• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Sandman42 said:
Iced Earth Update From Jon Schafer

Great news about new Demons and Wizards album.
I'm still mad that i missed Iced Earth in March, damn that stupid flu :(

Oh well, i will go to Metal Camp (probably just for one day), to see Blind Guardian

Acid08

Banned
PrinceAdam said:
Get out of town!

are you serious?
Yup yup. I live like down the street from them in California. Zetro is definitely one of the coolest fucking people I've ever met. And DDP is awesome :D .

Halvie

Banned
Giant Robot said:
^^^ I hope that was a joke post

oh bitch please don't even want to start that tnoght...shit is better than anything posted in this lame ass thread.l Go dress in black coolness

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Halvie said:
oh bitch please don't even want to start that tnoght...shit is better than anything posted in this lame ass thread.l Go dress in black coolness

You're a funny guy.

Masenkame

Hardcore is all right, but it's not metal. Also, metalcore leaves a bad taste for many metalheads, so that might poison hardcore for some. Though, crossover thrash is fun.

Deathchain.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrQ1zhh-vh8&feature=channel_page
this band is pretty good :D
listen and if you like... catch all the others
deadmeat.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yduG-TNOQNs

TOM f'N CRUISE said:

Definitely pure genius. I think BIOW is my favourite Drudkh-album. It's like the perfect meld between the old and new Drudkh. They need to release another album ASAP.

I'm just now listening to Astrofaes - Idea. Form. Essence…, for the first time, and it seems like a it's going to be a keeper. From what I know it's the drummer and vocalist from Drudkh + random dude. Less folky, more raw black metal, but still quite epic and melodic. Good stuff.

Speaking of good stuff, I caught Negura Bunget live this Friday. And they were awesome. Might have been the worst place they've ever played though. First of all, they were late, Negru had to borrow the club's drum-set and the sound system was beyond crap. The stage was tiny (Three of them played on the floor, separated from the crowd by three chairs in a line). The thirty or so people there were drunk as hell (except for maybe five guys who actually came to see Negura Bunget), and most were obnoxious. Two guys were literally within a yard of the vocalist/guitarist and were fist pumping inches from his face. I think he should have just stopped the show in between songs and told them to backup, but I guess he figured they might go all aggro on him (one of these said morons was huuuge). When they introduced themselves the singer said "Hi, this is the first time we're in Sweden... I don't know if this is an appropriate venue, but we'll see how it goes." Then proceded to rock the hell out of the the horn-intro to Inarborat.

They were awesome but it was clear they didn't like playing there, but their performance was pretty cool none the less. When they broke into Tesarul de Lumini for the final act I was in heaven. It was over way too soon though, and Huppogrammus waved to Solfaur to cut the outro to it (which is basically two minutes of instrumentals). I have a feeling he decided to cut the show short because they played way shorter than the two other bands that night, and Negura Bunget were the headliners.

So, heaven and hell :p Still, they were awesome to see, and I'll definitely catch them whenever they come nearby again.

Decado

Stripper13 said:
Quickest listen ever... I don't like - the vocals are far too harsh for me.

On that note - anyone have any recommendations for a metal and/or heavy-rock band... that is new/still-active, that doesn't have harsh vocals?

I tried to listening to a lot of stuff like Symphony X and the like, and it just doesn't fit my taste... call me a metal-noob, but I like clean vocals and while I love the metal "sound", I like a heavy riff as opposed to constant shredding.

I'm finding that I'm enjoying some of "Serenity", but possibly only because it's one of the only symphonic metal bands I can find that has clean, male vocals and decent song structure.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them - I need some new music.
There are a lot (it is also my preference). Several have been mentioned, but here are a few I didn't see.

Falconer - sounds right up your ally. The male vocalist for the majority of their albums was classically trained.
Bob Catley
Sonita Artica
Edguy
Jorn Lande (and Russell Allan)
Metallica
Megadeath
Freedom Call

There are plenty others. The majority of those fit more into the "power metal" mold, though.

Falch

Been listening to Mastodon's Crack the Skye some more, and it's really growing on me. Fav songs sofar are Oblivion and The Czar.

Also, check out If These Trees Could Talk: Malabar Front.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So OSI's new album Blood leaked about a week ago. I've heard it's pretty awesome. Looking forward to picking it up soon.

Also, been really enjoying Crack the Skye. Being a progger by nature, I really like The Last Baron, and the whole album really is probably the closest to thing to prog that they've released. Still might not put it above Leviathan, but I'd have to listen to Crack a few more times to be sure.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Yeah Bodom went downhill fast. First 3 albums are amazing, as is Tokyo Warhearts. HCDR is good, AYDY pretty much sucks, same with Blooddrunk save for a few songs (Tie My Rope, which I LOVE, Banned From Heaven, and Hellhounds On My Trail)

The Heaven and Hell album already leaked :O ...Have..to..resist.. (wenn, I'm buying it anyway but I'll be strong and wait a bit longer). Some new songs are already on youtube, though.

NameGenerated

Anyone heard of After the Burial? I ordered a CD online and for some reason they gave me their CD for free. I listened to the first song and it isn't my thing. Already had 2 breakdowns, which I find annoying because they are so frequent in the genre, and the vocals suck. Sounds a lot like Meshuggah at times.

nitewulf

recommend some melodious, complex, instrumental stuff...ie, Opeth without the vocals. if that kinda stuff actually exists, that is.

edit: i meant Opeth, i love their sound and hate their vocalist.

If anyone is interested, the new Devin Townsend album 'Ki' has now leaked. I am such a massive fan of all his work, but I got it and so far I'm really not feeling it :-/ It feels a bit dull, but I'm going to give it a chance, hopefully its just very subtle and will take a few listens to appreciate. I hope.

Ravager61 said:

Saw them play last year at SXSW.
Cool guys and pretty neat to watch them play this stuff live. One of the few bands that are super technical, but catchy and with grace.

Another recommendation might be Canvas Solaris thats similar in the vein of Scale the Summit. And then theres Behold...The Arctopusfor the crazier Naked City/John Zorn chaos.

Dysrhythmiais also fantastic. A little bit more mellow than previous bands.

Ceres

Banned
nitewulf said:
i meant Opeth by the way, I'll check out the recs. thanx...

Ah.. that helps a bit more. However, Opeth is really a rather unique band. What about his vocals don't you like? I think he's got a phenomenal voice both when singing cleanly or growling. Do you dislike the growling? I know a lot of people have a hard time with that type of singing in general. If that's the only thing keeping you from enjoying Opeth, maybe try Damnation and their latest.

Other stuff to maybe try is Pain of Salvation, Green Carnation, and Riverside. Also Anathema but you may not like the vocals.

cwmartin

Don't want to derail or anything, but is there a hardcore thread? I dont want to start ranting about Vanna or The Devil Wears Prada and start a fight with anyone, unless you guys want to talk about em. :D

theres many more than just those 2 obviously...

Esch

Banned
For the guys who are genuinely into extreme metal, you have to check out Beherit-Engram. Best black metal album in years, and it's a reunion album to boot.

http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/img/d48/23597.jpg

This is an amazing fusion of raw BM and ambient music. Give it a try. It doesn't reinvent black metal but it perfects the style Burzum, Darkthrone, and Beherit themselves pioneered. I can't plug this album enough.

Flynn

cwmartin said:
Don't want to derail or anything, but is there a hardcore thread? I dont want to start ranting about Vanna or The Devil Wears Prada and start a fight with anyone, unless you guys want to talk about em. :D

What's Disfear? Because I'd like to hug and kiss whatever category Disfear falls into.

ianp622

nitewulf said:
recommend some melodious, complex, instrumental stuff...ie, Opeth without the vocals. if that kinda stuff actually exists, that is.

edit: i meant Opeth, i love their sound and hate their vocalist.

Well I think their vocalist has one of the best voices and growls in death metal, but I could understand if you just don't like growling.

You might like Agalloch, which still has some growls, but they don't play a prominent role in the music. Some of their songs are completely instrumental.

the-iek

cwmartin said:

theres many more than just those 2 obviously...
you shoudl start one ;)

Ravager61

EschatonDX said:
For the guys who are genuinely into extreme metal, you have to check out Beherit-Engram. Best black metal album in years, and it's a reunion album to boot.

http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/img/d48/23597.jpg

This is an amazing fusion of raw BM and ambient music. Give it a try. It doesn't reinvent black metal but it perfects the style Burzum, Darkthrone, and Beherit themselves pioneered. I can't plug this album enough.

I hate to say it but on first listen, I found the new album to be a bit monotonous and boring. Im a huge fan of DDtM so I was a little disappointed with this release.

Ceres

Banned
the-iek said:
you shoudl start one ;)

He probably would if he could.
The main problem would be that there's not likely enough hardcore fans in this forum to keep a thread going and the entire first page or so would be filled with people bashing the music. Metal is a generalized enough genre that covers a great many styles so it's hard for music elitist GAF to bash it without looking stupid. You can complain about the direction of such and such but that's a bit different. Hell, this thread will go days without posts before someone bumps it. We don't pull that "AOTY" thread nonsense that indie music GAF does every week though which is why this is one of the longer music threads.

Plus, something like The Devil Wears Prada is usually considered a metalcore band which will cause some hardcore punk elitists to bitch about the subgenre. I'm pretty sure there's been a few threads the last few months bashing metalcore.
Personally, I'm not a fan of the genre as a whole although there are a few stand out bands that I'll listen to.

NameGenerated

The one date near me, they split up the tour. So on the 14th of May Bodom and AILD are playing here and an hour and a half away in Richmond is LoG, MW, and GF. They did that I assume because LoG and MW are both from Richmond and they wanted them to have more time...but I would have loved for Bodom to be there too. I care not about any of them except CoB and MW and they just so happened to split them up. :(

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Fuckingg tits, 45 bucks at the door at Roseland. Ouch.

Sorry Municipal Waste, you are not that awesome.

NameGenerated

I'm still undecided as to who I want to see. Either stay here and see CoB again (saw them in September) or drive awhile and see MW on their home turf, which I'm sure will be insane. I also doubt anyone would go with me either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom