• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Its not easy to pick one favorite song from the whole catalog. I could maybe commit to one favorite per album but even thats hard because some albums are stacked with classics.

I wasn't a fan of Dehumanizer when I first heard it but it really does grow on you.

My favorite tracks of the album? I, After All (The Dead), Computer God, Master of Insanity and Sins of the Father.

Computer God is just mindblowing.

Found this in related videos

Their death metal stuff was great.

This is what I point people to when they dont believe me that Fenriz was a beast on the drums for their earlier stuff. Insane how technical he was pre-black metal era.

on the topic of Sabbath...I'm a huge fan of Sabotage, but my favorite will always be Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Least favorite out of the Ozzy-era actually is Paranoid, not to say it's bad though.

Bob Ross

Went and saw Devin Townsend and Gojira last night with CptKrush, was one of, if not the best show I have ever been to. It was sold out and sounded awesome!

Kaladin

Doomriders recorded in January for a 2013 release

394921_463010623763539_2132483338_n.jpg

Bring it.

So how are you guys liking the latest Cult of Luna album? After quite a few listens I think it is very good. The whole futuristic city theme has ended up being some sort of Kraftwerky/Blade Runner soundtrack kind of sound which I was not quite expecting but I am enjoying nevertheless. Vicarious Redemption is one hell of a song btw, holy crap.

So how are you guys liking the latest Cult of Luna album? After quite a few listens I think it is very good. The whole futuristic city theme has ended up being some sort of Kraftwerky/Blade Runner soundtrack kind of sound which I was not quite expecting but I am enjoying nevertheless. Vicarious Redemption is one hell of a song btw, holy crap.
Yeah. Very good album.

P44

Did anyone get the blind guardian box set? I just want to know that I wasn't the only one to splurge money on remasters copies of stuff i already had.

P44

Can you take pictures of it?

Yeah, sure. Just uh, give me a bit of time.

Edit: These alright?

Second Edit: The reason I focused on night at the opera for the plectrum shot was because A maiden and the minstrel knight is bloody terrific and And then there was silence even moreso. Also I dislike the demo version of the bards song, its changed heavily from the release version and not as good, objectively, full stop. :p

FACE

Banned
Yeah, sure. Just uh, give me a bit of time.

Edit: These alright?

Second Edit: The reason I focused on night at the opera for the plectrum shot was because A maiden and the minstrel knight is bloody terrific and And then there was silence even moreso. Also I dislike the demo version of the bards song, its changed heavily from the release version and not as good, objectively, full stop. :p

Yup, thanks for the pictures. :)

Box set looks slick, if importing wasn't so damn expensive here I'd seriously consider buying it.

P44

Yup, thanks for the pictures. :)

Box set looks slick, if importing wasn't so damn expensive here I'd seriously consider buying it.

The remastered editions are quite nice, the art print I really liked personally. And the plectrum isnt bad too, not too thin :p

Nopren

A couple of things from this page:
I'm pretty sure pig squeals aren't usually associated with death metal.
And Cattle Decapitation doesn't use pig squeals, are neither crappy deathcore or death metal but very good grindcore.

This was basically my point as well. Responding with "It's the pig squeals, isn't it?" to
"shame i can't digest much more than a few dm bands" just doesn't make sense.

well, i'm biased towards clean, high vocals, but i just tend to put melody ahead of brutality.

Well you aren't alone, as the existence of melodic death metal proves. Which gave us the amazing Heartwork. It's a shame the Gothenburg sound is so prevalent :(

And Cattle Decapitation doesn't use pig squeals, are neither crappy deathcore or death metal but very good grindcore.

the only band(s) that are allowed to use pig squeals are Kataklysm and Autopsy. Especially Kataklysm during their early days.

Kataklysm - Mould In A Breed

Autopsy - Squeal Like A Pig. Especially the oink oink at the end haha. Actually this whole Fiend For Blood album is so goddamn sloppy and dirty like a pig.

Quikies83

This was basically my point as well. Responding with "It's the pig squeals, isn't it?" to
"shame i can't digest much more than a few dm bands" just doesn't make sense.

Well you aren't alone, as the existence of melodic death metal proves. Which gave us the amazing Heartwork. It's a shame the Gothenburg sound is so prevalent :(

My original "it's the pig squeals isn't it" was a joke.
But after it was said that no death metal bands use pig squeals, I brought up Cattle Decapitation...
And yes, lol, there are pig squeals in Monolith of Inhumanity. Whether this band is classified as death metal or grindcore is opinion... There are far too many arguments in this thread on what is metal that I don't think we need to dive far into that discussion.

Regardless, I was being silly.

Nopren

Well, metal is seriouz buzinezz, and all that jazz.

Anyhow, did put on Monolith of Inhumanity after posting, just to make sure I wasn't wrong. And when I listened for it I did recognise some pig squeals that I hadn't noticed on previous spins.

And sure, opinions. In my opinion CD is grindcore, but my point in classifying them as such, was to make the distinction between them, deathcore and Death Metal, which we talked about as not usually being associated with pig squeals.

Quikies83

Well, metal is seriouz buzinezz, and all that jazz.

Anyhow, did put on Monolith of Inhumanity after posting, just to make sure I wasn't wrong. And when I listened for it I did recognise some pig squeals that I hadn't noticed on previous spins.

And sure, opinions. In my opinion CD is grindcore, but my point in classifying them as such, was to make the distinction between them, deathcore and Death Metal, which we talked about as not usually being associated with pig squeals.

Oops, if I was coming across as a dick, it was totally unintentional and I apologize.
And I smell what you're stepping in.

Kaladin

I never saw a list like that when I worked college radio. We could play anything we wanted as long as the language was clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom