• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Kekal dropped three little pieces of info today.

1. Their 10th full-length album will be 2015.
2. The released a little 5 track EP by surprise today, for free, limited to 1000 free downloads.
3. An additional EP is likely in 2014.

http://kekal.bandcamp.com/album/unsung-division-ep

253569046-1.jpg

Downloading now and haven't had a chance to really listen to it, but it's a bit more electronic than metal, but Kekal has been in such a weird sonic spot for a long time. Kekal can be kinda hit or miss, especially recently, but I thought metalGAF might have some interest in it.

---

Just had my first listen of it. Apparently they decided that they would release these songs like this because they just didn't fit with the supposed more classic "guitar and riff" that is going to be on the 10th album. And I can see that. The tracks are very electronic, noisy and almost reminiscent of the Portal 2 soundtrack. Kinda an odd listen, honestly, but I can see where some interest my lie for some people.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
They are slowly leaking out dates for the US, so far two West Coast and 1 in NY. Its supposed to be a full fledged tour. I really hope they come to Chicago.

If you have a chance, go and see them

Kai Hansen stole the evening - very positive attitude, great contact with crowd - much better than Andi Deris.

Kaladin

562295_10151572293870903_1687020669_n.jpg

Details of this year's Scion Rock Fest in Memphis, TN on June 1st are starting to show up......I think the headliner is Testament. Never thought I'd see Testament, Melvins and Municipal Waste headline the same bill.....talk about a mix of styles.

Edit: I guess it's not too far of a stretch....but still an odd pairing.

blahness

562295_10151572293870903_1687020669_n.jpg

Details of this year's Scion Rock Fest in Memphis, TN on June 1st are starting to show up......I think the headliner is Testament. Never thought I'd see Testament, Melvins and Municipal Waste headline the same bill.....talk about a mix of styles.

Edit: I guess it's not too far of a stretch....but still an odd pairing.

FUCKING ICE DRAGON!! I hope this means they will do a tour of some sorts.

Enosh

Kaladin

So every year I go to an independent roots/country/blues/bluegrass/punk festival and this year they've booked Scott Kelly's solo act but now it has changed into something even better (and somewhat unique). Scott Kelly is no longer solo and will have a band of sorts with him:

Scott Kelly and The Road Home featuring Mike IX Williams:

Scott Kelly (Neurosis), Noah Landis (Neurosis), Greg Dales, & Mike IX Williams (Eye Hate God/Arson Anthem)

That is going to be some kind of awesome. Also, the reunited Black Flag is headlining one of the three nights.

RDreamer

I thought the last Bodom albums were good. They didn't blow me away and certainly didn't hit Follow the Reaper or HCDR level, but they were still good. I look forward to this album, but I'm not expecting a ton. Hopefully I'm surprised.

blahness

So every year I go to an independent roots/country/blues/bluegrass/punk festival and this year they've booked Scott Kelly's solo act but now it has changed into something even better (and somewhat unique). Scott Kelly is no longer solo and will have a band of sorts with him:

Scott Kelly and The Road Home featuring Mike IX Williams:

Scott Kelly (Neurosis), Noah Landis (Neurosis), Greg Dales, & Mike IX Williams (Eye Hate God/Arson Anthem)

That is going to be some kind of awesome. Also, the reunited Black Flag is headlining one of the three nights.

Interesting! I look forward to seeing what comes out of this.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I must have it. Need full tour dates NOW.

It is worth every cent. Ringing in my right ear died today :D Songs from Straight out of Hell are awesome live. Waiting for the thunder probably stands out. Two songs were quite bad - too long drum solo and Hold me in your Arms (cheesy as fuck). But still, Gamma Ray blew me away, Kai Hansen is just incredible.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So I don't know if you guys are fans of Austrian Death Machine at all, but they're working on their third album, Triple Brutal, and crowd funding it.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/triple-brutal-austrian-death-machine-a-makes-new-record-and-tour

And to top if off, instead of using Arnold impersonators like the other albums they are getting the REAL Arnold Schwarzenegger!

https://soundcloud.com/austriandeathmachine/voicemail-from-arnold

please be real please be real please be real

ADM are ok. Awesome that real Arnold might be working with them, hahah.
You should check out Arnocorps. I think they do it better and way fun live. They have a midget for a drummer for Christ's sake

Predator
I'm Ballsy

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
ADM are ok. Awesome that real Arnold might be working with them, hahah.
You should check out Arnocorps. I think they do it better and way fun live. They have a midget for a drummer for Christ's sake

Predator
I'm Ballsy

Truth be told, I kinda think ADM do it better than Arnocorps, but hey not bad.

And yeah, if they get the real arnold for this one, it's be crazy, lol

Is there any band like Cynic? Dat Technical death metal with feeling.

Besides Death, Opeth, Atheist, Obscura and Control Denied.

Nile, Dying Fetus and Necrophagist comes close... but I want more.

RDreamer

Friend of mine that I work with reminded me to check out The Contortionist. It's a name I'd heard before, so I took a listen. Listened to both their albums quite a few times in the last few days and I'm really digging it.

Psycroptic, Anata, Spawn of Possession (mostly Incurso), Decrepit Birth, Gorguts.

Aside from your post, I think that's all the tech-death I listen to.

Cynic type stuff:
The Cynic clone Exivious. 2 members are actually in Cynic now.
Exivious - Ripple of a Tear

Neglected Fields' first album "Synthinity" for sure.
Neglected Fields - Living Structures

Atrocity was fucking killer for the first 2 albums, then went all weird.
Atrocity - Godless Years

Martyr was cool. Has some relation to that other band Capharnaum.
Martyr - Virtual Emotions

Brutal stuff:
Cryptopsy - Phobophile
Kataklysm - Mould In A Breed
Aurora Borealis - Thrice Told. I highly recommend this gem. It's a 2 man band with Derek Roddy on drums.
Aurora Borealis - Sky Burial

Psycroptic, Anata, Spawn of Possession (mostly Incurso), Decrepit Birth, Gorguts.

Aside from your post, I think that's all the tech-death I listen to.
Cynic type stuff:
The Cynic clone Exivious. 2 members are actually in Cynic now.
Exivious - Ripple of a Tear

Neglected Fields' first album "Synthinity" for sure.
Neglected Fields - Living Structures

Atrocity was fucking killer for the first 2 albums, then went all weird.
Atrocity - Godless Years

Martyr was cool. Has some relation to that other band Capharnaum.
Martyr - Virtual Emotions

Brutal stuff:
Cryptopsy - Phobophile
Kataklysm - Mould In A Breed
Aurora Borealis - Thrice Told. I highly recommend this gem. It's a 2 man band with Derek Roddy on drums.
Aurora Borealis - Sky Burial
Thanks.

Now, the new Nails record.

Suum Cuique

2:21 forward is the most heavy piece of music I ever heard.

Melchiah

Good news about the goregrind project. There's very little quality goregrind out there, which is unfortunate.
\m/
Cant wait to hear it and Im assuming Boman will handle vocal duties, cause ya know, gurgly vocals and all...

Boman will be providing backing vocals on the lower end of the spectrum, obviously. ;) We're still thinking about whether to invite some other Finnish vocalists of the old days. There's a definite old Carcass/Napalm Death/Terrorizer/Autopsy feel in the material, and there'll be slower sections as well, but we try to keep the songs relatively short. Dunno about the recording and release dates at this point, as I'm at the moment concentrating more on the new Black Dawn album.

On a side note...
I9WFMpwl.jpg

Boman will be providing backing vocals on the lower end of the spectrum, obviously. ;) We're still thinking about whether to invite some other Finnish vocalists of the old days. There's a definite old Carcass/Napalm Death/Terrorizer/Autopsy feel in the material, and there'll be slower sections as well, but we try to keep the songs relatively short. Dunno about the recording and release dates at this point, as I'm at the moment concentrating more on the new Black Dawn album.

I am extremely looking forward to this. Every once in a while there will be bands to look forward to because they know what they're doing/talking about and this sounds like one of them. I hope this goes well for you and the rest.

Melchiah

I am extremely looking forward to this. Every once in a while there will be bands to look forward to because they know what they're doing/talking about and this sounds like one of them. I hope this goes well for you and the rest.

Nice to hear that. Of course it's always a matter of perception, whether the material sounds like the golden oldies to everyone's ears, but I hope we manage to convey a similar atmosphere. The idea is not to copy anything, but to pay tribute to those old albums we grew up with. One mini-album, and possibly one gig, and that's it for the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom