• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Ive been on a weird documentary binge lately and found myself clicking on so many related links that i even watched a few on bands that arent really good but still enjoyed them.

RDreamer

Omnium Gatherum's new album "Beyond" is being streamed for a week before release!
images

http://www.inferno.fi/uutiset/inferno-tarjoaa-kuuntele-uusi-omnium-gatherum-albumi/

Awesome album. Loving it so far. Gonna be a good month for melodic death metal with this and Soilwork.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Anyone familiar with UK band Threshold, are they any good live? They're coming here in a month and I'm considering going. A friend linked me some songs, and while some seem kinda soft for my tastes, this is pretty good.

Nopren

One of the best Melodic Metal albums I have ever heard, period. I just wish they had a different vocalist.

Omnium Gatherum band + Mercenary Vocalist would be the best metal band EVER.

Boy you weren't kidding. Those vocals are such a damn shame, when the actual music is so good. And yes, Mikkel Sandager was so fucking good, still eats me out that he quit.

Seanspeed

Banned
I saw them live in 2001. Really small venue (Newport Music Hall in Columbus, OH), Godhead and Crossbreed opened for them. It was amazing. I'm actually shocked that they were allowed to use their pyros in such a small venue. It really was amazing, though.
I always wanted to see Crossbreed live. I dont really like it much anymore, but at the time, I always thought they'd be great for a rave or something.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I always wanted to see Crossbreed live. I dont really like it much anymore, but at the time, I always thought they'd be great for a rave or something.

There really need to be more bands that incorporate trance elements into metal like Crossbreed did. Blood Stain Child used to be really good, but ever since their singer bailed they haven't been the same. And I know there are a few others, but none of them really stick out in my mind.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Damn this Ghost EP by Buried at Sea is so fucking good, I'm so glad I picked it up on a whim.

The thing is just one track, 30 mins long, and it just so slow and foreboding. It feels like the musical version of feeling like there is something just outside your home in the forest, watching you, waiting for you, somewhere.

Just picked up a Buried at Sea ep used at a funky record store in the Mission District today. Can't wait to hear it.

Aquarius Records?
One of my favorite record stores. They have comprehensive reviews on their websites for almost all the albums they sell. The owners of that store are big metal heads.

bongripper posted this band on they fb page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKz-M661AAU

so good.

Earth are pretty well known. They've been all over the map the past decade, but Pentastar is my favorite. The comp 10 1990 is pretty good too.

Anyone going to see the Boris two night shows in a few months? I am ultra pumped.

I'm thinking of going to the SF show, but will probably wait last minute to see what kind of set they will be playing. I really wish they would play the Amplifier Worship stuff...

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Aquarius Records?
One of my favorite record stores. They have comprehensive reviews on their websites for almost all the albums they sell. The owners of that store are big metal heads.

The one and the same. I'm new to the bay so me and my group of like 10 coworkers when to SF yesterday just to explore and we hit that place up during our excursion. Great place, reminded me of the little record store I go to in South Dakota.

The one and the same. I'm new to the bay so me and my group of like 10 coworkers when to SF yesterday just to explore and we hit that place up during our excursion. Great place, reminded me of the little record store I go to in South Dakota.

Welcome to the Bay Area. Amoeba records is a great record store as well.
OM will be playing at The Independent this Wednesday, should be good times.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Welcome to the Bay Area. Amoeba records is a great record store as well.
OM will be playing at The Independent this Wednesday, should be good times.

Thanks! That I've heard, need to go there too.

My group saw an indie rock show at Bottom of the Hill last night (The Wedding Present w/ Nightmare Air) and that was pretty sweet. Nice. Don't know if I can make it on a work night from Mountain View, but yeah, I need to check out more shows here.

friday

I'm thinking of going to the SF show, but will probably wait last minute to see what kind of set they will be playing. I really wish they would play the Amplifier Worship stuff...

Well the are going to be playing Flood, which is good enough for me. The first night is just the cherry on top.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
For anyone that hasn't seen Until the Light Takes Us (early black metal documentary) and has Netflix, it looks like it's expiring on the 20th after a long run of availability. Just a heads-up.

By the way, I have a spare ticket for Roadburn 2013 in case somebody here would be interested. I sell it for the same price it cost me, of course.

Just in case anyone was interested: new Soilwork song - "Long Live The Misanthrope"

This song sounds like something off of Natural Born Chaos. It seems like the album is less of a "new direction" and more of a review of all of their previous work, which is more than fine in my mind.

I haven't heard it yet (just looking for it atm) but why did you not like it? Is it very different from Satan worshipping doom?

EDIT: listening to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JahUMlAZQ4g now.... Probably it has to do with it being a shitty youtube video but the sound is a bit of a mess, isn't it?

It actually does sound like that. Bad recording and sounds like a drunken mess. I was expecting something along the lines of Meat Ditch they did with Winters in Osaka:

http://bongripper.bandcamp.com/track/meat-ditch

I saw them this last November in NYC. I had no idea what to expect and was totally blown away.

This one is great live.

Yep, the gig in Hamburg was awesome, too! It also had the loudest and best sound I've witnessed so far. You could hear everything clearly, yet it totally destroyed us. They are so heavy on the low end! I also got autographs from Pike and Matz (the bassist) and talked to them a while. Just cool and down to earth dudes! The crowd was small (as was the club) but that only added to the flair of that evening because clearly everyone had fun, both on and off stage. :)

New Nails album is so fucking amazing. Might be the heaviest album I have ever heard. The production is just something else.

This song was posted before but it's still my favorite after hearing the whole album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iis8Jvv5WaM

Anyone recommend stuff similar to this but instrumental? Never been able to get into the more extreme sides of metal because the vocal style just doesn't sit right with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom