• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thabiz

PLANKS_FUNERAL+MOUTH+2012.png

Flowers? For me? Why I do declare Mr. Beauregard

PLANKS_FUNERAL+MOUTH+2012.png

Flowers? For me? Why I do declare Mr. Beauregard

So is this a Gone with the Wind concept album? Why should I even care about your post? I have no idea what kind of music it is, what the album is called etc. Cmon people, try to post a little more than just the album cover, preferably a short description and a youtube link. This is the metal thread, not a generic music thread on GAF.

This also applies to posts like Ravagers latest, please don't post unmarked youtube links. I knew Ravagers link had the potential to be new and interesting, but sometimes similar posts link to Metallica or some other band everyone already knows.

Sorry about the small rant, but these things annoy me. They are very common in other threads and it really lowers the quality of those threads. I really like the Metal thread and its quality and it would be better without such posts.

Milchjon

Has anybody noticed how metal some electronic artists are? Just play the songs with electric guitar, and you get a delicious metal song.

Here you go!

I always thought the reason why I actually enjoyed dubstep was that it's pretty close to metal in some ways.

Have any of you ever been to Wacken? My metal days are pretty much over, but I still wanna go someday.
And what's the ratio of males/females?

thabiz

So is this a Gone with the Wind concept album? Why should I even care about your post? I have no idea what kind of music it is, what the album is called etc. Cmon people, try to post a little more than just the album cover, preferably a short description and a youtube link. This is the metal thread, not a generic music thread on GAF.

This also applies to posts like Ravagers latest, please don't post unmarked youtube links. I knew Ravagers link had the potential to be new and interesting, but sometimes similar posts link to Metallica or some other band everyone already knows.

Sorry about the small rant, but these things annoy me. They are very common in other threads and it really lowers the quality of those threads. I really like the Metal thread and its quality and it would be better without such posts.

First and last, thanks.

Funeral Mouth

Its told from the horses point of view during the great fire.

Have there been any updates on the new Ghost album? The last I heard anything about it was back in February when we were informed of this delightful tidbit:

"The Nameless Ghoul: Most of the material has been written already. Throughout the production and writing, we’ve been using the word “divine” a lot. Whereas with the first album, the sound was slightly “wooden,” we want the new album to be stone and golden in terms of being lavished and divine. So we are trying to paint an even more solemn religion and there’s all sorts of dramatic steps forward. The first album is about the arrival of the anti-Christ, about a coming darkness. The new album will about a current darkness, the presence of the devil, how it relates to divinity and how it’s futile you grasp whatever is divine."

Ghost's first album is so very good. I hope this new one drops sooner rather than later.

Toski

Speaking of electronics and metal, are there any bands that really push the envelopes in combining the two genres that I should know about? In particular, after your skrillex cover you posted I saw this other skrillex guitar cover, and the combination of electronics and metal sounds really awesome to me in this. Are there any bands that sound pretty much exactly like that?

The new Sybreed album "God is an Automaton" just dropped on youtube. They're an Industrial Metal band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMkKqoijJlU

Kaladin

The combination of electronic and metal/rock has always sounded completely awesome to me. I think in my mind if I could think of the best sounding music possible it'd be that (mixed with progressive metal maybe for best results!), but I've really yet to find decent bands that actually do this. Some throw out a few electronic things mixed in here and there, but it's never really pushed at all.

Spawnsoundtrackcover.jpg

You want to check out this album.

"(Can't You) Trip Like I Do" - Filter & The Crystal Method – 4:28
"Long Hard Road out of Hell" - Marilyn Manson & Sneaker Pimps – 4:21
"Satan" - Orbital & Kirk Hammett – 3:45
"Kick the P.A." - Korn & The Dust Brothers – 3:21
"Tiny Rubberband" - Butthole Surfers & Moby – 4:12
"For Whom the Bell Tolls (The Irony of it All)" - Metallica & DJ Spooky – 4:39
"Torn Apart" - Stabbing Westward & Wink – 4:53
"Skin Up Pin Up" - Mansun & 808 State – 5:27
"One Man Army" - Prodigy & Tom Morello – 4:14
"Spawn" - Silverchair & Vitro – 4:28
"T-4 Strain" - Henry Rollins & Goldie – 5:19
"Familiar" - Incubus & DJ Greyboy – 3:22
"No Remorse (I Wanna Die)" - Slayer & Atari Teenage Riot – 4:16
"A Plane Scraped Its Belly On A Sooty Yellow Moon" - Soul Coughing & Roni Size – 5:26

Some seriously awesome collaborations from electronic and metal and rock bands on this album......and it's from 1997 to boot.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Holy shit, what a blast from the past... I forgot this even existed until just now. 15 years ago, fuck. I don't remember liking it very much save for a few songs, but it was still a cool soundtrack.

Oh man, that is probably the funniest metal video I've seen in my entire life. Absolutely hysterical.

Also, my metal site is completely ready for launch. I've been forsaking my real job all weekend to work on it, but I'm FINALLY done. I'll post it in this thread just as soon as we get to a new page. For I've worked to hard on this to have the only group of people that will actually read it at the beginning not see it because it's buried at the bottom of a page! :p

Oh man, that is probably the funniest metal video I've seen in my entire life. Absolutely hysterical.

Also, my metal site is completely ready for launch. I've been forsaking my real job all weekend to work on it, but I'm FINALLY done. I'll post it in this thread just as soon as we get to a new page. For I've worked to hard on this to have the only group of people that will actually read it at the beginning not see it because it's buried at the bottom of a page! :p

Looking forward to it.

Metal-gaf, should I feel guilty for how much I enjoyed singing Before I forget in rock band yesterday?

EDIT: I opened the goblin metal video in a new tab with the sound off and tabbed over randomly mid song. What the hell? time to actually watch this.

Melchiah

Sounds great. Artwork looks nice too.

Yeah, the artwork is done by the same guy, who plays all the instruments and composes the music.

EDIT: Here's another interesting one-man band of another friend of mine.

Benighted in Sodom - Chamber of Lucid Dreams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKuh7Y8DrL4
Abstract Black Metal band from Florida, United States; formed in 2004/2005. All instrumental and vocal duties handled by Matron Thorn. Started as a pure black metal act, recently evolved into a Black Metal/Trip-hop/Industrial project.

And his side project ÆVANGELIST:
http://www.i-voidhanger.com/aevangelist_de_masticatione_mortuorum_in_tumulis.htm
There are two songs to listen to at the website.

Born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and lead by Matron Thorn and Ascaris (both active under the black metal insignias of Benighted In Sodom), ÆVANGELIST play dark death metal to end all death metal. Like in a terrifying exorcism, the duo has extracted the very essence of the genre out of its carcass, showing it in all its putridity and disgust through the asphyxiating sounds and the growling choirs of the debut album "De Masticatione Mortuorum In Tumulis".
There's a disturbing and totally hallucinating atmosphere haunting their songs; something that assaults and violates the senses, and that works on the subconscious in subliminal, occult ways.
Comparable perhaps to Portal, Mitochondrion, Vasaeleth and even late Blut Aus Nord, ÆVANGELIST ride on majestic black wings, dispensing chaos, darkness and fever like rotten hosts with which to feed countless agonizing souls. You won't find anything pleasant in this dark epiphany. No melodies, no nice hooks, no frills. Just ugliness and utter despair; the tortured screams of those who already inhaled the nauseating, unbereable stench of death while waiting for the horrendous vacuum of non-existence that lays beyond...

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yeah, the artwork is done by the same guy, who plays all the instruments and composes the music.

That seems to be one fo the new and upcoming standards for good music, especially for the prog-metal/djent world. Glad to see the increase in tech has allowed independent artists to make music without paying an arm and a leg, especially if they are one guy.

Cloudkicker - "Beacons"

cloudkicker-beacons.jpg

Gru - "Cosmogensis"

1295519317-1.jpg

DDM - "Lucidity"

cover.jpg

Widek - "Aurora Borealis"

1077969792-1.jpg

Xanithon - "Serpent"

730960356-1.jpg

Melchiah

That seems to be one fo the new and upcoming standards for good music, especially for the prog-metal/djent world. Glad to see the increase in tech has allowed independent artists to make music without paying an arm and a leg, especially if they are one guy.

Well, the guy does art design for living. ;)

Wow, a lot of these are great. I absolutely love "calm" metal. I'll have to check into some of these artists more.

Speaking of djent, I don't understand the term. It's supposed to be an onomatopoeia right? I just don't hear it the resemblance, especially in any meaningful way that would define a subgenre.

Toski

Speaking of djent, I don't understand the term. It's supposed to be an onomatopoeia right? I just don't hear it the resemblance, especially in any meaningful way that would define a subgenre.

Isn't it just to denote bands that emulate Meshuggah's palm mute riffing with downtuned guitars and polyrhythms? "Djent" (the sound a downtuned guitar is supposed to make) is more of a joke term that will probably turn in into a derisive term 2-4 years from now.

cacophony

People just started using Djent as a genre which is stupid as fuck. The bands in the 'genre' are also absolutely terrible outside of Periphery and Meshuggah

Isn't it just to denote bands that emulate Meshuggah's palm mute riffing with downtuned guitars and polyrhythms? "Djent" (the sound a downtuned guitar is supposed to make) is more of a joke term that will probably turn in into a derisive term 2-4 years from now.

People just started using Djent as a genre which is stupid as fuck. The bands in the 'genre' are also absolutely terrible outside of Periphery and Meshuggah
Ah, okay. I didn't know this. It's interesting how subgenre titles develop. Like New Wave of Traditional Metal, which is just traditional metal but isn't from the 80s so it's, like, totally new wave man! Shoegaze is also ridiculous, but at least that name cracks me up.

And I've still never listened to Meshuggah. Which album is a good starting point?

cacophony

Ah, okay. I didn't know this. It's interesting how subgenre titles develop. Like New Wave of Traditional Metal, which is just traditional metal but isn't from the 80s so it's, like, totally new wave man! Shoegaze is also ridiculous, but at least that name cracks me up.

And I've still never listened to Meshuggah. Which album is a good starting point?

My favorite is Nothing (the remastered version)but Chaosphere & Catch 33 are close.

spink

I've had the new Krallice on repeat for the last 4 hours.
I didn't mind Diotima, but this album just shits on it.
fucking awesome

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

EDIT: Here's another interesting one-man band of another friend of mine.

Benighted in Sodom - Chamber of Lucid Dreams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKuh7Y8DrL4

And his side project ÆVANGELIST:
http://www.i-voidhanger.com/aevangelist_de_masticatione_mortuorum_in_tumulis.htm
There are two songs to listen to at the website.

Holy shit, you're friends with the guy from Benighted in Sodom? That's AWESOME.

Helllll no. Maybe you could get away with that on some other forum's metal thread.

Vildhjarta just released Masstaden not too long ago... I can just leave it at that.

In the immortal words of Devin Townsend, "WE ALL RIP OFF MESHUGGAH".

Greg

I wouldn't consider Meshuggah a part of the genre even though they were the big influence on the bands that gave certain elements of their sound a more mainstream appeal. And the newer Periphery stuff is all over the place in terms of influences, so I don't even think of them as part of it anymore.

bands like Fellsilent, Tesseract, and Vildhjarta are more consistent representations of the sound

We need to meet up at a show sometime. Perhaps at this one, if I'm able to make it! I just hate the thought of driving to Chicago in December (it's about a two and a half hour trip for me), because of the potential of snow. But I would love to see Wintersun, and of course seeing Eluveitie a third time would be a delicious treat.

Hell yeah man I'm down for that! And I hear you about the driving in Chicago Winters. I hate the thought of driving 10 minutes to the Metra >:[

Also, it's Monday. let's see the site \m/

I wouldn't consider Meshuggah a part of the genre even though they were the big influence on the bands that gave certain elements of their sound a more mainstream appeal. And the newer Periphery stuff is all over the place in terms of influences, so I don't even think of them as part of it anymore.

bands like Fellsilent, Tesseract, and Vildhjarta are more consistent representations of the sound

Fellsilent? You mean Monuments.

Djent is losing it's meaning, but it still hits that spot. Shit just sounds great and brings that groove. If anything, it's contributing to the overall heaviness of modern metal.

Check:
Destiny Potato
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTq5sIDryEs

The Korea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzuIxovdD-E

I love Browne's style, but I'm not a Monuments fan. They really butchered the mix on the new CD, and all of the old demo tracks sounded much better.

The demo Admit Defeat is so much better.

I still dig them quite a bit. The second half of Gnosis brings it.

But yeah the mix is fucked up! That kick drum, good lord

Ixion

I think their latest album, Koloss, is their most accessible album. For me personally though, Obzen is what made me a fan. Check out their most popular song, "Bleed". One of my favorite songs.

My favorite is Nothing (the remastered version)but Chaosphere & Catch 33 are close.

Nothing is actually the only Meshuggah album I don't like (besides, Contradictions Collapse, which I haven't heard).

I just find it to be too slow and the riffs to be uninspired. A lot of people love it though, so I might be missing something.

Kaladin

Dethklok-MachineHead-AllThatRemains-BlackDahliaMurder.jpg

New Dethklok headlining tour with Machine Head, All That Remains & Black Dahlia Murder. IMO, much better than the tour with Lamb Of God.

10/30 Norfolk, VA – Norva
10/31 Philadelphia, PA – Electric Factory
11/02 Silver Spring, MD – Fillmore
11/03 New York, NY – Roseland Ballroom
11/04 Worcester, MA – Palladium
11/05 Montreal, QC – Metropolis
11/07 Toronto, ON – Sound Academy
11/08 Pittsburgh, PA – Stage AE
11/09 Columbus, OH – LC Pavilion
11/10 Detroit, MI – Fillmore
11/11 Grand Rapids, MI – Orbit Room
11/13 Fargo, ND – The Venue
11/14 Minneapolis, MN – Myth
11/15 Milwaukee, WI – Rave / Eagles Club
11/16 Chicago, IL – Aragon Ballroom
11/17 Kansas City, MO – Midland
11/18 St. Louis, MO – The Pageant
11/20 Denver, Co – Fillmore
11/21 Salt Lake City, UT – Great Salt Air
11/23 Seattle, WA – Showbox SODO
11/24 Portland, OR – Roseland Theater
11/26 Oakland, CA – Fox Theater
11/27 Hollywood, CA – Palladium
11/28 Phoenix, AZ – Marquee
11/30 Dallas, TX – House Of Blues
12/01 Austin, TX – Stubbs
12/02 Houston, TX House of Blues
12/04 Orlando, FL – House Of Blues
12/06 Chattanooga, TN – Track 29
12/07 Charlotte, NC – Fillmore
12/08 Atlanta, GA – Tabernacle

Depending on where I'm living, I'm either hitting Charlotte or Atlanta.....but I am going to one of these shows damnit.

COME ONE, COME ALL TO THE LAIR OF THE METAL SANTA!
LogoD2.jpg

www.metalsanta.com

The day has finally arrived. While you are looking around, here are a couple of notes to keep in mind.

First, the logo is in an early draft stage. The finished product will have the correct font and coloring, as well as a black hat instead of a red one.

Second, the whole site makes more sense if you read my mythology page first. It's a nerdy concept that I actually really like, but how I present the mythology is pretty straightforward and simple. I may eventually edit it and turn it into something more grandiose and interesting, but I think it serves its purpose just fine for now.

Also, I'm fairly proud of the Metal Santa version of 'Twas The Night Before Christmas that I wrote, but I can't stand the sound of my own voice when I hear it so I can't tell how other people will like it.

Most importantly, PLEASE BE BRUTALLY HONEST with how you feel about the site! I'm not in this for insincere praise, my goal was always to make a legitimately interesting website that people will ENJOY reading, and not just read out of obligation because they want to support a fellow GAFfer. (Though to be clear, and I am incredibly appreciative for how kind you guys have been towards this project so far). This is certainly a small-scale operation, and probably geared towards a more niche market with how kooky the premise is, but I'd rather have something more narrowly focused yet memorable than have a site filled with generic articles you could find elsewhere around the web. If you have any constructive criticisms or suggestions for improvements, by all means let me know post haste! This goes for types of features you would be interested in reading too. I have had exactly zero people to bounce ideas off of, so this is all completely from my mind... which doesn't always line up with what the rest of the world wants to see, I'm sure :p

If anybody has twitter, I'm going to be posting a haiku for each album I review on the site, so feel free to follow me @TheMetalSanta. And Liking my facebook page would be pretty rad too (but only if you legitimately enjoy it).

I have four entries up right now, plus the mythology, charity, and contact page, and descriptions at the top of the other (as of now empty) section pages.

Enjoy your stay!

According to my very handy stat tracking tools, TWELVE different people have accessed my website through Neogaf. And not a single nugget of constructive wisdom has been thrown down yet! I guess you all are too busy digesting the glory of the Metal Santa.

And that cover for the new Sword album is excellent. I've yet to encounter a genre that comes anywhere close to rivaling the badassery that is metal album covers.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
got my tix for the Wintersun show at the Roxy..
fuckin metal!!

Cant wait to sing along to Death and The Healing.
"Time is the death and the healing
Take your last breath, 'cause death is deceiving
Time is the past, now and tomorrow
Days fly so fast and it leaves me so hollow"

awww yeah...

cacophony

well I mean none of those bands or "Djent" would exist without Meshuggah or Bulb

and those bands are all terrible. Has to be the most stale "genre" ever

Greg

well I mean none of those bands or "Djent" would exist without Meshuggah or Bulb

and those bands are all terrible. Has to be the most stale "genre" ever

The sound is currently being run into the ground, but that doesn't mean that all bands that borrow elements from it are bad. Every genre has its bad examples, but the ones I listed certainly aren't it. You might not be into the sound, but saying they're terrible is quite a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom