• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Saw Clutch the other night, for the third time, and man they always impress. Just amazing stuff. They played a couple songs off the new album, Earth Rocker, which hits on March 19th, and they sounded bad ass. Definitely a Robot Hive / Blast Tyrant vibe off them.

One of the opening bands really impressed me, Scorpion Child out of Austin, TX. They had some terrific riffs and an awesome lead singer.

In good news, the new Cathedral album, Last Spire will be released by the end of April. You can already pre-order it. Transparent blue vinyl edition will be miiiiine!
New single: Tower of Silence. :) (Still waiting for that video, though!)
Can't wait to spin that one on my turntable!

Ravager61

Just want to say that I think A Matter of Life and Death is a top tier Iron Maiden album.

I'm not sure what my favorite is. Probably Piece of Mind or Powerslave.

-Eddman-

Just want to say that I think A Matter of Life and Death is a top tier Iron Maiden album.

Don't really know why, but that album is generally reviled by everyone. I think it's good but not great. "Lord of light" was particularly brilliant.

My favorite Maiden album is always a triple tie between Number of the Beast, Powerslave and Somewhere in Time.

My personal favorite Maiden album is Powerslave, and one of my favorite Maiden songs is Powerslave. Which is weird because I think other albums like Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son are better, I just love Powerslave.

Melchiah

My personal favorite Maiden album is Powerslave, and one of my favorite Maiden songs is Powerslave. Which is weird because I think other albums like Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son are better, I just love Powerslave.

I dunno what my fave album used to be, but Aces High was my favorite song, probably because it was the first song I heard from them. I kinda stopped listening to them when I was 12, as my parents started liking some of their songs (especially Run to the Hills), and at that age it just rubbed me the wrong way. In retrospect, I'm glad they never liked WASP. =D

Ravager61

Don't really know why, but that album is generally reviled by everyone. I think it's good but not great. "Lord of light" was particularly brilliant.

I think some of the bitterness from that album comes from the fact that Iron Maiden played the album in its entirety when touring after it was released, which pissed people off. I saw that tour though, and it was great.

Hive minds suck sometimes.

Metalmarc

R.I.P clive burr

Best maiden

Number of the beast
Powerslave
7th son
Brave new world
Matter of life and death
Piece of mind
Killers
Somewhere in time

Best live
Beast over hammersmith (from box set)
Live after death
Flight 666

Best bruce solo album
Chemical wedding
Accident of birth
Tyranny of souls
Scream for me brazil

Notable mentions
Pyscho motel - welcome to the world/state of mind

Flight 666 was an awesome live set. Just goes to show how awesome Maiden still are live after all these years.

Incredible set, and DVD package for sure.

As expected, the answers for favorite Iron Maiden album are a bit all over the place, which is awesome. In hindsight, I would like to change my answer to everything up to Seventh Son as well, seeing as it's now an acceptable answer. And also the correct one. :)

My favourite Maiden album changes every few years or so, but at the moment I'd have to go with Somewhere in Time - other than Heaven Can Wait going on 3 minutes too long, I love pretty much every song, the 3 Adrian Smith written songs being the highlights (Wasted Years, Sea of Madness & Stranger in a Strange Land).

My favourite Maiden album changes every few years or so, but at the moment I'd have to go with Somewhere in Time - other than Heaven Can Wait going on 3 minutes too long, I love pretty much every song, the 3 Adrian Smith written songs being the highlights (Wasted Years, Sea of Madness & Stranger in a Strange Land).

I've always wanted to see/hear a live version of Alexander The Great as it's one of my favorite Maiden songs, but I can see why they never play it live.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Checking out Helloween latest tour playlist and it is quite good. Not so sure about that one from Gamma Ray ....

Melchiah

Two things....

We (Black Dawn) bid farewell to our longtime guitarist Mordant, and wish him the best with Alghazanth. Hereby, we welcome the new cultists, TG (Baptism) and Cult (Forgotten Horror, Jess & the Ancient Ones, Deathchain), to our colorless collective. It's refreshing to have a wholly ideologically devoted lineup for the first time in 21 years.

And we're finally starting to get the old school gore grind project evolved. We have four songs ready with the guy behind Desolate Shrine, and Boman/Demilich forsworn to the project.

Edit. #2 finding the correct old sound is harder than it might seem.

Two things....

We (Black Dawn) bid farewell to our longtime guitarist Mordant, and wish him the best with Alghazanth. Hereby, we welcome the new cultists, TG (Baptism) and Cult (Forgotten Horror, Jess & the Ancient Ones, Deathchain), to our colorless collective. It's refreshing to have a wholly ideologically devoted lineup for the first time in 21 years.

And we're finally starting to get the old school gore grind project evolved. We have four songs ready with the guy behind Desolate Shrine, and Boman/Demilich forsworn to the project.

Good news about the goregrind project. There's very little quality goregrind out there, which is unfortunate.

Two things....

\m/
Cant wait to hear it and Im assuming Boman will handle vocal duties, cause ya know, gurgly vocals and all...

lQW9zZp.jpg

Sloths of Northern Darkness

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
lQW9zZp.jpg

Sloths of Northern Darkness

LMAO, I laughed at this entirely too hard, thanks!

To chime in on my fav Maiden album, it's easily 7th Son. I saw them live on this last tour where they recreated the 7th Son tour, and it was amazing. Somewhere in Time has gotta be my 2nd favorite.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Omnium Gatherum's Oblivion is fuckin epic!!! Melo-Death Album Of The Year! Definitely my top 5 albums of '13.

Currently Im hearing Helloween's Straight Out Of Hell. So far I dig..especially Waiting For The Thunder. That's mah song guyz.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Just returned from Gamma Ray / Helloween concert. My ears are rining, i have to be awake in 5 hours, but it was worth it.

Just returned from Gamma Ray / Helloween concert. My ears are rining, i have to be awake in 5 hours, but it was worth it.

They are slowly leaking out dates for the US, so far two West Coast and 1 in NY. Its supposed to be a full fledged tour. I really hope they come to Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom