• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm glad Jesse is back, but it just feels too late. The genre has moved forward. It just sounds pretty unremarkable nowadays. Metalcore is such a saturated genre that you really need to do something special to standout and I dont think this will do the trick.

Here is me and Sami from Ensiferum a few hours before the gig.
Awesome.

I've been rereading the Game of Thrones books on and off and I love to play some Ensiferum when I'm reading em. It fits so well.

rObit

Banned
I'm glad Jesse is back, but it just feels too late. The genre has moved forward. It just sounds pretty unremarkable nowadays. Metalcore is such a saturated genre that you really need to do something special to standout and I dont think this will do the trick.

I dunno man, this feels pretty good to me. You're right, it's not pushing any boundaries, but it's definitely Killswitch, and I like me some Killswitch. Then again, I quite liked the Times of Grace album, so I guess I'm easy to please and/or a sucker for the sound that got me into the genre in the first place.

Seanspeed

Banned
I dunno man, this feels pretty good to me. You're right, it's not pushing any boundaries, but it's definitely Killswitch, and I like me some Killswitch. Then again, I quite liked the Times of Grace album, so I guess I'm easy to please and/or a sucker for the sound that got me into the genre in the first place.

I remember I heard 'Strength in Numbers' from Times of Grace and I was like, "Aw hell yea, Killswitch is back", but I didn't really like the rest of the album once I heard it.

I need to hear more of the new CD, I guess. I wont write it off that easily, but 1st impression wasn't great.

Also, is that the singer from Demon Hunter in your avatar?

rObit

Banned
I remember I heard 'Strength in Numbers' from Times of Grace and I was like, "Aw hell yea, Killswitch is back", but I didn't really like the rest of the album once I heard it.

I need to hear more of the new CD, I guess. I wont write it off that easily, but 1st impression wasn't great.

Also, is that the singer from Demon Hunter in your avatar?

Sure is, from the Summer of Darkness album art. Now that was an album.

rObit

Banned
Man, I think thats probably the last time I heard em. I used to get "Not Ready to Die" stuck in my head back in the day.

Their first 3 albums are their best. Storm the Gates of Hell was still pretty good, but then their guitarist (Don Clark, singer's brother) who co-wrote the songs left and they haven't been nearly as good since.

With all this Killswitch talk, I think we need to butch it up around here with some real metalcore!

Just kidding. Don't kill me KSE fans

With the release of that new Nails song, I've been on a big "Southern Lord Hardcore" kick lately. Southern Lord has been scooping up these hardcore/black/death bands for a while now. I love this stuff.

Nails
Enabler
Black Breath
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeOy651hK6Q
All Pigs Must Die

Can't talk about true metalcore without mentioning Integrity. Some of their music is available for free here if anyone is interested.

Check out Hotbild if you're into black metal inspired hardcore.

Sick as hell. Thanks for the rec.

Sweden does the blackened hardcore/crust thing well. Martyrdöd being another good example.

Martyrdöd are great. I wish the vocalist they had on the self titled album hadn't left. The vocals seem to get weaker with each new album.

Skitsystem is my favorite metallic punk band. All their material is absolutely killer.
Southern Lord is putting out their new album later this year.

Aske

I'm sorry you happen to live in a barbaric country ;)

"May 10 for the civilised world, May 14 for the USA"

Did you read their announcement on facebook? If not, you should

I hadn't but just did. Glorious! And I'm in Canada, so possibly barbarous by proxy...

-Eddman-

Wasn't Helloween and Gama Ray supposed to tour in the US this year or was it only Euro?

Nothing announced yet but there's a huge space in their schedule between the april 21st and may 28th gigs. I guess that will be filled soon with the obligatory Latin American dates and probably a US show too.

Going to see Gojira, Devin Townsend, and The Atlas Moth in a couple hours. Should be a good show, I haven't seen Gojira since 08 and have been waiting to see Devin Townsend.

Valtýr

why does it seem like i'm the only person who's been disappointed with everything baroness has put out since the red album. i was listening to the yellow album and just wasnt feeling it at all.

Ravager61

Valtýr;47188984 said:
why does it seem like i'm the only person who's been disappointed with everything baroness has put out since the red album. i was listening to the yellow album and just wasnt feeling it at all.

You aren't alone in here. Others here have expressed as much.

Not me though. I love Yellow/Green and Blue.

Going to see Gojira, Devin Townsend, and The Atlas Moth in a couple hours. Should be a good show, I haven't seen Gojira since 08 and have been waiting to see Devin Townsend.

I really wish they had a stop in Denver, I really like all three bands quite a bit and would especially like to see how The Atlas Moth is live; the other two bands will no doubt be awesome.

waypoetic

Banned
Just listened to that new Killswitch song. Meh. I haven't listened to Killswitch since Howard Jones left the band.

What is Howard doing nowadays btw?

I've been listening to a lot more death metal than metalcore lately but Wolves at the Gate's Captors album from last year has really been impressing me. It's definitely modern metalcore so if you aren't a fan of the genre there isn't much chance of this swaying your opinion but the clean vocals are surprisingly good and it seems like they avoid mindless chugging and over-abuse of breakdowns for the most part. Good stuff.

wolves-at-the-gate-album-cover.jpg

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
Was in Mexico to see my girlfriend. We went and saw Tyr and Ensiferum the night before I left. We went to the hotel on the night before the gig and met the bands. Got pictures and chatted with the dudes from Tyr and only a few from Ensiferum.

So anyway, roll on to the next day and Tyr are up. Heri asks if there are any Irish people in the crowd before adding; "Well there's one at least. Ah, there he is." He manages to see me (with the help of my girlfriend and the beacons that are my pale arms in a Mexican metal crowd) and then they start their cover of Wild Rover. It was a very surreal experience and likely one that won't ever repeat itself. Sure the song was probably already on their setlist but I never knew they had ever covered it.

I was in the lobby and a guy from Venezuela approached me saying I wasn't from around here. It wasn't my hair or skin that gave it away. Nope. My tshirt was of too high a quality to have been from there lol.

Here is me and Sami from Ensiferum a few hours before the gig.

It was completely unexpected, but now that I think about it, the dudes from TYR were so surprised you were there :D

Quite amazing, easily the highlight of the night! That and when Sami came down to talk to us only! :D Great memories that shall remain forever \m/ <3

Vio-Lence

Banned
I always felt Dio Sabbath had the best albums. Ozzy Sabbath had the best single songs here and there from each album.

I feel that it's hard to beat Paranoid thru Sabotage era Sabbath. The riffs man, the riffs, but I will concede that each album usually has 1 or 2 filler songs. Volume 4 would be god like, but its held back by Changes and FX, either way it's my favorite Sabbath album.

Sabotage is a fantastic album. Megalomania is arguably my favorite BS song.

my man. 3:24 to the end is perfection, but I do love me some Wheels of Confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom