• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepy

I liked it. Fenriz is awesome/hilarious/goofy as fuck. Varg gets a bit preachy sometimes, but hey, it's Varg.

Thanks. The reviews are awful on Metacritic, not that it should mean something.

I had to share a comment someone made on blabbermouth about opeth with you guys.

"Listening to Opeth can put put a person who snorted a brick of meth or Coke + 5 espresso shots and a large cup of coffee, to a sound sleep immediately.

Fucking blabbermouth. Good for a laugh if nothing else.

Yeah, I saw that today, as well. That poster obviously has only listened to "Heritage". Also, was the BIG Opeth news just the new tour? Not a new album this year?

FACE

Banned
I had to share a comment someone made on blabbermouth about opeth with you guys.

"Listening to Opeth can put put a person who snorted a brick of meth or Coke + 5 espresso shots and a large cup of coffee, to a sound sleep immediately.

Fucking blabbermouth. Good for a laugh if nothing else.

Pure, undiluted truth. I passed out listening to Blackwater Park

Seanspeed

Banned
Taste in music is subjective. I'm with my good friend Face on this one. Opeth is for kids graduating from Tool.

One does not 'graduate' from Tool. They are their own unique perfection.

I've always thought Opeth was pretty terrible and boring myself. Their songs seem like a series of bad parts strung together. I really dislike listening to them.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
One does not 'graduate' from Tool. They are their own unique perfection.

I've always thought Opeth was pretty terrible and boring myself. Their songs seem like a series of bad parts strung together. I really dislike listening to them.

Tool are only just a step above the vile realm of Korn and Disturbed and their wretched kinsmen, honestly.

Seanspeed

Banned
You would be incorrect. I am a classically trained cellist (I guess one could say) and self-taught bassist.
Then you should realize how ridiculous it is to classify them with your average nu-metal band. They are leaps and bounds beyond them in composition and complexity. Their drummer alone is one of the best in the world and probably more noteworthy than any 'metal' band's out there. And really, the chemistry within the band is magical. They create some of the most moving, deep pieces of music out there in the rock/metal side of the spectrum.

Even if you didn't like the music, I would think you could at least appreciate the musicianship and songwriting aspects.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Then you should realize how ridiculous it is to classify them with your average nu-metal band. They are leaps and bounds beyond them in composition and complexity. Their drummer alone is one of the best in the world and probably more noteworthy than any 'metal' band's out there. And really, the chemistry within the band is magical. They create some of the most moving, deep pieces of music out there in the rock/metal side of the spectrum.

Even if you didn't like the music, I would think you could at least appreciate the musicianship and songwriting aspects.

I said there were a step above a nu-metal group, not the same thing.

I just find them to be an insufferable group. The music is not interesting at all. And honestly, I can think of other drummers and bands that would run circles around Tool. Danny Carey isn't even a popular/well-known name, imo, but that's beside the point. I just don't see anything they do as really that complex in comparison to other stuff I listen too. Well constructed, yes, but just not as "dude so deep" as I'm told.

Oh and Maynard is awful. And the quality of shows isn't determined by how many times he faces the crowd, Tool fans.

Maybe it's because I don't do drugs. You're supposed to be high for it right?

Seanspeed

Banned
I said there were a step above a nu-metal group, not the same thing.

I just find them to be an insufferable group. The music is not interesting at all. And honestly, I can think of other drummers and bands that would run circles around Tool. Danny Carey isn't even a popular/well-known name, imo, but that's beside the point. I just don't see anything they do as really that complex in comparison to other stuff I listen too. Well constructed, yes, but just not as "dude so deep" as I'm told.

Oh and Maynard is awful. And the quality of shows isn't determined by how many times he faces the crowd, Tool fans.

Maybe it's because I don't do drugs. You're supposed to be for it right?
Danny Carey isn't a popular/well-known name? Only one of the best drummers of all-time, but sure. lol

And you dont 'run circles around Tool'. They are a unique entity. They dont fall in established boundaries like most heavier bands. Granted, lots of bands get more complex and everything, but if I were to ask for names, I'm guessing you'd start saying some extreme metal stuff, which only highlights how far away Tool is from nu-metal garbage.

I'm not going to convince you to like them obviously, but you're definitely going out of your way to discredit them without any good justification for it. If its just not your thing or it just doesn't sound good to you, cool, but with with all due respect, you sound quite ignorant with your arguments.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Danny Carey isn't a popular/well-known name? Only one of the best drummers of all-time, but sure. lol

And you dont 'run circles around Tool'. They are a unique entity. They dont fall in established boundaries like most heavier bands. Granted, lots of bands get more complex and everything, but if I were to ask for names, I'm guessing you'd start saying some extreme metal stuff, which only highlights how far away Tool is from nu-metal garbage.

I'm not going to convince you to like them obviously, but you're definitely going out of your way to discredit them without any good justification for it. If its just not your thing or it just doesn't sound good to you, cool, but with with all due respect, you sound quite ignorant with your arguments.

He's not. I had to look up his name I still didn't recognize it. There are much bigger fish in the pond than him.

I'd say bands like Tesseract, Periphery and Animals as Leaders (though AaL can get pretty wanker-y at times, I will admit), would be must more complex and "deep" if you were to ask for some of the bigger ones I would name. Tool is just not as 'amazing' and 'undefinable' to me as it is to you.
Also 'extreme metal' band aren't my normal cup of tea either if you're talking like Cannibal Corpse/Nile/etc. end of it all.

I don't know why you're getting so bent out of shape over it. I need justification to discredit a band I don't like? lol. I said Tool is a bad band and I don't like them, big deal.

RayStorm

I don't know why you're getting so bent out of shape over it. I need justification to discredit a band I don't like? lol. I said Tool is a bad band and I don't like them, big deal.

You do understand that there is a difference in dislike and saying someone/something is bad, right?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
You do understand that there is a difference in dislike and saying someone/something is bad, right?

Yes. They are also not mutually exclusive. Though perhaps there is a bit of a semantic issue, to which I will apologize.

My stance in short: I do not like Tool and do not think they make good music. I do not think they are bad musicians, but I do think they are not the GOAT.

Seanspeed

Banned
He's not. I had to look up his name I still didn't recognize it. There are much bigger fish in the pond than him.

I'd say bands like Tesseract, Periphery and Animals as Leaders (though AaL can get pretty wanker-y at times, I will admit), would be must more complex and "deep" if you were to ask for some of the bigger ones I would name. Tool is just not as 'amazing' and 'undefinable' to me as it is to you.
Also 'extreme metal' band aren't my normal cup of tea either if you're talking like Cannibal Corpse/Nile/etc. end of it all.

Like I said, if you just dont like them, I've got no problem with that. But putting them in the ballpark of nu-metal, saying that Danny Carey is a no-name, acting like the quality of their live shows depend on Maynard facing the crowd, etc etc is a pretty clear indication of ignorance.

And yes, those bands you listed I would agree are a degree more 'complex' than Tool, but again, they are worlds away from nu-metal. Which just proves my point. I never said that Tool are the most complex band in the world or anything.

I'm banging my head on a wall here, so I'm gonna stop. This obviously isn't gonna result in any reasonable discussion.

At the very least, know that Danny Carey is one of the most highly respected drummers around, in ANY genre.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Like I said, if you just dont like them, I've got no problem with that. But putting them in the ballpark of nu-metal, saying that Danny Carey is a no-name, acting like the quality of their live shows depend on Maynard facing the crowd, etc etc is a pretty clear indication of ignorance.

And yes, those bands you listed I would agree are a degree more 'complex' than Tool, but again, they are worlds away from nu-metal. Which just proves my point. I never said that Tool are the most complex band in the world or anything.

I'm banging my head on a wall here, so I'm gonna stop. This obviously isn't gonna result in any reasonable discussion.

At the very least, know that Danny Carey is one of the most highly respected drummers around, in ANY genre.

To me, Tool is just one of those bands that I feel gets hyped to hell in back, and I don't really think they deserve that hype.

And I'm sorry that I had never heard of Danny Carey. He probably is a good drummer, but I just never hear that name, like, at all.

Sorry, I got too hot-headed, I'm in the wrong a little. But I'll back down out of this before we get grey name in here or something. Don't want an unnecessary warzone.

RayStorm

Before everything cools down I just want it to be noted that I take offense to you putting Disturbed in the same group with Korn and the like!

FACE

Banned
Yes.

Sabbat (UK) are severely underrated.
Sabbat - The Clerical Conspiracy

"Greet them with a velvet glove, then crush them 'neath an iron hand."

History of a Time to Come and Dreamweaver should be part of any greatest metal albuns list.

Hallelujah brothers!

So long as I'm slamming bands like Korn and Disturbed, I have to say that whatever that is is garbage. It sounds like a series of throwaway riffs put together with some generic thrash beats.

Just trying to be fair! lol

This is more my idea of 'metal':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IVUJjBa2Qo

I'm sure this'll get a ton of hate, too. ;)

iba2FiMJQUVn21.gif

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Danny Carey a no name? GAF members say the darnedest things. Take it from a drummer, Danny Carey's the real deal. And fuck the haters, Korn were ahead of their time when they started out. Mainstream success (and god) fucked with their "head". Great songwriters.

Sleepy

Their drummer alone is one of the best in the world and probably more noteworthy than any 'metal' band's out there. And really, the chemistry within the band is magical. They create some of the most moving, deep pieces of music out there in the rock/metal side of the spectrum.

Probably argued to death, but I figured I would throw my two (probably most unwelcome) cents in here. Brann Dailor, Martin Lopez (the ex-Opeth drummer), and that dude from Lamb of God are all better than Carrey. But I always forget that there is some "magical" reasoning for every Carrey drum hit...yeah, right. I do also see that you said one of the best, so I feel you were not being as absolute as other posters made it sound. The problem with Tool is that I find them to be both A) pretentious as hell, and B) incapable of making a compelling album. Sure they have some great songs, but then they have 20 minutes of filler nonsense on the album, which totally kills it as a unified piece of art for me. If there was ever a band made for iTunes, in the sense that one could just but singles from them, it's Tool.

And one most definitely "graduates" from Tool at some point.

Melchiah

I don't use Last.FM, Spotify, or any other music service, but my most played list would probably have a lot more horror/sci-fi movie & game soundtracks than metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom