• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
bIgzs.jpg

the fuck
This has to be a joke, lol.

Blackheim

I guess I could/should post this here. I had meant to do so earlier, oh well. Something I'm sure a few of you will like. I believe Ravager liked what he heard.

2063948323-1.jpg

Band: Temple
Album Title: On The Steps Of The Temple
Album Description: Temple's brooding debut instrumental release "On The Steps Of The Temple" is 53 minutes of towering riffs, crushing drums and compositions that explore many different territories while keeping it's roots deep in heaviness.

I like the song Mountain and the title track best at the moment.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
People that constantly feel the need to vocalize their dislike of metal/deathcore are basically just 'metal hipsters'. You dont like the genre, great. Listen to what you like and shut the fuck up. Stop pretending that y'alls taste in metal is any better than another person's.
so?? deal with it. :p

but if you're talkin about christian/jesus/NSBM/KKK metal in that regard...then ya...prepare to get blasted. cant have them genres representin' metal
:D

anyways, fear my thoughts>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Parkway Drive.

also, is devin townsend new album good or what?

Nopren

so?? deal with it. :p

but if you're talkin about christian/jesus/NSBM/KKK metal in that regard...then ya...prepare to get blasted. cant have them genres representin' metal
:D

anyways, fear my thoughts>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Parkway Drive.

also, is devin townsend new album good or what?

Well, the whole thing is streaming right here: Epicloud stream on Exclaim.ca

And so far I'm sold.

Man, I can't stand this thread. Too much "lol Jesus metal" and "lol metalcore" for my tastes.

Greg, seeing as you're one of the only people in this thread who seems to be fairly level-headed, you got any death metal suggestions for me? I've been listening to a lot of Zonaria, Sacrificium, and Crimson Moonlight (although that's actually black metal) lately. I'm a much bigger fan of modern death metal if that helps.

Greg

Man, I can't stand this thread. Too much "lol Jesus metal" and "lol metalcore" for my tastes.

Greg, seeing as you're one of the only people in this thread who seems to be fairly level-headed, you got any death metal suggestions for me? I've been listening to a lot of Zonaria, Sacrificium, and Crimson Moonlight (although that's actually black metal) lately. I'm a much bigger fan of modern death metal if that helps.
I'm not sure who you've heard of already, but for a more modern sound, here's some releases to check out just from this year:

Wretched - Son of Perdition
Allegaeon - Formshifter
Slice the Cake - The Man With No Face
In Mourning - The Weight of Oceans

That covers a pretty nice spectrum of a more modern sound from this year. In Mourning is definitely the most traditional of the bunch, but it has a more modern style of production.

And not from this year, but I'd also recommend checking out Destinity as well based on what you've been listening to. They have a release coming out this year, so it's something to look forward to if you dig their sound. Here's a track from each of their CDs starting with the newest (2010):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDsxRfdjOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xnNLlYY85k (extremely poor quality even for youtube, but the production matches that of the first link on the actual CD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c04NgwvJTE

Subprime

People that constantly feel the need to vocalize their dislike of metal/deathcore are basically just 'metal hipsters'. You dont like the genre, great. Listen to what you like and shut the fuck up. Stop pretending that y'alls taste in metal is any better than another person's.

I dont like black metal, I dont like deathmetal, I dont look down on them. I look down on bad metalcore because it is popular. It is no different than justin beiber, just manufactured music.

there are things that are better than other things. Black sabbath is better than attack attack, neurosis is better than bring me the horizon.

blahness

I guess I could/should post this here. I had meant to do so earlier, oh well. Something I'm sure a few of you will like. I believe Ravager liked what he heard.

2063948323-1.jpg

Band: Temple
Album Title: On The Steps Of The Temple
Album Description: Temple's brooding debut instrumental release "On The Steps Of The Temple" is 53 minutes of towering riffs, crushing drums and compositions that explore many different territories while keeping it's roots deep in heaviness.

I like the song Mountain and the title track best at the moment.

Yes! Saw this in the general bandcamp thread and finally listened to it last night. Good stuff!

Subprime

There is no plague on metal. I've listened to just as many bad technical death metal releases as I have metalcore releases this year. The current popularity for the genre means that you're hearing more about them, but that doesn't mean the music you don't like is bringing down the music you do like.

By plague I mean that it is becoming disproportionately popular. Its this decade's nu metal, and nu metal was the previous decades butt/glam/hair metal.

Greg

By plague I mean that it is becoming disproportionately popular. Its this decade's nu metal, and nu metal was the previous decades butt/glam/hair metal.
And if sludge became the most popular genre, would you suddenly look down on Neurosis?

You can't choose what's popular, and you have to at least appreciate the fact that someone's interest in the mainstream can lead to an interest in more obscure (relatively speaking) things. I'm not sure how your musical tastes have developed over the years, but I know I didn't start out being tolerant of some of the things I listen to now.

Subprime

And if sludge became the most popular genre, would you suddenly look down on Neurosis?

You can't choose what's popular, and you have to at least appreciate the fact that someone's interest in the mainstream can lead to an interest in more obscure (relatively speaking) things. I'm not sure how your musical tastes have developed over the years, but I know I didn't start out being tolerant of some of the things I listen to now.

The sludge that has tried to become more accessible/popular fucking sucks. Look at the new mastodon or baroness. theyre completely watered down.

The issue is not when bands become popular. The issue is when one aesthetic becomes popular and multiple people try to mimic it.

I just checked it out. I dug the Metal Monday post. Celebrations of great tracks are always awesome. I'd make sure to lead the post or even with the title with the name of the song/band so readers know what they're getting into. Felt like that first post took a while to get to the meat of really talking about the track.

I feel like you'll probably develop these scheduled posts as you go, but my best advice for blogging is the leaner the better.

Anyway, I've added you to my RSS so I'll be reading regularly. Looking forward to more.
Awesome! I'll definitely keep that in mind. I was so overwhelmed with trying to write everything in time to put the site out there that the quality of the posts was bogged down a little. And as for the bullshit about the Munelasters (which is an anagram for Nu Metalers, har har), I just wanted to tie everything back to the mythology for stronger brand unity. Now that it's out of the way though I'll rarely go back to it, because it is kind of pointless, so I won't be taking nearly as long to get to the topic.

I don't like how the tabs at the top take up so much of the screen, which leaves less room for scrolling.

I'm not a fan of the color scheme either.
Good point about the tabs, I'll play around with shrinking it down.

As for the color scheme, I love it. It's christmasy (red green and white), but the colors are dark and muted instead of popping and vibrant. I think it fits well with a metal site who's gimmick is santa clause. Plus, I wanted it to look different than the myriad of other metal sites out there, and I think I succeeded on that front. So long as it's not a strain on the eyes it's just going to come down to personal preference.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

The sludge that has tried to become more accessible/popular fucking sucks. Look at the new mastodon or baroness. theyre completely watered down.

The issue is not when bands become popular. The issue is when one aesthetic becomes popular and multiple people try to mimic it.

You dare call Mastodon watered down? Are you referring solely to The Hunter? There are a few inconsistent tracks on that album, but it's completely unique with its own sound, and has some really great stuff on it. Watered down implies trying to make it more mainstream and accessible, and that is certainly not what The Hunter did.

And if you are referring to Crack The Skye... that remains one of my all time favorite concept/prog albums. I've listened to the whole thing front to back close to 100 times.

Subprime

Love crack the skye, but I hate the hunter. the vocal synths are just atrocious, and the song structures have basically become radio rock.

Ixion

As for the color scheme, I love it. It's christmasy (red green and white), but the colors are dark and muted instead of popping and vibrant. I think it fits well with a metal site who's gimmick is santa clause. Plus, I wanted it to look different than the myriad of other metal sites out there, and I think I succeeded on that front. So long as it's not a strain on the eyes it's just going to come down to personal preference.

I suppose, but I guess it just needs more design and to look slightly busier (artistically). A background that includes vikings with santa hats on, a sleigh full of guitars, sexy goth chicks dancing on candy cane stripper polls, the possibilities are endless!

Greg

Regardless of where the popularity is, the sludge you like is always going to be the sludge you like though.

There are recent bands from the 2000s like Graveyard and Radio Moscow making 70s blues rock still. Maybe some bands you liked before will be pulled towards a sound you don't enjoy, but that never stops another band from filling the niche.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Love crack the skye, but I hate the hunter. the vocal synths are just atrocious, and the song structures have basically become radio rock.

Mastodon stopped being sludge after Remission. There's songs on the hunter and leviathan that are almost interchangeable.

Subprime

Regardless of where the popularity is, the sludge you like is always going to be the sludge you like though.

There are recent bands from the 2000s like Graveyard and Radio Moscow making 70s blues rock still. Maybe some bands you liked before will be pulled towards a sound you don't enjoy, but that never stops another band from filling the niche.

Again, its not about not enjoying the sound, its about them deliberately trying to make themselves more attractive to larger labels / audiences. Its idiotic.

Yeah, I agree the vocal synths are out of place at times. It doesn't plague the whole album though, so to me it's a minor flaw in an otherwise great album. There are tons and tons of metal bands I love despite subpar vocals.

I suppose, but I guess it just needs more design and to look slightly busier (artistically). A background that includes vikings with santa hats on, a sleigh full of guitars, sexy goth chicks dancing on candy cane stripper polls, the possibilities are endless!
I definitely agree with this, but unfortunately I don't have any artistic ability to create it myself or the funds to hire people.

As luck would have it though, my good friend is still hard at work on the logo, and in addition to that a fellow GAFfer said he'd help me with other artwork on the site :D So yeah, it's not visually interesting at the moment (which is another reason I think a unique color scheme is necessary), but hopefully that will turn around soon.

Ixion

The Hunter is definitely more radio friendly and less flavorful than previous albums, but the songs are still well written, so I enjoy it.

I'm not sure who you've heard of already, but for a more modern sound, here's some releases to check out just from this year:

Wretched - Son of Perdition
Allegaeon - Formshifter
Slice the Cake - The Man With No Face
In Mourning - The Weight of Oceans

That covers a pretty nice spectrum of a more modern sound from this year. In Mourning is definitely the most traditional of the bunch, but it has a more modern style of production.

And not from this year, but I'd also recommend checking out Destinity as well based on what you've been listening to. They have a release coming out this year, so it's something to look forward to if you dig their sound. Here's a track from each of their CDs starting with the newest (2010):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDsxRfdjOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xnNLlYY85k (extremely poor quality even for youtube, but the production matches that of the first link on the actual CD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c04NgwvJTE
Thank you so much, man. I will definitely be checking this stuff out in the next few days.

Greg

I'll second a recommendation for Allegaeon. I love their debut album, and Formshifter is a bit hit and miss with me. It's got some incredible stuff, but it feels a lot messier than their debut.
I'm sure you have already since you're a fan, but make sure to check out their self-titled EP as well. It's what got me into them initially, and I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed at the 2 full-lengths after it. Something about it just clicked with me more than their other stuff as a whole.

ShaneB

I'm sure you have already since you're a fan, but make sure to check out their self-titled EP as well. It's what got me into them initially, and I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed at the 2 full-lengths after it. Something about it just clicked with me more than their other stuff as a whole.

I have not actually. I'll have to check it out when I get home.

Greg

There's a legit rip out there. I was just posting the preview for people not familiar.
I'm pretty sure the only version floating around is a 320 transcode from a 192 (720p) youtube stream.

I haven't been following any of the updates, so I'm pretty excited to check it out.

Judas Priest. I can't fathom how their melodies wouldn't grab you. The only reasonable explanation to me seems, that you only listened to their post Painkiller albums, and even then I'm at a slight loss.

But aside from that, this should set you up, also give a listen to Ecliptica by Sonata Arctica.

DAMN! I'm loving Gamma Ray right now. Land of the Free and No World Order! are 100% my jam.

So I got the first High On Fire album "Art of Self Defense" remastered on vinyl today from Southern Lord. Still as awesome since the day it first came out. I'm slightly dissapointed with the remaster. Granted, it always had a muddy and thick sound, but just never that clarity and punch it needed. I had some very high hopes that the re-master was going to be just as magical as the Sleep "Dopesmoker" one since it's the same guy who did it.

Oh well, its still a nice packaged design and IMO High On Fire's best album.

Subprime

Never thought the recording on dopesmoke was that incredible. Its not like its hard to record incredibly loud music, its all pretty much maxing out the dynamic range of the amps so that theres very little variation in the dB.

ShaneB

As a follow up, just listened to these tracks on youtube, absolutely badass stuff.

Never thought the recording on dopesmoke was that incredible. Its not like its hard to record incredibly loud music, its all pretty much maxing out the dynamic range of the amps so that theres very little variation in the dB.

are you talking about the original Dopesmoker or the re-release that just came out a couple months ago? The re-release felt a bit livelier that was apparent in the sustain from the guitar.

Funny, I think the remastered Art of Self Defense sounds much more clear (not less heavy or anything) than the first version I owned. I directly compared them and the difference is quite huge. Not as big as old Dopesmoker>new Dopesmoker but still. Both are some of the heaviest sounding shit ever recorded.

Now Surrouded By Thieves needs that treatment, too...please. Imagine this in a clear soundquality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STk42JYnk2U

Subprime

are you talking about the original Dopesmoker or the re-release that just came out a couple months ago? The re-release felt a bit livelier that was apparent in the sustain from the guitar.

Im talking recording, not production. I don't think its bad, but that kind of music doesn't really suit being recorded incredibly well. Theres not enough room in the music to hear the room, if that makes sense.

Yeah, as someone who owns both the Dopesmoker and Art of Self-Defense reissues, I'm not hugely impressed with the new sound on either of them, just because the recorded tracks are already loud as hell, so there's probably not much that can be done.

Both clip like crazy, but that's expected in metal today. At the very least, both are great records, and the new Southern Lord packaging is pretty cool for both. The bonus stuff thrown on Art of Self-Defense is nice too, hadn't heard the demos before.

Seanspeed

Banned
I dont like black metal, I dont like deathmetal, I dont look down on them. I look down on bad metalcore because it is popular. It is no different than justin beiber, just manufactured music.

there are things that are better than other things. Black sabbath is better than attack attack, neurosis is better than bring me the horizon.

There's a lot of generic, bad metalcore out there, but there's a lot of good stuff too thats certainly not 'manufactured'. I dont see thats a reason to hate it unless you just dont like the genre in general. It got popular, yea, and that IS a reason why a lot of people dislike it and I really hate that attitude. Like I said, its people being 'metal hipsters'. I dont care, though. I still like a lot of the music and feel its probably the most energetic genre out there, even outside metal, which is what I love about it. And believe it or not, most of these bands actually do enjoy what they do and aren't just doing it for the record label or for sales or anything. I'm sure there's some, but a lot of people genuinely like the music and enjoy playing it. The popularity didn't come from nowhere after all.

You say 'there are things that better than other things', but thats just personal taste man. I dont like Neurosis at all. I've never understood the appeal in the least. Bring Me the Horizon isn't one of my favorites, but I'd rather listen to them. And even with Black Sabbath, I can appreciate what they did for metal and all, but I cant remember the last time I actually listened to any of their albums. I'll agree they are better than Attack! Attack! but thats just my opinion. I'm sure there's plenty of other people out there who disagree and its not my right to say they're wrong or that they have bad taste.

Subprime

I know theres good metalcore. converge, botch, cave in, jesuit, narrators, pg99 (sortof). These are the bands that defined the genre.

The bonus stuff thrown on Art of Self-Defense is nice too, hadn't heard the demos before.

Matt Pike gave me a demo when I was learning from him as a student. Still have it to this day :)

Im talking recording, not production. I don't think its bad, but that kind of music doesn't really suit being recorded incredibly well. Theres not enough room in the music to hear the room, if that makes sense.

I think i get what your saying...headroom? I feel Dopesmoker has a huge soundstage, but I don't feel suffocated by it.

So 777-Cosmosophy is out there for listening now.

I'm listening to the first track now and it has a lot of awkward sounding clean vocals on it.

I don't really know what to make of this. I would say that I like Blut Aus Nord. Memoria Vetusta I and The Works Which Transforms God are amazing. Ultima Thulee is also very good. But after The Work... they released two albums that were rather underwhelming. And then they came back Memoria Vetusta II. The two 777 albums of last year couldn't grab me, I found them to be a bit too samey and nothing really stood out. And now they have another one out and I don't know if I should care :/

Same with Enslaved. Apparently they are releasing a new album in October, but after the underwhelming Axio-something (and Vertebrae and Ruun), I'm just not interested anymore.

Ravager61

Well I think they are supposed to have similar themes, both musically and lyrically. I really liked Sect(s) and I absolutely loved The Desanctification. This one however, I'm less stoked on. The clean vocals aren't done very well and it just seems overall less memorable. I do like it but I don't know if it's up to par.

Matt Pike gave me a demo when I was learning from him as a student. Still have it to this day :)

That's cool. How did you swing Matt Pike as a (guitar?) teacher?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Same with Enslaved. Apparently they are releasing a new album in October, but after the underwhelming Axio-something (and Vertebrae and Ruun), I'm just not interested anymore.

axioma was aaaalllllright...ruun was decent, and vertebrae was just meh. I wish they go back to the Isa/below the lights period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom