• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chessnut

Saw Opeth live a couple of days ago. They were incredible, and Akerfeldt is such a likable guy too.

This was the setlist:
The Devil's Orchard
Ghost of Perdition
White Cluster
Hope Leaves
Deliverance
Hessian Peel
Häxprocess
Reverie/Harlequin Forest
Encore: blackwater Park

Ghost of Perdition and Deliverance were the absolute highlight of the show for me.

Also, having Anathema as their opening act was the icing on the cake (I've seem them 3 times now).

wow!!!! White Cluster and Reverie Harlequin Forest? Fuck, I'm jealous. I saw them for the first time about a year ago and they just played their new album for the most part. Hopefully they play stuff from Still Life and Blackwater Park next time they come. And yeah, Akerfeldt is really likable.

blahness

Wow, So glad I got to see Opeth awhile back. This was the setlist the last time I saw them.

The Leper Affinity
Advent
Deliverance
The Drapery Falls
Godhead's Lament
Credence
Bleak
A Fair Judgement

Encore:
Demon of the Fall

Eideka

Banned
Is it just me or the new As I Lay Dying is really good ?

Seriously I'm impressed, even the clean voice sequences are well done and don't seem "forced".

RDreamer

I just have to say I absolutely adore modern era Amorphis. Every time I listen to one of those albums I have to listen to almost all of them.

It seems crazy to me how they went from Am Universum and Far from the Sun to this quality work. Not that AU and FftS were really bad... just not even nearly as good as what came after or before.

Blackheim

Rumor: CARCASS Putting Finishing Touches On First Studio Album In 17 Years - Nov. 29, 2012

Could be awesome (if true), could be crap (if true). I'm certainly interested in finding out though and hope for the best (if true). :p

And since it was mentioned earlier, here's a full stream of the Spiritual Healing remaster. Good stuff, if you're into the band at any rate.

As for newer Amorphis, I'm not a fan of Tomi Joutsen's singing at all. I very much prefer Tomi K. and Pasi.

Hmm what else ... top for 2012? Hmm, dunno *shrug*

Rumor: CARCASS Putting Finishing Touches On First Studio Album In 17 Years - Nov. 29, 2012

Could be awesome (if true), could be crap (if true). I'm certainly interested in finding out though and hope for the best (if true). :p

And since it was mentioned earlier, here's a full stream of the Spiritual Healing remaster. Good stuff, if you're into the band at any rate.

As for newer Amorphis, I'm not a fan of Tomi Joutsen's singing at all. I very much prefer Tomi K. and Pasi.

Hmm what else ... top for 2012? Hmm, dunno *shrug*
holy shit awesome news

Possibly a new Carcass. Interesting but I'll remain sceptical, both about the rumor and the album itself.

I've listened a bit more tp Dodecahedron. I'm not sure what to make of it. DSO ish black metal but not as good. It doesnt really grab me.

I've also listened to other albums you guys mwntioned on your 2012 lists. My favourites so far are Lord Mantis and Necrovation. Actually I kind of regret that I didnt listen to them more before I got that Dodecahedron album :(

GTFO. This is unreal.
I predict this will be like Heartwork with nods of grinding-ness. Last time i saw Carcass on their first re-union, Bill Steer still had the grinding side of him in it.

Recently discovered an old band that never got any love. Killing Addiction. Sounds like old Scandinavian death metal type stuff kind of like Sinister/Demigod/Thanatos, but they are from Florida without the Morrisound sound!

sgjackson

I've listened a bit more tp Dodecahedron. I'm not sure what to make of it. DSO ish black metal but not as good. It doesnt really grab me.

Dodecahedron's one of my favorites this year. I think the first track is amazing - what I've heard of DSO's brand of black metal is usually a little more subtle with the weirdness whereas Dodecahedron kind of hits you with a sledgehammer of crazy with that first riff on Allfather.

Ravager61

Recently discovered an old band that never got any love. Killing Addiction. Sounds like old Scandinavian death metal type stuff kind of like Sinister/Demigod/Thanatos, but they are from Florida without the Morrisound sound!

This is good stuff. Thanks! I love discovering some of these old school bands that never got much recognition.

Here's another recommendation for the black metal fans. If you are at all into raw black metal, you need to hear this. One of the best things I've heard in a while.

2002253613-1.jpg

Axis of Light - By the Consuming Hands of Fire

Ixion

Meshuggah is touring North America with Animals As Leaders and Intronaut.

Swedish extreme metal titans Meshuggah have announced a headlining North American tour in February/March 2013, with support from Animals As Leaders and Intronaut. Pre-sale tickets are available through the band's website and will be sold through normal ticketing outlets on November 30th.

02/11/13 Beacham Theatre – Orlando, FL

02/12/13 Center Stage – Atlanta, GA

02/13/13 The Fillmore Charlotte – Charlotte, NC

02/14/13 Theater of Living Arts – Philadelphia, PA

02/15/13 Roseland Ballroom – New York, NY

02/16/13 The Fillmore Silver Spring – Silver Spring, MD

02/17/13 House of Blues – Boston, MA

02/19/13 Sound Academy – Toronto, ON - CANADA

02/20/13 House of Blues – Cleveland, OH

02/21/13 Bogart’s – Cincinnati, OH

02/22/13 House of Blues – Chicago, IL

02/23/13 Pop’s – Sauget, IL

02/24/13 Mill City Nights – Minneapolis, MN

02/26/13 Union Hall – Edmonton, AB - CANADA

02/27/13 MacEwan Hall Ballroom – Calgary, AB - CANADA

03/01/13 Ace of Spades – Sacramento, CA

03/02/13 Wiltern Theater – Los Angeles, CA

03/03/13 House of Blues @ Mandalay Bay – Las Vegas, NV

http://sputnikmusic.com/news.php?newsid=25013

GTFO. This is unreal.
I predict this will be like Heartwork with nods of grinding-ness. Last time i saw Carcass on their first re-union, Bill Steer still had the grinding side of him in it.
They gonna do a show here at São Paulo in 2013, fuck I will sell my soul to go to this if I have to

brinstar

I'm curious (and a little scared) as to what a new Carcass record would even sound like. The interesting thing about Carcass was none of their albums sounded like the other, so I have to wonder what direction they'd like to go in. Nevertheless, I'm super excited, Carcass is pretty much my alltime favorite band and I'm stoked for some new Steer riffs!

Ixion

Looking over this year's releases, one thing is missing a good post Metal release. Anybody know of anything worth wile?

Top 10 Post-Metal releases this year according to RateYourMusic. They categorize it as 'Atmospheric Sludge Metal'. I haven't listened to any of these yet though.

Picture1-3.png

Picture2-2.png

BLIND-GUARDIAN-Packshot-Box-3D.jpg

"Save up your Christmas money for February when A Traveler’s Guide to Space and Time, a strictly limited edition Blind Guardian box set with 15 CDs in 13 high quality digipacks and only 8000 copies worldwide, is released.

A Traveler’s Guide to Space and Time not only includes all the albums released during the so-called Virgin years (the record company brought out all the bands’ records between 1988 and 2004) but also all their previously unreleased demo recordings, rare bonus tracks and alternative versions of famous pieces from this era, and all of them have been remastered and some even remixed. To be precise; it includes the seven studio albums Battalions of Fear, Follow the Blind, Tales from the Twilight World, Somewhere Far Beyond, Imaginations from the Other Side, Nightfall in Middle-Earth and A Night at the Opera, and on top of all that you get the live albums Tokyo Tales and Live as well as The Forgotten Tales compilation, all of them now with 2012 mastering and some of them with new mixes. Above and beyond that, Blind Guardian have dug deep into their archives and come up with some real treats: in Imaginations Through the Looking Glass for the very first time the phenomenal concert they put on in Coburg, Germany in June 2003 appears in audio format on two CDs. And another first, in a special edition of Nightfall in Middle-Earth, the musicians also present the legendary 1998 studio album without any breaks (including a new mix of “Blood Tears”). This precious box is rounded off with An Extraordinary Tale, which includes so far unreleased demo versions of the pieces “Welcome to Dying”, “Lord of the Rings”, “The Bard’s Song (In the Forest)”, “The Bard’s Song (The Hobbit)”, “Theatre of Pain”, “Trial by Fire” and “I’m Alive” and the never before released, around 90 seconds longer version of the song “The Quest for Tanelorn” as well as the comparatively rare number “Harvest of Sorrow”.

So, there is so much to find, enjoy and rediscover in this outright opulent deluxe box which is accompanied by a 20 page glossy booklet (size: 27cm x 27cm) containing comments from the members of the band and more than 100 rare and mainly unpublished photos belonging to the musicians. A limited edition and numbered Blind Guardian art print on special paper (sized 27cm by 27cm) and a guitar plectrum engraved with the band’s logo have also been added to the box."

http://www.blind-guardian.com/2012/12/01/a-travelers-guide-to-space-and-time-coming-in-february-2013/

Fellow Bards, help an American figure out how to preorder? It's on the Nuclear Blast shop, but only the European one... not the American one. American amazon doesn't have it either. I have no idea how to buy something with Euros and have it shipped to America, or if that is even possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63FbXbJEmIs

This is so good. Is like Cynic acustic version.

you should definately check out Portal. Not the death metal band Portal. But basically post-Cynic. It's the closest thing to Cynic after the Focus album. Masivdal/Reinert/Gobel/Kringel (original Cynic bassist) + a female singer. I believe it was recorded right after Focus.

Portal - Endless Endeavors

There's also Gordian Knot which was just session players and a lot more prog-rock. It was more Sean Malone's project + Reinert.
Gordian Knot - Rivers Dancing

Kaladin

Fellow Bards, help an American figure out how to preorder? It's on the Nuclear Blast shop, but only the European one... not the American one. American amazon doesn't have it either. I have no idea how to buy something with Euros and have it shipped to America, or if that is even possible.

Wait patiently, I'm sure it will show in the US Amazon store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom