• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darko said:
So fucking good.

THe Human Abstract
LISTEN TO THIS

GET THIS ALBUM.
the-human-abstract.jpg

Quickest listen ever... I don't like - the vocals are far too harsh for me.

On that note - anyone have any recommendations for a metal and/or heavy-rock band... that is new/still-active, that doesn't have harsh vocals?

I tried to listening to a lot of stuff like Symphony X and the like, and it just doesn't fit my taste... call me a metal-noob, but I like clean vocals and while I love the metal "sound", I like a heavy riff as opposed to constant shredding.

I'm finding that I'm enjoying some of "Serenity", but possibly only because it's one of the only symphonic metal bands I can find that has clean, male vocals and decent song structure.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them - I need some new music.

Hellcrow

durendal said:
I'm interested in seeing how this turns out:
603px-Thedevilyouknow-Large_Actual_.jpg

Good or bad, I'm getting it on April 28th.

That picture has been on the internett for ages. Believe I found it on 4chan a long time ago. Does it come from this?

2z8zsrq.jpg

Hellcrow

Stripper13 said:

On that note - anyone have any recommendations for a metal and/or heavy-rock band... that is new/still-active, that doesn't have harsh vocals?

I tried to listening to a lot of stuff like Symphony X and the like, and it just doesn't fit my taste... call me a metal-noob, but I like clean vocals and while I love the metal "sound", I like a heavy riff as opposed to constant shredding.

I'm finding that I'm enjoying some of "Serenity", but possibly only because it's one of the only symphonic metal bands I can find that has clean, male vocals and decent song structure.

Kamelot? One of the few Power Metal bands I like.

Ceres

Banned
Stripper13 said:

Sounds to me like you might prefer your basic US power metal.
Iced Earth
Nevermore

And if you like some of Serenity, you might want to check out Sonata Arctica.

Other random ones that will probably be hit and miss:
Evergrey
Pathosray
Sabaton
Pantommind
Volbeat

ianp622

Stripper13 said:

Virgin Black is mostly operatic vocals, but there are also some death growls thrown in on some songs. It's worth a listen, although it's not entirely guitar-based.

Also, Blind Guardian, Dream Theater, Katatonia, and Porcupine Tree are worth checking out (although the last three are more progressive, while Blind Guardian is power metal).

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Stripper13 said:

What Symphony X album did you listen to? I prefer Paradise Lost the best because it's the most riff oriented and not just wanky as hell.

Otherwise, I really, really recommend 80s-styled US power metal as it's more focused on riffs unlike more modern power metal and it's not flowery like European power metal:

Omen - Battle Cry
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic; Voyager (from 2008)
The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Traveller (from 2003; if you don't like this album, then you pretty much hate metal)
Twisted Tower Dire - Isle of Hydra

Esch

Banned
I realized today that this thread is surprisingly flame free. It's interesting to see a metal discussion where the -core fans don't get immediately doused in napalm. I'm actually not sure how i feel about it :lol . I'm used to, and prefer more argumentative threads/boards.

Darko

Giant Robot said:
my thoughts exactly.

:( you're breaking my heart gaf.... :lol nah thats the main reason I dont listen to most metal core but I like the classical elements of the album and the band is really good live.

Xevren

EschatonDX said:
I realized today that this thread is surprisingly flame free. It's interesting to see a metal discussion where the -core fans don't get immediately doused in napalm. I'm actually not sure how i feel about it :lol . I'm used to, and prefer more argumentative threads/boards.

Every now and then some flames come up. Especially when someone brings up how they love Dragonforce.

Ceres

Banned
EschatonDX said:

We leave the fighting for the general music threads.

nitewulf

Stripper13 said:

you should listen to The Cult, they are not metal but I think that's what you'll like.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
New Mastodon is pretty good. I'm liking it more than Blood Mountain already — this is clearly a more focused-sounding album. And I'm a little bit more excited now about the prospect of them playing the whole thing live when I see them in May... I was gonna go for Kylesa and Intronaut anyway, but this is icing on the cake.

blahness

vatstep said:
New Mastodon is pretty good. I'm liking it more than Blood Mountain already — this is clearly a more focused-sounding album. And I'm a little bit more excited now about the prospect of them playing the whole thing live when I see them in May... I was gonna go for Kylesa and Intronaut anyway, but this is icing on the cake.
I feel exactly the same way... it took a few listens for it to click with me but I am loving it more with each listen. The only thing I dont like is the jazzy guitar part in the middle of The Last Baron and that song should also have been half the length it is. I missed the internet presale for the tickets for the new tour but hope i can get tickets when they go on sale as I want to hear the whole album live and they say that they are going to play some unexpected older stuff :)

saw Carcass again last night in San Francisco. Wasn't planning on going cause they recently played about 5 months ago at the SAME venue, but I got in for free. Venue wasn't as packed as last time and there were a lot of younger people, but Carcass did put on a great show. Still tight and fast as they were 15 years ago. Jeff Walker was singing the majority of the older songs, but Bill Steer did his vocal duties for Exhume To Consume/Reek of Putrefaction. Everything was played quite faithfully, even down to Daniel Erlandsson doing single feet blast beats \m/

Songlist:
Inpropagation
Buried Dreams
Corporal Jigsore Quandary
Carnal Forge
Incarnate Solvent Abuse
Empathological Necroticism
Reek Of Putrefaction
This Mortal Coil
No Love Lost
Embodiment
Ruptured In Purulence
Heartwork
Keep On Rotting In The Free World
Edge of Darkness (intro)
Genital Grinder
Exhume To Consume
Pyosisfied: Rotten To The Gore
Carneous Cacoffiny (outro)

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Apparently Jason Newsted is going to be playing with Metallica for a bit at their hall of fame induction...that seems...odd.

JimmyV

Banned
has there been any news on Manowar's next album?

NameGenerated said:
Apparently Jason Newsted is going to be playing with Metallica for a bit at their hall of fame induction...that seems...odd.

I guess it kinda makes sense....wait....WAIT...that means in Mustaine wasnt doing that tour he would be....oh man I dont even want to think about it!!!!

saw PELICAN and Wolves In The Throne Room last night in SF.
WITTR was fucking EPIC. Coming in and out of the fog :lol
Pelican are one of my favorite bands, but are pretty boring live. However, last night's show was pretty epic. 2 brand new songs and 2 unexpected tracks that made me shit my pants: EARTH cover and their epic song from the first s/t: The Woods ! ! !

a whole weekend of metal show overdose here. Carcass on Thursday, Toxic Holocaust on Friday, Pelican/WITTR on Saturday.

wRATH2x

Banned
jimmbow said:
I guess it kinda makes sense....wait....WAIT...that means in Mustaine wasnt doing that tour he would be....oh man I dont even want to think about it!!!!

I know man, would have been an awesome moment.

Flynn said:
Semi related: I want to share some of my impressions from a visit to Double Fine last week for Brütal Legend. The game has been embedded with tons of references to heavy metal.

I also got Schafer to admit that there's significance to the black metal t-shirt that the game's main character is wearing.

Thought these two stories would be of special interest to you guys.

surprisingly i havent followed anything about Brutal Legend because I want it to surprise me every second, but i just found out the main character is named Eddie Riggs! Iron Maiden mascot + Iron Maiden Artist = Eddie Riggs! :lol :lol

Sandman42

Iced Earth Update From Jon Schafer

http://icedearth.com/

They are taking a break and then Jon will be working on a new Demons and Wizards album with Hansi for 2010. :D

What have you guys liked in 2009 so far?

Hordes of Chaos by Kreator is still the #1 album of 2009 for me, but I have also liked:

"The Detached" by Anubis Gate
"From Within" by Astra
"Oblivious To The Obvious" by Hourglass

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
All I've gotten that's been released in '09 is Crack the Skye, which is damn good.

Super-hyped for Wintersun's "Time", Dream Theater's "Black Clouds & Silver Linings", and whatever Atheist and Immortal do. And hopefully Megadeth will put something new out this year too.

so far in '09 the 2 new Autopsy tracks. Other than that nothing at the moment. But I am anticipating Pelican's new EP on Southern Lords Records.

So far, I really like Sólstafir - Köld. Don't know how to categorize them, probably something post-metal/rock/hardcore? It's a really nice album.
I'm also quite fond of Fen - The Malediction Fields, nice atmospheric BM that reminds me of of Agalloch, Alcest and ColdWorld. My first impressions of Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue With The Stars and Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs were also positive.

OmegaDragon said:
So far, I really like Sólstafir - Köld. Don't know how to categorize them, probably something post-metal/rock/hardcore? It's a really nice album.
I'm also quite fond of Fen - The Malediction Fields, nice atmospheric BM that reminds me of of Agalloch, Alcest and ColdWorld. My first impressions of Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue With The Stars and Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs were also positive.

Malediction Fields is pretty cool. As was their EP. It's not exactly ground breaking, but it's a nice atmospheric twist on black metal.

I was actually coming to this threadtto to post about Amesoeurs, so you just beat me to it.

Both their full length S/T and the Ruines Humaines EP are great stuff. Some of it is hardly metal, but who cares. I've heard it compared to Katatonia's Brave Murder Day and in some instances I can agree. It has that "The Cure meets Metal"-vibe going. But it's black metal rather than death/doom. Then of course a few of the songs strike me as being some kind of post-punk/pop thing (though I'm notoriously crappy at categorising "normal" music). But whenever Neige kicks in the vocals it screams black metal. He's one hell of a vocalist.

Also, I think Amesoeurs might be might favourite album cover for quite some time.

8200921315335.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkS1NtjSQ7A - female vox, fairly heavy song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjEU4zcjdo - female vox, really mellow, not metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTXEAt6w7yo - Neige vox, mellow, but heavy.

I also liked Alcest's Le Secret, which I've been spinning the last couple of days. It seems to be a nice mix of the Black Metal vibes of the Tristesse Hivernale-demo, with the production/melodies of Souvenirs. However, I think I prefer it to both of them. Tristesse is just too awfully produced (don't care if it was intentional), and souvenirs lacks the BM-vibe (though some of the drumming is occasionally a bit BM-esque).

I also have to mention Peste Noire's third album: Ballade cuntre lo Anemi francor which I just got a hold of today.

22417_0.jpg
It's definitely different, way more psychedelic/avant-garde. Thus far I like it. Not as much as La Sanie, but I have a feeling it might grow on me. The musicianship is top notch, the songs are strong. If I have any real criticism it's that the vocals are a bit tame. They're growled, but they've lost a bit of the raspy, almost burzum-esque quality they had before. Especially on the early demoes. Either way, it's worth a listen, especially if you liked the first album, but got turned off by the second. This isn't like either of them, but worth a try.

Ceres

Banned
This probably doesn't appeal to most here, but The Agonist has a new album out.

Their myspace has two songs from the new album: The Tempest and Matyr Art

I saw them like 4 times two years ago because they kept opening up for tours/shows I was going to. They're one of the more tolerable metalcore bands and Alissa's voice is pretty nuts. I think she's a much better growler than Angela and her regular singing voice is pretty good if a bit "whiney."

Outside of that, Amorphis has a new song on their myspace called Silver Bride: http://www.myspace.com/amorphis

For prog fans, I've also recently been made aware of Vangough. It's a bit of Evergrey meets Pain of Salvation. Nothing really original but you'll probably like it if you're a fan of either bands.

And I hated their last album, but all of Lacuna Coil's new album is available on their myspace for the next few days.

got Arghoslent's album of the first 3 demos today. Stuff from as early as 1991. Proves that this band was even magical since they first started. Holy shit i want these songs re-recorded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom