• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw High on Fire last night in Sydney. Not very familiar with their music but it was a pretty great show.

Soooooo jealous! ;_;They are one of my top 3 favourite bands (see avatar, I guess)! Listen to their newest album "De Vermis Mysteriis" or the older ones like "Death Is This Communion" or "Blessed Black Wings"... ;_; They need to come to europe!

sgjackson

Soooooo jealous! ;_;They are one of my top 3 favourite bands (see avatar, I guess)! Listen to their newest album "De Vermis Mysteriis" or the older ones like "Death Is This Communion" or "Blessed Black Wings"... ;_; They need to come to europe!

De Vermis Mysteriis is pretty good but I'd definitely start with the older stuff.

Carcetti

I got to see Nightwish and Kamelot monday.

It was my first introduction to Kamelot and I must say, I'm hooked.

As for Nightwish, I've waited like 6 years to see them, and they did NOT disappointing!! It was interesting seeing Anette's take on older songs. Plus a dude rocking out on bagpipes how could you not love a metal show that has a dude rocking out on bagpipes!

Not sure if you heard yet, but Anette is actually leaving the band with another singer replacing her mid tour.

edit: too slow

So, Anette Olzon is out of Nightwish. Sort of happened out of nowhere.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=180161

Not sure if you heard yet, but Anette is actually leaving the band with another singer replacing her mid tour.

edit: too slow

WOW, Nightwish replacing her for one show when she was sick and her talking shit about it must have pissed Nightwish off.

TBH, I'd rather see the new 'temp' chick. I'm sure she would be significantly more mobile and more entertaining.

Tuomas gets pissy too quick.

Now their replacement needs to hit Anette's and Tarja's styles.

I can already hear the fangirls howling with delight at the thought of them getting Tarja or a similar vocalist (like Heidi Parviainen) back, but I don't see it happening.

It's gonna be someone like Floor Jansen I think, someone who sings with a more straight forward delivery, maybe with a bit more grit than Anette.

And yes, Tuomas clearly has issues with whoever holds the mic in this band.

strafer

Fuck yeah.

New Live Album "Machine Fucking Head Live"!

Oct 01, 2012
The best way to experience the almighty Machine Head is in the live setting. The Northern California band has established itself as one of the best live acts in the hard rock and metal world, bringing venues and crowds to their knees with flawless onstage execution of their songs. Few, if any of their peers can deliver the type of sweat-soaked, utterly deafening and fully punishing live sets that the band turns in night after night with near-religious fervor in their native U.S. and across the globe.

That's why the band, who routinely shake the bedrock and foundation of venues, had to capture its live fury on tape... again.

The band will release "Machine Fucking Head Live" on November 13. It's Machine Head's second live effort; HellaLive was released in 2003. Nine years have passed and Machine Head still slay and administer a beating in the live realm.

The band, affectionately known as "Machine Fucking Head" to their fans - who are in turn affectionately known as "Head Cases" and often sing louder than the band at shows - has effectively captured its live firepower.

"Machine Fucking Head Live" was recorded at various tour stops across the globe last year. It includes songs from the band's expansive catalog, including pit-stirring crowd favorites such as "Imperium", "Aesthetics of Hate", "Locust", "Ten Ton Hammer", "This Is The End" and of course, "Halo."

"The Head Cases have been so intense on this tour cycle that we had to start capturing the shows, especially with technology making it so much easier to record", said frontman Robb Flynn. "We culled some of the best nights where the band and crowd were on fire and made a bad-ass, nearly two-hour, double-live album, which is a great documentation of where the band is at 18 years deep."

Tracklist:

01. I Am Hell (Sonata in C#)

02. Be Still And Know

03. Imperium

04. Beautiful Mourning

05. The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears

06. Locust

07. This Is The End

08. Aesthetics Of Hate

09. Old

10. Darkness Within

11. Bulldozer

12. Ten Ton Hammer

13. Who We Are

14. Halo

15. Davidian

mfhl.jpg

faridmon

Maybe its costum for Nightwish to change the Vocalist every few years or so. Suddenly I am not as angry as I was when Tarja was fired.

Overall, I sort of warmed up to Anette. Can't wait to see who is her replacement.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Wow, this was totally unexpected. She probably dumped Toumas and he went into revenge mode (j/k)

On woman lead singer front, the good news is several weeks old - Lori Lewis is now permanent vocalist at Therion

ManeKast

Got tickets to nightwish and two dates next year in Australia, the replacement singer better be good I am travelling pretty far to see them play with Sabaton. Damn.

So Nightwish lost her, reminds me of Tristania losing Vibeke. I don't think they've ever been the same :( Also - I've been out of the loop with Therion. Are they still in the sad shape they were after basically everyone left? Pretty sure there's only like one original member left :(

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Iron Maiden concert in Stockholm sold out in record time - over 50.000 tickets gone in less than 15 minutes

So Londoners: Any great gigs this month with awesome Metal band?

Here's a few;

. Dragon Force at the Shepherds Bush Empire on the 6th
. Overkill at the O2 Academy Islington on the 7th
. Voivod at the Highbury Garage on the 7th
. Decapitated at the Highbury Garage on the 18th
. Down at the Camden Roundhouse on the 21st
. Evile & Wolf at the Garage on the 28th

faridmon

Here's a few;

. Dragon Force at the Shepherds Bush Empire on the 6th
. Overkill at the O2 Academy Islington on the 7th
. Voivod at the Highbury Garage on the 7th
. Decapitated at the Highbury Garage on the 18th
. Down at the Camden Roundhouse on the 21st
. Evile & Wolf at the Garage on the 28th

Thank you. I have to choose very hard amongst those. I have never listened to any of those. Any MeloDeath bands amongst them?

Greg

CnumQ.jpg

the new Sylosis CD is up for stream:
http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/10/02/exclusive-full-album-stream-sylosis-monolith/

for anyone unfamiliar with them, they're a modern melodic thrash/metalcore band (instrumentally more thrash, vocally more metalcore with a great range of screams) - here's a song off their last CD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4nV9o8Y8FM

seqMT.jpg

And I just came across this band, Dawn of Dementia. It's some fantastic technical death metal (more comparable to Necrophagist and Obscura than Gorod)

they just posted their new EP on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DawnofDementia

Metalmarc

Ah good i'll give the syslosis a listen tommorow, and my copy of devin townsends epicloud should be here soon, iv'e already heard it a few times and think it's great

Fuck yes will be getting the new live machine head

sgjackson

There's a new Anaal Nathrakh track streaming at Brooklyn Vegan. I really liked Passion (it was one of my favorite albums of 2011) but I felt like they were tending down from their earlier output, but what I've heard of Vanitas so far seems to be a solid step back up.

the new Sylosis CD is up for stream:

This is pretty sick.

Dawn of Dementia

First impression of this felt "off" in some way I can't qualify well - like there's a stylistic difference between how they're approaching this style and how most bands do that feels a little less tight. I usually really like this style of tech death so I'm probably going to give it another shot to see if it's a grower.

Greg

There's a new Anaal Nathrakh track streaming at Brooklyn Vegan. I really liked Passion (it was one of my favorite albums of 2011) but I felt like they were tending down from their earlier output, but what I've heard of Vanitas so far seems to be a solid step back up.
I'm really digging this track - I had no clue they were putting out another so soon.

This is pretty sick.
I just finished up my first listen from the stream, and it was solid. It's a bit too lengthy for my liking considering how they love to cram every song with riffs, but they have a great sound.

First impression of this felt "off" in some way I can't qualify well - like there's a stylistic difference between how they're approaching this style and how most bands do that feels a little less tight. I usually really like this style of tech death so I'm probably going to give it another shot to see if it's a grower.
yeah, I definitely hear what you're hearing - it's a more raw/less-polished sound for sure

I've just always been a fan of the more melodic side of the genre, so bands like this tend to catch my ear compared to some of the more dense/grating technical stuff

and you may have heard of them already since you're a fan of that style, but I highly recommend checking out First Fragment as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZH-GKKI7LI

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

passion was alright however vanitas is shaping up to be a contender of top 2012 albums

Tess3ract

Banned
Underoath broke up :(

http://www.facebook.com/underoath/posts/10151476563038009

A lot of people write them off thinking they still made music like their first few albums but the last three were amazing, especially Lost in the Sound of Separation and Disambiguation. Check those out if you haven't.

I'm wearing my underoath hoodie right now with the bird on the lower back.

Their singsongy stuff fucking sucked dick, but Disambiguation and Define the Great Line were their best modern cds.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it

Ixion

This isn't much to go on, but Rage may be making a new album...

Rage Against The Machine may be working on brand new material.

Bassist Tim Commerford hinted that the metal band could be recording a new album.

When asked if the group have anything new in the works, Commerford told TMZ: "Maybe... maybe."

Rage Against the Machine have not released a new album since they disbanded in 2000.

Following Zack de la Rocha's departure in 2000, the rest of the band formed Audioslave with Soundgarden's Chris Cornell until 2007.

The band have since reformed for several gigs and festivals around the world, including the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in 2007.

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a410149/rage-against-the-machine-recording-new-album.html

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The account of the crash is horrifying. The description of looking at the driver and having that moment of thinking their time is up.. crazy to think they survived it all. Best of luck to them moving forward.

I felt like i had bits of glass in my mouth just reading through it.

An update from John about Baroness. Surreal read. I really hope they make it through it.

http://baronessmusic.com/update-from-baroness/
John is such an example. Amazing guy. I'm doing physical therapy for my leg too, and men that takes so long to recover. I hope they are back on tour in 2013. What impressed me the most was the last paragraph:

"There was one moment in the crash that cut me deeply. For one heartbeat and one tiny sliver of time, I became disconnected entirely. It was, specifically, the moment I impacted with the glass. In that barest heartbeat of a moment, I came face to face with the infinite. I didn’t see a light, or the tunnel or hear any music. Nor did I get a “best-of” montage of my life. Instead, I felt the tip of my nose brush up against the very same fate I had accepted moments before. I looked into a cold, unreflective mirror. It was the dark, silent, dispassionate logic of the end. I realized in that moment that life can be seen as a light switch: “on” or “off”. When the moment passed and I heard the screaming, felt the pain, and tasted my own blood, I was overcome with joy. I was ecstatic to be back amidst all that chaos and horror because it was alive and real. [...]"

Shocking...

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
anybody else into Enslaved? heard the leak...not bad however tons better than the previous one. Gonna get it via nuclear blast with the shirt...aww yeah come at me metal-GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom