• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melchiah

still lost

Meaning, satanism is often interpreted as liberty of the shackles of religion. How does it serve the idea to reclaim the shackles on your arms?

Hmm... so my two previously mentioned favorite BM songs right now are Det Som and A Fine Day to Die, neither of them have anything to do with religion. What would you classify them as? What subgenre of metal?

And why do you loathe people who resonate with the style of music you love so much that they devote their life to playing it, yet don't always want to express the exact same message that most other Black Metal bands do (Burzum and Bathory included)? I'm not trying to bait you, I'm just genuinely curious. To me it seems obvious that it's a GOOD thing for a genre when bands branch out and try something new. It ensures that things both stay fresh and allow for new musical ideas to spring forth

Let me put it this way, if Burzum would have followed the ideology from its logical point forward, the praised entity would have been either Surt or Hel, not Odin.

Black metal = Satanic metal. Simple as that. Like I've said on this thread before, if you think about the bands who started it; Venom, Hellhammer, Sarcofago, MayheM, Samael, Blasphemy... most of them had no musical similarities, just the message. And that's what defines the genre.

So you don't class Burzum as black metal?

This discussion reminds me of the debate in the 90s about so called "true" black metal. I am sure you remember how ludicrous that was with bands accusing each other of not being "true" and others trying to define what true black metal was.

That debate was made entirely nonsensical by the fact that the originators of true black metal, Venom, bore about as much similarity to modern black metal as slayer does. Aside from the fact that they were just taking the piss and were about as satanic as my dog. It was all shock value and scare your parents stuff.

It's not about being true, it's about being sincere and respectful of the legacy, and whether you sound like old Darkthrone, you're not black metal if you lack the very idea that defined the music. And what does Slayer have to to do with black metal?

Anyways, I couldn't care less about debating the matter with people who probably weren't there when it all began.

spink

Anyways, I couldn't care less about debating the matter with people who probably weren't there when it all began.

iPkUkrnXxNII2.gif

then kindly remove yourself from the thread, you colossal douchebag.

Gaspode_T

choodi

Banned
It's not about being true, it's about being sincere and respectful of the legacy, and whether you sound like old Darkthrone, you're not black metal if you lack the very idea that defined the music. And what does Slayer have to to do with black metal?

Whoa dude, no need to get all defensive and definitely no need to pull out the "I'm more hardcore than you" card!

I am a fan of black metal and have been since around 1993. I remember when all of the church burnings and murders were happening in the Norwegian scene and kept myself up-to-date via underground zines and mainstream metal magazines. Do I need to pull out my Impaled Nazarene Sadogoat 7", my Emperor/Enslaved split album or heaps of other demo tapes and other things that I am sure I have lying around to prove my "trueness"?

We are just having a friendly debate about black metal and you actually confirmed what we were all talking about with a couple of statements.

Melchiah said:
Actually, I've always thought the "religious" black metal bands are the farthest from the idea.

Yes, the very idea that a band that denies christian religion would actually subscribe to the christian ideological concept of Satan is ludicrous.

Black metal as an ideology is more linked to nihilism than it is to Satanism. The Satanic imagery and lyrics are often used as a way of perverting the christian ideals and ethos. BUT, Satan is still a christian concept and if you think of it that way, then by the very essence of being a satanist, you are giving power and authority to christianity. It's a paradox and I think plenty of black metal bands actually cottoned on to that fact a long time ago. Hence the shift towards nihilism and viking mythology as a thematic concept for many black metal bands.

You DO NOT need to be a satanist or sing about satanic themes to be a black metal band. Being anti-religion is a legitimate theme, being nihilistic is a legitimate theme. Black metal is not only about the lyrics, it is a concept that combines dark music, atmospheres, lyrical themes and imagery into one diverse genre of metal that has grown to encompass bands from all over the world...even from places that don't have any affiliation or subscription to christian ideas of god and satan.

I don't know how this discussion turned heated, but I hope that everyone can take a step back and keep this thread civil. I certainly hope that what I have contributed has not been taken as rude or aggressive. If it has then I apologise, I didn't mean to offend, just wanted to give my thoughts about a genre that I think often straddles the line between parody and serious musical and lyrical content.

I mentioned Slayer because they are obviously NOT a black metal band, but do have plenty of "satanic" lyrics. It was probably an unsuccessful attempt to show that satanic lyrics are not the only qualifier of a black metal band.

Hey Wrath, I may be way behind here but is it true that Hellwind Inferion is doing the vocals in the new incarnation of EC? I love his work with Desolate Shrine.

Wait, does Burzum not contain any satanic lyrics? Neat
?

I think most people tend to think that a black metal band almost automatically has satanic lyrics. You can't really blame them, giving the genres origin. But it's a bit of a shame this 'ignorance' is rather widespread. Especially when people are avoiding the genre based on its themes.

Take Immortal for example (a band I think you will like). Members full in corpsepaint, frequent use of the words black & dark. They're not really making it easy. But the lyrics of Immortal can easily be applied to a band like Amon Amarth or Ensiferum. A power metal band could use them and noone would think they were satanic or 'evil' .

Edit: I see some of you weren't aware of Melchiahs view on black metal :)

Ravager61

So I just ordered the limited edition vinyl remaster of Abigail Williams' "Becoming" album having heard only a few minutes of their music before.

Good choice?

I mainly bought it to see just how good blood-music.com are.

I bought their reissue of Lykathea Aflame's Elvenefris about a month ago. The vinyl sounds ok but I was pretty disappointed with the packaging. It felt flimsy and cheap. Oh well.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
So Ghost signed with the ex warner bros dudes for 750 thousand g's (this may be old news for a lot of people). Good for them.

choodi

Banned
Finally got the chance to listen to the new My Dying Bride and I have to say that it is pretty good.

A Tapestry Scorned is the standout track so far. Still need to give it a fee more listens before I make a final judgment.

My favourite album of all time in any genre is Turn Loose the Swans and I must say that I have been very disappointed with most of their stuff since then. I don't see this one going down as a classic of the genre, but it is certainly better than some of their more recent efforts.

Anyone else given it a spin?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Finally got the chance to listen to the new My Dying Bride and I have to say that it is pretty good.

A Tapestry Scorned is the standout track so far. Still need to give it a fee more listens before I make a final judgment.

My favourite album of all time in any genre is Turn Loose the Swans and I must say that I have been very disappointed with most of their stuff since then. I don't see this one going down as a classic of the genre, but it is certainly better than some of their more recent efforts.

Anyone else given it a spin?

I need to grab it but I was really let down by their last album. A Line of Deathless Kings was surprisingly good however so if the new one is at least as good as that then I'll be happy.

choodi

Banned
Is there a rock thread? Or are people just posting about rock related stuff here, too?

I would assume that the rock would have to be at the "hard" end of the spectrum, but go ahead and see what the general consensus is on whatever band you want to post about.

Flynn

Finally saw Kvelertak last night supporting Converge. Their slot was much too short/early, but man do those guys have energy.

Also: Torche (I know) seems like they have some new, more stonery material in the works. Their set got nice and heavy towards the end.

Seanspeed

Banned
Is there a rock thread? Or are people just posting about rock related stuff here, too?

Depends on how define 'rock'. People are very sensitive about how you label stuff around here apparently. To the point of ridiculousness if you ask me. I label music by how it sounds, not by its message. Personally, music, and metal music in particular, seems to be a very poor place to be gaining messages from in the first place. As a musician, I'm far more interested in the tonality, atmosphere and energy of a track than what their vocalist(who you usually cant understand) has to say. If I want good writing, I'll read a book by an acclaimed author. I see vocals as just another instrument. I could really care less what you say. 99% of the time, its not worth understanding anyways, so just make the tone of your voice fit with the music and I'm happy.

Anyways, I'm currently in love with The Black Dahlia Murder. I think they're gonna be in my top 5 bands of all-time. They're beyond brilliant. The guitarists are some of the best riff-writers in the business and the vocalist has some serious range. Really, each member is borderline virtuoso. I'm a pretty good guitarist and there's only a handful of songs I can play all the way through and those I can I'm damn proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom