• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's mine;

f14SmSy.png

http://www.last.fm/user/Yaaatoob

I added a bunch of you - love seeing what others are listening to, and it's a good way to find new bands.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I find it kinda funny how many people I see with Hank and Hank III in their scrobble lists, but not Hank Jr. :lol Now I wonder why THAT could be, haha.

EDIT: By the way, Hank + Hank III is absolutely the proper combination to have.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Nah, I honestly don't care about a musician's political affiliations. Hank Jr. has a few fun songs but the real talent skipped a generation in that family.

Yeah see, I was mostly going for "Hank and Hank III are legitimately great, Hank Jr is mostly the ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL guy".

FACE

Banned
Man, i have this whole concert on VHS (Live In East Berlin). Fucking tits. Kreator, Coroner, and Sabbat all in their prime. Wish this would get re-released on DVD.

Yeah, at least you can get the audio of the Sabbat performance in the remastered versions of Dreamweaver and History of a Time to Come.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
I have a lastfm account... but my password and even username is completely in the forgotten corners of my memory. Is quite interesting to see the different tastes in metal/music in general. Wish I had mine to compare.

this guy knows what's up.

Hell yeah. That's a tasty slab of bands.

Sabbat are pretty awesome, too btw. That video posted earlier is the shit. It's so funny seeing Martin look that young, as I'm more a Skyclad fan than Sabbat (but I still dig 'em a lot) and he's had that minstrel facial hair thing going for quite a while.

Now this thread needs some Skyclad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD9zi_WliSA

Sure, why not.

pmtCVZc.jpg

Love it.

I guess I'll join in.
46686_10151279913702335_252105431_n.jpg

Helloween and Iced Earth look to be standing right next to each other in that list. That's a lot of denim. I must admit, it's been a while since I've scrobbled so that list might look a bit different now, but who am I kidding probably not.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Makes me wonder sometimes, what's with certain metalheads who can't seem to let go of the past or adjust to future technology? I've played shows with grindcore bands who've yet to discover CD. They line up boxes upon boxes of cassette tapes when they ask you to trade. Mention your bandcamp page and your met with stone cold stares and awkward silence. I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO CASSETTE PLAYERS ANYMORE. But of course I can't mention that to them because I'm a pussyboy.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
Love it.

I guess I'll join in.
46686_10151279913702335_252105431_n.jpg

Helloween and Iced Earth look to be standing right next to each other in that list. That's a lot of denim. I must admit, it's been a while since I've scrobbled so that list might look a bit different now, but who am I kidding probably not.

Good, Excellent choices, sir! I salute you!

Makes me wonder sometimes, what's with certain metalheads who can't seem to let go of the past or adjust to future technology? I've played shows with grindcore bands who've yet to discover CD. They line up boxes upon boxes of cassette tapes when they ask you to trade. Mention your bandcamp page and your met with stone cold stares and awkward silence. I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO CASSETTE PLAYERS ANYMORE. But of course I can't mention that to them because I'm a pussyboy.

This is hilarious, but sounds true to the crusty punks/grindcore scene. I do however don't like the adjustment of the over-produced production sound of almost 90% of metal bands nowadays. So I do find some charm and nostalgia with cassettes/vinyls.

spink

Danny Carey a no name? GAF members say the darnedest things. Take it from a drummer, Danny Carey's the real deal. And fuck the haters, Korn were ahead of their time when they started out. Mainstream success (and god) fucked with their "head". Great songwriters.

i1SDvlmJAqnlz.jpg

kvlt as fvck

irOp2l9NBhZfK.png

VariantX04

http://i.minus.com/i1SDvlmJAqnlz.jpg[/IMG

kvlt as fvck

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/irOp2l9NBhZfK.png
Search deeper into your heart for you know it to be true. Not just anyone can up and start a trend/subgenre regardless of how shitty its influence turns out to be in the greater scheme of things.

Pig Destroyer is sticking out like a sore thumb in your list. Have you checked out "Bookburner"? I don't think they'll ever top Prowler.

This is hilarious, but sounds true to the crusty punks/grindcore scene. I do however don't like the adjustment of the over-produced production sound of almost 90% of metal bands nowadays. So I do find some charm and nostalgia with cassettes/vinyls.
Yeah, shitty recordings will always have their charm especially in grindcore/crust circles.

Bit late to the party (overall charts
screenshot2013-02-11a5nk3h.jpg

http://www.last.fm/user/OmegaDragon

Those who have last.fm, how do you use it? I primarily used it for the stats, but now I don't really care about them anymore. My last.fm charts are heavily biased towards my digital collection now.
For finding new music, it hasn't been that helpful to me. I did find some more artists via the similar artists on an artists page, but I haven't done that often. Same thing for the generated recommendations, I did find some, but I ignored most of them. The best resource on last.fm was the user forum for me.
I also sepnd quite some times on the forums of certain group. My favourite was a group centered around a game, where you had to recognise metal songs from small samples. Very fun and a nice way to test your knowledge/memory. I made quite some rounds for it, maybe I can upload some if people are interested.

kvlt as fvck

irOp2l9NBhZfK.png

Two of those band are another list, kvlt status revoked!
Do you have your player on at all times or something? Cause that's a lot of tracks for six months. Just listening to the first three artists would require 8% of the total time of those 6 months.

Yeah, shitty recordings will always have their charm especially in grindcore/crust circles.

Surely it most be possible to have that sound on CD/MP3.

VariantX04

A man of fine taste. My band played with Nasum last summer when they headlined Obscene Extreme which was set to be their last show post-Mieszko (RIP). They KILLED. Rotten Sound frontman Keijo Niinimaa took over vocal duties and he did a fine job. We were at the very edge of the backstage area cheering them on and I remember at one point during "Inhale/Exhale", they replaced the words with "Obscene/Extreme" and the organizer of the event had tears in his eyes. It was incredible. We met with them after the show, gave them our CD, snapped some pics and had a few laughs. Amazingly down to earth people although Anders seemed to keep to himself most of the time (we were told he's like that). It was a fucking dream. Too bad Mieszko wasn't there. :(

Of course but the novelty of cassettes is apparently unshakeable.

Those who have last.fm, how do you use it? I primarily used it for the stats, but now I don't really care about them anymore. My last.fm charts are heavily biased towards my digital collection now.
For finding new music, it hasn't been that helpful to me. I did find some more artists via the similar artists on an artists page, but I haven't done that often. Same thing for the generated recommendations, I did find some, but I ignored most of them. The best resource on last.fm was the user forum for me.
I also sepnd quite some times on the forums of certain group. My favourite was a group centered around a game, where you had to recognise metal songs from small samples. Very fun and a nice way to test your knowledge/memory. I made quite some rounds for it, maybe I can upload some if people are interested.

Two of those band are another list, kvlt status revoked!
Do you have your player on at all times or something? Cause that's a lot of tracks for six months. Just listening to the first three artists would require 8% of the total time of those 6 months.

Nasum first, I like that. And Death in June high up there too. :)

I only use last fm for stats, to search for concerts and comment on a few message boards (mainly Roadburn one)

They have now this thing http://www.lastfm.es/discover that is kind of cool to navigate and find stuff.

I think last fm had a great opportunity to become a Spotify killer, had it taken the music streaming part more seriously. Also, I don't know why Spotify does not try expand their platform by becoming more of a community like last.fm is. Weird that we have two different platforms that could copy a lot from each other and yet they don't.

Nasum first, I like that. And Death in June high up there too. :)

I only use last fm for stats, to search for concerts and comment on a few message boards (mainly Roadburn one)

They have now this thing http://www.lastfm.es/discover that is kind of cool to navigate and find stuff.

I think last fm had a great opportunity to become a Spotify killer, had it taken the music streaming part more seriously. Also, I don't know why Spotify does not try expand their platform by becoming more of a community like last.fm is. Weird that we have two different platforms that could copy a lot from each other and yet they don't.

Spotify has a Last.fm plugin. It doesn't seem to do anything outside of scrobbling though.

A man of fine taste. My band played with Nasum last summer when they headlined Obscene Extreme which was set to be their last show post-Mieszko (RIP). They KILLED. Rotten Sound frontman Keijo Niinimaa took over vocal duties and he did a fine job. We were at the very edge of the backstage area cheering them on and I remember at one point during "Inhale/Exhale", they replaced the words with "Obscene/Extreme" and the organizer of the event had tears in his eyes. It was incredible. We met with them after the show, gave them our CD, snapped some pics and had a few laughs. Amazingly down to earth people although Anders seemed to keep to himself most of the time (we were told he's like that). It was a fucking dream. Too bad Mieszko wasn't there. :(

That sounded like an amazing day. I saw them in June, great performance and one of my musical highlights. Got the gas masks couples T-shirt. Did they have a real gas mask couple at Obscene Extreme?

Speaking of Nasum and grindcore, I wore the above t-shirt at my internship. Someone asked about it and I tried to explain what grindcore was (someone else:" Ah, I know what it is. Fucking noise (tering herrie in Dutch)"). He later suggested to bring along a CD to play at work, so he had an idea what kind of music it is. I'm thinking of adding some of my favourite Nasum tracks and some other grindcore bands.
Any suggestions? I'm not to into grindcore. I will add Repulsion and Rotten Sound. Napalm Death too of course, but I have no idea which tracks apart from You Suffer. Same for Pig Destroyer.

I totally forgot Carcass. Shame on me.

That sounded like an amazing day. I saw them in June, great performance and one of my musical highlights. Got the gas masks couples T-shirt. Did they have a real gas mask couple at Obscene Extreme?

Speaking of Nasum and grindcore, I wore the above t-shirt at my internship. Someone asked about it and I tried to explain what grindcore was (someone else:" Ah, I know what it is. Fucking noise (tering herrie in Dutch)"). He later suggested to bring along a CD to play at work, so he had an idea what kind of music it is. I'm thinking of adding some of my favourite Nasum tracks and some other grindcore bands.
Any suggestions? I'm not to into grindcore. I will add Repulsion and Rotten Sound. Napalm Death too of course, but I have no idea which tracks apart from You Suffer. Same for Pig Destroyer.
CARCASS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom