• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager61

Most of Black Metal are one of the worst things ever. I don't even know how can someone stand such type of music. I like Burzum and Opeth older albums but that's about it.

I mean. Compare those two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReQoKJXJW-o&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGGwbg3elSM

With this garbage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Or5k4cEDE

Same goes to Funeral Doom Metal. Horrible.

Death, Thrash, Prog, Sludge, Heavy and Trad Doom are the real deal.

Of course, my opinion only.

Umm, ok bro

In case anyone cares, the new Kamelot album is floating around. It's going to take a while to digest, but I can safely say it's better than Poetry for the Poisoned.

Melchiah

Most of Black Metal are one of the worst things ever. I don't even know how can someone stand such type of music. I like Burzum and Opeth older albums but that's about it.

Someone apparently hasn't heard black metal bands like Master's Hammer, Samael, Unholy, Necromantia, Rotting Christ, Nokturnal Mortum, Ascension, Funeral Mist, or Deathspell Omega, as they all have elements of the metal genres you listed.

Saw Down at the Roundhouse in London tonight - 5th time I've seen them and they never fail to disappoint. The set was pretty standard stuff, but with Witchtripper and Open Coffins thrown in from the new EP. They also played a cover of Bridge of Sighs, and Swan Song, which is one of my favourites from NOLA that they don't seem to play all that often. The first support band were Warbeast, who I hadn't heard of before. They were OK, but nothing really stuck for me. However, Orange Goblin fucking KILLED it. They played 3 tracks off the new album (which I went and bought from the merch stand straight after their set, The Fog is fucking amazing), a couple off the last one and a handful of old favourites. Good night all in all, here's a few crappy pictures;

ipiLyqPY93OnT.JPG

iboVFtPL2nsBuz.JPG

i5RyFd3F6jbbn.JPG

iuDWKcKwmfd7O.JPG

ihO2leEocbXX1.JPG

ShaneB

In case anyone cares, the new Kamelot album is floating around. It's going to take a while to digest, but I can safely say it's better than Poetry for the Poisoned.

Good to hear, will check it out eventually. I listening to PftP I think like twice and just seemed pretty bad, hoping this new one is a return to form, man.. going to be without Kahn though. Did like what I heard from the new vocalist though, so can't be all that bad.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
comparing a 2012 Burzum release and Opeth, who aren't BM to Darkthone doesn't really work

Indeed. Opeth decided to follow the line of a very classy and pretty enjoyable progressive metal, when Burzum has always been all about Black Metal. And Drakthone, well, I can say that they don't do it that bad at all, is a matter of perspective, I am not a great fan of Black Metal, but I can say that things like Immortal, Behemoth, Mayhem, Rotting Christ and of course Burzum, are jewels of these kind of metal.

In my humble opinion.

The last couple of Opeth records haven't done shit for me. I still keep trying to get into Watershed years later although I dig a few songs and certain bits and pieces, the songs as a whole feel forced.. same with Heritage only worse.

Before you say "Oh you just don't like progressive rock" quite the contrary I dig the same influences Akerfeldt does but his songwriting on these past two records feels strained and as if he's just going out of his way to be artsy and different just for the sake of being different.

I'll always respect them for not making the same album twice and mixing things up but I suppose I just don't like this new chapter of the band since Martin and Peter left.

tborsje

They haven't put out alot. Start with Ashen Eidolon. You won't be disappointed.

That EP is all they (or more specifically, he) has put out and there won't be any more content from the band apparently.

He had posted this on his facebook page a while ago (but recently deleted it for some reason):
Hello all. I just checked this page for the first time in months a couple of days ago. Many people have been asking about the status of Gallowbraid and for news on potential upcoming releases. I thought I should hop on here and mention that no new releases for Gallowbraid are on the horizon right now. However, NSP is doing a vinyl reissue of the Ashen Eidolon EP, which will have a bonus track and alternate artwork (possibly along with some shirts as well).
It seems that a lot of people don't know this, but the music on the Ashen Eidolon EP was actually written back in 2006 (hard to believe it was six years ago already... where the hell does time go?). I am still actively working on music in various other bands, but nothing new for Gallowbraid will be coming any time soon. I appreciate the awesome response to the music and everyone who has bought or downloaded the EP. It's been very cool to see how well-recieved it has been overall. Unfortunately, with Gallowbraid being a project formed so long ago by a younger dude in a different mindset, I simply do not have interest in this style of metal at this point in my life. I may well return to Gallowbraid some day, but for now I am busily focusing on different things. Thanks again for the support everybody! Cheers!

So probably no more Gallowbraid, which sucks :(

Saw Down at the Roundhouse in London tonight - 5th time I've seen them and they never fail to disappoint. The set was pretty standard stuff, but with Witchtripper and Open Coffins thrown in from the new EP. They also played a cover of Bridge of Sighs, and Swan Song, which is one of my favourites from NOLA that they don't seem to play all that often. The first support band were Warbeast, who I hadn't heard of before. They were OK, but nothing really stuck for me. However, Orange Goblin fucking KILLED it. They played 3 tracks off the new album (which I went and bought from the merch stand straight after their set, The Fog is fucking amazing), a couple off the last one and a handful of old favourites. Good night all in all, here's a few crappy pictures;
I'm so jealous ;_; Orange Goblin AND Down, that's crazy! I haven't been able to see any of them so far..I hope I'll get the chance one day!

I guess you had to be there when they were released. Now, after countless of black metal albums, they might not shine so much anymore.
EDIT: If you're talking about their newer releases, I think they went downhill after Under a Funeral Moon/Transilvanian Hunger.

It's after Hate Them for me.

Sardonic Wrath and Ravishing Grimness are great, their riffs got a lot better in that era. Sjakk Matt Jesu Krist is the shit. Under a Funeral Moon is still my favorite, but those two are my go-to Darkthrone albums now, they just rock.

since people seem to know and like Darkthrone I thought I'd recommend something I don't think anyone here's heard of:

Shroud - Chamber of Suicide

their album is somewhat difficult to track down, but this guy on YouTube has the whole release which is practically an EP, 5 tracks at 25 minutes. I really like this album, true to the old style yet they do some stuff melodically not standard to it. This is mostly geared to the Transilvanian Hunger crowd.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
YK6f0.jpg

The Sword - APOCRYPHON was officially released today, and I must say, it's fucking amazing! Crushing riffs abound! I've listened through it once and am halfway back through, and there's really not a bad track. Unless you just don't like The Sword, then give it a go.

So far the standout track to me is Dying Earth. Dat riff....

pablito

With this garbage:

i used to think the same thing, but then i grew into it. now i can't stand opeth, or any prog for that matter, when that used to be my favorite genre and band. kind of weird that you like death metal and hate black metal. not that they're exactly the same, but i just wouldn't think someone would be as opposed to it, being a death metal fan. but i guess depending on the dm you like, and the bm you've heard, it could be understandable.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

With this garbage:

Whoa, now! It's ok to not like a genre, the GAF Metal Thread has always been about respecting other's opinions, but let's not throw everything in a genre under the bus, though! And calling Darkthrone "garbage" in Norway would have your burned at the stake in short order. They are the pioneers, man! I've learned to appreciate black metal and am now a huge fan, with Darkthrone being close to the top. Same goes for funeral doom.

There's no such thing as any metal not being the "real deal", especially when some black metal bands, like Darkthrone, pre-date thousands of metal bands and in some cases whole genres.

Whoa, now! It's ok to not like a genre, the GAF Metal Thread has always been about respecting other's opinions, but let's not throw everything in a genre under the bus, though! And calling Darkthrone "garbage" in Norway would have your burned at the stake in short order. They are the pioneers, man! I've learned to appreciate black metal and am now a huge fan, with Darkthrone being close to the top. Same goes for funeral doom.

There's no such thing as any metal not being the "real deal", especially when some black metal bands, like Darkthrone, pre-date thousands of metal bands and in some cases whole genres.
Show me some good songs them... I may change my mind.
Well yeah I love Death Metal. I love Nile, Necrophagist, Cynic, Atheist, Opeth, Obituary, Death (all phases). But I can't get into Black. I think I like Burzum because is not even like Black Metal, is more of Dark Ambient. The vocals on Umskiptar are very cool and the instrumental is good too. Or can be an band in one kind I like. For example, I love Iced Earth, but I hate Power Metal.

I can make an analogy here LOL (alcohol = black metal, cigarette = death metal)... Most people who smoke tobacco loves to drink alcohol. I love to smoke but I hate any type of alcohol.

Melchiah suggested "Master's Hammer, Samael, Unholy, Necromantia, Rotting Christ, Nokturnal Mortum, Ascension, Funeral Mist, or Deathspell Omega". Well yeah but could you say a album to start with...

choodi

Banned
I am pretty sure that Darkthrone were always taking the piss. Especially when their recordings started to sound like they were done on a tape deck in a bedroom.

On another note, the new Stone Sour is a great record. Really enjoying it.

Next up on my listening queue is the new My Dying Bride. Then Wintersun.

pablito

depending on the dm you like

Well yeah I love Death Metal. I love Nile, Necrophagist, Cynic, Atheist, Opeth, Obituary, Death (all phases). But I can't get into Black. I think I like Burzum because is not even like Black Metal, is more of Dark Ambient. The vocals on Umskiptar are very cool and the instrumental is good too. Or can be an band in one kind I like. For example, I love Iced Earth, but I hate Power Metal.

yyyyyup

choodi

Banned
Melchiah suggested "Master's Hammer, Samael, Unholy, Necromantia, Rotting Christ, Nokturnal Mortum, Ascension, Funeral Mist, or Deathspell Omega". Well yeah but could you say a album to start with...

Necromantia,try Scarlet Evil Witching Black
Rotting Christ, start with Thy Mighty Contract and go from there.
Samael, everything is great

Melchiah

Well yeah I love Death Metal. I love Nile, Necrophagist, Cynic, Atheist, Opeth, Obituary, Death (all phases). But I can't get into Black.

Well, pretty much anything from them, but these albums especially from these bands:
Master's Hammer: The Jilemnice Occultist
Rotting Christ: Thy Mighty Contract
Necromantia: Crossing the Fiery Path
Deathspell Omega: Kenose / Si monvmentvm reqvires, circvmspice (and forwards)
Samael: Passage (and backwards)

I personally like Deathspell Omega's early works, but if you hate Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger they aren't going to appeal to you.

Like someone else said, it's kinda odd you like death metal, but shrug off black metal altogether, eventhough there are DM-like bands within the genre, like Dissection, Aeternus and Behemoth.

Aeternus: There's No Wine Like the Blood's Crimson
(Long intro, song starts at 5:05)

EDIT: Here's a couple of songs from others.
Ascension: Grey Light Sibling

Dissection: Soulreaper

Like someone else said, it's kinda odd you like death metal, but shrug off black metal altogether, eventhough there are DM-like bands within the genre, like Dissection, Aeternus and Behemoth.

Dissection: Soulreaper

Kinda funny, I always thought that Dissection would be a good gateway towards that 2nd wave of Black Metal, even though its going backwards historically :p It's a good bridge between Black and Death metal.

<3 The Somberlain

Behemoth always sounded like an early Morbid Angel clone too me, but stiffer.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
The last couple of Opeth records haven't done shit for me. I still keep trying to get into Watershed years later although I dig a few songs and certain bits and pieces, the songs as a whole feel forced.. same with Heritage only worse.

Before you say "Oh you just don't like progressive rock" quite the contrary I dig the same influences Akerfeldt does but his songwriting on these past two records feels strained and as if he's just going out of his way to be artsy and different just for the sake of being different.

I'll always respect them for not making the same album twice and mixing things up but I suppose I just don't like this new chapter of the band since Martin and Peter left.

It's all cool, my friend, I am not either fan from Opeth nor from any of the Black Metal Bands I mentioned in my last post, like I said, is a matter of perspective, the taste of music is subjective, given that, to me "X" album from "Y" band can be a masterpiece, and for others can be a total waste of time ;) The only thing agreed with was with the comment about "comparing a 2012 Burzum release and Opeth, who aren't BM to Darkthone doesn't really work" because, indeed, it wasn't the best comparison, ya know?

:D

I wonder why people bitch about Opeth so much these days!? Because they do what they do and changed parts of their style, maybe. It's not like they are some uber popular band and easy target, at least not around where I live. Personally I'm not a fan but I can appreciate them having a kinda "different" sound. Blackwater Park is an album even I could listen to despite hating most contemporary metal back in the day. I found that mostly ladys seem to be into them but that's ok. (Same with soft attack Katatonia, now that's a band I would write off as mediocre if I had to. EDIT: Listening to their new album now. Man, sounds like outtakes from Black Water Park, just slightly more flat.)

strafer

YK6f0.jpg

The Sword - APOCRYPHON was officially released today, and I must say, it's fucking amazing! Crushing riffs abound! I've listened through it once and am halfway back through, and there's really not a bad track. Unless you just don't like The Sword, then give it a go.

Can't wait to listen to this.

I love The Sword.

Saw them live once, opening for Metallica.

o/

Melchiah

Kinda funny, I always thought that Dissection would be a good gateway towards that 2nd wave of Black Metal, even though its going backwards historically :p It's a good bridge between Black and Death metal.

<3 The Somberlain

Behemoth always sounded like an early Morbid Angel clone too me, but stiffer.

Dissection is not really one of my personal favorites. Too melodic for me. ;)

As for Behemoth, I liked their early, more traditional material more, but they've never been my favorite either. I just picked some BM bands, that might appeal to someone who likes DM sound.

The old Aeternus, which I linked, is awesome though. Their newer, even more deathish material might be worth a listen to the DM people.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
YK6f0.jpg

Been a fan since Day 2
(well, Guitar Hero actually)
, and on the first listen it sounds kinda boring. But maybe it's the super-awful first track, the album definitely get's going later on. And that cover is just Stratovarius meets graphics card box-levels of ugly.
Warp Riders was almost as good as the first one, while Gods of the Earth lost it's spark pretty fast, and I'm confident that this is at least better than the latter. Glad they got rid of their mediocre drummer.

It's nice that they're releasing the LP in europe on an Austrian label, makes shipping for the limited LP bearable :|

I am pretty sure that Darkthrone were always taking the piss. Especially when their recordings started to sound like they were done on a tape deck in a bedroom.

No. That sound was intentional because it fit what they were going for, it was how they wanted to work (home recording with little resources), and it was a statement.

I'm not sure about my fellow Metal-GAF warriors, but I'm incredibly blessed in that one of my absolute best friends in real life is just as into metal as I am. We've known each other since grade school, and our musical tastes just evolved in the same way.

For years my friend and I have discussed this concept of Metal Nirvana... how true metal is a nearly infinite rabbit hole with so much quality (if sometimes very obscure) content across dozens of interesting subgenres. My brother and I have both noticed cycles within our own metal journey, where we will venture deep down one specific rabbit hole for months before coming up for air. For example, my friend only listened to underground 80's traditional metal for a period of about five months. There's so much to discover, and once you get going you just can't stop.

Metal Nirvana is reached when your knowledge of metal is such that you have vast experience in every (worthwhile) subgenre, knowing recognized and underground bands from the movement alike.

My friend and I have at least progressed partway through the annals of most types of metal, but Black Metal was a genre we both stayed away from and never saw the appeal in.

About three months ago though that changed for my friend. He started getting absolutely obsessed with BM, to the point where he was bidding hundreds of dollars on rare BM memorabilia (he was two seconds away from getting an original pressing of for $350 before getting sniped at the last moment on eBay). We went to Steak N Shake last night and he was rocking a Satanic Warmaster shirt with a Transilvanian Hunger hoodie, (and of course his Mjolnir necklace). Point is, he's becoming a Black Metal fanatic.

Now I am proud to announce that I myself have began my journey down the desolate forest path to the icy fire that is Black Metal! And it FEELS GOOD, MAN. It took my girlfriend leaving me to put me in a frame of mind where I could understand and appreciate it, but my god, Black Metal is so uniquely beautiful. It's ugliness gives it this raw strength and power that other metal can't reach. It has been a HUGE help in allowing me to get over my ex and move on. It's also helped me to get into an exercise routine and start eating healthier.

I was listening to the new Kamelot a couple days ago, an album I have been eager to check out for years, but halfway through I lost interest and threw on some Burzum instead.

I'm very new to Black Metal obviously, but so far I've checked out the unholy trinity of Darkthrone albums, Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse, Carpathian Forest's Strange Old Brew, Bathory's Blood Fire Death, and some random Burzum tracks (holy SHIT at Det Som En Gang Var). Mi amigo texted me a bunch of additional stuff to check out (some Mayhem, Lord Belial, Satyricon, Summoning, and Marduk), but any recommendations you guys can throw my way would be appreciated too. I've already listened to some of the Black Metal posted in the past few pages, and they have all been excellent.

Speaking of which, Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse has been my favorite BM album so far by a pretty wide margin. The whole thing sounds like a haunted forest. Is the rest of Emperor's discography that good? What are some other atmospheric BM bands?

\m/

faridmon

I'm not sure about my fellow Metal-GAF warriors, but I'm incredibly blessed in that one of my absolute best friends in real life is just as into metal as I am. We've known each other since grade school, and our musical tastes just evolved in the same way.

So envious. I only had one friend who was into metal and we used to talk about it, but now he moved to Japan and I am forever alone :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom