• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Malevolent Grain was an extremely boring release. I'm hoping the new full-length won't sound anything like that.

And if you think WitTR is the only good American black metal band then you haven't been listening to enough black metal.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I'm on such a slow internet connection right now that I'm really behind on new releases. There are still a few from 2008 I want to hear, such as the new Dodsferd, Evocation, and Ignivomous, and I haven't even bothered seeing what's new so far this year other than Absu and Blut Aus Nord.

Dr. Strangelove said:
Malevolent Grain was an extremely boring release. I'm hoping the new full-length won't sound anything like that.

And if you think WitTR is the only good American black metal band then you haven't been listening to enough black metal.

From the sounds of it, he didn't like that much black metal.

lopaz

Banned
Hi guys! I have a couple question for those in the know

1) What Megadeth albums should I start with? (gonna buy them all eventually)

2) Are there any notable Metallica B-sides/rarities I should get?

lopaz said:

Megadeth:

1. Rust In Peace
2. Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?
3. So Far...So Good...So What!
4. Countdown To Extinction
5. The System Has Failed
6. United Abomination
7. Kill Is My Business...And Business Is Good! (this is just for kicks and nostalgia)

try and stay away from the "Re-mastered" version. I'm not quite sure if some parts were re-recorded, but the sound across all the classics are flat and thick sounding. The drums were brought too much in the front and the singing sounds way in the back now.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
lopaz said:

1. Rust in Peace
2. Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?
3. Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good!
4. Countdown To Extinction
5. United Abominations
6. Youthanasia

Above person is crazy. Killing Is My Business is awesome, pure thrash.

yacobod

Banned
above lists for megadeth are good, but i'd reshuffle a bit

1. peace sells
2. rust in peace
3. so far, so good, so what
4. countdown to extinction

you can skip the rest really, the above 4 are essentials imo

lopaz

Banned
cheers fellows! Really should I stay away from remastered ones? I bought the remastered Killing is my Business cause I heard the original sounded like arse

NameGenerated

For all those who care, AMON AMARTH announced their U.S. tour dates.

Twilight Of The Thunder God North American Tour pt. 2
Support: GOATWHORE, SKELETONWITCH, LAZARUS AD

11/APR/09 Albuquerque, NM / Sunshine Theater
12/APR/09 Denver, CO / Gothic Theatre
14/APR/09 St. Louis, MO / Pops
15/APR/09 Oklahoma City, OK / Diamond Ballroom
16/APR/09 Dallas, TX / Granada Theater
17/APR/09 San Antonio, TX / White Rabbit
18/APR/09 Houston, TX / Meridian
20/APR/09 Louisville, KY / Headliners
21/APR/09 Cleveland, OH / Peabodys
22/APR/09 Buffalo, NY / Town Ballroom
23/APR/09 Pittsburgh, PA / Mr. Smalls
24/APR/09 Sayreville, NJ / Starland Ballroom
25/APR/09 Hartford, CT / Webster Theatre
26/APR/09 Baltimore, MD / Sonar
28/APR/09 Norfolk, VA / The NorVA
29/APR/09 Raleigh, NC / Volume 11
30/APR/09 Atlanta, GA / Masquerade
01/MAY/09 Orlando, FL / Club Firestone

Definitely going and they are taking Skeletonwitch too. Gonna be awesome.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Just bought Killing Is My Business..., the only Megadeth album missing in my collection. I already know most of the songs but I'm a completionist. Pretty good remaster.

Also, for the guy that asked, here's my Megadeth album ranking:

1. Rust In Peace
2. Youthanasia
3. Peace Sells...
4. Countdown to Extinction
5. Risk
6. Cryptic Writings
7. So Far, So Good... So What?
8. The System Has Failed
9. The World Needs a Hero
10. United Abominations

I suspect Killing Is My Business will probably slot in between Peace Sells... and Countdown to Extinction.

XShagrath

NameGenerated said:
For all those who care, AMON AMARTH announced their U.S. tour dates.

Thanks, NG! I saw them once a few years ago, and missed them on their last tour. I'll be at the Orlando show, for sure!

Ravager61

EschatonDX said:
Atheist is so amazing. God I love Unquestionable Presence so much. The playing and composition is phenomenal.

Atheist is quite good. They are just one of the many reasons I wish I was going to Maryland Deathfest this year. God that lineup is so awesome.

As a side note, are there any brutal/slam death fans here? Im talkin stuff like Wormed, Devourment, Abominable Putridity, Human Mincer, etc. Been listening to this shit a lot lately.

yacobod

Banned
XShagrath said:
Thanks, NG! I saw them once a few years ago, and missed them on their last tour. I'll be at the Orlando show, for sure!

last time i seen AA was when they were opening for COB in like 2005 at the hob in chicago, too bad they are not coming back to the chicago are, i wouldve liked to see them again

NameGenerated

yacobod said:
last time i seen AA was when they were opening for COB in like 2005 at the hob in chicago, too bad they are not coming back to the chicago are, i wouldve liked to see them again
On the first leg of the NA tour they played up in Springfield, VA which is like a 4 hour drive for me, so I didn't go, but now they are coming right to my city. I can't wait.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Ordered the following vinyl from Musicdirect.com:

Megadeth - Rust In Peace (180g)
Black Sabbath - Sabotage (clear vinyl)
Black Sabbath - s/t (180g)
Venom - Welcome to Hell (180g)

Aside from Rust In Peace I don't have any of those albums so it will be nice to round off my collection.

XShagrath

I missed out on Amon Amarth the last time they were in Orlando, which was Nov. '06, I believe. Last time I was them was in 2002 when they were supposed to be touring with Marduk. Marduk couldn't get work permits for the US, so AA headlined. It was great!

Witchfinder General said:
Ordered the following vinyl from Musicdirect.com:

Megadeth - Rust In Peace (180g)
Black Sabbath - Sabotage (clear vinyl)
Black Sabbath - s/t (180g)
Venom - Welcome to Hell (180g)

Aside from Rust In Peace I don't have any of those albums so it will be nice to round off my collection.

Sabotage is my favorite by far. So underrated.

Formless

lopaz said:

2. Garage Inc. covers all their notable covers. I Disappear is a pretty good track on the Mission Impossible 2 soundtrack. They also have a great version of Ecstasy of Gold on the album, "We All Love Ennio Morricone"

onset_cover.gif

Great thread,t hough I'm amazed that this hasn't been mentioned. (If I missed it I apologize) Awesome technical deathmetal with some beautiful guitarwork/composition while still managing to be pretty brutal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SRD6mjrUMo

Also, Psycroptics earlier stuff is great. Scepter of the anciencts should be checked out by anyone who likes tech-death.

teruterubozu said:
Sabotage is my favorite by far. So underrated.
Yep. Imo it's every bit as good as Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. My favourite is Master of Reality but you can't go wrong with their first 6 albums anyway.

I haven't listened to Sabotage in ages. Never really clicked with me. But now I threw it for a spin and it is indeed quite awesome. I forget how good tracks like Hole in the Sky, Megalomania and Supertzar are. Thanks for helping me rediscover a Sabbath album ;)

Now, to jump into the Malevolent Grain debate, I think it was definitely a lackluster release. I would never say "extremely boring", or even "boring", but it did lack some of the dynamics that made the earlier releases so interesting. The all-female vocals on A Looming Resonance were kinda off for me. Though I know she's always done the backing it really didn't fit with here as a main vocalist, lacked that punch that came from the screaming vox. Still, the riffs and general production were all-right. Hate Crystal felt somewhat uninspired. That said, it's hard not to give them cred for pure epicness, and daring to go with all female vox is pretty ballsy. Aside from that, I'm really digging the production, it's very atmospheric. Reminds me of Drudkh. I'm still very much looking forward to the album, hoping we'll see a slight shift, either into new territory or back into 12 Diadems mode.

Oh, and as for the Weakling-clone comment, I never really saw that. Sure, they've had an obvious influence, but WitTR always struck me as "ethereal" black metal, whereas Weakling is pure darkness. Both are genius in their own right, and fairly distinct, imo.

But while on the subject, what are some other good USBM bands? I've heard people praising the scene but I haven't gotten into it that much yet.

This is what I got, and enjoy:
WitTR - Everything
Weakling - Weakling
Nachtmystium - Black Meddle, Worldfall, Instincts: Decay, Demise, Eulogy IV. (The earlier stuff doesn't do much for me)
Krallice - Krallice
Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide, To Violate the Oblivious.

I tried Leviathan's Conspiracy Against All Life, but that was just way too dark for me. It's the same with Deathspell Omega. I can see that there's good stuff in there, but I just can't enjoy it.

And to give you a general idea of my BM-preferences overall:
Burzum
Mayhem (The Atilla records mostly)
Drudkh
Negura Bunget
Emperor
Ulver
Early Satyricon
Borknagar (first four)
Arcturus
Gehenna
Enslaved
and recently, Blut Aus Nord

FFChris

lopaz said:
cheers fellows! Really should I stay away from remastered ones? I bought the remastered Killing is my Business cause I heard the original sounded like arse

I'm not sure about the other remasters, but the Rust In Peace remaster is pretty rubbish, they butchered the Five Magics vocals along with a few other vocal parts. I'd stick with the originals if you can.

Crescendo170 said:
Great thread,t hough I'm amazed that this hasn't been mentioned. (If I missed it I apologize) Awesome technical deathmetal with some beautiful guitarwork/composition while still managing to be pretty brutal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SRD6mjrUMo

Also, Psycroptics earlier stuff is great. Scepter of the anciencts should be checked out by anyone who likes tech-death.

Probably has been mentioned, but Necrophagist are an excellent band. One of my favorite solos is in Fermented Offal Discharge. I hope they work on some new material soon.

Will have to check out Psycroptics.

Arhal_Katarn

I know Triviums first two albums are Metalcore but what other bands sound like they do on there? While i am on Trivium i would just like to say that Shogun was superb and far better then the crusade.
So anyone here planning on going to Download 09?

JimmyV

Banned
wow!.....how is United Abomination coming in so low on your lists?

then again.....it would be hard to rank them since so many of their albums are very good...

Ceres

Banned
For any prog fans, Redemption finally has their live DVD available for preorder.

Amazon link

The track listing consists of:
Threads
Bleed Me Dry
Nocturnal
Memory
The Suffocating Silence
Release
Fall On You
Sapphire
The Death of Faith & Reason

+ a 12 minute unreleased instrumental song that Nick wrote for a Dream Theater songwriting contest, lots of video of the band on tour and other stuff.

____

I was at this show.

Mandewd

Neo Member
ive gotten hooked on Avantasia lately, Metal Opera Pt. 2 has been my favourite album, although The Scarecrow has a couple of my favourite songs (The Scarecrow, Another Angel Down)

TheExodu5

Banned
Any Opeth-like bands out there? Friggin' love Opeth, especially their fantastic drumming (both drummers at that). I was really impressed with Watershed, it's now my favorite album of all time. :D

The closest I've heard so far is Between the Buried and me. Like em a lot, but they're definitely a more metalcore-ish approach.

Sandman42

TheExodu5 said:
Any Opeth-like bands out there? Friggin' love Opeth, especially their fantastic drumming (both drummers at that). I was really impressed with Watershed, it's now my favorite album of all time. :D

The closest I've heard so far is Between the Buried and me. Like em a lot, but they're definitely a more metalcore-ish approach.
CYNIC.

Try their latest album "Traced in Air". Great drumming.

Ceres

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

For lighter side of Opeth, try Riverside. For heavier side of Opeth, try Swallow the Sun

TheExodu5

Banned
Ceres said:
For lighter side of Opeth, try Riverside. For heavier side of Opeth, try Swallow the Sun

Thanks.

Sandman42 said:
CYNIC.

Try their latest album "Traced in Air". Great drumming.

Heh last time I heard Cynic they didn't sound too Opeth-ish. They're the ones with the synth vocals right? I think the song I heard was Veil of Maya. I actually like it quite a bit though, so I'll check out the new album. :)

Ravager61

Shrike_Priest said:
But while on the subject, what are some other good USBM bands? I've heard people praising the scene but I haven't gotten into it that much yet.
While not USBM, you might enjoy Mgla.

Also check out Peste Noire's first album.

Giant Robot said:
Cynic is nothing like Opeth.

Most bands are pretty different from Opeth. They are not my favorite band ever but they do have a fairly unique sound imo. Cynic is a good rec for an Opeth fan I would say.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
TheExodu5 said:
While not extremely similar (more in the avant-garde metal realm), I'd definitely recommend maudlin of the Well. They were just as eclectic and brutally heavy at times. Look for Bath and Leaving Your Body Map, which are companion albums — a couple of my favorites of all-time.

Very few bands sound exactly like Opeth, but if you enjoy Opeth odds are you'll find something you like among many other progressive metal bands. At least I did.

Cynic (get past the synth vocals, they're an amazing band)
Death (Sound of Perseverence, Human)
Hieronymous Bosch (I still think they're the one's closest to Opeth's sound)
Edge of Sanity (Mikael guests both vox and guitars on the allmighty Crimson album)
Katatonia (Not prog, but some albums share the dynamics of Opeth, heavy vs soft and so on. Particularly Brave Murder Day and Sounds of Decay. They also feature Mikael on vocals)
Agalloch
Sculptured
Enslaved (their later stuff in particular. From Below the Lights and onward).

I'll check out Mgla and Peste Noir

On a side note, I found a pretty decent Swedish black metal band called Waning.

detail-waning-populationcontrol.gif

I don't really know what to compare it to, but it's fairly bleak, not exactly melodic, but not Marduk-harsh either. They give off a kind of post-rock vibe occassionally. I was pleasantly surprised.

Flynn

Here are the set times for Scion Rockfest

OUTDOOR STAGE
1:00-1:40pm Kylesa
2:00-2:40pm Torche
3:00-3:40pm Baroness
4:00-4:50pm Boris
5:10-5:40pm Pig Destroyer
6:00-7:00pm High On Fire
7:30pm-9:00pm Neurosis
9:30pm-11:00pm Mastodon

INDOOR STAGE #1
1:10pm-1:55pm Evil Army
2:15pm-2:40pm Trash Talk
3:00pm-3:45pm Skeletonwitch
4:10pm-5:00pm Toxic Holocaust
5:20pm-6:05pm Warbringer
6:30pm-7:30pm Septic Flesh
8:30pm-9:30pm Cryptopsy
11:00pm-12:00am Converge

INDOOR STAGE #2
1:15pm-2:00pm Apocalyptic Visions
2:20pm-3:05pm Salome
3:25pm-4:10pm US Christmas
4:30pm-5:15pm Withered
5:35pm-6:25pm Krallice
6:45pm-7:45pm Wolves In The Throne Room
8:15pm-9:15pm Nachtmystium
10:25pm-11:25pm 1349

INDOOR STAGE #3
1:00pm-1:35pm Gaylord
1:55pm-2:30pm Suidakra
2:50pm-3:35pm Alestorm
3:55pm-4:40pm A Storm Of Light
5:00pm-5:45pm Harvey Milk
6:05pm-6:50pm Rwake
7:20pm-8:05pm Tyr
8:45pm-9:30pm Coalese
10:00pm-11:00pm Zoroaster

My main goal will be to see Krallice, Wolves and Nachtmystium.

I'll probably check out Torche and Baroness before.

This will be the first time I actively avoid Boris. I've seem them something like five times now, though.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Flynn said:
Here are the set times for Scion Rockfest

My main goal will be to see Krallice, Wolves and Nachtmystium.

I'll probably check out Torche and Baroness before.

This will be the first time I actively avoid Boris. I've seem them something like five times now, though.

I'm surprised the stages/lineups are split up that well by genre.

NameGenerated

Baroness was awesome when I saw them, they basically played for around hour straight, never stopping. Their drummer is really fun to watch.

XShagrath

Going to a pretty crazy show tomorrow. Really odd mix of bands performing.

Tyr
Alestorm
Suidakra

Should be a pretty awesome show, but I wonder who booked this tour? These bands have very little in common, other than all being metal.

NameGenerated

NameGenerated said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/5zjjfc.jpg

Well that's pretty lame. I guess they want to give MW and LoG more time due to them both being from Richmond. Too bad it couldn't be Bodom instead of God Forbid. =\
So it now appears that, for one night, they split the tour. Bodom co-headlining here in Norfolk with As I lay Dying (No thanks), while LoG and MW is playing in Richmond. It'd be much easier just to stay here and see Bodom again, who played here back in September. I'm not really sure though. I can't be in 2 places at once.

Also there is this Virginia Death Fest coming here as well.

It's got Suffocation, Vital Remains, Beneath the Massacre, Whitechapel, Decrepit Birth, Veil of Maya, ABACABB, Dead by Wednesday, Otis, carbomb, Seraph, Mensrea, Applaud The Impaler, Construkt, Malthus, Art of Destruction, In the Throes of Agony, Waiting Mortuary, Wings of the Apocalypse, Embrace The Tragedy, Nomtron, In Alcatraz, Cyaghea, Eyes Wide With Terror, Replay Of A Murder and Hot And Sweaty, Low And Heavy.

I've only heard of like 3 of those bands (Suffocation, Whitechape, and Decrepit Birth) and I've never actually heard any songs by them. Maybe some of you know them.

Ravager61

NameGenerated said:
So it now appears that, for one night, they split the tour. Bodom co-headlining here in Norfolk with As I lay Dying (No thanks), while LoG and MW is playing in Richmond. It'd be much easier just to stay here and see Bodom again, who played here back in September. I'm not really sure though. I can't be in 2 places at once.

Also there is this Virginia Death Fest coming here as well.

It's got Suffocation, Vital Remains, Beneath the Massacre, Whitechapel, Decrepit Birth, Veil of Maya, ABACABB, Dead by Wednesday, Otis, carbomb, Seraph, Mensrea, Applaud The Impaler, Construkt, Malthus, Art of Destruction, In the Throes of Agony, Waiting Mortuary, Wings of the Apocalypse, Embrace The Tragedy, Nomtron, In Alcatraz, Cyaghea, Eyes Wide With Terror, Replay Of A Murder and Hot And Sweaty, Low And Heavy.

I've only heard of like 3 of those bands (Suffocation, Whitechape, and Decrepit Birth) and I've never actually heard any songs by them. Maybe some of you know them.

That lineup is pretty terrible to telly you the truth. Only suffocation would be worth seeing (for me anyway).

NameGenerated

Ravager61 said:
That lineup is pretty terrible to telly you the truth. Only suffocation would be worth seeing (for me anyway).
I have no interest at all, honestly. I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard of these bands. :lol

Indeed it is. And you know what else is? Peste Noire.

Thanks a bundle for that recommendation Ravager61, "La Sanie…" was a killer album. I don't know if it stands the test of time, but right now I'm thinking "Nattens Madrigal"-level greatness.

Since they definitely deserve some more attention, here's a demo version of Dueil Angoisseus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3TWIPIP-w

It's very folky, atmospheric and bleak. It's a bit slow on the startup, but it's seriously beautiful. The youtube version is slightly cut as well, there's a longer intro on the full version.

Seriously though, I think fans of Agalloch and other folky type metal would love this.

Hellcrow

TheExodu5 said:

Ihsahn's solo albums have many Opeth like tracks. Åkerfeldt even guests on the new album, angL.

Orphaned Land is also prog metal like Opeth, just more oriental. Check out their masterpiece Mabool: The Story of Three Sons of Seven.

wRATH2x

Banned
Guys,am I wrong for thinking Kill Em All - Black Album Metallica are the greatest band of all time??

Oh and I keep hearing how awesome Opeth are suppose to be,where should I start??

Oh and I wanna know when most vocals in metal went from powerful or eerie vocals to mostly growling?,I really only like Nathan Explosions :lol :lol ,any vocalist similar to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom