• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Stratovarius album is fucking insanely good.

Pretty fucking wild how good this band has gotten after all the drama with Tolkki and his subsequent exit. Polaris, Elysium, and now Nemesis are all rock solid as hell.

Must check out the later stuff so.

Edit: Infernal Maze on Elysium is amazing. Holy shit!

strafer

Now we're talking.

<3

fy4TzAu.jpg

DanaInPurple

Neo Member

Pretty fucking wild how good this band has gotten after all the drama with Tolkki and his subsequent exit. Polaris, Elysium, and now Nemesis are all rock solid as hell.

It sounds very electronic but always keeping their own style, the ballad is quite lovely, and Jani (ex Sonata) played the acoustic guitar on that and did a lot more in that album afaik.

Quikies83

new BMTH album is good

It's very good. I like Oli's vocals but some of the lyrics are meh - definitely more in the direction of their last album than their early metalcore/deathcore stuff.
I don't guess he's capable of producing those beefy, murderous lows anymore though :(

Quality album.

RayStorm

They actually were quite good in the midst of the drama. The Revolution Renaissance demo by Stratovarius shows that to some degree after their slightly horrible self titled album.

But after listening to the RR demo, then new era by the band Revolution Renaissance, Nemesis by Stratovarius and right now Sympfonia - In Paradisum I have come to the conclusion that musically Tolkki and Kotipelto just belong together. Neither of their works after the split quite do it for me as Stratovarius with Tolkki managed to. He's just a really great composer and guitarist.

Finally got around to listening the latest album from Tragedy "Darker days ahead" and fuck, am I addicted to it. I am sure people will say it's not even close to their best recordings but these guys are so good that they are amazing even at their worst. Will see how high does this one rank against their other records. So far I would say that it's kind of at the same level of nerve damage but still not as good as vengeance, the s/t or the AMMMMAZING EP Can we call this life?.

Tragedy-Darker-Days-Ahead.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RaxTDCr0aA

Finally got around to listening the latest album from Tragedy "Darker days ahead" and fuck, am I addicted to it. I am sure people will say it's not even close to their best recordings but these guys are so good that they are amazing even at their worst. Will see how high does this one rank against their other records. So far I would say that it's kind of at the same level of nerve damage but still not as good as vengeance, the s/t or the AMMMMAZING EP Can we call this life?.

Tragedy-Darker-Days-Ahead.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RaxTDCr0aA

woah I have to check this out too, also loved "can we call this life?"

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
Devin Townsend Project are coming next April, I HOPE I can make it, cuz march is CRAZY full of gigs here in Mexico, one after the other, We have Theatres des Vampires on the 1st, Sonata Arctica next Saturday the 2nd, then Turisas on the 8th, then Anneke and Indca on the 22nd, theeeen the Pagan Fest on the 28th afaik, Saxon, Nile, pffff
559934_10151442446043680_906781794_n.jpg

I am going to see Sonata Arctica but the next ones, who knows.

Devin Townsend Project are coming next April, I HOPE I can make it, cuz march is CRAZY full of gigs here in Mexico, one after the other, We have Theatres des Vampires on the 1st, Sonata Arctica next Saturday the 2nd, then Turisas on the 8th, then Anneke and Indca on the 22nd, theeeen the Pagan Fest on the 28th afaik, Saxon, Nile, pffff
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/559934_10151442446043680_906781794_n.jpg[IMG]

I am going to see Sonata Arctica but the next ones, who knows.[/QUOTE]

I guess you could say you're in quite the... [I]dilemma[/I]!

Also, listened to the entire Elysium album (Stratovarious) on Grooveshark. Holy shit, what a great album! Far better than I was expecting. Infernal Mae gives me all sorts of Castlevania vibes. So good.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
I guess you could say you're in quite the... dilemma!

Also, listened to the entire Elysium album (Stratovarious) on Grooveshark. Holy shit, what a great album! Far better than I was expecting. Infernal Mae gives me all sorts of Castlevania vibes. So good.

Hahaha, indeed! Dilemma is the correct word to describe the situation! lol

Yeah Elysium album is really awesome! , You have to listen to Nemesis album, Stratovarius blew my mind with that album! they just did something completely different but keeping their style, since Infinite album they never did something particularly great to be honest, at least for my taste. This new album has this kind of electronic and fresh touch, and now you mention that about Castlevania vibes, I am almost 100% sure that video games music influenced this album, perhaps is the new drummer, or Jani or dunno what but woah they just did something HUGE.

FYC

Banned
Thinking I should get the rest of the Cannibal Corpse discography. I only have KILL, Evisceration Plague and Torture, and I really like them.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I'm not a huge fan of this genre of metal but something about these guys just ticks with me. Its weird.

I stumbled once to their concert by mistake and it was worth it :D

Sabaton on 12th, Gamma Ray/Helloween on 18th, Rammstein on 30th April, Iron Maiden on See Rock Festival on 21st June.... damn, too much concerts for my empty wallet :D

Also for all people from Germany - which radio plays rock and metal for all day? My radio managed to caught it somewhere near Kaiserslautern yesterday when i was returning from Luxembourg and it worked to Augsburg, but i forgot the frequency :p

RayStorm

Also for all people from Germany - which radio plays rock and metal for all day? My radio managed to caught it somewhere near Kaiserslautern yesterday when i was returning from Luxembourg and it worked to Augsburg, but i forgot the frequency :p

It might have been Rock Antenne. At least as far as I'm aware they are terrestrial in Bavaria.

I stumbled once to their concert by mistake and it was worth it :D

Sabaton on 12th, Gamma Ray/Helloween on 18th, Rammstein on 30th April, Iron Maiden on See Rock Festival on 21st June.... damn, too much concerts for my empty wallet :D

forget the radio, make some awesome mixtapes instead :p

I guess you could say you're in quite the... dilemma!

All the post-Tolkki stuff is incredibly good. I actually like it more than the earlier stuff, which I'm sure is heresy to a lot of people, but whatever. The new younger guys in the band are injecting new life and ideas into the music and it's fucking great. There are some straight up Symphony X riffs in Nemesis at times, cool proggy/heavy riffs that this band never would have tried a decade ago.

I decided to try and jump into the heavier side of things lately, and I've been listening to the new Suffocation. I like it more than I thought I would, so there's that. The brutal stuff has never really been my bag but I can totally enjoy something like this when I'm in the mood.

Colony too, was fucking awesome.

Never really got into Colony that much, was always a bigger fan of Clayman. I know I'm in the minority on that one though.

I just want to come in and re-instate the fact that the new Helloween is amazing.

Also, is it me or are so many older band releasing really good stuff lately?

I've also been listening to a lot of Slayer, Motorhead, Anthrax, and Sepultura.

I've only listened to the popular songs from those bands and never really listened to their albums. Man, the first like 5ish Anthrax and Slayer albums are amazing.

I've never really listened to Sepultura before but their amazing Orgasmatron cover got me into them once is listened to Motorhead's original and found out its not a cheesey song about sex.

Its funny how all this is connected. Speaking of connections, I only started listening to Anthrax after watching(and loving) the new Dredd movie and finding out they did a song about him.

Metal is everywhere. Long live metal.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Raystorm: yeah, probably it was Rock Antenna. All i saw on display was ROC :D

forget the radio, make some awesome mixtapes instead :p

Well, CD player in my Golf died 8 months ago, there is no way for any other media for this model, so radio is my only friend during driving. But i was quite surprised to hear Balls to the Wall on the radio, followed up by Hallowed be thy name :D we only have some repeating as hell radios here in Slovenia, except if you like Oberkrainer music...

Dom Brunt

Saw High On Fire live tonight, was cool. Gotta respect a band that is willing to play in other cities in shitty Finland than just the capital, gives us yokels a chance to hear live music too. It's way, way, way too rare that a good band would play anywhere outside of Helsinki, which is why I hate that city and everything to do with it lol. Fuck last weekend and the shitty useless trip I had to take there since Fields of the Nephilim cancelled (or rescheduled really), teaches me to pay for a hotel in advance when there's no chance for a refund :/

But yeah High On Fire and Matt Pike's jiggling little man boobs saved the week wohoo.

/livejournal

I just want to come in and re-instate the fact that the new Helloween is amazing.

Also, is it me or are so many older band releasing really good stuff lately?

The new Helloween fucking RULES. Not unlike Strato, the last 3 or so albums have been stellar. Helloween have been good forever, though. Well, aside from Chameleon.

Chameleon did have one good song though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-SC4TjmnEg

But yeah, Helloween have been consistently excellent, all the while changing their style just enough every few years to stay remarkably fresh. Andi Deris is a super underrated frontman, too. He'll get shit until the day he dies for being the guy to follow Kiske, but he's a badass.

Also, yeah some older bands have been kicking ass lately with releases. Overkill, Helloween, Testament, a whole bunch more.

Metal is everywhere. Long live metal.

\m/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom