directed at the outsider. "Wasted Years" is a super-positive song, but the implication, because the song is being delivered by Iron Maiden at a loud volume and not some other method, is that the message is intended for a particular audience.
"Outsider"? What?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
That is EXACTLY the opposite of what I said.

I'm sorry I got wrapped up in this with you. I apologize for taking the debate bait. Please have a lovely life.
I was asking a legitimate question. It's tough following you in this debate.

But thanks, and you too!

ManeKast

Just impulse purchased the new Ensiferum CD. The cover art got me combined with mentions here. Good starting point? Heard no previous entries. Cant wait.

(PS: Loved metal since the 80s. Really love folk/power metal, traditional metal and black metal {darkthrone, moonsorrow, enslaved}).

Greg

Metalheads are a group outside of nearly every societal norm.
I guess you're just taking the idea of a metal listener to an extreme. I look at metal as another genre of music, and you seem to think it represents something beyond that (which is perfectly fine).

spink

The lyrical content doesn't change the music though.

If the lyrics click with me then it definitely enhances the experience, but they always take the back seat against the music (especially in metal). I don't care what the band looks like or represents - if the music is good, then the music is good.

the lyrics are part of the music and if the lyrics are bad, I'm put off the music.
and lyrics in any christian music is inherently bad, so I don't like it.

Greg

the lyrics are part of the music and if the lyrics are bad, I'm put off the music.
and lyrics in any christian music is inherently bad, so I don't like it.
What if the words aren't clearly sung/screamed (common in metal, which is why I said especially this genre), but the instruments and vocal arrangement are to your liking?

It's one thing to not give a band a chance because of their image/what they represent, but to automatically dismiss your prior enjoyment just because you discover later that the lyrics revolve around a specific theme just baffles me on another level.

CONVERGE - ALL WE LOVE WE LEAVE BEHIND

Converge-All-That-You-Leave-Behind-cover.jpg

First single:
Aimless Arrow

BNM'd on Pitchfork. Coming October 9.

yay! :D

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Already posted. :)

It's alright; reminds me a bit of their You Fail Me material. I love that album now, but it took a while for it to grow on me.

Just impulse purchased the new Ensiferum CD. The cover art got me combined with mentions here. Good starting point? Heard no previous entries. Cant wait.

(PS: Loved metal since the 80s. Really love folk/power metal, traditional metal and black metal {darkthrone, moonsorrow, enslaved}).

Yeah for sure. Their first album and Iron are must haves too.

jmdajr

I guess you're just taking the idea of a metal listener to an extreme. I look at metal as another genre of music, and you seem to think it represents something beyond that (which is perfectly fine).

For some people it's a way of life. You you against the mainstream, against the man, maybe be a little anti-social. Can't say I've ever been like that. Just really loved the music. It just so happens it's not liked by the masses.
(I was really super anti-MTV for awhile, but that's because they stopped playing the music I liked!)

As far as lyrics go, I hardly ever focus on them. I might know the choruses and all that, but I never look deep into the meaning of them or anything. Heck there are some bands which I love where I don't know the lyrics for practically any song. Cradle of Filth anyone?

spink

What if the words aren't clearly sung/screamed (common in metal, which is why I said especially this genre), but the instruments and vocal arrangement are to your liking?

It's one thing to not give a band a chance because of their image/what they represent, but to automatically dismiss your prior enjoyment just because you discover later that the lyrics revolve around a specific theme just baffles me on another level.

I can't say I've ever enjoyed a band and found out later that they were a christian band and then not liked them anymore.

Cradle of Filth anyone?

they're terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom