• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I'm really digging it, but my first impression was "I love this but a large number of people are going to hate it." The shift from Jari's guitar riffing and awesome sweep-driven solos to the symphonic elements is what I assume is turning people off, but I'd love to hear what other people disliked about it.

Someone also mentioned Dordeduh's newest a few pages ago, I really liked it on the first spin and look forward to coming back to it.

You summed it up pretty well actually. Ironically i like the symphonic intro.

C'mon RR. Streaming the SS album every where but the US until Monday? FFS.

Dude you do know it leaked right?

strafer

Oh god, wish I could go see this.

hDC6F.jpg

mantidor

Quoted for size.

Ihsahn and Samoth with producer Pytten during the mixing sessions of "In The Nightside Eclipse" at Grieghallen Studios, Bergen 1994 (photo by Joey Deacon).

Wow childhood memories.

In the nightshade eclipse is one of the most consistently good albums I've had the joy to stumble upon, I basically enjoy every single song. That doesn't happen often, even If there are other songs I lIke more from other albums, or even other bands. The only other album that is like that for me is Limbonic Art dynasty of death.

Melchiah

Wow childhood memories.

In the nightshade eclipse is one of the most consistently good albums I've had the joy to stumble upon, I basically enjoy every single song. That doesn't happen often, even If there are other songs I lIke more from other albums, or even other bands. The only other album that is like that for me is Limbonic Art dynasty of death.

I agree to some extent. My favorite is the opening track, and the least favorites the two, that were already featured on the MLP, and executed better there I might say. I have to say though, that I've always disliked their tendency to mix the vocals too low.

If you aren't watching the One Man Metal docs you should be.
Seriously, this is an awesome series. Watching the second part now. I like that it really gives you a sense of how they are as people. Not my favorite musicians, but they all put out decent stuff, and this series has really given me a new-found respect for each of them.

I also like that Jef Whitehead plays my same guitar, I wouldn't expect to many in the black metal scene to be playing PRS.

Quoted for size.

Ihsahn and Samoth with producer Pytten during the mixing sessions of "In The Nightside Eclipse" at Grieghallen Studios, Bergen 1994 (photo by Joey Deacon).

Ahhh, so thats how they got the perfect mixing on that album. Seriously, the production on that album is near perfection for that era.

frogg609

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the new video for Cattle Decapitation's "Forced Gender Reassignment". Most fucked up video I have ever seen.

You have to look for it on Blood-Disgusting (I'm not going to post a link due to grossing people out.)

Melchiah

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the new video for Cattle Decapitation's "Forced Gender Reassignment". Most fucked up video I have ever seen.

You have to look for it on Blood-Disgusting (I'm not going to post a link due to grossing people out.)

I watched it a couple of days ago, but I thought the video tried to be too shocking for its own good, and totally lacked in style. The old Negrophagia and Pungent Stench videos were executed far better.

Flynn

Seriously, this is an awesome series. Watching the second part now. I like that it really gives you a sense of how they are as people. Not my favorite musicians, but they all put out decent stuff, and this series has really given me a new-found respect for each of them.

I also like that Jef Whitehead plays my same guitar, I wouldn't expect to many in the black metal scene to be playing PRS.

The Xasthur guy seems kinda sad. I am not sure I like how they keep lingering on his cutting scars.

Ravager61

Yeah, Malefic seems like a really depressed dude. I feel bad for him. When you've lived in isolation like that for so long, it must be hard to pull yourself out.

I think Time I is pretty god damned good, but I've always been a big melody guy. A glorious sweeping melody or chorus always has me by the balls.

And that fucking intro. Holy fucking shit, it's like a lost track off of the Muramasa: The Demon Blade soundtrack or something. Awesome as fuck.

Very depressing the last guy. I'm kinda misanthrop too anyway.

ShaneB

I think Time I is pretty god damned good, but I've always been a big melody guy. A glorious sweeping melody or chorus always has me by the balls.

And that fucking intro. Holy fucking shit, it's like a lost track off of the Muramasa: The Demon Blade soundtrack or something. Awesome as fuck.

Sounds like I need to check out this soundtrack asap!

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
NPR First Listen stream of the new Pig Destroyer album

Maybe I'm just not in the mood for anything like this right now, but it didn't really do much for me after one listen (which I understand is not a good barometer). The guest vocals by Kat from Salome were a nice surprise, though.

Yeah you mustn't be in the mood since this is the fucking thrashiest shit I've heard in a while. And holy crap the drumming. I preordered it after one listen on NPR.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ahhh, so thats how they got the perfect mixing on that album. Seriously, the production on that album is near perfection for that era.

It was better than a lot of the black metal stuff at the time, but it was still pretty shit production in general, I think. I know some people like that sort of thing, though. I dont mind a 'rough' recording usually, but a lot of that 90's black metal was barely listenable because of it.

Also, Nightside was my first black metal experience. I remember hearing a lot about this 'black metal' stuff from guitar magazines and shit, but had no idea what it actually was(this was before we had the internet). I ordered the album cuz I heard Emperor were the 'premiere' black metal act and when I got it, I hated it. Thought it was garbage. It really took me about 10 years before I started to form an appreciation for it and even then, I still didn't like the 'pure' black metal stuff too much. I like a lot of the elements of it(dark atmosphere, tremelo picked riffs), but thats about it.

It was better than a lot of the black metal stuff at the time, but it was still pretty shit production in general, I think. I know some people like that sort of thing, though. I dont mind a 'rough' recording usually, but a lot of that 90's black metal was barely listenable because of it.

Also, Nightside was my first black metal experience. I remember hearing a lot about this 'black metal' stuff from guitar magazines and shit, but had no idea what it actually was(this was before we had the internet). I ordered the album cuz I heard Emperor were the 'premiere' black metal act and when I got it, I hated it. Thought it was garbage. It really took me about 10 years before I started to form an appreciation for it and even then, I still didn't like the 'pure' black metal stuff too much. I like a lot of the elements of it(dark atmosphere, tremelo picked riffs), but thats about it.

compared to other things around that era including seminal shit like Darkthrone's "A Blaze In The Northern Sky", Immortal's "Pure Holocaust", Mayhem's "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" etc you could tell Nightside went a little further with the "high production". Layers and layers and layers of a wall of sound that magically paints that familiar raw black metal sound, almost Bathory - Hammerheart-ish. Hard to explain, its its somewhere in between raw and stepping into a proper production.

Melchiah

compared to other things around that era including seminal shit like Darkthrone's "A Blaze In The Northern Sky", Immortal's "Pure Holocaust", Mayhem's "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" etc you could tell Nightside went a little further with the "high production". Layers and layers and layers of a wall of sound that magically paints that familiar raw black metal sound, almost Bathory - Hammerheart-ish. Hard to explain, its its somewhere in between raw and stepping into a proper production.

Say what?! You just listed some of the best, and universally most highly regarded black metal albums ever made. MayheM's and Darkthrone's albums pretty much defined the genre for years, if not decades forward. And this is the first time I hear De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas had "low production" values. The funny thing is, there wouldn't be Emperor without MayheM, and possibly Darkthrone.

Say what?! You just listed some of the best, and universally most highly regarded black metal albums ever made. MayheM's and Darkthrone's albums pretty much defined the genre for years, if not decades forward. And this is the first time I hear De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas had "low production" values. The funny thing is, there wouldn't be Emperor without MayheM, and possibly Darkthrone.

I didn't mean shit in a negative way. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas had an awesome production value and so did Pure Holocaust. I just think the production on Nightside Eclipse had the most technical and atmospheric breadth out of everything in that wave of black metal. My favorite BM albums are still Transylvanian Hunger and Hvis lyset tar oss (just for the song Det Som En Gang Var alone).

Melchiah

I didn't mean shit in a negative way. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas had an awesome production value and so did Pure Holocaust. I just think the production on Nightside Eclipse had the most technical and atmospheric breadth out of everything in that wave of black metal. My favorite BM albums are still Transylvanian Hunger and Hvis lyset tar oss (just for the song Det Som En Gang Var alone).

Ah, I misunderstood you. =) I've never been that big of a fan of Emperor, or synth black metal in general. In fact I can't listen to most of the early 90's synth BM records anymore. They just sound so dated and silly nowadays. The same goes for some of the old industrial records as well. The synth and drum machine sounds just haven't aged that well.

As for my favorites, I'd say Darkthrone's Under a Funeral Moon, Bathory's Under the Sign of the Black Mark, Beherit's Drawing Down the Moon, and Funeral Mist's Devilry.

Ah, I misunderstood you. =) I've never been that big of a fan of Emperor, or synth black metal in general. In fact I can't listen to most of the early 90's synth BM records anymore. They just sound so dated and silly nowadays. The same goes for some of the old industrial records as well. The synth and drum machine sounds just haven't aged that well.
I'm not a fan of synth metal either. It's almost always poorly done and the synths seem out of place.
I still love (real) industrial and 80's synth and drum machine sounds. They had that dirty sound that is lost in a lot of modern electronic music.

Melchiah

I'm not a fan of synth metal either. It's almost always poorly done and the synths seem out of place.
I still love (real) industrial and 80's synth and drum machine sounds. They had that dirty sound that is lost in a lot of modern electronic music.

As do I, but in some cases, like GGFH for example, they sound a bit outdated. It doesn't mean I'd stop listening to their records though.

As do I, but in some cases, like GGFH for example, they sound a bit outdated. It doesn't mean I'd stop listening to their records though.

Yeah, some of the more techno influenced tracks on Disease can feel a bit dated. I've always preffered 70's/80's electronic music over 90's electronic music anyway.
I think Skinny Puppys stuff has aged pretty well and proper industrial like early SPK, Einstürzende Neutabten, Throbbing Gristle etc. has held up well.

Melchiah

Yeah, some of the more techno influenced tracks on Disease can feel a bit dated. I've always preffered 70's/80's electronic music over 90's electronic music anyway.
I think Skinny Puppys stuff has aged pretty well and proper industrial like early SPK, Einstürzende Neutabten, Throbbing Gristle etc. has held up well.

Yeah, Skinny Puppy has aged relatively well, and Neubauten even better.

on the subject of bm, I don't get why Darkthrone are so revered?
I've been really unimpressed with their shit.

I guess you had to be there when they were released. Now, after countless of black metal albums, they might not shine so much anymore.
EDIT: If you're talking about their newer releases, I think they went downhill after Under a Funeral Moon/Transilvanian Hunger.

spink

Under a Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger and A Blaze in the Northern Sky is all I've listened to.
In comparison to other stuff from the same time, ie, Burzum and Mayhem (which I love) it just bores me.

Under a Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger and A Blaze in the Northern Sky is all I've listened to.
In comparison to other stuff from the same time, ie, Burzum and Mayhem (which I love) it just bores me.

Hah, I'm the opposite. I much prefer Darkthrone to Burzum and Mayhem. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is a great album but I don't care for Attilas vocals at all.
If you like death metal you should try the first Darkthrone album Soulside Journey.

The same goes for some of the old industrial records as well. The synth and drum machine sounds just haven't aged that well.

I love my Swans and Godflesh. Still some of the heaviest stuff I've heard.

Melchiah said:
As for my favorites, I'd say Darkthrone's Under a Funeral Moon, Bathory's Under the Sign of the Black Mark, Beherit's Drawing Down the Moon, and Funeral Mist's Devilry.

you forgot Von and Blasphemy :p

spink said:
on the subject of bm, I don't get why Darkthrone are so revered?
I've been really unimpressed with their shit.

Like Melchiah said, timing and their complete 180 from technical death metal. Fenriz is a fucking beast on the drum kit. I love the hypnotic and extreme simple style they did from A Blaze up to Transylvnanian Hunger. I believe that Darkthrone has been trolling for a while though.

Melchiah

you forgot Von and Blasphemy :p

Like Melchiah said, timing and their complete 180 from technical death metal. Fenriz is a fucking beast on the drum kit. I love the hypnotic and extreme simple style they did from A Blaze up to Transylvnanian Hunger. I believe that Darkthrone has been trolling for a while though.

Blasphemy's debut album is great (I actually got it from my parents for xmas, when it was released =P ), but it's not among my top albums.

I have Darkthrone's 1991 gig in Finland on VHS tape, and Fenriz's drumming is sure a sight to behold. Too bad their vocalist had apparently a sore throat, so it's pretty much an instrumental gig.

Ravager61

In a lot of ways I think Transylvanian Hunger is the quintessential black metal album. Meaning, if someone wants to know what black metal is/sounds like, I would direct them to that album. It's not necessarily my favorite BM album, but I do think it captures everything BM is about.

Most of Black Metal are one of the worst things ever. I don't even know how can someone stand such type of music. I like Burzum and Opeth older albums but that's about it.

I mean. Compare those two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReQoKJXJW-o&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGGwbg3elSM

With this garbage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Or5k4cEDE

Same goes to Funeral Doom Metal. Horrible.

Death, Thrash, Prog, Sludge, Heavy and Trad Doom are the real deal.

Of course, my opinion only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom