• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

They lost their vocalist?! That sucks... I've been a big fan of theirs since Terminate Damnation. I've seen them live twice as well, they always put on a great show.

Man, I still want to hear the new album but that is some really bad news.
Yeah, I was a big fan as well. Instrumentally, the sound is a lot heavier/focused compared to their last release, but I can't help but feel that the new vocalist has them sounding like a bunch of other bands in the genre now. It's not necessarily a bad thing if it's a sound you dig, but I always thought the other vocalist's range was pretty a pretty distinguishable trait of their sound.

forcing myself through the new BTBAM. pure wankery garbage. terrible songwriting.

i know Im hards on this band but they used to be my favorite band and it sucks when a band strays so far from what made them great. I'm all for bands experimenting and evolving (see Mastodon w/ crack the skye) but sometimes it's for the worse

Yeah...I still really like them as a whole and they're still one of my favorite bands, but this album isn't really that good. It's like they wrote three albums worth of material and just crammed it all into one at the cost of good, memorable songwriting. Occasionally you hear blips of greatness on this album, but then they move onto the next, less stellar riff two seconds later, and it rarely comes together to form a cohesive whole. Granted, this band pretty much requires double digit listens for their music to really sink in, and I've only gone through it once, but from the first time through, it seems like their worst progressive era work :/

-Eddman-

Been listening to this album recently since my brother bought the vinyl:

W.A.S.P - The Headless Children

7Rlwi.jpg

And damn, this is a really good album. W.A.S.P is often considered as one of the many generic, cheesy glam bands from the 80's, but the album totally proves this wrong. This is probably one of the best "classic" Heavy albums I've heard.

The opener, "The Heretic" is fast and aggressive but full of melody and great hooks at the same time. The solos, while not very complex are far from the generic shredding that plagues the genre.

The title track is another amazing standout that reminds me a little bit of Dio's solo stuff. Another one I really liked was The Neutron Bomber.

It came out in 1989 so it was kind of overlooked as Thrash was king at the time, but I can recommend it as a true 80's Heavy classic.

Quikies83

forcing myself through the new BTBAM. pure wankery garbage. terrible songwriting.

i know Im hards on this band but they used to be my favorite band and it sucks when a band strays so far from what made them great. I'm all for bands experimenting and evolving (see Mastodon w/ crack the skye) but sometimes it's for the worse

Totally agree... Used to be my favorite band but since Colors -- it has all been down hill, IMO.

Blackheim

http://i.imgur.com/7Rlwi.jpg

And damn, this is a really good album. W.A.S.P is often considered as one of the many generic, cheesy glam bands from the 80's, but the album totally proves this wrong. This is probably one of the best "classic" Heavy albums I've heard.

The opener, "The Heretic" is fast and aggressive but full of melody and great hooks at the same time. The solos, while not very complex are far from the generic shredding that plagues the genre.

The title track is another amazing standout that reminds me a little bit of Dio's solo stuff. Another one I really liked was The Neutron Bomber.

It came out in 1989 so it was kind of overlooked as Thrash was king at the time, but I can recommend it as a true 80's Heavy classic.

I don't know how they got lumped into the Glam category. Well, maybe their Inside the Electric Circus era had something to do with that. Anyway, they definitely aren't/weren't Glam. Cheesy at times? Certainly but, that was part of their charm :p Anyway yes, The Headless Children is a damned good album. After the cheese of Inside..., Blackie felt compelled to take the music a little more seriously heh.

Give their album Dying For The World a shot. Some really good stuff on that one. Actually most of their albums have many great songs. Then again I'm a bit biased I guess, I love W.A.S.P. and have been listening to them forever :p

From Dying For The World:
W.A.S.P. - Shadow Man

W.A.S.P. - Hell For Eternity

W.A.S.P. - Stone Cold Killers

Random W.A.S.P. Awesome:
The Flame

Widowmaker

The Rock Rolls On

The Idol

Black Forever

Cocaine Cowboys

Raven Heart

Long, Long Way To Go

Live To Die Another Day

New Witchcraft album is out, Legend.

I mean is good... but I was expecting something more like the debut - slow doom rock. Legend is far, very far from that.

Fxp

New Witchcraft album is out, Legend.

I mean is good... but I was expecting something more like the debut - slow doom rock. Legend is far, very far from that.

The singles released earlier are nothing special but the album is a let-down, at least for me. Instead of doom rock we got generic hard rock.

I've been on a Grief kick today.
Lifeless
Depression
Hate Grows Stronger
Ruined
Polluted

Our reasons for disbanding are our reasons. We have chosen not to get into it, but it may or may not include the following reasons:

- Jeff has finally become Rip Van Winkle and will be asleep for the next 50 years.
- Ray has finally eaten so much that he cannot fit out of the door to his house and is unable to leave home.
- John has become so death metal that we' d have to actually be ghosts to jam with him and none of us feel like it.
- Eric finally became an actual dog and has not learned how to play bass or do artwork with his paws.
Their reasons for breaking up always makes me laugh.

Gaspode_T

Loud Park 2012 (Japan's yearly metal festival) lineup is basically final now:
http://www.loudpark.com/12/lineup/index.html

Pretty decent mix if you ask me, tastes for all sorts (trust me there are tons of 50 year old Japanese ladies in leather at these concerts, they will be slobbering all over Sebastian from front row...let me remind you that Japanese 50 year old lady looks like 35 or something so he probably won't mind)

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Totally agree... Used to be my favorite band but since Colors -- it has all been down hill, IMO.

agreed however colors wasnt as "great" as most BTBAM fanatics make it out to be...anyways, im listening to Alaska right now to reminisce. :D

Nopren

agreed however colors wasnt as "great" as most BTBAM fanatics make it out to be...anyways, im listening to Alaska right now to reminisce. :D

Do BTBAM fans even listen to their "S/T" and "The Silent Circus"? I've stopped listening to them after those two albums, because I've had enough of their "style".

Quikies83

Do BTBAM fans even listen to their "S/T" and "The Silent Circus"? I've stopped listening to them after those two albums, because I've had enough of their "style".

Their Self-Titled album is by far my favorite.. From start to finish - fantastic album. The Silent Circus was the first album I ever heard by btbam - loved it. Alaska had a few good tracks but, IMO -- Self-titled > Colors > The Silent Circus > Alaska

Enosh

Loud Park 2012 (Japan's yearly metal festival) lineup is basically final now:
http://www.loudpark.com/12/lineup/index.html

Pretty decent mix if you ask me, tastes for all sorts (trust me there are tons of 50 year old Japanese ladies in leather at these concerts, they will be slobbering all over Sebastian from front row...let me remind you that Japanese 50 year old lady looks like 35 or something so he probably won't mind)
wait christopher amott has a solo project?
didn't he leave arch enemy (again) to stop with music?

stealth edit: apparently I read wrong, he left to focus on his solo stuff
need to look up if his stuff is any good
edit: well that isn't what I expected, but I guess the point of solo projects is to not do the same stuff you do in your main band ^^

FACE

Banned

http://i.imgur.com/7Rlwi.jpg[IMG]

And damn, this is a really good album. [B]W.A.S.P is often considered as one of the many generic, cheesy glam bands from the 80's[/B], but the album totally proves this wrong. This is probably one of the best "classic" Heavy albums I've heard.

The opener, "[URL="http://youtu.be/7IvJElAshI0"]The Heretic[/URL]" is fast and aggressive but full of melody and great hooks at the same time. The solos, while not very complex are far from the generic shredding that plagues the genre.

The [URL="http://youtu.be/KOmWOsfM6As"]title track[/URL] is another amazing standout that reminds me a little bit of Dio's solo stuff. Another one I really liked was [URL="http://youtu.be/_EgXoYkmFkQ"]The Neutron Bomber[/URL].

It came out in 1989 so it was kind of overlooked as Thrash was king at the time, but I can recommend it as a true 80's Heavy classic.[/QUOTE]

Screw whoever thinks like that, [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ1-tSsq9xk]Murders in the New Morgue[/url] is one of the best songs EVER!

Gaspode_T

Christopher Amott left Arch Enemy and was replaced permanently with one of the guitarists from Arsis.

I think the music he makes now is kind of soft and subtle for an arena gig, we will see what happens, who knows maybe he will whip out Snowblind.

I am super super super hyped for Cryptopsy

Screw whoever thinks like that, Murders in the New Morgue is one of the best songs EVER!

The Crimson Idol is such a fantastic, overlooked album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boptcdvX27E&feature=related

A Dudás

Video from the new Dalriada album Napisten Hava coming out soon.

One of the best folk metal bands, if you haven't heard them they are a must listen.

Righteous. Dalriada are one of my absolute favorite discoveries of recent years. If you go back a bajillion pages in this very thread you will probably find a few posts of me making sweet, sweet verbal love to their album "Igeret" when I first got it. It's such a damn perfect folk metal album. This new song is really great too, a bit more out there and less straight forward than most of Igeret, but I dig it immensely.

Speaking of Folk Metal, the Korpiklaani/Moonsorrow/Tyr show was an absolute blast. Got me a sweet Moonsorrow hoodie. Just in time for fall.

Nopren

Their Self-Titled album is by far my favorite.. From start to finish - fantastic album. The Silent Circus was the first album I ever heard by btbam - loved it. Alaska had a few good tracks but, IMO -- Self-titled > Colors > The Silent Circus > Alaska

Hmm, did they change their style later on? As in, would it be worth it, trying to listen to some of their newer if you got tired of it after the first two albums?

Righteous. Dalriada are one of my absolute favorite discoveries of recent years. If you go back a bajillion pages in this very thread you will probably find a few posts of me making sweet, sweet verbal love to their album "Igeret" when I first got it. It's such a damn perfect folk metal album. This new song is really great too, a bit more out there and less straight forward than most of Igeret, but I dig it immensely.

Speaking of Folk Metal, the Korpiklaani/Moonsorrow/Tyr show was an absolute blast. Got me a sweet Moonsorrow hoodie. Just in time for fall.

Arany Album is my favorite, although I love them all. Igeret is fantastic.

They're a special band, god tier skill and songwriting.

That video is so good, folk metal bands usually suck at videos. The last one I really felt was convincing and not too cheesy was forever ago, Lumsk "i lytinne två". (from the legendary Åsmund Frægdegjevar).

Nice pickup on that hoodie at the show, it's fuckin sweet. I bought two Moonsorrow tshirts. After I saw Tyr I thought damn, I should have gotten that cool Tyr one with the logo, they totally got me back with that set lol.

Isn't Dino from Dystopia doing vocals for Noothgrush currently? I wonder if they'll record new material with him on vocals.

I wish Grief would get back together. Seeing a dog play bass would be a dream come true.

Yes, Dino is the singer for Noothgrush now. He's more and more crusty and filthy every time I see him. One time I went to some show and we both had a General Surgery shirt on, it was pretty awkward, haha.

Ixion

My ears are still ringing 12 days later. I might be looking at permanent Tinnitus. Great.

Has anyone had ringing that went on for more than a week and still went away?

Nopren

My ears are still ringing 12 days later. I might be looking at permanent Tinnitus. Great.

I've had for about two weeks, and all of a sudden it went away. Though probably still a good idea to take care.

Seanspeed

Banned

Yea, I've had that.

My ears are also terrible now, though, so I'm not a positive example. Spent way too much time playing in bands without using earplugs.

I really can't believe I'm going to be holding Wintersun's "Time I" in less than a month. Been waiting for it the entire time I've known the band.

... Touch wood.

I got to see Nightwish and Kamelot monday.

It was my first introduction to Kamelot and I must say, I'm hooked.

As for Nightwish, I've waited like 6 years to see them, and they did NOT disappointing!! It was interesting seeing Anette's take on older songs. Plus a dude rocking out on bagpipes how could you not love a metal show that has a dude rocking out on bagpipes!

I got to see Nightwish and Kamelot monday.

It was my first introduction to Kamelot and I must say, I'm hooked.

As for Nightwish, I've waited like 6 years to see them, and they did NOT disappointing!! It was interesting seeing Anette's take on older songs. Plus a dude rocking out on bagpipes how could you not love a metal show that has a dude rocking out on bagpipes!

Saw this show in Philly a week or so ago, it was fantastic.

My only complaints were the sets were too short. Kamelot got 40 mins, Nightwish maybe 90 or so. Loved it otherwise, really great performances by both bands. Troy (the bagpipe player) brings a lot to Nightwish's live set, I hope he becomes a permanent member, at least for touring.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
Saw this show in Philly a week or so ago, it was fantastic.

My only complaints were the sets were too short. Kamelot got 40 mins, Nightwish maybe 90 or so. Loved it otherwise, really great performances by both bands. Troy (the bagpipe player) brings a lot to Nightwish's live set, I hope he becomes a permanent member, at least for touring.

True dat. I've seen live performances from Nightwish on youtube, and I really can't wait to see them in November here in Mexico. I love Troy's folk touch is really good. Specially during "I Want My Tears Back" which is my favourite song from Imaginaerum, and is like sooooooo amazing!

Ambitious

I still hadn't decided if I should attend the Heidenfest (Wintersun!) when my sister asked me out of nowhere if I wanted to go with her. Didn't even know she was listening to Wintersun. As yesterday was her birthday, I bought a ticket for her and one for me. I'm hyped.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I still hadn't decided if I should attend the Heidenfest (Wintersun!) when my sister asked me out of nowhere if I wanted to go with her. Didn't even know she was listening to Wintersun. As yesterday was her birthday, I bought a ticket for her and one for me. I'm hyped.

do it betch!!!! :D

Im gonna see wintersun at the roxy in los angeles...
:D

so excite!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Anyone been listening to Self Spiller's debut album? For those who don't know, Self Spiller is a side-project of Jason Walton and Don Anderson of Agalloch. The full lineup of contributing musicians is huge though:

Jason Walton (Agalloch, Sculptured)
Marius Sjøli (Formloff)
Robert Osgood
Rob Kleiner (Tub Ring)
Bernt Karsten Sannerud (Formloff)
Food Fortunata
Brock Bousfield (Nero's Day at Disneyland)
Don Anderson (Agalloch, Sculptured)
Svein Egil Hatlevik (Fleurety)
Mirai Kawashima (Sigh)
Dr. Mikannibal (Sigh)
Andy Winter (Age of Silence)

I'd really recommend checking out their first release, "Worms in the Keys", if you like really out-there experimental/prog metal.

e_i

Anyone been listening to Self Spiller's debut album? For those who don't know, Self Spiller is a side-project of Jason Walton and Don Anderson of Agalloch. The full lineup of contributing musicians is huge though:

Jason Walton (Agalloch, Sculptured)
Marius Sjøli (Formloff)
Robert Osgood
Rob Kleiner (Tub Ring)
Bernt Karsten Sannerud (Formloff)
Food Fortunata
Brock Bousfield (Nero's Day at Disneyland)
Don Anderson (Agalloch, Sculptured)
Svein Egil Hatlevik (Fleurety)
Mirai Kawashima (Sigh)
Dr. Mikannibal (Sigh)
Andy Winter (Age of Silence)

I'd really recommend checking out their first release, "Worms in the Keys", if you like really out-there experimental/prog metal.

Where do I find them, other than Myspace? Bandcamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom