• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn

Sam Dunn and company are crowdsourcing the lost "Extreme Metal" episode of Metal Evolution.

I'd gladly pay 5 bucks for that.

You guys mentioned Ash Borer a minute ago. They're playing a rad/weird extreme metal fest in the middle of the woods in Northern California called Stella Natura.

stella2012_final_for_internet.jpg

I can't make it. But I hope to catch Yob with Cormorant, False and maybe Vector in the next week or so.

It is a good time to be a metal fan.

blahness

Holy balls... new announcements for Maryland Deathfest 2013

From the MDF Facebook page:
BOLT THROWER (UK) - Headlining the Thursday show!
SLEEP
CARPATHIAN FOREST (Norway) - Exclusive US appearance!
REVENGE (Canada) - Exclusive US appearance!
ABIGAIL (Japan)
CRUCIAMENTUM (UK)
ANHEDONIST
SPEEDWOLF
AMBASSADOR GUN
ASTHMA CASTLE

It looks like we'll be announcing the venue info sometime next week. It's impossible to put a precise date on that announcement, but everything is coming together. The final announcement of bands will be sometime between October 8-10. Until we get to the end of the booking process and see what comes together or not, we don't know who is headlining other than Venom (between Fri-Sun) and Bolt Thrower (Thurs). Tickets will go on sale by mid-October. We'll keep you posted on a precise date. NOTE: The Thursday show will be inside only, so once again, 4-day passes and Thursday only tickets will be extremely limited.

Which brings the total announced line up to:
!T.O.O.H.! (Czech Republic)
ABIGAIL (Japan)
AHUMADO GRANUJO (Czech Republic)
AMBASSADOR GUN
ANHEDONIST
ANTAEUS (France)
AOSOTH (France)
ASTHMA CASTLE
BENEDICTION (UK)
BOLT THROWER (UK)
BROKEN HOPE
CARCASS (UK)
CARPATHIAN FOREST (Norway)
CONVULSE (Finland)
CRUCIAMENTUM (UK)
EXODUS
GLORIOR BELLI (France)
GRIDE (Czech Republic)
IHSAHN (Norway)
INGROWING (Czech Republic)
INIQUITY (Denmark)
INTEGRITY
KOMMANDANT
LOSS
MANILLA ROAD
MIDNIGHT
MORGION
PAGAN ALTAR (UK)
PELICAN
PENTAGRAM
PIG DESTROYER
REPULSION
REVENGE (Canada)
RIGHTEOUS PIGS
SLEEP
SPEEDWOLF
VENOM (UK)
VINTERLAND (Sweden)
WEEDEATER

Melchiah

Awesome, thanks for this, been looking forward to this one.

Likewise. Now that I've heard the whole album, I've got a bit mixed feelings about it. On the other hand, some of the songs are perhaps the best the band has made, as far as I'm concerned, but some others feel somewhat lacking. I dunno whether it's because there's more composers than before, which can result with more diverse material, but it can also make the album less focused. Nevertheless, I love its atmosphere, which is something Behexen always excels at.

seriously man. I missed Revenge when they came to LA a couple years ago. I believe Axis of Advance has played stateside before, as well. Would have been nice.

Zozobra

Likewise. Now that I've heard the whole album, I've got a bit mixed feelings about it. On the other hand, some of the songs are perhaps the best the band has made, as far as I'm concerned, but some others feel somewhat lacking. I dunno whether it's because there's more composers than before, which can result with more diverse material, but it can also make the album less focused. Nevertheless, I love its atmosphere, which is something Behexen always excels at.

Dude, I totally agree. This is underwhelming as a whole compared to their previous work, but damn if there aren't some absolutely killer tracks.

'We Burn With Serpent Fire' \m/

So, I just went on Spotify and saw a new Sanctuary album called Reveal, that came out in 2012. I knew they where working on a new album but didn't know it out already.

Listed to the first 10 seconds of the first song and realized my follies.

Kaladin

So, I just went on Spotify and saw a new Sanctuary album called Reveal, that came out in 2012. I knew they where working on a new album but didn't know it out already.

You couldn't figure it out with the titles of the songs?

For some reason I don't think this is what you are talking about, but it's all I can find while googling "Sanctuary Reveal"...

Metal Hammer is streaming the new Steve Harris album, British Lion.

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/s...-album-streaming-exclusively-on-metal-hammer/

I'm only two tracks in, but I definitely don't like it. It's kind of boring and the vocals are such a downgrade from Bruce's to the point where I can't get past it. I know it's not a fair comparison since they are two completely separate beasts (pun lol), but I can't help but do it.

Although maybe it's less fair to judge my feelings after just two tracks. I'm also not listening with headphones.

Still, I want to know what you guys think of it!

Metal Hammer is streaming the new Steve Harris album, British Lion.

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/s...-album-streaming-exclusively-on-metal-hammer/

I'm only two tracks in, but I definitely don't like it. It's kind of boring and the vocals are such a downgrade from Bruce's to the point where I can't get past it. I know it's not a fair comparison since they are two completely separate beasts (pun lol), but I can't help but do it.

Although maybe it's less fair to judge my feelings after just two tracks. I'm also not listening with headphones.

Still, I want to know what you guys think of it!

Really reminds me of the less than stellar years of Maiden.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
God DAMN the new Hooded Menace is amazing!

In other news, the new album by Katatonia is swank as well. Basically an extension of their last one, but if you liked that, you're sure to like the new one. I'm a fan.

cacophony

forcing myself through the new BTBAM. pure wankery garbage. terrible songwriting.

i know Im hards on this band but they used to be my favorite band and it sucks when a band strays so far from what made them great. I'm all for bands experimenting and evolving (see Mastodon w/ crack the skye) but sometimes it's for the worse

Greg

forcing myself through the new BTBAM. pure wankery garbage. terrible songwriting.
yeah, between the mess of guitars and harsh vocals, it's pretty grating most of the time

the bits that revolve around the clean sections of vocals remain the highlight of the band to me (since they've changed their sound) - it's too bad that it takes minutes at a time to get there

'Lay Your Ghosts To Rest' was the highlight, but even that featured extended sections that wore on me

Greg, just following up on the recommendations you gave me last week --- this stuff is great! I've especially been listening to a lot of Allegaeon but all of the others you recommended sound like they have some great potential as well.

the new vocalist is pretty generic and ruins it for me
They lost their vocalist?! That sucks... I've been a big fan of theirs since Terminate Damnation. I've seen them live twice as well, they always put on a great show.

Man, I still want to hear the new album but that is some really bad news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom