• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's cool. How did you swing Matt Pike as a (guitar?) teacher?

My sister's husband at the time was best friend's and grew up with Matt Pike. High on Fire was actually their wedding band, but they didn't play anything heavy haha. Just acoustic pieces.

He'd tried to get me to smoke weed all the time, but i refused since i was pretty young back then.

strafer

Damn, Amon Amarth is so consistent with their releases, all of them are so great.

Sweden really does make the best Melodic Death Metal.

But With Oden on Our Side is truly a gem.

Kaladin

Order of The Owl - In The Noon Of The After Day

http://orderoftheowl.bandcamp.com/

Relatively new sludge band from Atlanta. Good stuff if you're into sludge, stoner or doom metal. I found out about these guys because of Brent Anderson from Zoroaster being involved. I love Zoroaster, and this band doesn't disappoint.

2518324549-1.png

With a backstory as epic as their name, Order of the Owl brings some of Atlanta’s most die-hard musicians together in one growling beast of a band. Fronted by Zoroaster’s Brent Anderson, the sound is decidedly metal, but drummer Corey Pallon’s classic rock influence and guitarist Casey Yarbrough’s driving progressive chords give new life to the usual detuned fare Atlanta’s grown so famous for

Same with Enslaved. Apparently they are releasing a new album in October, but after the underwhelming Axio-something (and Vertebrae and Ruun), I'm just not interested anymore.

axioma was aaaalllllright...ruun was decent, and vertebrae was just meh. I wish they go back to the Isa/below the lights period.
You guys are crazy. Axioma Ethica Odini was one of the highlights of their discography. Then again, I was a big fan of both their early black stuff and later progressive outputs.

ShaneB

I love when everything comes together when listening to an album for the first time. Just got around to listening to Testament's new album. Holy fuck it slays!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Damn, Amon Amarth is so consistent with their releases, all of them are so great.

Sweden really does make the best Melodic Death Metal.

But With Oden on Our Side is truly a gem.

I disagree. Twilight of the Thundergod and Surtur Rising were rather disappointing. However I do agree with you about WDoOS is one of the best AA albums released thus far by them

I disagree. Twilight of the Thundergod and Surtur Rising were rather disappointing. However I do agree with you about WDoOS is one of the best AA albums released thus far by them

My mind is boggling. Twilight of the Thunder God was my first ever death metal album and I can't fathom any emotions towards it that aren't worship or awe.

Subprime

Matt Pike gave me a demo when I was learning from him as a student. Still have it to this day :)

I think i get what your saying...headroom? I feel Dopesmoker has a huge soundstage, but I don't feel suffocated by it.

Wrong meaning of headroom. headroom refers to the level of gain that can be applied to a signal before it begins to distort. I'm just referring to the fact that almost every space in the music filled by the droning of the guitar/bass, so it doesnt leave much room to hear actual acoustics of the space. If you listen to shellac theres more space open to actually hear the acoustics of the instruments within the space.

Primordial is really good. I slept on them for too long.

Yeah they are pretty great, very nicemix of folk/pagan black with amazing vocals. I absolutely adore The Nameless Dead, Heathen Tribes is such an amazing song. The one live show I witnessed was very impressive. I'm thinking of seeing them again: Primordial, Aura Noir, Moonsorrow and Fen on one day, with A Blaze in the Northern Sky cover project as the afterparty.

blahness

That's tonight? I was thinking of going but I didn't really like the look of the venue and I have to work tomorrow.

Venue is tiny as fuck. This is gonna be awesome. If you decide to come, look for the tall guy with short hair in a Dragged into Sunlight shirt.

Ixion

Saw a Coheed concert on Thursday (they're borderline Metal, I know) and it was by far the loudest concert I've been to. I was in the third row and whenever someone screamed into a mic, it destroyed my ears and made me lose balance.

The ringing seems to be slowly going away, but my inner ears are still pretty sore. I hope nothing is permanent.

I learned my lesson and I already bought ear plugs for future concerts.

Saw a Coheed concert on Thursday (they're borderline Metal, I know) and it was by far the loudest concert I've been to. I was in the third row and whenever someone screamed into a mic, it destroyed my ears and made me lose balance.

The ringing seems to be slowly going away, but my inner ears are still pretty sore. I hope nothing is permanent.

I learned my lesson and I already bought ear plugs for future concerts.

Good call. Since a year or so I started using them, because I didn't want to risk damaging my ears anymore. Sometimes it's just too loud and I have to stand all the way in the back when not using plugs.

Don't forget to take the earplugs with you when you go to a concert though. That happened to me too many times. Luckily you have the option to buy them at the venue.

Took a break from becoming acquainted with testament to start listening to blind guardian.

The play count on The Bard's Song is going to hit triple digits so fast it will make my head spin. Rest of the album it was on is enjoyable too.

spink

I'm just referring to the fact that almost every space in the music filled by the droning of the guitar/bass, so it doesnt leave much room to hear actual acoustics of the space. If you listen to shellac theres more space open to actually hear the acoustics of the instruments within the space.

Eh? dynamic range is more the range of dB on a record, headroom refers specifically to the gain that a piece of gear can take before it distorts. IE: my amp has a lot of clean headroom.

what you referred to there was the dynamic range of the song. the difference between the loudest and softest volumes. something that is full of droning guitars would lack dynamic range.

ShaneB

What the fuck happened to In Flames? It's like they're not the same band anymore.

They've been garbage for years, and now with Jesper not even in the band, they are a different band completely. I try and forget about them. I didn't even know they had an album come out last year. Such a shame given how important they were to my musical journey into heavier stuff beyond the common metal bands. I'll still throw on the early albums since I still think they're great. But alas, In Flames gets talked to death sometimes, ignorance is bliss! lol

New album discoveries are always fun. Been listening to 'The Mystery - Apocalypse 666' All weekend. Pretty awesome stuff. Heavy Metal/Power metal/NWOBHM sounding stuff, love it. Female singer, but she's definitely got a bit of a gruffy voice, and I'm not sure I would've known it was a female singer if I wasn't told so. Love the guitar tone as well, perfectly suited for the genre.

The Mystery - Cashgame

Ixion

What the fuck happened to In Flames? It's like they're not the same band anymore.

There isn't one original member left in the band. So yes, they literally aren't the same band. lol

As for their actual sound, I just kept everything from Lunar Strain to Clayman. They still made some solid songs after that, but it's nothing worth keeping. They've gotten very formulaic.

I saw them live in February though and they put on a good show.

Subprime

what you referred to there was the dynamic range of the song. the difference between the loudest and softest volumes. something that is full of droning guitars would lack dynamic range.

oh yeah, I thought you were referring to the other thing I said. yeah, we are in agreement.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So over the weekend, I saw YOB, Weedeater, Rwake, Saint Vitus, and Norska in concert. To say it was awesome would be the understatement of the century. YOB is basically my favorite metal band, and finally being able to see them was the best thing just about ever. All bands rocked it out. Of particular note was Norska, a relatively new band which includes the bassist from YOB. They opened the concert at 8:30pm with some down-tuned thunder so loud it pressurized your chest. YOB finished the concert at well past 1am. Simply amazing stuff.

Kaladin

So over the weekend, I saw YOB, Weedeater, Rwake, Saint Vitus, and Norska in concert. To say it was awesome would be the understatement of the century. YOB is basically my favorite metal band, and finally being able to see them was the best thing just about ever. All bands rocked it out. Of particular note was Norska, a relatively new band which includes the bassist from YOB. They opened the concert at 8:30pm with some down-tuned thunder so loud it pressurized your chest. YOB finished the concert at well past 1am. Simply amazing stuff.

That's some stoner sludge heaven right there.....all you would need is Sleep performing Dopesmoker somewhere in there.

Ixion

So over the weekend, I saw YOB, Weedeater, Rwake, Saint Vitus, and Norska in concert. To say it was awesome would be the understatement of the century. YOB is basically my favorite metal band, and finally being able to see them was the best thing just about ever.

I saw YOB open for Tool back in February. They were so mysterious. They just went onstage, shook the arena with four or five of their songs, said "Cheers", and then left.

Everyone was whispering to each other, "Who was that? They were interesting." Then one guy just got up and shouted, "DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO THE FUCK THAT WAS?!"

Watevaman

Any metal-GAF seeing Korpiklaani on their US tour? There's a show this friday that I'm probably gonna go to, but I really would be going for Tyr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom