• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager61

Cattle Decapitation is playing a Halloween show in my city. Should I go? I saw them like back in like 2007 and it was pretty entertaining. I hear their new stuff is good.

Just started listening to Rebellion, listened to all their albums in order and just got to their newest.

Why didn't I know these guys exist? They so awesome!

Not too bad, but the production is fucking awful. I'll have to check out some of their other stuff, but it all sounds way too muddy.

All their material has been remastered for Within The Shadows of Darkness. Though I must say I prefer the original sound.
If you think that the production on the Ending Quest is "fucking awful" you're probably going to hate the demos haha. I'm honestly that surprised that someone into death and black metal would find the production to be "fucking afwul".
Some remastered demo tracks:
Human Relic (from their first demo)
Process of Cent (from their second demo)

choodi

Banned
I'll give some of their stuff another listen, but I do find that I prefer a really clean sound.

I think the bass popping out so much in the mix really threw me and the guitars were just very muddy And way too distorted.

Might have been a combination of YouTube, my phone and some shitty earbuds though, so I'll have another go today with some decent equipment and good headphones.

So apparently Mustaine is working on a new Megadeth album.

I think for the first time since I got into metal I'm not excited for a new album because his ridiculous political opinions have put me off so much.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

I think for the first time since I got into metal I'm not excited for a new album because his ridiculous political opinions have put me off so much.

Mustaine should take every chance he gets to exercise the art of shutting the fuck up. What a fucking idiot age has made him.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was getting annoyed with all of that. I'll still check check it out because the guitar will inevitably kick ass.

Kjellson

Earth2_album_cover.gif

I'm listening to this right now.

So... Good...

Ravager61

I love both old and new Earth for different reasons. I have Earth 2 and Phase 3 on vinyl and they sound great. Their new stuff is very chill and I love to put it on when trying to relax. Haven't seen them live so I can't comment.

Hey, just in time for the doom/drone talk: OM have a video for one of their songs on the new album. It's just the musicians playing their instruments but it's always great to see Al's strange way of playing bass. :)
State on non return

choodi

Banned
I'm pretty bummed he's not putting out any more Lurker of Chalice albums. I love that album.

In other news, I got back from the bars tonight to find this sitting next to my mailbox:

99/500

Wow, I haven't heard that album in years. I remember it being one of my favorite black metal albums of the time.

Going to have to listen to it now.

Currently in a power metal trip lately. I recently heard these guys on one of my digital radio thingies, I really liked this track although I haven't listened to much else by them. I think the vocals are ok, not great but I LOVE the instrumentals, especially the bit starting at the 5:00 mark - just WOW.

Thy Majestie - Under Siege
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brGY7LeNQYE

I fucking LOVING that Conan album posted above though. Just wow.

Gaspode_T

If you like power metal check out Kamelot's new CD, it keeps being put up on YT then taken down, might be worth...actually...buying...

I was supposed to go see Sunn O))) yesterday but I decided to go see Dinosaur Jr instead, I turn in my metal card if you want me to but guitar god have to see that guy play while he still has the dexterity...Murph is a monster on drums and Lou seems like he is still in his 20s when he is bouncing around. Reading people tweet "oh my god my life is forever different" after the Sunn show kind of hurts...hopefully next time i can catch them somewhere...

Sanctuary

Haven't read every single post in this thread, so I'm sure some of these have been mentioned; and maybe more than once.

Nevermore - The Politics of Ecstasy, Dreaming Neon Black, Dead Heart in a Dead World, This Godless Endeavour.
Opeth - My Arms Your Hearse, Morningrise, Still Life, Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, Watershed
Mercyful Fate - Melissa, Don't Break The Oath
King Diamond - Abigail, Them, Conspiracy, The Eye
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere In Time, 7th Son of a 7th Son
Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth, The Chemical Wedding
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings, Days of Purgatory, Something Wicked This Way Comes
Wolf - The Black Flame
Crimson Glory - ST, Transcendence
Demons&Wizards - ST
Ihsahn - The Adversary, Angl, After
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil, Twisted Into Form
Into Eternity - Buried in Oblivion, The Scattering of Ashes
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress, Holographic Universe
Epica - Design Your Own Universe
The Sword - Warp Riders
Mastodon - Remission, Leviathan, Blood Mountain, Crack the Skye, The Hunter
Blind Guardian - all of their albums
Persuader - The Hunter, Evolution Purgatory
Testament - Dark Roots of the Earth

Korranator

Since I have recently discovered and been able to appreciate Ahab and the 11th Hour. I was looking for Funeral and Death Doom suggestions and where to start with said bands.

Since I have recently discovered and been able to appreciate Ahab and the 11th Hour. I was looking for Funeral and Death Doom suggestions and where to start with said bands.

newish Funeral/Death Doom metal band - Hooded Menace.
Very old school 90's sounding Swedish/Finnish style

http://hoodedmenace.bandcamp.com

I'm a huge fan of early Paradise Lost, particularly the Gothic album.

My Dying Bride - I Am The Bloody Earth

Morgion is a very underrated band, I think they split up :( Morgion - The Serpentine Scrolls

choodi

Banned
Hey, just in time for the doom/drone talk: OM have a video for one of their songs on the new album. It's just the musicians playing their instruments but it's always great to see Al's strange way of playing bass. :)
State on non return

Holy shit, where have these guys been all of my life? Fantastic stuff!

If i keep listening to all of this great doom, it is going to make my NaNoWriMo novel a bleak piece of work.

On the subject of doom, I have listened to the new My Dying Bride a few more times and must say that I am once again disappointed. A couple of decent songs, but it just doesn't come together as an album.

Could anyone recommend me a few bands similar to Dozer? My girlfriend is totally loving them right now, so I thought I could find a few other bands to score some brownie points :D I think the melodic streak they have really appeals to her so anything like that would be totally awesome.

As a thank you, here's an awesome band I've been digging: http://fireinthecave.bandcamp.com/album/fire-in-the-cave

Dozer are awesome.. I'll recommend Spirit Caravan if you/she isn't already into them. Wino's best project he was ever involved in imo.

I'm looking for some black metal recommendations. I'm into earthy atmospheric stuff in the vein of the cascade stuff like Wittr, fauna, etc.. I'm not into symphonic stuff or super depressive low quality stuff.. mostly just want something very nature driven, very atmospheric etc..

bands im already into:

wolves in the throne room
fauna
enslaved
immortal
burzum

pablito

I'm looking for some black metal recommendations. I'm into earthy atmospheric stuff in the vein of the cascade stuff like Wittr, fauna, etc.. I'm not into symphonic stuff or super depressive low quality stuff.. mostly just want something very nature driven, very atmospheric etc..

bands im already into:

wolves in the throne room
fauna
enslaved
immortal
burzum

negura bunget. the albums om and n crugu bradului.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46GhUrtrklM

maybe some blut aus nord. most of their stuff up to and including memoria vetusta II is good. some don't like mort, odinist, and mythical beast, some do. the stuff after MVII is hit or miss for me, mostly miss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRZyUmk7vsQ

beherit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZYj26y10RM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom