• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager61

What's been everyone's favorite albums from this year so far?

Well might as well post mine. I'm sure I'm forgetting something but here are the 10 metal albums I enjoyed most this year in no order:

Bell Witch - Longing
Mgla - With Hearts Toward None
Lord Mantis - Pervertor
Nihill - Verdonkermaan
Pig Destroyer - Book Burner
Baroness - Yellow and Green
Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction
Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
Dragged into Sunlight - Widowmaker
Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind

Nihill, Bell Witch, and Mgla being particular favorites.

Pretty solid year for metal overall I think. Especially doom.

Edit: Totally forgot about Liberteer – Better To Die On Your Feet Than Live On Your Knees. Great album.

Down - IV (EP)
Nile - At the Gate of Sethu
Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme
Bell Witch - Longing
Conan - Monnos
High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis
Ice Dragon - greyblackfalconhawk
Saint Vitus - Lillie: F-65
Death - Spiritual Healing (2012 remaster)
Storm Corrosion - S/T
Neurosis - Honor Found in Decay

And I hope that the new Electric Wizard album will come out this year yet. The new Necrophagist is gonna come too, but like in 2015.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Huge Down fan but was very unimpressed with this. Real letdown for me.

I wasn't THAT disappointed but i was kinda underwhelmed. There were 3 really good song and then some meh songs. The bare bones production for me at least had the opposite effect of what it was supposed to. Witchtripper video is pretty awesome though..

Korranator

Too many releases this year to really give an accurate opinion, plus I'm still trying to catch up albums I still haven't got a chance to really sit down and listen to.

That said it's been a great year for Metal much better than last year.

Off the top of my head:

Ahab - The Giant
Pale Divine - Painted Windows Black
Wildernessking - The Writing of Gods in the Sand
Dodecahedron - S/T
Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I

Just bought those Conan (listening to it right now) and Dodecahedron albums from Itunes, based on your lists. Conan's pretty good so far, thanks guys!

Thanks, the Antaeus pics are rather disappointing though, nothing special to see.

Is it me or has this year been severely underwhelming metal wise?

*looks at the rather varied lists*

I think it's just you

2MF

So Morbid Angel is playing a concert here soon, has anyone been to one of their latest concerts? Just wondering if they are playing a lot of stuff from their new (badly received) album...

fallout

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So Morbid Angel is playing a concert here soon, has anyone been to one of their latest concerts? Just wondering if they are playing a lot of stuff from their new (badly received) album...

All you need is Chapel of Ghouls

They are playing today 50 km from here, but i will miss them due to lack of money :(

pablito

*looks at the rather varied lists*

I think it's just you

i actually agree. 2011 for me was way better than this year metal wise. i don't think there's anything i absolutely love from this year. but that's just like my opinion man.

even hades archer was supremely disappointing this year, after having released one of the best black metal albums and eps ever.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Lol, a bit of hyperbole here don't you think? What he said was tame, especially compared to other stuff in the past, lol.

Its an ongoing process and you KNOW he's a colossal tool bag. He's like my friend's republican grandma except.. . well i cant really think of any differences between them.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Its an ongoing process and you KNOW he's a colossal tool bag. He's like my friend's republican grandma except.. . well i cant really think of any differences between them.
Yeah, but I honestly don't care. He's harmless at this point, and 13 was a good album, damn it.

Melchiah

What a waste of some good pork. At least put the crucifix over some hot coals and make a bbq out of it! :p

Well, you wouldn't want to eat meat, that's been rotting for a couple of days. ;)

Here's a pic of the pig: http://i.imgur.com/PWffA.jpg

EDIT: BTW, the Finnish press made a ruckus about it, and apparently even prosecutions have been considered.

Translated from the news:
Radio City has received information, that there were carcasses of animals as props at the last weekend's Black Flames Of Blasphemy festival. Now, the Helsinki Environment Agency will inspect where the festival organizers have received the carcasses. A possible report of an offence is considered.

There are very strict rules for disposing of animal carcasses, which slaughterhouses and meat processing plants have to follow. It's really not an appropriate way to keep the carcasses on display at a festival. If the meat by-product laws have been broken, it can lead to a criminal investigation.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
So Nuno Bettencourt is playing with Rihanna? Lame. Im pretty sure he's doing it cause he needs the cash but still lame.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

Anaal Nathrahk - Vanitas

Deftones - Koi No Yokan

Aborted - Global Flatline

Kreator - Phantom Antichrist

gotta hear the new destruction to see if they make it for my top album of this year

RDreamer

Anathema - Weather Systems
Between the Buried & Me - Parallax II: Future Sequence
Devin Townsend - Epicloud
Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion
Shearwater - Animal Joy
Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I
Astra - The Black Chord
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
Ben Kweller - Go Fly a Kite
OSI - Fire Make Thunder
Sigur Ros - Valtari
Marco Minnemann - Evil Smiles Of Beauty/Sound Of Crime
Wintersun - Time I
Sigh - In Somniphobia

Bauer91

Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax II

For me, nothing really comes close. It's my undisputed AOTY. Brilliant band.

Agreed, top 10 metal album ever for me.

However, a few other amazing albums have been released this year:

Meshuggah- Koloss
Gojira- L'Enfant Sauvage
Periphery- Periphery II
Baroness- Yellow & Green
Rush- Clockwork Angels
Steve Vai- The Story of Light
Om- Advaitic Songs
Cattle Decapitation- Monolith Of Inhumanity

Some decent stuff:

Every Time I Die- Ex Lives
The Mars Volta- Noctourniquet
Asphyx- Deathhammer
Spawn of Possesion- Incurso
Orkenkjott- Onskediktet
Testament- Dark Roots of Earth
The Safety Fire- Grind The Ocean
The Faceless- Autotheism
High on Fire- De Vermis Mysteriis
Revocation- Teratogenesis

Non-metal:

Aesop Rock- Skelethon
Lana Del Ray- Born To Die
T.R.A.M.- Lingua Franca
Trioscapes- Seperate Realities

And a bunch of stuff I haven't properly listened to yet which is most likely really good as well:

Anaal Nathrakh- Vanitas
Coheed and Cambria- The Afterman: Ascension
Converge- All We Love We Leave Behind
Deftones- Koi No Yokan
Devin Townsend Project- Epicloud
Down- Down IV Part I - The Purple EP
Enslaved- RIITIIR
Ihsahn- Eramita
Neurosis- Honor Found in Decay
Pig Destroyer- Book Burner
The Sword- Apocryphon

All in all a great year for metal.

Falch

Saw Opeth live a couple of days ago. They were incredible, and Akerfeldt is such a likable guy too.

This was the setlist:
The Devil's Orchard
Ghost of Perdition
White Cluster
Hope Leaves
Deliverance
Hessian Peel
Häxprocess
Reverie/Harlequin Forest
Encore: blackwater Park

Ghost of Perdition and Deliverance were the absolute highlight of the show for me.

Also, having Anathema as their opening act was the icing on the cake (I've seem them 3 times now).

I've known about Opeth for aaages but never dove in. I got Ghost of Perdition on Rock Band and checked out their stuff a bit more. Fucking love them now.

Ravager61

I was driving through the country last night at around 2 a.m. listening to that Bell Witch album. Perfect atmosphere. I cannot get enough of that album. I think it may be my favorite of the year.

May I ask where are you from? Back home hIp-hop and metal fans couldn't be more segregated, to the point there can violence between them. You are basically the first person I've seen that enjoys both, but maybe is actually more common than I thought? I personally can't stand it, metal bands that include rap or hip-hop parts in their songs immediately turn me off.
Hey sorry I missed this question my friend.

Eastern Massachusetts. I am just a 36 year old white boy that had a few phases in my younger years where I was into metal, deep - then that ran into/overlapped with being into rap, deep, then dancehall reggae, deep again. I just like hard, aggressive music with crazy ass percussion. Metallica (only up to and including And Justice For All), Slayer, Lamb of God, Testament, High On Fire. That kind of stuff butters my bread.

So now that I am old, I can look back and cherry pick the best elements from each of my weird, overlapping phases and find who's still got it. Right now I think metal is in a super good place. Can't wait for the new Slayer. Rap is healthy too - quite honestly. The whole mixtape thing with rappers versing stuff over other folks' beats is so fucking healthy and refreshing for that genre - I can't even tell ya. Right now I like Pusha T, Danny Brown, Cam'ron, Kanye and other stuff like that. I'll sport a Slayer shirt while listening to Fear of God (Pusha mixtape) in the car, or my G.O.O.D music tshirt while blasting South of Heaven.

I like black coffee, I like super hot hot sauce on everything, I like rough sex, and I like hard-aggressive music. Rough. Rough stuff. I like stuff that assaults my senses.

I hope that explains things maybe? I'm just weird I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom