• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

I guess just turn up da bass, but it's going to mess up all the other stations...and you'll have to lower it again.

I always do my EQ in a V shape. Perfect for metal in my opinion. It gets a little too much is you EQ the mp3 player AND the car stereo.

I don't think it is the EQ, it's the station. It always has less low end than the others in my experience....and in my car at least, the bass is all the way up.

spink

Same here. Metal is all about power, so the low end needs to be strong.

Also, do you guys use one of the equalizers for your iTunes or iPod? I've had it off this entire time, and only a month or so ago did I try using "Rock", and it gives Metal so much more power.

Thoughts?

flat eq for me thanks. messing with the eq is like adding salt to a chef's food.

loving Leviathan atm
http://youtu.be/s3-tTeKBuog
Massive Conspiracy Against All Life is a colossal album

Ixion

flat eq for me thanks. messing with the eq is like adding salt to a chef's food.

Understandable. But damn, listen to Meshuggah and switch between Flat and Rock. They sound so much more badass with the Rock EQ.

I tried it out with a lot of different music, and for me at least, it either didn't make a difference or it made the band more enjoyable.

spink

Understandable. But damn, listen to Meshuggah and switch between Flat and Rock. They sound so much more badass with the Rock EQ.

I tried it out with a lot of different music, and for me at least, it either didn't make a difference or it made the band more enjoyable.

not really a fan of Meshuggah.

jmdajr

So I got this amazon coupon.
3.00 off any 5.99+ mp3 album.

Any recommendations welcome!

Hooray I used the damn coupon properly this time. Got this.

Pure_Holocaust.jpg

Also had not realized, but they are now taxing digital downloads. Ain't that some shit.

Hooray I used the damn coupon properly this time. Got this.

Pure_Holocaust.jpg

Also had not realized, but they are now taxing digital downloads. Ain't that some shit.

Good pick up. Their best work imo. Glacial riffs!

Check out Throne of Ahaz's "Nifelheim". Similar to that Immortal's "Pure Holocaust" in terms of riffing and production.

Ixion

I want to agree, but your audio setup is already coloring the sound as it is. Not really any harm in tweaking it a bit more to your liking.

That's a good point. I play my music via many different setups (headphones, computer speakers, car stereo, bathroom stereo, living room stereo, etc). Each setup sounds a bit different than the other, so it's not like if I leave the EQ on Flat, I'll be experiencing the music exactly as intended.

Kaladin

The final set list for Metallica's 3D movie is......

"Creeping Death"
"For Whom the Bell Tolls"
"Fuel"
"Ride the Lightning"
"One"
"Cyanide"
"The Memory Remains"
"Wherever I May Roam"
"Sad But True"
"Welcome Home (Sanitarium)"
" . . . And Justice for All"
"Fade to Black"
"Master of Puppets"
"Battery"
"Nothing Else Matters"
"Enter Sandman"
"Hit the Lights"
"Seek & Destroy"

That's really about the best Metallica concert you could hope for. I'd probably replace Cyanide with something else from Death Magnetic though.....and I don't know if I'd want Blackened or Justice.

strafer

The final set list for Metallica's 3D movie is......

"Creeping Death"
"For Whom the Bell Tolls"
"Fuel"
"Ride the Lightning"
"One"
"Cyanide"
"The Memory Remains"
"Wherever I May Roam"
"Sad But True"
"Welcome Home (Sanitarium)"
" . . . And Justice for All"
"Fade to Black"
"Master of Puppets"
"Battery"
"Nothing Else Matters"
"Enter Sandman"
"Hit the Lights"
"Seek & Destroy"

That's really about the best Metallica concert you could hope for. I'd probably replace Cyanide with something else from Death Magnetic though.....and I don't know if I'd want Blackened or Justice.

No Blackened.

Worst setlist ever.

The album goes to some crazy places. First 5 tracks are my kinda stuff. 'Retribution Shall Be Mine' sounds like a really weird incarnation of 'Deathbringer From The Sky' for those who remember that one from Victory Songs. 'Last Breath' and 'Pohjola' are really cool in their own ways.

That 17 minute track... So many awesome parts but so many weird parts.

Either way, it's awesome to see them branch out.

jmdajr

Good pick up. Their best work imo. Glacial riffs!

Pure Holocaust has been a good listen. A lot more varied than I'd thought it be. The only other one I have that is pre-At The Heart of Winter is Battles in the North and that seems very samey throughout. Except for "Blashyrkh (Mighty Ravendark), which rules...

Flynn

I got into Sol Invictus due a metal band too, though much more indirectly. I'm quite fond of them, though I primarily listen to just two albums: In the Rain and The Blade. I especially like In the Rain, with An English Garden and The World Shrugged.

What are your favourites?

I'm still wading through a bunch of their stuff. I put Spotify on and just let it roll while I'm playing Guild Wars 2. I really like the stuff that feels really pagan and earthy.

I guess this means I need to start exploring Death in June.

choodi

Banned
Pure Holocaust has been a good listen. A lot more varied than I'd thought it be. The only other one I have that is pre-At The Heart of Winter is Battles in the North and that seems very samey throughout. Except for "Blashyrkh (Mighty Ravendark), which rules...

I always loved going through Immortal lyrics to see how many awesome words they could make up. Words like frostdemonstorm.

Funniest band ever.

Subprime

You got me.

By the way, some of those bands have nothing to do with Tool. For example, Envy is good, but they have nothing to do with Tool.

I mean that the aspects of tool that are good overlap with the euro crust / post metal / sludge stuff.

oh also just got back from toronto with a load of albums.

Minutemen- double nickels
minor threat - out of step
damages - unrequieted + split with book of caverns
greys - 10"
big black - songs about fucking
shellac - terraforming
neurosis - enemy of the sun repress (Its so much, but what the fuck, they deserve the money) (YOU KNOW THIS FUCKING BAND)
black sabbath - vol. 4 (THIS ONE TOO)
lightbearer - 12" split with northless (UK POST METAL / SLUDGE, INDIVIDUAL PARTS NOT NOTEWORTHY, BUT BAND AS A WHOLE IS LEAGUES AHEAD OF MOST OTHER BANDS IN THEIR FIELD)
fugazi - end hits
biipiigwan - split ep (CD) (OTTAWA SLUDGE)
alaskan - weak and the wounded (OTTAWA SLUDGE/ POST METAL, HEAVY POWERVIOLENCE INFLUENCE)

Subprime

The fact they thought I was serious shows how delusional some Tool fans can be I suppose. lol

Anyway, I'm currently in the middle of Dave Mustaine's autobiography. Definitely interesting and well paced. When he told how he was kicked out of Metallica though, the story seemed suspicisously one-sided. He basically said they kicked him out for partying a little too much. I'd like to hear the other side.

Completely valid reason to kick someone out of a band. I will never make music with drug addicts. Unless youre as good as fucking hendrix I have almost zero tolerance for drug use outside of alchohol and pot (and maybe some psychadelics). I would never be friends with a drunk or a drug addict anyway so it doesn't really affect me that much.

Kaladin

Sunn O))) got a write up in The Wall Street Journal of all places:

Sunn O)))
Warsaw

261 Driggs Ave., Brooklyn

(718) 387-0505

Sunday

In 1998, two guitarists based in Seattle, Stephen O'Malley and Greg Anderson, scrapped their heavy doom-metal bands in favor of something even heavier, calling the new project Sunn O)))—the "O" and parenthetical vibrations are silent, referring to a particular brand of guitar amplifier. Imagine Tony Ionni's first droning power chord on Black Sabbath's 1970 debut, "Black Sabbath," only without the backing band and singer Ozzy Osbourne, and that note stretched out over 10 minutes, and you'll have an idea of what Sunn O))) sounds like. Rather than simply revere and slow down heavy metal, Sunn O))) also emphasizes spectacle, performing in monk robes and filling concert venues with dry-ice fog to the point of blindness. On Sunday the group headlines the Power of the Riff Festival, and even if you can't see it through the fog, you'll feel each glacial riff in your internal organs.

Yes, they wrote Ionni in The Wall Street Journal.

Ixion

So what do guys think of Coheed's new music video, Domino The Destitute? It's one of their heavier songs, so I felt it was appropriate to post.

It's an 8 minute song, but it's worth it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRoN4_kG6XM

It sounds like classic Coheed songwriting with new Coheed production. Basically, it's very good IMO.

Flynn

So what do guys think of Coheed's new music video, Domino The Destitute? It's one of their heavier songs, so I felt it was appropriate to post.

It's an 8 minute song, but it's worth it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRoN4_kG6XM

It sounds like classic Coheed songwriting with new Coheed production. Basically, it's very good IMO.

I am not crazy about them, but they covered Dio when they opened for Iron Maiden so they get major points for that.

Aiii

So not worth it
Seems to be even more mellow then the last album. Certainly lacking the energy that made ATR good. I hope this track is an exception from the rest of the album, but I'm kinda afraid that is futile hope from my part.

strafer

Seems to be even more mellow then the last album. Certainly lacking the energy that made ATR good. I hope this track is an exception from the rest of the album, but I'm kinda afraid that is futile hope from my part.

Last album wasn't mellow.

jmdajr

Wanted to start up a little conversion. How do you all feel about listening to "Blasphemous" music? These days I'm pretty much agnostic but I grew up Catholic and went to said schools all my life. Me and my friend grow up listening to metal and as the usual progression, the stuff got heavier and heavier. You start off listening to Guns n Roses and move on to Metallica and so on. I remember the first time he showed me his Deicide CD and I freaked. This was no "satanic" band like Ozzy or Motley Crue supposedly were. This was the real deal. You had a dude with an upside crucifix on his forehead and CD linear notes with a disemboweled Lord an Savior Jesus Christ! I was most assured my friend would be going to hell.

So years passed, went on to college and become more open minded. I was shocked to discover there was actually non-blasphemous Death Metal, but even so I thought bands like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir were too cool to pass up. I was even more open to bands like Slayer which I had previously ignored for being TOO evil. I listened to them without too much guilt. But these days, eh I don't know what I feel. I don't feel bad per se but I do know some legit Christians who are actually wonderful folks and are (gasp)*...tolerant of OTHER PEOPLE! So while I think Religion is a perfectly fine target to expose hypocrisy, kinda feel weird about the bashing of the good people I know. But anyway, it's not like a band such as Kiss were very Christian. Every single song they ever wrote was about fucking women. Plus lots of the bands are all show.

Anyways, thoughts?

still don't listen to Deicide!

Ravager61

I just have no love for organized religion in general. I enjoy listening to the overtly blasphemous stuff because it actively pisses off the crazy devout people.

Watevaman

I listen to stuff like Meads of Asphodel and others that are pretty open in their anti-religion meanings. I also listen to stuff like Absurd, despite it being against my beliefs, mainly because the music is just so damn good.

jmdajr

I just have no love for organized religion in general. I enjoy listening to the overtly blasphemous stuff because it actively pisses off the crazy devout people.

But do you actually like the music? I don't think I've ever used that reasoning to like a band. I either like the songs/sound of the band or not.

And I would never listen to racist music. That's just a given. Be shameful if anyone here does.

Subprime

Wanted to start up a little conversion. How do you all feel about listening to "Blasphemous" music? These days I'm pretty much agnostic but I grew up Catholic and went to said schools all my life. Me and my friend grow up listening to metal and as the usual progression, the stuff got heavier and heavier. You start off listening to Guns n Roses and move on to Metallica and so on. I remember the first time he showed me his Deicide CD and I freaked. This was no "satanic" band like Ozzy or Motley Crue supposedly were. This was the real deal. You had a dude with an upside crucifix on his forehead and CD linear notes with a disemboweled Lord an Savior Jesus Christ! I was most assured my friend would be going to hell.

So years passed, went on to college and become more open minded. I was shocked to discover there was actually non-blasphemous Death Metal, but even so I thought bands like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir were too cool to pass up. I was even more open to bands like Slayer which I had previously ignored for being TOO evil. I listened to them without too much guilt. But these days, eh I don't know what I feel. I don't feel bad per se but I do know some legit Christians who are actually wonderful folks and are (gasp)*...tolerant of OTHER PEOPLE! So while I think Religion is a perfectly fine target to expose hypocrisy, kinda feel weird about the bashing of the good people I know. But anyway, it's not like a band such as Kiss were very Christian. Every single song they ever wrote was about fucking women. Plus lots of the bands are all show.

Anyways, thoughts?

still don't listen to Deicide!

Many people, myself included, think that most established/organized religions no longer provide any net benefit to society. Like major labels, conservative / fascistic governments, multinational corporations, etc, they are institutions that serve to exploit and control. They need to be torn down and destroyed. I don't care if you're a "good person" if you vote for a fascist, you're contributing to something evil. This applies to religion and to music as well.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'll flip it around, when I found out I liked certain bands making Christian Metal I was kind of debating wether to stop listening to them. As a convinced Atheist I figured I shouldn't be listening to Christian music.

In the end however I figured it doesn't really matter. Bands being pasionate about things I don't care for doesn't affect the music they produce and as long as the lyrics aren't overly preachy I'll like it all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom