• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I'm really enjoying Lamb of God's new album.

In Your Words, Set to Fail, and Contractor are my current favorites.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
vatstep said:
The new Tombs record that Relapse just released is really good, if anyone's looking for suggestions. Great live band, too; huge textures and walls of sound.

Relapse's sale has like half a dozen caveats, one of which being that 2009 releases are not included.

Edit: For those of you who loved the black metal and post-punk fusion of Âmesoeurs in Ruines Humaines, their new self-titled release has been released/leaked.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
R Squared said:
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!

New DT album:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/newreleases/dynimages/311_410x410.jpg[/img

The horrible unforgivable things I would do to get my hands on this right now. Releases June 23.[/QUOTE]
Oh shit. :D

Lebron

Just found out Stratovarius will be coming here(Chicago) later in the year. I've been a fan since I was recommended them by this thread, I'm so buying tickets.

Also, reading through this thread, and quick visit to YT, has showed me I need to go out and purchase some new music. Thanks for keeping this thread updated with the recommendations.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
MorbidAngelAUSTRALIA900.jpg

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck yesssssss!!!!!!!

I just ordered my ticket for the Sydney show.

I missed seeing them in the Nineties but not now, and the best thing is that Dave Vincent will be on vocals! My favourite Morbid singer and the best Death Metal vocalist by far.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
From Sputnik Music
US black metallers Wolves in the Throne Room have announced dates for their upcoming, headlining North American tour. The band will be supported by Krallice, A Storm of Light, Thrones and possibly more bands along the way.

5/13/2009 Marquis Theatre - Denver, CO w/Krallice
5/14/2009 The Picador - Iowa City, IA w/Krallice
5/15/2009 Triple Rock Social Club - Minneapolis, MN
5/16/2009 Bottom Lounge - Chicago, IL w/Krallice, A Storm of Light
5/17/2009 Casbah - Hamilton, ON w/A Storm of Light, Krallice
5/18/2009 Wreck Room - Toronto, ON w/Thrones, Krallice, A Storm of Light
5/19/2009 La Sala Rosa - Montreal, QC w/Thrones, Krallice, A Storm of Light
5/21/2009 Great Scott - Allston, MA w/Krallice, A Storm of Light
5/22/2009 Europa - Brooklyn, NY w/Thrones, A Storm of Light
5/23/2009 Sonar - Baltimore, MD - as part of Maryland Deathfest
5/24/2009 Club Hell - Providence, RI w/A Storm of Light
5/25/2009 Wallingford American Legion - Wallingford, CT w/Krallice, A Storm of Light
5/26/2009 The Studio at Webster Hall - New York, NY w/Krallice, A Storm of Light
5/28/2009 Kung Fu Necktie - Philadelphia, PA w/Krallice, A Storm of Light [6 PM show]
5/28/2009 Kung Fu Necktie - Philadelphia, PA w/Krallice, A Storm of Light [10 PM show]
5/29/2009 Gallery 5 - Richmond, VA w/Krallice, A Storm of Light, Forensics
5/30/2009 The Hideaway - Johnson City, TN w/Krallice, A Storm of Light
6/01/2009 Caledonia - Athens, GA w/Krallice, A Storm of Light
6/02/2009 The Earl - Atlanta, GA w/Krallice, A Storm of Light

Fans can also catch the band mid-way through their tour at the Maryland Death Fest.

Just thought some of you might be interested. I haven't heard any WITTR but I'm liking Krallice a lot.

Phobophile

NameGenerated said:
Just thought some of you might be interested. I haven't heard any WITTR but I'm liking Krallice a lot.

SOLD. Krallice put out the best album of 2008. Totally gonna be there in the Chicago show (provided I'm still in the area).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
A Storm of Light (playing most of the WitTR dates) are also really, really good and put out a great record in 2008 — it was released on Neurot Records, which should give you an idea of what it's like. This is gonna be such a good tour.

Leatherface

Any of you going to the New England Metal Fest this year? A pretty great line up so far.

Palladium in Worcester, Mass., the event will take place on Friday, April 17 and Saturday, April 18, with a an extra special pre-party on Thursday, April 16

FRIDAY'S LINEUP IS AS FOLLOWS:

MAIN STAGE presented by Metal Blade Records:
All That Remains, Between The Buried and Me, The Haunted, The Acacia Strain, Suffocation, August Burns Red, Napalm Death, Whitechapel, Kataklysm, Nachtymystium, Toxic Holocaust, After The Burial, Burning Human, Sylosis, Merauder, Woe Of Tyrants, Rose Funeral

2nd STAGE presented by Prosthetic Records:

Cattle Decapitation, Veil Of Maya, Psyopus, Coliseum, Aggressive Dogs, The Miles Between, Decrepit Birth, Trap Them, Psycroptic, XThe WarX, Withered, Bison B.C., Left To Vanish

Developing Artists Stage presented by Deathcote Records: ABACABB, Within The Ruins, The Destro, Brother Von Doom, We Are Gentlemen, Conqueror, Surrounded By Teeth, Pictures Of Winter, Half Hearted Comeback, Underlying Truth, Mordisk

SATURDAY'S LINEUP IS AS FOLLOWS:

MAIN STAGE presented by Metal Blade Records:
Lamb Of God, As I Lay Dying, Children Of Bodom, God Forbid, Municipal Waste, Emmure, Winds Of Plague, All Shall Perish, Austrian Death Machine, I Wrestled A Bear Once, Thy Will Be Done, Architect, The Ghost Inside, Book Of Black Earth, Century, The Crimson Armada, Animals As Leaders, Acaro

2nd STAGE presented by Prosthetic Records:
Have Heart, Terror, Shipwreck A.D., Cold World, Trapped Under Ice, Cruel Hand, The Carrier, This Is Hell, Energy, Unholy, Defeater, Dead Swans, Landmine Marathon

Developing Artists Stage presented by Deathcote Records: Stray From The Path, Soldiers, Oceano, Catalepsy, Conducting From The Grave, Broadcast The Nightmare, Autumn Black, For Today, Black Teeth, This Or The Apocalypse

that line up doesnt look promising at all.

The Maryland Death Fest looks fucking killer though. Might as well call it the Martin Van Drunen Festival \m/

Leatherface

*this is not directed toward anyone here specifically, so don't get your panties all bunched up* :)

I have to say, metalheads blow my mind with their narrow range of enjoyment out of the genre. Tastes, more often than not it seems, are always absolutely specific and everything else is "shit". There is no range, just OMG FUCKING BADASS or complete SHIT. Not to mention when others don't have the same elitist tastes in metal, they too suck and basically have no taste in music. :lol

Having been a huge metal fan for many years now, I've grown to love most sub-genre's of metal, some more than others obviously, but still- I can recognize great music / talent right off the bat regardless if it's 100% my flavor or not. So basically, this "elitist" fan mentality all too common in the genre baffles me to no end and is even downright annoying. I just wanted to get this off my chest because frankly I'm tired of seeing a bunch of douche bags in every forum on the net bicker about it. Constantly trying to out do each other by posting the most obscure black metal band one can find and act like they have a refined taste in metal (as they bash others). You keep thinking that! :lol

Metal has so much more to offer. It's a fucking shame so many are not willing to truely embrace it for what it is and give the genre the attention / respect it deserves.

Phobophile

Leatherface said:
*this is not directed toward anyone here specifically, so don't get your panties all bunched up* :)

I have to say, metalheads blow my mind with their narrow range of enjoyment out of the genre. Tastes, more often than not it seems, are always absolutely specific and everything else is "shit". There is no range, just OMG FUCKING BADASS or complete SHIT. Not to mention when others don't have the same elitist tastes in metal, they too suck and basically have no taste in music. :lol

Having been a huge metal fan for many years now, I've grown to love most sub-genre's of metal, some more than others obviously, but still- I can recognize great music / talent right off the bat regardless if it's 100% my flavor or not. So basically, this "elitist" fan mentality all too common in the genre baffles me to no end and is even downright annoying. I just wanted to get this off my chest because frankly I'm tired of seeing a bunch of douche bags in every forum on the net bicker about it. Constantly trying to out do each other by posting the most obscure black metal band one can find and act like they have a refined taste in metal (as they bash others). You keep thinking that! :lol

Metal has so much more to offer. It's a fucking shame so many are not willing to truely embrace it for what it is and give the genre the attention / respect it deserves.

Replace "metal" in that post with any other genre of music. Still applicable.

FFChris

You guys need to listen to Mastodons new album. So much better than Blood Mountain, and they've totally changed their singing style, they sound much better with clean vocals.

Xater

Leatherface said:
No where near the same extent though. Metal elitists are a special breed. heh.

You forgot to mention though that anything remotely popular is mainstream or a sell out etc.

If you mentioned any of those bands to someone who actually listens to chart music and shit they would have no idea who they are. :lol

I will also cheack out MAstodon now after all these glowing endorsements.

Leatherface

Xater said:
You forgot to mention though that anything remotely popular is mainstream or a sell out etc.

If you mentioned any of those bands to someone who actually listens to chart music and shit they would have no idea who they are. :lol

lol. so true.

Phobophile

Leatherface said:
No where near the same extent though. Metal elitists are a special breed. heh.

You haven't heard electronic music fans, then. It's a genre with over ten times as many sub-genres as metal.

Ceres

Banned
New England Hardcore & Metal Fest sucks mostly because they'll just take a bunch of existing good tours and give the headliners of those tours nothing more than a 30 minute set and the openers 20 min. I went to Montreal to see Pagan Fest last year because of that shit as it was the only other weekend date within 3 hrs of me.

Phobophile

Flynn said:
Anybody like Book of Black Earth? They're USBM from Seattle.

Band member TJ Cowgill is the guy behind Actual Pain.

I'm listening to their Myspace. Sounds alright. Not really any black metal in it, though except for the BM sound in old-school death metal. They sound a bit forced to me, though. Like a lot of these new DM bands that go out of their way to sound old-school. The core of it sounds like something that came out two decades ago but the finishing aesthetic and touches are incredibly modern: the production, subtle hardcore influences.

Flynn

Phobophile said:
I'm listening to their Myspace. Sounds alright. Not really any black metal in it, though except for the BM sound in old-school death metal. They sound a bit forced to me, though. Like a lot of these new DM bands that go out of their way to sound old-school. The core of it sounds like something that came out two decades ago but the finishing aesthetic and touches are incredibly modern: the production, subtle hardcore influences.

You're right. I'm probably guilt of mislabeling them by calling then USBM in the purest sense. I haven't bought the record yet -- they just now came onto my radar. I find the hardcore influences interesting. I really, really like the way Disfear blends genres.

Korranator

On the whole so far Mastodon's Crack the Skye seems more slowed down with much more heavy stonerish influences than their older material. I've given it a few spins now and only 4 songs really do anything for me. On the whole Leviathan is still their best work.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Grabbed the new My Dying Bride album, For Lies I sire today. I'll post impressions after I've listened to it.

I also bought a Bad Religion and Bad Brains album but as it's not Metal I won't go into it.

Flynn

Korranator said:
On the whole so far Mastodon's Crack the Skye seems more slowed down with much more heavy stonerish influences than their older material. I've given it a few spins now and only 4 songs really do anything for me. On the whole Leviathan is still their best work.

Is he using that new vocal style on the record? He was really, really nasally when I saw them at the Scion thing. The Atlanta people who had seen the band a million times were a little put off by it.

Leatherface

heard one of the new Mastadon songs on a DVR'd headbangers ball yesterday. AWESOME stuff. I'm buying the cd today. Check it out if you haven't yet, you'll be surprised at how different and great it is. :D

Phobophile

Dr. Strangelove said:
I can't decide whether this Amesoeurs album is really good, or really terrible. Thinking maybe somewhere in the middle.

Well it's above average. Solid, but not great. I'd give it like a 7/10.

Darko said:
So fucking good.

THe Human Abstract
LISTEN TO THIS

GET THIS ALBUM.
the-human-abstract.jpg

Oh man, this fooled me hard. I seen the album cover and decided to google "Nocturne"... unaware that there was another metal-ish band by the same name with a female vocalist. I was listening to them on their myspace page... and I'm thinking "Okay... never listen to Darko's opinion on music ever again".

Turns out the band name is actually The Human Abstract... silly me. Will listen soon and let you know what I think.

durendal said:
I'm interested in seeing how this turns out:
603px-Thedevilyouknow-Large_Actual_.jpg

Good or bad, I'm getting it on April 28th.

Yeah, day one. It could be total shit, and I'll still place my money... love Iommi + Dio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom