• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already posted. :)

It's alright; reminds me a bit of their You Fail Me material. I love that album now, but it took a while for it to grow on me.

oh shit, really? I skimmed the last few pages. Well, double the Converge never hurt anyone.

And yes, it sounds like a spiritual successor to Last Light in some parts.

On My Shield is also on the album which they released a while back. Pretty good song, too. Heavier though.

Ixion

Deftones announce their album title and release date:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/08/deftones-announce-new-album-koi-no-yokan/

deftones1.jpg

Hard rock stalwarts the Deftones have announced the release of their seventh studio album, Koi No Yokan, due out November 13th via Reprise Records. Recording took place in Los Angeles with producer Nick Raskulinecz, who also helmed 2010′s Diamond Eyes.

A tracklist is still forthcoming, but the band recently debuted two new songs in concert, including “Roller Derby” and “Rosemary”. And speaking of concerts, they’ve also announced a new string of North American tour dates in support of the album’s release. You can watch fan footage of the two new songs and see the Deftones’ upcoming tour schedule below.

In an interview with Billboard last month, Deftones frontman Chino Moreno described the album as “not a super fast or slow record. It’s very dynamic.” He added: “Some of my favorite things about Deftones are the dynamics. Yes, we’re a heavy band, but we’re not just in-your-face aggro the whole time, punching you in the face. There’s a lot of aggression in some of the music, but there’s also this very soothing element where there’s a lot of soundscapes rather than attack, attack, attack the whole time. I understand that’s a big part of our sound, but I really feel like we reached a peak on our dynamics on this record with those two qualities — the beauty of something and just straight, ruthless aggression.”

And here are the two new songs they played live, in case you haven't heard them yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAjMwMNp57M&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcQON3lG_5Y&feature=player_embedded

Greg

For some people it's a way of life. You you against the mainstream, against the man, maybe be a little anti-social. Can't say I've ever been like that. Just really loved the music. It just so happens it's not liked by the masses.
(I was really super anti-MTV for awhile, but that's because they stopped playing the music I liked!)

As far as lyrics go, I hardly ever focus on them. I might know the choruses and all that, but I never look deep into the meaning of them or anything. Heck there are some bands which I love where I don't know the lyrics for practically any song. Cradle of Filth anyone?
Yeah, I guess I just never bought into a music scene like that. It's always been easy for me to separate a band's image from a band's music.

I can't say I've ever enjoyed a band and found out later that they were a christian band and then not liked them anymore.
My question wasn't about being a Christian band - I'm talking lyrical themes in general that you dislike, or even poorly written lyrics in a subject matter you have nothing against.

I guess it's all dependent on the specific genre of metal we're talking about, but more often than not I have no clue what the band is screaming about unless I go out of my way to look up lyrics.

Ravager61

I don't understand why people like Dethklok so much. Is it just because of the show? It's super boring and generic death metal.

Also, new Converge sounds awesome.

I don't understand why people like Dethklok so much. Is it just because of the show? It's super boring and generic death metal.

Also, new Converge sounds awesome.
I just appreciate it as a parody of the genre. The lyrics are what make me enjoy the band whenever I give them a spin. The songs themselves are usually standard fare, but they aren't terrible by any means.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Listened to an under-appreciated favorite of mine for the first time in a while today: Rune's The End of Nothing. Still blows me away. Anyone else like these guys? They only released one full-length, but it was incredibly ambitious and awesome. Really good death metal with doom and grind influences.

"This Sorrow"
"Worthless Endeavor"
"Wilt"

Subprime

This is a similar argument to major label punk. That is to say, you do not make punk music if you are on a major label. You might be punks, but whatever your music is, it is no longer punk.

Subprime

Metal music is just that, music.

Implying that music is somehow unimportant? Fuck off with that shit. It is not "just" music. It IS music, and music has context, something beyond the simple words and notes. Theres a reason the ramones are great, or hendrix is great, or fugazi is great. Even when they are terribly recorded, they still sound great. There is something fundamental to what they are trying to communicate.

Korranator

Implying that music is somehow unimportant? Fuck off with that shit. It is not "just" music. It IS music, and music has context, something beyond the simple words and notes. Theres a reason the ramones are great, or hendrix is great, or fugazi is great. Even when they are terribly recorded, they still sound great. There is something fundamental to what they are trying to communicate.
Sigh, There's always one ...

I'm not implying anything.

I'm simply stating metal music is music. Nothing more, nothing less.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
391492_10150952033232064_2067973067_n.jpg

Trenches is back, so stoked. I absolutely loved the hell out of "The Tide Will Swallow Us Whole" and I was really disheartened when they just stopped. They never really got a fair shake. Really good sludge/post-metal. Crazy good hooks.

They're never playing shows again, but we'll at least get one "cutting-room-floor" EP (the pictured "Reckoner") and a full-length this year, so I'm happy.

Aggrotek

Australia has been putting out some amazing music the past few years. Here's looking at you Resist The Thought and Oroborous.

Gaspode_T

If there is one consistent thread in my fandom of metal music it is that I seem to prefer metal with at least some semblence of a groove, and this has gotten stronger and stronger as I have spent more time learning to be a decent drummer.

A band like Tool I just enjoy more and more and more the more I learn about music and drumming, to cast judgment on their music is as fanboyish as someone slamming a veteran game developer in the Gaming Discussion section...however I remember meeting a guy at a Mastodon concert that knew way more about drums than I did, and when he was giving critique of one of the opening bands I respected his opinions even though I enjoyed the band a lot. I just mean to say it is okay to express negative opinions about something but you better really, really know what you are talking about when you do so, otherwise just give love to things you love is a more positive action...

In any case my personal preference is for the groove, so metal full of blast beats or just constant insane BPM is kind of sounding more and more simple and less musical to me even though it contains more things happening...I have found some of the bands like Decapitated are more musical even though they do the same techniques as similar bands...Job for a Cowboy/Whitechapel/etc I really wish they would add just a little more groove and they would be so much more awesome...but that is just my preference...

A band like Tool I just enjoy more and more and more the more I learn about music and drumming, to cast judgment on their music is as fanboyish as someone slamming a veteran game developer in the Gaming Discussion section...however I remember meeting a guy at a Mastodon concert that knew way more about drums than I did, and when he was giving critique of one of the opening bands I respected his opinions even though I enjoyed the band a lot. I just mean to say it is okay to express negative opinions about something but you better really, really know what you are talking about when you do so, otherwise just give love to things you love is a more positive action...

I disagree. Yes, if you are talking about technical stuff or other facts, you better make sure you know what you are talking about. But with music (also games) we are usually talking about personal tastes or things that can not be proven to be either correct or incorrect. I don't think you need to have a good understanding of music to criticise something or to speak your mind. If it's clear someone has no idea what he's talking about, others will comment on it. But I don't think this has been the case in this thread lately.

And whether you are a veteran in something does not mean they automatically deserve respect. There are enough veteran 'artists' who made idiotic choices and delivered bad products.

Subprime

If there is one consistent thread in my fandom of metal music it is that I seem to prefer metal with at least some semblence of a groove, and this has gotten stronger and stronger as I have spent more time learning to be a decent drummer.

In any case my personal preference is for the groove, so metal full of blast beats or just constant insane BPM is kind of sounding more and more simple and less musical to me even though it contains more things happening...I have found some of the bands like Decapitated are more musical even though they do the same techniques as similar bands...Job for a Cowboy/Whitechapel/etc I really wish they would add just a little more groove and they would be so much more awesome...but that is just my preference...

Horse shit. You don't need to know how to play drums very well to criticize someones drumming. I think most tech-death metal drummers are total dog shit. I know that they are technically proficient, but there hasn't been a time in the last few millenia where virtuosity was required to make good music.

That's your interpretation.

Like, if I say, it's just life, just love, just food, etc.

It's not derogatory.

fair enough,

RDreamer

Has anybody noticed how metal some electronic artists are? Just play the songs with electric guitar, and you get a delicious metal song.

Here you go!

Speaking of electronics and metal, are there any bands that really push the envelopes in combining the two genres that I should know about? In particular, after your skrillex cover you posted I saw this other skrillex guitar cover, and the combination of electronics and metal sounds really awesome to me in this. Are there any bands that sound pretty much exactly like that?

Speaking of electronics and metal, are there any bands that really push the envelopes in combining the two genres that I should know about? In particular, after your skrillex cover you posted I saw this other skrillex guitar cover, and the combination of electronics and metal sounds really awesome to me in this. Are there any bands that sound pretty much exactly like that?
I would like to know this too. I have a friend who is big into electronic, and he knows I love metal so he was showing some of these covers to me a couple nights ago. I would love to explore it more, so if somebody more knowledgable than me has a good starting place I would be very appreciative.

RDreamer

I would like to know this too. I have a friend who is big into electronic, and he knows I love metal so he was showing some of these covers to me a couple nights ago. I would love to explore it more, so if somebody more knowledgable than me has a good starting place I would be very appreciative.

The combination of electronic and metal/rock has always sounded completely awesome to me. I think in my mind if I could think of the best sounding music possible it'd be that (mixed with progressive metal maybe for best results!), but I've really yet to find decent bands that actually do this. Some throw out a few electronic things mixed in here and there, but it's never really pushed at all.

Ambitious

Just impulse purchased the new Ensiferum CD. The cover art got me combined with mentions here. Good starting point? Heard no previous entries. Cant wait.

(PS: Loved metal since the 80s. Really love folk/power metal, traditional metal and black metal {darkthrone, moonsorrow, enslaved}).

I listened to several of the songs, and I think it's really mediocre. Or less, actually. I'm glad I didn't buy it. The cover's great though, I agree.

I'd recommend you to look into Iron or the eponymous Ensiferum. The previous singer was so much better than Petri, I think. You know Wintersun? If not, it's his band. They're glorious.

Just saw Tyr, Moonsorrow and Korpiklaani. Don't miss this show if it's coming to your city.

Sooo fucking excited for this show. I've seen Moonsorrow and Korpiklaani before, both absolutely slay and are on opposite sides of the Folk Metal genre. I love both, it's gonna be great to see them together.

TYR and Metsatoll are just icing on the cake. But really, really awesome icing that you look forward to because it's almost as good as the cake.

Just impulse purchased the new Ensiferum CD. The cover art got me combined with mentions here. Good starting point? Heard no previous entries. Cant wait.

(PS: Loved metal since the 80s. Really love folk/power metal, traditional metal and black metal {darkthrone, moonsorrow, enslaved}).

I just got the new Ensiferum as well, and while it's not bad I think it may be their weakest. The first two, especially the S/T album are god damned INCREDIBLE. The other albums with Petri are great too.

Also, our tastes in genres mesh rather well. Good stuff.

Not really similar, but I always thought Genghis Tron did an amazing job of combining the two genres.

ManeKast

I listened to several of the songs, and I think it's really mediocre. Or less, actually. I'm glad I didn't buy it. The cover's great though, I agree.

I'd recommend you to look into Iron or the eponymous Ensiferum. The previous singer was so much better than Petri, I think. You know Wintersun? If not, it's his band. They're glorious.

After a few swirls I really like the way "Unsung Heroes" takes off, first four or so tracks are killer, then it seems to lose itself, confused as to what it is. Deviating completely before returning to form for the closing track. Ordered in the first two albums and Wintersun CDs so it was a great starting point I see!

Seanspeed

Banned

I'm with ya 100%. The 'head bob' factor means much more to me than complexity in arrangement or pure speed. Some bands incorporate both very well but I think the majority dont.

I dont listen to a ton of death metal, but of that I do, its usually more groove orientated stuff like Kataklysm or Deicide rather than Morbid Angel or Nile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom