• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
w35_danielet.jpg

Edith, Hellrider, and Dadmonster pose for a photograph. In Botswana, heavy metal music has landed. Metal groups are now performing in nightclubs, concerts, festivals. The ranks of their fans have expanded dramatically. These fans wear black leather pants and jackets, studded belts, boots and cowboy hats. On their t-shirts stand out skulls, obscenities, historical covers of hard-rock groups popular in the seventies and eighties, such as Iron Maiden, Metallica, and AC/DC. They have created their own style, inspired by classic metal symbolism, but also borrowing heavily from the iconography of western films and the traditional rural world of Botswana. Their nicknames, Gunsmoke, Rockfather, Carrott Warmachine, Hellrider, Hardcore, Dignified Queen, may appear subversive and disturbing as their clothing, but they are peaceful and gentle. "We like to get dressed,, drink meet friends and feel free , this music is so powerful . We are lucky to live in a country tolerant and open" argues one of the leaders. A precious rarity for Africa.

I saw something similar, Vice episode, about Australian or perhaps African gangs named after metal bands. Rival gangs were true to how rival bands were, Megadeth vs. Metallica, etc. Pretty awesome haha.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Thats pretty fucking awesome. If nothing else it'll give some people a sense of being a part of a global community.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
udhhEmO.gif

funny how Anal Cunt, Adolf Satan, Fullblown AIDS, Cuntsaw, and Shit Scum all belong to Seth Putnam.

The station I'm the Assistant SM at right now doesn't really have that kinda of list but just your standard "here's what you shouldn't be a dick and say:" list.
I love that Dane Cook and Rush Limbaugh are on our list, lolol.

w35_danielet.jpg

I saw something similar, Vice episode, about Australian or perhaps African gangs named after metal bands. Rival gangs were true to how rival bands were, Megadeth vs. Metallica, etc. Pretty awesome haha.

If I remember correctly, I think they were kinda having a positive impact on the nightlife there, like doing what they could to keep the streets safe a night.

w35_danielet.jpg

There was a short documentary about them on Dutch TV. I haven't seen it yet, maybe I'll have a look this weekend.

Here's a preview.
http://www.metropolistv.nl/nl/nieuws/harige-headbangers-en-ruige-rockers
full video
http://www.documentairenet.nl/review/metropolis-over-metalheads/

Metalheads with cute bunnies ^_^

Melchiah

ATLAS HOODS: BOTSWANA'S COWBOY METALHEADS
http://www.vice.com/read/atlas-hoods-botswanas-cowboy-metalheads

gxnJ2Q4.jpg

"Dead Demon Rider"

hplYWM1.jpg

"Coffinfeeder"

al4IgNK.jpg

"Maximum"

"The costumes are like an arms race amongst the scene members," says Marshall. "There's a competition between them to see who can look the most brutal. When I was in Botswana, I was carrying around a few of the previous metaller portraits I'd done. The locals admired the guys in them. But they also felt compelled to raise their sartorial games."

Ravager61

Guys, this shitty Chicago weather has me feeling a little down.

Give me the most motivational metal you can think of.

Masterplan obviously. So cheesy. Just look at those lyrics man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDXRo78rtY

There was a place - a little town
Where we used to play and laugh around
We went too far - reaching for that star
And the light moved away from me

And the spirit never died - the world belongs to me
This is when I've been given time to live and see

I'll never give up - never give in
Won't stop believing cause I'm gonna win
Sing with my soul before I get old
Cause there may be no tomorrow
There is no limit to what can be done
Climbing the mountain with power so strong
Dusty roads - down the way
Leaving the future behind me

I got a fast car - like a rock star
Come and join the ride with me
Take a spin downtown
Check out who's around
I'll show you where you wanna be

And the spirit never dies - let the musik take you higher
I know what it means to burn
That's how I began to learn

So never give up - never give in
Rise from the fire if you're gonna win
Sing with your soul - soon you'll be old
Fight the demons inside you
Climb every mountain with power so strong
Dusty roads on the way - leaving the past behind you

I've seen love in vain
I have felt the pain
Torn in desire
Lead by the fire
And as I lived it all the world became to small
And my colors grew colder

The spirit takes me higher

Never give up - never give in
Won't stop believing cause I'm gonna win
Sing with my soul before I get old
What if there's no tomorrow
Climbing the mountain with power so strong
Dusty roads - down the way
Leaving the memories behind me

Use the spirit

Tunin

Guys, I was thinking, is there any band out there mixing post-rock with metal (specially progressive)? I'm curious because these two genres are my favorites, but I've not managed to find one mixing both, can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Guys, I was thinking, is there any band out there mixing post-rock with metal (specially progressive)? I'm curious because these two genres are my favorites, but I've not managed to find one mixing both, can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

you mean "Post-Metal" ?

ISIS
Cult of Luna
Rosetta
Red Sparowes
blah blah blah

Tunin

you mean "Post-Metal" ?

ISIS
Cult of Luna
Rosetta
Red Sparowes
blah blah blah

Nah, more like mixing the atmospheric elements of post-rock with harsh vocals. The closest thing I found was Lantlôs, but I'm still digging for more.

EDIT: As a huge fan of Red Sparowes, mixing their style with harsh vocals would be epic.

Guys, this shitty Chicago weather has me feeling a little down.

Give me the most motivational metal you can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZAj1MPpeo

Edit:

I don't even know what to say to that. Good night sir.

Best Sabbath Song. - Live version has a special place for me since I remember buying the cd and it being my first exposure to Dio Sabbath.

My favorite Sab song as well. Glorious fucking song from their best album IMO. The other 3 Dio fronted albums could easily wrestle for second place depending on my mood. The Devil You Know is certainly no slouch I can tell you that right now. Great album from a bunch of old fucking dudes.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Nah, more like mixing the atmospheric elements of post-rock with harsh vocals. The closest thing I found was Lantlôs, but I'm still digging for more.

EDIT: As a huge fan of Red Sparowes, mixing their style with harsh vocals would be epic.

Liam
Callisto
Trenches
Pelican
Russian Circles
Neurosis
The Ocean
Amesoeurs

I think those would be close too. Maybe not perfect, but hey. Or I could just be blowing smoke out of my ass, idk, some of them are instrumental bands or overlap with like atmospheric black metal or whatnot.

Dom Brunt

I think the "harsh vocals" stopped applying to them when they got the new singer, that's when I had to stop listening to them lol. Haven't even gone to see them live after that since I'd seen the new singer with his previous band and was definitely not impressed so I'd rather remember their gigs the way they were before 2008, ah the nostalgia. I think the old singer, who still is in the band btw, doesn't sing even the heavy parts anymore and I'm afraid the new guy would sing even the old songs live so that's a nope for me. I preferred the old singer's vocal style way more.

But they're a Christian band so I wasn't ever really that into them, but luckily I was never able to make out the lyrics on the first two albums heh. I think I'm gonna listen to True Nature Unfolds now since it's been so many years since I last heard it. See if it's still any good.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I think the "harsh vocals" stopped applying to them when they got the new singer, that's when I had to stop listening to them lol. Haven't even gone to see them live after that since I'd seen the new singer with his previous band and was definitely not impressed so I'd rather remember their gigs the way they were before 2008, ah the nostalgia. I think the old singer, who still is in the band btw, doesn't sing even the heavy parts anymore and I'm afraid the new guy would sing even the old songs live so that's a nope for me. I preferred the old singer's vocal style way more.

But they're a Christian band so I wasn't ever really that into them, but luckily I was never able to make out the lyrics on the first two albums heh. I think I'm gonna listen to True Nature Unfolds now since it's been so many years since I last heard it. See if it's still any good.

Yeah, their newest album, Providence wasn't very exciting or enjoyable, though I do commend them for trying to branch out, I hope they learned their lesson.

As for the "Christian" moniker, yeah, kinda, but what little lyrics their songs have are actually just kinda cryptic or short and not really that "Christian" per say, but whatever. It's not always a bad thing. True Nature Unfold (2004) and Noir (2006) are excellent albums. New album being recorded this year by them too.

Tunin

Liam
Callisto
Trenches
Pelican
Russian Circles
Neurosis
The Ocean
Amesoeurs

I think those would be close too. Maybe not perfect, but hey. Or I could just be blowing smoke out of my ass, idk, some of them are instrumental bands or overlap with like atmospheric black metal or whatnot.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

BTW, I kinda overlooked Isis, hell of a band.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
yessssssssssssssssss.

phoca_thumb_l_Poster_MX.jpg

we're Creative Waste <3

Sharing the stage with Napalm Death will be INSANE. Dream come true especially after playing with Nasum last Obscene in Czech. Truly honored to have this opportunity. If any one of you is gonna be there, let me know!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I had to share a comment someone made on blabbermouth about opeth with you guys.

"Listening to Opeth can put put a person who snorted a brick of meth or Coke + 5 espresso shots and a large cup of coffee, to a sound sleep immediately.

Fucking blabbermouth. Good for a laugh if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom